cutting springs possible?

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2014, 06:52 PM

cutting springs possible?

Hi guys! Just got a 61 f-85 needs some tlc but I want to lower it a little bit just wondering if someone could give me instructions on how to get the springs out to cut them. I'm new to the old cars and wondering if it's even possible?? Thank you!!!
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:02 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by dom992
Hi guys! Just got a 61 f-85 needs some tlc but I want to lower it a little bit just wondering if someone could give me instructions on how to get the springs out to cut them. I'm new to the old cars and wondering if it's even possible?? Thank you!!!

It's possible but please don't!. You need proper lowering sprins and possibly compatible shocks to do the job properly.
If you just cut the springs you suspension will bottom out a lot and do no good at all to your body or frame.

Roger.
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've cut front springs on several cars with no ill effects. I don't recall if the back springs on the 61-63 have full size end coils or not. If they do, you can also cut those. If the end coils are reduced diameter, you can't cut them because then you'd need to rebend the new end coil to fit the mounts.

As for cutting, take it slowly. On the 68-72 A-body cars, cutting one full coil will drop the front end about 1.5", so start with less and work up to the stance you want. You will need to realign the front end when you are done, as cutting the front coils puts the suspension at a different point on the arc of suspension travel, which causes camber change at the new ride height. And yes, obviously cutting a coil will reduce suspension travel. It's pretty difficult to lower a car and not reduce suspension travel unless you can get lowering spindles - which are not made for these cars.

I've cut coils with both a cutoff wheel and a torch. If you use a torch, submerge the spring in a bucket of water so that the cut line is just above the water line. This will prevent the heat from damaging the temper in the spring wire.

Get a chassis service manual for your car to get the details on disassembly of the front suspension for spring removal.
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:32 AM

Awsome thanks alot man very helpful!
Old June 29th, 2014, 08:46 AM

I strongly suggest a cutting wheel (abrasive) so less heat gets into the coil. On later A bodies I found that reducing overall spring height 1" lowers the car between 2-3". Also, if the mounting areas in the frame and A arms are contoured for the end coil, you must leave the spring long enough to fit them. That might mean cutting only a little off each end, rather than a half coil, for example. Also as the spring winds away from the end coil, it may be wound looser meaning each coil is a couple inches away from the next, instead of right against it. Don't cut into that area or the spring won't sit level in the seat and will be bowed when installed.

Add all that to the fact that r&r is not real easy, and you may need several tries, cutting a little each time.

I suggest that the project is more advanced than you want to tackle at this time unless you have an experienced helper.
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:14 AM

I have plenty of experience. Just not old cars. I just wanted to know if it was possible