1967 Olds 98 LS Front Suspension help - newbie

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2014, 11:36 AM

1967 Olds 98 LS Front Suspension help - newbie

Working through this beautiful car to make it completely drivable. I didn't buy it to park it in the garage or just go to local car shows.. It's a luxurious, classic, beautiful car my family want to enjoy on the road...

... here's the status. 48 years old so front end suspension bushings and other suspension parts are worn. In fact, pointless to get an alignment with so much movement.

The local shop quoted the job at over $1300 parts and labor... Ouch!
I am mechanically inclined but in no way a mechanic..

What is the skill level required to repair/replace worn front end suspension parts?

There a suspension kits listed on Kantor website. Is this the kit I would need? http://www.kanter.com///productdetai...Cat=39&Prc=181

Any helpful information is appreciated... again, this is not something I have ever done.

Thanks - David
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Administrator

The skill level is moderate, so a tough call on doing it yourself. It's not a hard job, just time consuming. Do you have a good floor jack, stands, hand tools, bench vise, etc...? If not you'll have to make a small investment.

The $1300 is not a bad bid including parts and hopefully a good alignment.
Old September 27th, 2014, 09:25 PM

NICE CAR!!!

There are safety issues with doing this work if you are not experienced. First is that the front suspension coil springs are under an enormous amount of load and could, in the worst case scenario, kill someone during the job if disassembled incorrectly. The second is that this work is on the steering mechanisms of the car and it needs to be done correctly. That being said, if you are mechanically inclined, have tools, read a factory manual and go slowly you may be ok.

It is difficult to answer is $1300 a fair price without knowing exactly what they plan on doing. If they are taking everything back to the frame rails and replacing all of the parts that sounds like a good price. Try to find out what is being replaced.

Is that the kit you need? Again we need to know what is worn out. The kit does not include an idler arm, center link nor inner tie rods, all of which MAY need replacing. Use caution when doing a blanket replacement of everything. The replacement parts may be of lower quality than the original...so why replace what is still good?

If you have a reputable tire store that does a lot of alignments you may get a better price than a general repair shop as they do a lot more front end work.

Try to find out exactly needs to be done and let us know.

Good luck and once again, NICE CAR!!! Give more pictures!
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:00 PM
swat455

don't let this scare you off ..you can use a loan a tool with a dep the tools you will need are the coil spring compressors ,ball joint sep, tie rod sep, there is a c clamp style press for the upper and lower bushings and for the ball joints or just get a press .or take it apart and take to a shop to press out and in be sure they curl the ends of lower bushing so they stay in place.. if you can read fully , have a understanding of safety and not scared to get dirty then do it . you will save a lot of cash . also ive had a 66 delta and a 68 delta I redid with rubber bushings and well after 2 yrs they really sagged dried out etc. and off specs. so when I got my first 66 starfire I did poly bushings upper & lower , sway bar , and joint grease covers .the best thing for that car I feel .so I also did it to my roadmaster. the ride was nice not harsh . great in corners as poly don't give and once the front is set to specs it wont mush like rubber does and after 5yrs no noises .and now that I have the other 66 starfire it will get done too.it will also get my 98 disc set up at that time too.... good luck and may the force be with you............
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:01 PM
swat455

saw your in az were at?????
Old September 28th, 2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by steve walker
saw your in az were at?????
Kingman Arizona.
Old September 28th, 2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
NICE CAR!!!

There are safety issues with doing this work if you are not experienced. First is that the front suspension coil springs are under an enormous amount of load and could, in the worst case scenario, kill someone during the job if disassembled incorrectly. The second is that this work is on the steering mechanisms of the car and it needs to be done correctly. That being said, if you are mechanically inclined, have tools, read a factory manual and go slowly you may be ok.

It is difficult to answer is $1300 a fair price without knowing exactly what they plan on doing. If they are taking everything back to the frame rails and replacing all of the parts that sounds like a good price. Try to find out what is being replaced.

Is that the kit you need? Again we need to know what is worn out. The kit does not include an idler arm, center link nor inner tie rods, all of which MAY need replacing. Use caution when doing a blanket replacement of everything. The replacement parts may be of lower quality than the original...so why replace what is still good?

If you have a reputable tire store that does a lot of alignments you may get a better price than a general repair shop as they do a lot more front end work.

Try to find out exactly needs to be done and let us know.

Good luck and once again, NICE CAR!!! Give more pictures!
The quote is from a reputable tire shop that does a lot of alignments and front end work so that's a good thing.

I have a itemized written estimate I will post soon which should answer the remaining questions.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. More info to come
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:41 AM

Thanks for everyone's feedback and support thus far..
Attached is the actual quote from a reputable tire shop that does a lot of alignments as well in my town.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Attached Images
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:31 AM

WOW great price. You likely now know there is three suspension designs for big car in 1967. The center link for my D-88 and 98 was $200 25 years ago, with mandatory core surrender at parts pick up. I just hope the center link they spec'd is the actual unit your car has as again, there are three possibilities. Yeah they all wear a-arm bushings, my D-88 was worn through the a-arm which is why the car came to me, as no longer drivable. They last guy drove it with the a-arm rattling for over a year. Let them do it by all means, but prepare for a price revision if they have to hunt the correct parts or send the center link out for reman. Good luck
Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Looks like a fair deal to me.

- Eric
Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:01 PM
Hookers under Hood

Decent deal but im surprised they didn't add a new set of front coils. The absolute worst part of a front end job.
What do you guys think ?
The are doing all the control arm bushings . I myself would want to add new coil springs and get that job out of the way. I guess your ride height is good. Very nice car happy to see you and the family are going to enjoy it.
Cheers
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; October 2nd, 2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
Administrator

If the car is sitting at the correct height, it's not necessary to replace the springs. I'd do shocks if required though. What about tie rods and ball joints? There are 2 rubber mounts for the front sway bar that are usually wallered out also.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If the car is sitting at the correct height, it's not necessary to replace the springs.
+1.

- Eric
Old October 20th, 2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
WOW great price. You likely now know there is three suspension designs for big car in 1967. The center link for my D-88 and 98 was $200 25 years ago, with mandatory core surrender at parts pick up. I just hope the center link they spec'd is the actual unit your car has as again, there are three possibilities. Yeah they all wear a-arm bushings, my D-88 was worn through the a-arm which is why the car came to me, as no longer drivable. They last guy drove it with the a-arm rattling for over a year. Let them do it by all means, but prepare for a price revision if they have to hunt the correct parts or send the center link out for reman. Good luck

OK need more help - The shop received the centerlink and idler arm but as you probably predicted.... wrong parts (did not fit this model/year).

Does anybody know where to get a Centerlink and Idler Arm for my Big Huge Beautiful Car?

Thanks In Advance Team Olds!!
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM
swat455

i believe I got mine thru espo springs and things yrs back for my 68 88
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think around 1992 I bought the last one that P-S-T had.

- Eric
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:58 PM

I believe that if you go to the Kanter catalogue, it will show you that your car can have a Saginaw or a TRW? Front end. It also shows you how to tell the difference. I needed a new centrelink on my 68 Delta but didn't know what type of front end that I had so I showed this illustration to the technician who was then able to determine that it was a Saginaw front end on my car. Kanter then sold me the correct part.
Old October 20th, 2014, 07:34 PM

USA auto parts Olds catalogue lists both the Saginaw and "Alternate" center links $268 - ouch!
PS your car looks great!
Good Luck - beepac