Convert to coil spring or stick with pneumatic?

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2015, 07:32 PM
1988 Delta 88

Convert to coil spring or stick with pneumatic?

While this isn't a problem now one of the question marks in the next few months/years is what to do if any of the struts or the compressor go bad (they're fine now btw but are kind of worn). Given how hard it is to find some of the parts, particularly the compressor (which seems impossible), I'm awfully tempted to convert it to coil spring. However, as much as it's practical I try and keep it as close to the original as possible, there's just something not quite right with an H-body that's not pneumatic.

So I'm split on what I should do when the moment of decision arrives and feedback from the wise sages of the forum would be very helpful in making an informed decision.
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:38 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Rock Auto sell air shocks and air lines for manual filling.
Try "pontiacbonnevilleclub.com" for help, it's a forum that focuses mainly on H and C body cars, Buick, Olds, or Pontiac.

Roger.
Old January 17th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

It took me only a few minutes on Google to find the air struts at RockAuto and the compressor at Advance Auto (made by Arnott Air Suspension).

Old January 17th, 2015, 12:12 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It took me only a few minutes on Google to find the air struts at RockAuto and the compressor at Advance Auto (made by Arnott Air Suspension).

Is that compressor compatible with the original that's currently in there?

EDIT: Running it through the links website's filter the answer appears to be no. I'll post something on that site Rusty Roger linked to.

Last edited by illumined; January 17th, 2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old January 17th, 2015, 01:07 PM
1988 Delta 88

Well I couldn't get past the registration question on that Bonneville site, but as it happens I might have been able to find a compressor. I've looked for months and couldn't find it and then it just suddenly appeared.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../22062531.html

So that begs the question, what advantages would there be to sticking with pneumatic? Would it have better handling or a better quality ride?
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:26 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Self leveling suspension makes towing easier, and is useful when your wife has been bargain hunting too . Seeing as the parts cost very little I would stick with the air shocks. Plus I think the ride is smoother as well.

Roger.
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:03 AM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Self leveling suspension makes towing easier, and is useful when your wife has been bargain hunting too . Seeing as the parts cost very little I would stick with the air shocks. Plus I think the ride is smoother as well.

Roger.

Well you sold me, in the future I'll stick with the pneumatic. Thanks.
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:16 AM

I can't speak to the pros and cons of the factory system ... it's common enough for resto-modders to go from springs to air ride systems that I'd be hard pressed to go the other way. I think if I had to, I'd pull the factory air and install a modern after market air system instead.