Cutlass AM/FM/CB Radios

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2011, 01:22 PM

Cutlass AM/FM/CB Radios

Does anyone know what year Olds started offering a CB radio option in a Cutlass? I have a Royce AM/FM/CB radio and was wondering if it is aftermarket or whether Olds offered it as an option in some year cars. It is a radio designed to mount in the dash, not under it or in a remote location.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM

This is a picture of the radio. Factory or aftermarket?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC04539 (3).jpg (83.3 KB, 85 views)
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That is an aftermarket radio.

GM radios were made by Delco - they did not offer "third party" equipment.

- Eric
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:47 AM

If GM ever offered a CB radio option in a Cutlass or any Olds, and I'm seriously wondering if they ever did at all, I'm guessing it wouldn't have been until the late '70s, when the CB "craze" (recall the song "Convoy" from 1975) was going full tilt.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:49 AM

I agree with the late 70's. I know they were offered in Pontiacs, and probably other GM divisions also. We do 3 or 4 multi day tours a year with our local antique car club, and there is no better way I know of to communicate with the who group in real time. The group can get spread out because of traffic lights, and the CB works well. I use a Cobra unit that I put in the car when we travel, and remove it otherwise. I thought an indash might be nice, if it worked as well as the separate unit. Even better if it was correct for the car, but I don't think it is either.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by brown7373
I thought an indash might be nice, if it worked as well as the separate unit.
Then you have nothing more to worry about.

The in-dash units all worked like crap, whether on CB, AM, or FM.

Frankly, the modern FM FPRS (or some string of letters like that...) radios are great for that kind of thing - very clear and with settable squelch tones so they only sound off if the call is for you.

I did my share of the "Breaker one-nine" thing back in the day, and if all you're trying to do is communicate with members of your own group, the modern radios are the way to go.

- Eric
Old December 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM

For 2-way Mobile communications, I use Amateur Radio 2-Meter-FM (VHF/UHF equipment). To keep it concealed, most new amateur Radio mobile units have a Remote head, so you can stick the larger body under the seat or in the Trunk. The head I just stick to the dash with velcro.

I also keep the magnetic trunk mount antenna in the trunk when I am not using it, or if I am showing the car.
The range of a 2-meter-FM rig in a car is 5-20 miles-simplex, 20-80 miles via a repeater, or in Digital mode with internet access, All USA, vrs a CB of 1-2 Miles.
Times have changed good buddy.
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice rig.

So you guys aren't driving down the road typing out Morse code anymore huh ?

- Eric
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Nice rig.

So you guys aren't driving down the road typing out Morse code anymore huh ?

- Eric
Some of my friends do Morse Code while driving on the HF band, with a ring on the Thumb and next Finger (tap tap tap). I prefer VHF Terrestial Voice and Low orbiting Satellites while driving, but that's for a different thread.

If you need Reliable 10-20 mile Car to Car radio links, then look into Amateur Radio equipment. The radio test is too easy and only costs under 10 bucks for the license. The equipment is affordable and reliable. and you can hide it under the seat.
73 WF1F
Old December 5th, 2011, 07:22 AM

When you say "2 way" radio, do you mean only 2 cars? We travel in groups of 15 to 20 cars (and in years past, have had as many as 35), and sometimes need to communicate to everyone instantly...wrong turn, someone breaks down, someone is lost, detour etc.
Old December 5th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No, he means transmit and receive.

The fancy modern ham gear he's talking about sounds great, but you're probably not going to get 40 people to pay the price if admission.

The modern FM "walkie-talkies" ("FPRS" or whatever) that you can get now are much cheaper, but have nowhere near the range - you'll be lucky to get a mile out of them on the road.

- Eric.
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:43 AM

For the most part, CB radio works great for us. It lets everyone communicate with each other all the time. Of course, sometimes 2 people talkat once, but that is no different than if you are all sitting around in a room. None of us use the CB on a daily basis, only when we travel in groups.

