Improving Ride on a Daily Driver 1970 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2018, 12:30 PM

Improving Ride on a Daily Driver 1970 Cutlass

I said it daily driver! I drive my 1970 Cutlass 30 minutes to work about 2-3 days a week in the summer. It is bone stock and it definitely needs new shocks. Steering is very floaty, so of course would like to see that a little tighter. My budget is $1500-4k installed. I'd like to just tighten the ride up a little on the commute, which is 30 minutes each way (mix of highway and side roads). Any suggestions on what I should be doing? Any packages you would recommend off the shelf? I will be bringing it to a mechanic for the work. I am assuming he will have some recommendations but I wanted to do a little research before hand.

Car is a 1970 Cutlass convertible, 350, 4 Speed in great shape.

This seemed like an option. http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=77

Last edited by Darkalley; April 23rd, 2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 01:12 PM

I drive mine to work all the time and the suspension / steering is all factory or factory equivalent and it's firm and tight.
  • New springs all around. Spring specs depend upon what ride height, stance, and firmness level you are looking for.
  • New modern gas shock absorbers front and rear.
  • New suspension bushings front and rear.
  • Ensure inner/outer tie rod ends, center link, and idler arm are in good shape. If not, replace with new parts.
  • Ensure ball joints are in good shape. If not, replace with new parts.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 01:48 PM
Administrator

If your not going to push the car on the road or track. I mean extreme spirited driving, you don't need that kit.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 02:10 PM
72 Olds CS

A fast ratio steering box like the lares 974 from rockauto, along w fun71s list and a good friend alignment w as much positive caster as possible will make the car feel more like today's cars
Old April 23rd, 2018, 03:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
a good friend alignment w as much positive caster as possible will make the car feel more like today's cars
^^^THIS! The biggest steering feel difference between older cars and newer ones is from the caster setting. Of course, be sure your front suspension is in good shape first. I would not swap springs unless you think they are sagging. Stiff springs make for an uncomfortable ride and can cause the tires to lose contact with the pavement over bumps - and at that point you have no handling. I like KYB shocks. Also, get the biggest REAR sway bar you can find. The A-body is an understeering pig from the factory. All things being equal, the stiffer end of the car breaks away first. That means you want to make the rear suspension stiffer to make the car more neutral. Herb Adams used to use a 1.5" rear bar on these cars.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Also, get the biggest REAR sway bar you can find. The A-body is an understeering pig from the factory. All things being equal, the stiffer end of the car breaks away first. That means you want to make the rear suspension stiffer to make the car more neutral. Herb Adams used to use a 1.5" rear bar on these cars.
I'll second this. I went through my suspension and did about all of the things on Fun71's list, got it aligned with some good positive caster and it made the car ride much better. But the biggest noticeable improvement was adding a 1" sway bar in the back. Corners much better and flatter. Well worth the additional $$!
Old April 24th, 2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I drive mine to work all the time and the suspension / steering is all factory or factory equivalent and it's firm and tight.
  • New springs all around. Spring specs depend upon what ride height, stance, and firmness level you are looking for.
  • New modern gas shock absorbers front and rear.
  • New suspension bushings front and rear.
  • Ensure inner/outer tie rod ends, center link, and idler arm are in good shape. If not, replace with new parts.
  • Ensure ball joints are in good shape. If not, replace with new parts.
thanks exactly the type of expert advice I was looking for!
Old April 24th, 2018, 11:12 AM

My .02:

Shocks - Bilstein
Suspension Parts - MOOG
Springs - Eaton

Use rubber on the control arms, and poly on the front sway bar links and bushings

Radial tires with a pressure of 30 PSI

Be sure that your front wheel bearings are good as well.
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:06 AM

Hey guys I checked with Rockauto and the lares 974 is out of stock. Can you recommend another supplier?
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Darkalley
Hey guys I checked with Rockauto and the lares 974 is out of stock. Can you recommend another supplier?
I installed this one - very happy with the fabrication and fit:

https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/ch...nents/ADDC939/
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by dalilama
I installed this one - very happy with the fabrication and fit:

https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/ch...nents/ADDC939/
that doesn't show as a steering box!
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:25 AM
72 Olds CS

Call lares they're a us company, I've spoken to them on the phone a couple times over the years.

there is other options too a jeep box ( search on here common swap), have yours rebuilt w fast ratio, big bucks replacement fast ratios are availible too.
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:29 AM
72 Olds CS

I just looked on RA they list it as a return and rebuild service. I have my orifginal box if your interested I would send it to them they would send you the rebuilt one PM if interested
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Darkalley
that doesn't show as a steering box!
Sorry - was thinking sway bar...nevermind!
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:43 AM
delete

There is a guy on the Oldsmobile 442 W30 & Hurst Olds Fan Club of Facebook page out of CA that rebuilds stock units for quicker ratio. I haven't used him but people speak highly of him. One thing is you'll want to locate a core so you have the new box in hand when they take the car apart.

Wheels & tires can make a big difference depending what you are running now. A good radial tire on your stock 14" wheel helps a lot if you want to keep it original looking.
I went with a set of 17's with General tires and it made some difference. If you are a smart shopper you can be all-in for about $1K-$1250
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:59 AM

These guys do good work if you want to have your steering box rebuilt.

https://www.powersteering.com/