Rear Sway bar/aftermarket-62 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2015, 08:20 AM

Rear Sway bar/aftermarket-62 Cutlass

Anyone do a REAR sway bar? I bought an Addco bar and install kit some time ago and am just starting to install. It’s an ADDCO #936. The “Anchor Plate” (ADDCO’s term for the plate the sway bar is bolted to and which in turn bolts to the control arm) doesn’t interface as instructions indicate due to the “bango” shape of the lower control arm/lower trailing arm. Slide it up the arm and the space get’s to narrow for the bar to fit in between the arms and moves the bar up to the nose/U joint yoke of the diff. Looks like I will need to make a custom plate or in someone’s experience is this a problem part? Thanks for any info or suggestions.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:40 AM

Finally have the sway bar installed. Addco made a larger anchor plate for me with one side extended out to 7.5 inches to form a trapezoid so I could fully extend across the bottom of the trailing arm. Be easy to make one. I trimmed it to fit. I also asked them to not drill mounting holes for the trailing arm and I used existing holes-a 1/2 inch hole toward the spring and the hole the ebrake bracket mounts to which I drilled out the 3/8″, marked the plate and drilled the mounting holes. The trailing arm is fully boxed and welded with a full plate on the bottom, internal V shaped pieces side to side at the holes providing full vertical support for the mounting bolts as well as a small plate at both ends. Provided ventilation for all cavities. Won’t be on the road until Spring and I find out how the bar works, hope it’s not too much cause there doesn’t appear to be any other options.

Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:58 PM
Car Whisperer

nice!!!