65 442 rear suspension for street /strip

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2018, 07:11 PM

65 442 rear suspension for street /strip

The front and rear suspension in my 65 442 was rebuilt but the rear seems very soft and actually looks to low. The shocks and springs are brand new but look like stock replacements . What do you recommend to stiffen it up and also get another inch or so of height in the rear? I was thinking comp engineering 3 way adjustable drag shocks ? Thanks
Old June 24th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've always thought that the A-body cars look too low in the back at factory ride height. I typically try to drop the front an inch or so rather than raising the back. I've used cut coils in the front.

Shock requirements for drag strip use are very different than for street use. Decide which is your priority.
Old June 24th, 2018, 06:28 AM

I always ran the comp drag 3 way adjustables in my street cars and liked how they formed up the rear , what would be a good firm spring to put in the rear that I can also run a spacer with ? If I run an 1" spacer on spring do I have to get longer shocks ?
Old June 24th, 2018, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by 65oldsrocket
I always ran the comp drag 3 way adjustables in my street cars and liked how they formed up the rear , what would be a good firm spring to put in the rear that I can also run a spacer with ? If I run an 1" spacer on spring do I have to get longer shocks ?

If you are going to drag shocks do NOT cheap out. Buy a quality EXTERNALLY adjustable shock not the 90/10s that you need to remove from the car to adjust. Double adjustable are better yet. I like the Strange brand shocks but there are other good choices like Chris Alston etc.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; June 24th, 2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old June 24th, 2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
If you re going to drag shocks do NOT cheap out. Buy a quality EXTERNALLY adjustable shock not the 90/10s that you need to remove from the car to adjust. Double adjustable are better yet. I like the Strange brand shocks but there are other good choices like Chris Alston etc.
whats the best way to raise the rear up about an 1"
Old June 24th, 2018, 09:22 AM

air bags.

whats the best way to raise the rear up about an 1"

Since you want to drag race anyway the easiest solution is to install airbags in the rear springs. Run separate valves & lines to the right rear so you can pre-load the passenger side tire when you drag race. When not racing you can run whatever level ride height floats your boat.
Old June 24th, 2018, 10:55 AM

Since you want to drag race anyway the easiest solution is to install airbags in the rear springs. Run separate valves & lines to the right rear so you can pre-load the passenger side tire when you drag race. When not racing you can run whatever level ride height floats your boat.
will the air bags actually raise the rear ? Or do they just firm it up ? Thanks
Old June 24th, 2018, 01:25 PM

raise

raise up & down as well as stiffen. I have them in my drag car.
Old June 24th, 2018, 02:24 PM

As Dave said, air bags are the way to go. I ran the right side and left side lines separately to each side so there would be no mix up. Make sure you have a gauge that will register down to 5 psi accurately.
Old June 24th, 2018, 03:16 PM

Awesome, I'm going to order them from summit tonight. If raise the back 2" with air bags do I have to get longer springs and shocks ? Also are there different size bags or are they generic ? Thanks
Old June 24th, 2018, 04:51 PM

Fyi

Awesome, I'm going to order them from summit tonight. If raise the back 2" with air bags do I have to get longer springs and shocks ? Also are there different size bags or are they generic ? Thanks

I use the Air Lift brand for GM A body coil springs & they are fool proof. My car has had several different sets of street & drag shocks & never a problem.