Replacing front springs 67 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2015, 08:48 PM

Replacing front springs 67 Cutlass

Upgrading front springs
I have a 67 Cutlass with stock 330 2bbl engine.
The front springs are sagging. I noticed when I drove the car at night that the headlights are pointed very low because of front end sag.
I looked up front springs from Rock Auto(Great site).
They have with or without A/C. Then Moog has a spring that is in the middle for wire thickness.
If I go with the A/C springs will it be to stiff? I was thinking of going in the middle.
It's not a sports car but it's mushy. I have new KYB shocks going on also.
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kid Thunder
Upgrading front springs
I have a 67 Cutlass with stock 330 2bbl engine.
The front springs are sagging. I noticed when I drove the car at night that the headlights are pointed very low because of front end sag.
I looked up front springs from Rock Auto(Great site).
They have with or without A/C. Then Moog has a spring that is in the middle for wire thickness.
If I go with the A/C springs will it be to stiff? I was thinking of going in the middle.
It's not a sports car but it's mushy. I have new KYB shocks going on also.
Look at the installed height and how many lbs per inch compression to compare the two. I used the A/C springs on mine, but I'm a big guy and even though Vintage Air is lighter, it still has A/C.
Tim
Old May 11th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Are you sure that your car is sitting too low? Post some pictures. In the chassis manual there measurements that dictate the correct height.
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:39 PM

Thanks guys. I will sends pic as soon as my stepson shows me how. Not quite computer literate! Just the basics man. It seems low to me & all four headlites point down on the road close to the car. As far as I know this car has never been out at nite & has never seen the rain or snow!!!!!! The two guys that owned it before me were really weird!! One guy had it in a garage with three other classic cars!
When I went to see it the son(Mid 50s)had it under a cover & in a car port. Dad had passed away & he wasn't a car guy.
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:46 PM

I think I'm going with the Moog springs. They sell one for a/c cars & two for non a/c cars. One has .62 diameter wire like all the other brands & the other has .64. The a/c coils have .656 diameter like all the other brands. I'm going to get the .64 springs.
My son puts them in so I'm not worried about labor!! In my older years I don't do that stuff anymore! To much like WORK.