Rear End Help Needed

Old April 7th, 2018, 04:47 PM

Rear End Help Needed

I am doing a frame off on my 72 Supreme. I am starting to reassemble. I am starting with the rear end and have a question. From all I have read, you are supposed to torque the control arm bolts when you have the weight of the whole car on the frame. However, according to the assembly manual, the bolts for the rear axle should be torqued to specs when there is a 4.55" (+ or - 1/4") clearance between the top of the rear axle and the bottom of the frame. Which is correct? Or will either yield the same result? If either will work, what is the method for achieving this clearance with the body off the car?
I am envisioning running ratchet straps around the frame and axle until the clearance is achieved and the torquing the bolts. Anyone have experience with this?
Old April 7th, 2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ajr2820
From all I have read, you are supposed to torque the control arm bolts when you have the weight of the whole car on the frame.
It's actually with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension, which will then compress the suspension to the correct ride height.
I have always torqued the bolts with the vehicle weight compressing the suspension and all has been well.

Originally Posted by ajr2820
If either will work, what is the method for achieving this clearance with the body off the car?
So is the body on or off your car?
Old April 7th, 2018, 05:28 PM

Body is off. That's why I am asking. I understand the theory of having the weight of the body on the frame. But, the assembly manual makes me think that was not how it was done at the factory.
Old April 7th, 2018, 07:32 PM

I would venture a guess that the 4.55" (+ or - 1/4") height is the stock ride height with the body on the car. You can also wait until you get it back together to torque the bolts.
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fred Kiehl
I would venture a guess that the 4.55" (+ or - 1/4") height is the stock ride height with the body on the car. You can also wait until you get it back together to torque the bolts.
^^^THIS. Yes, the whole point of this requirement is to torque the bolts and thus clamp the frame brackets against the rubber bushing with the car at final ride height. Any other location will preload the bushings and lead to incorrect ride height and potentially premature bushing failure. As Fred suspected, the assembly manual spec is to allow the bolts to be torqued before body drop on the assembly line and still maintain the proper weight-on-wheels height. Since you are not on the assembly line, just leave them loose until the car is fully assembled (but don't forget to do it then).
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:58 AM

So either method will produce the same result. Thanks for the help.