You are right MDchanic, we won't get 40 people to junk thrie CB radios that work, to buy 2 way. We aren't a business that uses them every day, or needs more than a mile or 2 range, in most instances. Just out of curiosity, what do decent 2 way radios cost, that would be portable. No one leaves the radio in or antennas on the the car unless we are traveling.
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:08 PM

2-way Radio Options for Groups of cars:
If you want to use a 2-way radio in a car, similar to CB, you have a few choices. The longer the reliable range the higher the price.

Option #1
The least expensive option is FRS Hand held radios. These (FM 2.5k) walki-talkies cost $10-30 each and have a Half-watt output (500 mw). Their range from inside a car to another car is ¼ to ½ mile (The metal roof and trees will effect their range).

Option #2
GMRS (FM 2.5k) radio have up to a 2.0-watt capacity and require an $85 license. The cost $30-100 depending on power output. Their range from inside a car to another car is ¼ to 1 mile (The metal roof and trees will effect their range). The range will be a little longer than FRS.

Option #3
CB Radio (AM). Price $50-200 for a mobile radio and external antenna. Power 5 watts. Since the antenna (4-8 feet) is out side of the car, the “Reliable” range is good, between 1-2 miles of reliable range.

Option #4
Amateur Radio. The license cost approx $10 and a very easy written test. New VHF (FM 5.0k and 2.5k) mobile radio costs $150-300. Power typically 45 watts FM. Used Radios can be found for under $100.
A mobile radio will require a 1 to 2-foot antenna on the car. Range Car to Car with average trees is 2-5+ miles for reliable communications (simplex mode).
Through a Repeater 20-80 miles.

Terminology:
Most of you are familiar with CB Radio. When a bunch of people are on the same channel you can all talk to each other. That is called Simplex, everyone on 1 channel. All of the radios listed above support the mode called Simplex. They just use different radio bands and modulation formats (AM or FM 2.5k or 5.0k).
A CB can not talk to FRS or GMRS or Amateur Radio etc.

GRMS and Amateur Radios also support a mode called “Repeaters”. There are over 1,000 free Amateur Radio repeaters in the USA. A repeater is like a simple Cell-phone-tower. To keep it simple, the Repeater extends the range of your radio. If the repeater is on a tall building, it will hear your car signal 10-30 miles away, and rebroadcast your signal from the tall building. This will give you are car to car range of 20-80 miles.

Range:
Salesmen stretch the truth. If you are on a tall cruse ship at sea, and your friend is on another tall cruse ship at sea 25 miles apart. It is theoretically possible that a pair of hand-held GMRS radio will be able to communication in that specific situation, 25
miles over water (Line of Site).

However Trees and Hills suck-up radio signals. Your car to car range will be much shorter than what the salesmen will tell you.
If you are parked on a tall hill, overlooking a larger valley area, you will have longer than the usually range into the valley.
On one occasion I used a 5 watts hand held radio, with a 12” antenna and I talked to a guy (line-of-Site) 500+ miles away. That is the exception to the rule. And he was on board the ISS, directly over my house (no trees between us, just open space).
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:22 PM

So then we are currently at option #3. If no one owned a CB and we were starting from scatch, probably option #4 would be the way to go. I guess for now, we will continue to live in the 70's, which is not really bad for a bunch of people driving cars mostly built before the 70's. Thanks for your input.
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:50 PM

If you are going to use CB, the please avoid channel 19 if you have children in the car. There seems to be an unwritten rule that when using channel 19, you must use the F-word in every sentence.

Also, in 2012 is the next peak Sun spot cycle. The more sun spots the greater the skip-range of CB (all radio bands 10-30 mHz will be enhanced). On the CB band, where ever it is High Noon, you will hear people from that part of the world. The down side is since the band is Open during daylight hours, it will be difficult to carry on local conversations until a few hours after sunset.
Maybe it’s a good idea to stuff a few FRS radio’s in the Glove box.

