Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Suspension help

I've got a 72' cutlass that has some suspension issues and I want to change all the springs and shocks to make it ride better (feels like a land vessel). And I also want to change some upper and lower control arms eventually along with away bars. But I was wondering what you guys suggest and where to get them... Also let me know if u guys have anything for sale
Thanks clay
Old July 16th, 2014, 09:50 AM

I just did my 72. I converted from factory power drums to power disc using parts from a doner car and calipers, pads etc. from NAPA. I replaced all the front bushings, front and rear springs and upper and lower ball joints. Some of the online or catalogs had some of the parts cheaper, but then there is the shipping and handling to factor in. I had also recently done sway bar bushings and added a factory rear sway bar.

I am pleased with the results. I used rubber, not urethane, as I wanted nice manners to drive and cruise and don't intend to challenge new Corvette's through a road course. Some will say urethane out lasts rubber, which is true, but many are not pleased with the more harsh ride. If the rubber lasts another 15 or 20 years, I will be happy.
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:32 AM

It's a slippery slope of might-as-wells, but you can make a nice driving car without getting too serious with aftermarket parts like tubular control arms. My opinion on bang-for-your-buck:

1. Replace the front end wear items - bushings, ball joints, tire rod ends. Moog makes good parts and can be bought as a kit. I also prefer rubber over poly.
2. Shocks and springs all around. Springs depend on the stance you want & I have had good luck with KYB shocks. Search the forum for opinions/advice
3. Upgrade to boxed control arms and sway bar in the rear.
3. Upgrade to a quick ratio steering box.
4. Not really suspension, but it's a good time to do a front disk swap too.

One member did a real detailed thread on his:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t-end-job.html