Fatman IFS?

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2018, 12:24 PM

Fatman IFS?

Hey All, I'm new here. I am seriously looking at purchasing a 62 F85 in excellent condition that is currently powered by a Buick V6 and a Powerglide. The car has some form of 5 lug conversion done as well as a 10 bolt diff swap.

My idea, since the car needs no bodywork, is to upgrade the front suspension and do an LS (aluminum 5.3 preferably) and electronic overdrive transmission swap. I have done 2 previous LS swaps, so the mechanical aspect of this is no problem. I am also aware the trans tunnel may need some work.

So, my question- has anyone here actually installed a Fatman frame stub in a Y-body? If so, are you happy with it? It appears to be a simple bolt-in, and well worth the effort to bring the car out of the 60s and make it a safe and enjoyable driver.
Old July 15th, 2018, 06:30 PM

I want watch your ride develop on this thread you created however, you may get some different results and assistance on http://www.pro-touring.com/content/1-home?
Old July 15th, 2018, 06:58 PM

Just curious, why not not a period correct V8? Isn't driving an old car as is, except for safety upgrades, part of the fun and fascination with them? The solid rear axle, carburetor, non-overdrive trans, tall tires, and all the other parts are what set it apart from just owning a newer car or an old car with modern day technology and drive train. IMO
Old July 16th, 2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Just curious, why not not a period correct V8? Isn't driving an old car as is, except for safety upgrades, part of the fun and fascination with them? The solid rear axle, carburetor, non-overdrive trans, tall tires, and all the other parts are what set it apart from just owning a newer car or an old car with modern day technology and drive train. IMO
I'm almost 60, old enough to have owned lots of 60's "period correct" cars as a kid. My memories of them are body roll, drum brakes with one good stop in them, massive understeer, bad shocks and tires, and on and on. Maybe I'd feel different without that experience- my son always tells me he'd like to drive a 3 on the tree and I tell him he's crazy. I love the styling and rarity of an older car but also love the reliability and performance of a newer car.

The thing about this F85 is that it's already been modded. The original powertrain is completely gone. The front hubs are modified. Putting the car back to original might be a worthy endeavor for someone else, but the LS swap is what I know. Once I put one in my 86 Grand Prix I was hooked and can never go back haha.

I am not on this forum to upset the purists, I joined because there seems to be a lot of good knowledge and helpful members here.
Old July 16th, 2018, 10:47 AM
delete

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Just curious, why not not a period correct V8?
Just throwing spaghetti at a wall here, but I'd guess that isn't what the OP wants. To each their own. He's not doing it to a terribly valuable car
Old July 16th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Just throwing spaghetti at a wall here, but I'd guess that isn't what the OP wants. To each their own. He's not doing it to a terribly valuable car
Exactly. I'd NEVER do this with a 442 or a Hurst car. In fact, I don't want to own any rare optioned out numbers matching car at all, because I can't leave them alone!