Example:
From Boston at 6AM, its 12 Noon in London, so you will hear lots of British/Irish accents on CB (and yes most of the stations are only running 5-10 watts).
From Boston at 12 Noon, you will hear East coast states.
From Boston at 6 PM, you will hear West coast states.
Officially I think the old FCC rule of maximum legal conversation on CB is 150 Miles.

Enjoy
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM

No, we never use 19. There is just too much trucker chatter. We usually pick 13 or somewhere there about so we are only talking among ourselves. It is not at all like Smaky and the Bandit.
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Miles71
If you are going to use CB, the please avoid channel 19 if you have children in the car. There seems to be an unwritten rule that when using channel 19, you must use the F-word in every sentence.

I guess I AM getting old.

The last time I used CB, the people were polite, and nobody ever used foul language, as it was against FCC rules, and generally a rude thing to do, and most of these truckers were Southerners, and fancied themselves to be some sort of gentlemen.

Times change...

- Eric
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:43 AM

I live in south Florida, although the best areas to tour for 3 to 5 days is north of Orlando. There are a lot of back roads and some beautiful scenery. No mountains, but some rolling hills. We were traveling through an area a few years back, and the channel we were using was also the method of communication for some trucking terminal. And about every third word was F*%$ this and F&$% that. Then the guy told us to get off "HIS" channel, and threatened to come out and "get us". Real jerk.
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Then the guy told us to get off "HIS" channel, and threatened to come out and "get us".
That's when I would have zip-tied the microphone key down, placed the mic on top of a dashboard speaker, and cranked up my favorite tunes .

- Eric
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
new waver

Now I really want to mount a C.B. in my Vista Cruiser with a big old whip hanging off the rear bumper!
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:17 AM

My 1980 Regency has a factory installed AM/FM CB eight track in it...with tri-band power antenna... Model # 00BFTC1.
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Does your 1980 Regency radio say Delco? At some point, GM and other manufacturers started using aftermarket brand radios installed at the factory. I just don't know when they started that. I have owned cars in recent years with Bose systems, Boston Acoustics and others that escape me at the moment.
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
That's when I would have zip-tied the microphone key down, placed the mic on top of a dashboard speaker, and cranked up my favorite tunes .

- Eric
Then thats when you're life turns into "Joyride", featuring Paul Walker...
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
"me somebody" site member

No mobile radio for me right now, though I did run a nice aftermarket in-dash AM/FM/CB in my Jetstar when I first got it. Even had a nice fender mounted antenna that was made esp. for "combined" radios and was quite stealthy.

Looking forward to testing "skip" with my Dad's old Siltronix 1011B based unit though...hooking up a dipole antenna this coming weekend.
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:00 AM

Does your 1980 Regency radio say Delco? At some point, GM and other manufacturers started using aftermarket brand radios installed at the factory. I just don't know when they started that. I have owned cars in recent years with Bose systems, Boston Acoustics and others that escape me at the moment.
It reads Delco or GM on the face, have to go and look at it again... has a Delco sticker on it...my Aurora has a Bose in it and reads Oldsmobile on the face and Bose Accoustimas on the door panels...
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

At some point, GM and other manufacturers started using aftermarket brand radios installed at the factory.
I'm no expert in automotive parts sourcing, but I'm 99% sure that Bose, et al. did not actually make all those Bose, etc. radios in newer cars - the automakers just licensed the names and some aspects of the electronic design from the companies as a marketing move. Maybe someone here can say for sure, but I'm pretty sure that the actual manufacturing was done by Delco or an offshore Delco contractor.

- Eric
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM

On the caravan to Lansing for the 100th we used CB all the way. It was great. I have an antenna that looks like a AM-FM antenna, but it's for the CB. The Audiovox 40 channel CB is under the ashtray. I might buy a 23 channel period correct CB to install.

DSC_5877.jpg

Image082-1.jpg