1972 Hood to Cowl Weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:41 AM

1972 Hood to Cowl Weatherstrip

I bought 2 cowl to hood weatherstrips for my 72 convertible from OPGI. A foam and a rubber hood to cowl set. My car currently has only what appears to be the rubber one attached to the cowl. I see no holes in the hood to attach the foam one, which supposedly seals against the rubber one. Where does it attach? Do I have a replacement hood that doesn't have the holes, or does it attach somewhere else?
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:03 AM

You will most likely need to use the foam one monted on the cowl. I tried the rubber one and it was too hard and thick and the hood will not close in rear. The original one was a more flexible rubber when new, but now hardened.
I am hoping they made better rubber ones by now!

You have to make your own holes with a razor knife - not too hard. Just mark an edge hole on the underside with a permanent marker for the first hole, make a slit on the line that goes towards the windshield, and insert the T shaped plastic fastener. Mark the rest of the holes while its on the car, then remove it and do the cutting. Then install!
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:05 AM
72 Olds CS

my 72 only has the rubber one I couldnt find any evidence of the foam one.

FYI I had to punch holes inthe rubber one to install it. I drilled a hole in a 2x4 and used a roll pin punch (square edges) to punch holes inthe rubber. I tried another method and wasnt happy w the results
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:02 AM

Brown - To answer your question there isn't supposed to be anything attached to the hood itself, that's why your hood doesn't have any holes back there on the underside.

The FOAM piece is what is used at the top of the cowl/firewall....this will contact and seal against the hood underside. As Rob mentioned, the foam piece will conform to the hood contact surface and allow the hood to shut in the back all the way.

The vendor either wants you to believe you need both pieces (so they can charge you for two) OR they included two cowl pieces...one being the soft foam and the other being the denser/stiffer rubber and you have a choice of which one to use on the cowl. This has been an ongoing question with lots of people as some vendors seem to sell a rubber piece, others a foam piece, and some give you a choice. People that try installing a new rubber version always seem to have problems with the hood not wanting to settle back/down over the cowl. As you already know, the softer foam is what you use.

Again, nothing is used on the hood itself.

Last edited by 70Post; October 31st, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
As Rob mentioned, the foam piece will conform to the hood contact surface and allow the hood to shut in the back all the way.
But remember, it will still take some time in the heat for the hood to close all the way in back as the foam mashes down. It might stick up 1/4-1/8" for a little while.
The rubber one was crap - hood stuck up a half inch in back and I doubt it would settle in my lifetime...
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the input. Seems like OPGI must be incorrect. Their catalog clearly states that "On 68-72 models, two seals are necessary - the cowl seal as well as the rear hood edge seal. They seal up against each other for a proper fit".

Looks like the rubber one is going back.

Last edited by brown7373; October 31st, 2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM

OPG marketing... I see lots of incorrect parts listed in their cataling.
Old October 31st, 2011, 06:23 PM

The seal up at the cowl is fastened by metal clips or plastic and glue from the factory. The seal sits up against when you close it. If your car has the metal clips, then there is chance you may be able to re-use them.

Fusick automotive has the correct seal that will allow the hood to sit as it should.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
But remember, it will still take some time in the heat for the hood to close all the way in back as the foam mashes down. It might stick up 1/4-1/8" for a little while.
The rubber one was crap - hood stuck up a half inch in back and I doubt it would settle in my lifetime...
Rob - The vendor was just trying to give you a cowl induction hood feature