Rear shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Rear shock replacement

On a '73 cutlass, how in the heck are you supposed to back up the bolt heads so you can remove the nuts from the shock bracket?
Old August 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM

you have to use a short wrench and position your fingers just right. it may also help to have a punching bag there to relieve frustration. if i remember right you have to feel around and clean off the dirt and road grime to get the wrench on.
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM

This is a job you wish you had eyeballs on the tips of your fingers.
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Talk about frustration,yesterday I fought it for 3 hours, gave up, fixed a drink, then another and another...and ended up quite drunk. Today, I did not make another attempt and did everything else I could do to avoid having to deal with those damn shocks again.

Last edited by msco123; August 7th, 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM

things always go better after you take a brake and come back to them later. well almost always. good luck. if you cant get the wrench on it you may be able to use a pry bar and pry between the body and the head of the bolt and hold it that way. i can not remember if you can do that on a 73. i have seen that done before but don't remember what kind of car it was.
Old August 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM

I realize I'm a little late to help but there is a specialty wrench for this task that used to be quite common(like these cars). Wrench is appx 7-8" long w/ angled 12 point 1/2" box end - appx 45-60 degrees offset. Goes right up over xmber w/ room to spare (can't fit a socket/ratchet up there) & leaves your hand in a comfy spot to hold the handle. Sort of like a REALLY simple distributor wrench w/ only one slight bend

I searched Strap On, Mac & Matco sights w/ no luck, probably discontinued. I have a Snap On & will check the part # if I can remember when I go out to the garage. Lisle, OTC, etc could be checked for availability. You could make one out of box wrench by heating & bending the end of a 1/2" box wrench to an appx 45 degree angle.

If you have a rear shock replacement coming up, these are a real aggravation saver.
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by bccan
I realize I'm a little late to help but there is a specialty wrench for this task that used to be quite common(like these cars). Wrench is appx 7-8" long w/ angled 12 point 1/2" box end - appx 45-60 degrees offset. Goes right up over xmber w/ room to spare (can't fit a socket/ratchet up there) & leaves your hand in a comfy spot to hold the handle. Sort of like a REALLY simple distributor wrench w/ only one slight bend

I searched Strap On, Mac & Matco sights w/ no luck, probably discontinued. I have a Snap On & will check the part # if I can remember when I go out to the garage. Lisle, OTC, etc could be checked for availability. You could make one out of box wrench by heating & bending the end of a 1/2" box wrench to an appx 45 degree angle.

If you have a rear shock replacement coming up, these are a real aggravation saver.
Thanks for the info. I thought there probably a special wrench. I'll heat one up and make my own.
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by msco123
I'll heat one up and make my own.
Try doing this with a dollar-store or Harbor Freight wrench - it should be pretty easy as the steel might be softer...
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by bccan

i have seen many of these bolts with square heads.
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Well, I was changing the front shocks today and was going crazy trying to get the bolts out of the lower mount. One came out fine but the other just kept spinning. Finally, got out my trusty dremel and cut the ear off the shock bracket. Lo and behold, the bolt has a nut on the other end. I was thinking there was no way in hell to have backed up the nut without taking apart the A-arm and removing the coil spring. So I pulled out my Chilton's and they show a j-nut for this installation. I put some j-nuts in place and the shocks installed like a dream. I am now wondering if j-nuts were originally used on the back shocks