Steering turns when starting the car

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2015, 11:24 PM

Steering turns when starting the car

Hello, i´m a little bit confused about my steering gear box. I made my steering gear box because it was leaking (new teflon rings, new bearings, all new). When I start the car - and the steering pump starts working - the steering turns full to the left on its own!! What did i wrong? How can I fix that?

Thank you very much

Daniel
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sounds like your spool valve is sitting a bit off center, causing it to provide boost in one direction when the steering wheel is pointed straight ahead.

Unfortunately, I can not see an alternative to taking it apart and having another look at it.

There may be someone here who has experience with this and can give you more specific advice.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old May 12th, 2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Sounds like your spool valve is sitting a bit off center, causing it to provide boost in one direction when the steering wheel is pointed straight ahead.

Unfortunately, I can not see an alternative to taking it apart and having another look at it.

There may be someone here who has experience with this and can give you more specific advice.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Thank you! Where is the center of the spool valve? How can i adjust this?
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You need to re-read the part of the "Steering" chapter in the Chassis Service Manual called "Power Steering Gear Operation."

It describes and illustrates the action of the spool valve, and gives some troubleshooting information.

If I have to guess, I would guess that one of the spool valve sealing rings is damaged or cocked, allowing fluid to leak past it.

- Eric
Old May 13th, 2015, 09:41 AM

Could be dangerous?

Had that happen on a mopar and it would suddenly without cause or notice spin violently to the side. I'm positive if I would have tried to stop the spin it would have broke my wrist. Luckily I was driving slow and was able to stop quickly. Hopefully that won't happen to an Olds but I would be caution and fix it correctly. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:51 PM

Checked the gear box yesterday. All the sealings are in a very good condition but how many ***** are in the gear box? There are only 22 ***** in it! There are enough to "fill the wormshaft" but no ball is left to fill the "ball guides"!