Rear shock question

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Rear shock question

Hey guys, once again let me stress I'm not the most experienced with car work. I bought new shocks all the way around for my 72 Cutlass S. The new shocks
came with what i guess would be a spacer with them and I don't see anything like that currently on the car. I'm sure the shocks that are on the car are pretty old so maybe they made a better version. I just don't want to put these things on wrong and tear up mouting brackets or anything like that. Thanks again guys.
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by B-Mann
Hey guys, once again let me stress I'm not the most experienced with car work. I bought new shocks all the way around for my 72 Cutlass S. The new shocks
came with what i guess would be a spacer with them and I don't see anything like that currently on the car. I'm sure the shocks that are on the car are pretty old so maybe they made a better version. I just don't want to put these things on wrong and tear up mouting brackets or anything like that. Thanks again guys.
You're going to have to post a picture, since some of us unfortunately have no idea of what this "spacer" might look like. The front and rear shocks mount completely differently on a 72, so the ends and the shocks themselves do not look alike from front to back.
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

OK, sorry, I just reread the title of this thread. The rear shocks should have come with a rubber bushing that presses into the eyelet on the bottom end of the shock, if it was not installed at the factory. Some rear shocks also come with a replacement for the mounting stud that bolts to the bracket on the axle.
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:17 PM

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...9915/shock.jpg

The piece I'm talking about is the secone piece under the shock. I hope this helps.
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM

That piece goes between the shock and the mount on the rear. It spaces out the shock so it doesn't rob against the rear. Jkaz
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM

Thanks guys I just didn't want to put it on wrong and cause damage to the car.