Air shocks

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Air shocks

Okay, so here's my dilema. I have a 1969 old f85 and I want to put in air shocks so i have control of how the car rides and sits. Air SHOCKS not Bags. Just wondering for ideas and what brand to buy, anything helps but looking to be under $500 for all 4.

Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:44 AM

IMO, air shocks are nothing but a waste of money and time- you'll be refilling them all the time
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:07 AM

X2. Stock springs (or station wagon springs if you want a little height/stiffness) and KYB shocks will be under your $500 mark for all 4 corners.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I found KYB shocks to be too stiff in the front. I use KYB on the rear and Monroe Sensatrack on the front. It rides much smoother.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 350TurBRO
Okay, so here's my dilema. I have a 1969 old f85 and I want to put in air shocks so i have control of how the car rides and sits. Air SHOCKS not Bags. Just wondering for ideas and what brand to buy, anything helps but looking to be under $500 for all 4.

Thanks!
So, your first problem is that air shocks for the front of that car don't exist. No one has ever made them. Air shocks for the rear were a factory option and are readily available from the aftermarket. Of course, you won't be able to go any lower than the stock springs allow, so if you think this is a low-buck way to get an air suspension, think again.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:34 AM

I ran Gabriel HiJackers on my '68 Cutlass S (my avatar) and my '69 442 and never had to "refill" them unless I had intentionally deflated them. I have a set ready to install on my current '68 442 project, once I get to that point.

I also purchased a new set of springs from Eaton Detroit Spring that are 1" higher for both front and rear, to raise the ride a bit. Eaton manufactures their own product and you can order springs with correct compression rates for your vehicle's weight and accessories, that run in length from 2" short up to 2" or more longer than stock. They have an interactive shopping cart at their website.

Like Joe said, you can't use air shocks them to lower a ride, and they are not available for the front - at least as far as I've seen.

Good Luck!
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:37 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So, your first problem is that air shocks for the front of that car don't exist. No one has ever made them. Air shocks for the rear were a factory option and are readily available from the aftermarket. Of course, you won't be able to go any lower than the stock springs allow, so if you think this is a low-buck way to get an air suspension, think again.
Yeah, I knew that I want it higher in the back so it sits with the nose below the tail end. Thanks so much though, I didn't know there weren't fronts. I can get larger springs or smaller in the back if necessary.
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:12 PM

My experience with air shocks on my '70 Supreme back in the '80s was that when they were inflated to raise the rear, the ride was stiffer/harsher than it would be with a taller spring and a good shock absorber. The inflated air shocks were supporting the weight of the vehicle instead of letting the springs support the weight, and this resulted in a harsh ride quality.
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Administrator

The problem I always had was in the winter the oil in them would be cold and the rear of the car would bounce like it had no shocks at all for the first mile or so. I like to modify height with a spring change and then use a quality shock.
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Hookers under Hood

I put a set of air shocks in the rear of my 76 last summer just for adjustable height. If I put the max 90psi It sits up nice but a very stiff ride. I wouldn't know about the cold temps, Its only driven during the summer months. Keep it around 70psi and its not bad. As other say a nice set of rear springs and shocks would have been a better choice for me as well.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:50 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I bought several sets of (I think) Monroe air shocks from O'Reillys a few years ago.
They were for myself and some friends to keep the cars level when pulling trailerhomes.
They worked (and still are working) very well, however they are not a substitute for the correct springs to maintain normal ride height. Part of the sprung weight load is supported by the shock mountings when they are pressurised to deal with an extra load, ok for pulling a trailer or an exceptional load in the trunk, but not for continuous use.

Roger.
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by 350TurBRO

Thanks!
Not going to happen,if you want control of ride height, air bags not shocks are going to give you that .Shocks only control suspension movement- rebound ,not ride height.ya in a pinch you can air up the shocks for whatever but the frame is not designed for that.Nick

Last edited by nsnarsk65cutlass; May 8th, 2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:13 AM

I have air shocks in my rear and I like them but it feels like I have to refill them once a week which I don't like, so now I am going to try a spring and shock combo(Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber ) and see how they do.