'71 cutlass conv. suspension

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2018, 05:48 PM

'71 cutlass conv. suspension

Hello i have a 71 conv, and was looking to improve suspension and came across this handling package. HKO3 GMA2 on Summits website. Its pretty pricey but i do like the thought of coil overs to adjust height cause i will put bigger rims on it, like 22's.
My questions are has anyone here got this kit or do any of you have coil overs? Does anyone suggest another kit or combo? I see springs on here a lot and it makes me wonder if I'm throwing money away purchasing coil overs? If so, then whats a good spring rate? I have a 455 in it now, was a 350, with a/c deleted-taken off.
I'm somewhat stuck in the middle of making up my mind and need some persuasion.
Should i just clean up what i have with new springs and shocks or go all out and get the whole handling package? Decisions...
I have the money to spend, thankfully, but like anybody else on here I want to spend it wisely. Opinion are welcomed..thanks
Old February 22nd, 2018, 06:33 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I have a 71 convertible also. I do not know anything about that kit. However with the body flex in a convertible, I am wondering if you would get all the benefits from a extreme kit. I would also wonder about bumps and rattles with that large of a rim. Just some thoughts.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I have a 71 convertible also. I do not know anything about that kit. However with the body flex in a convertible, I am wondering if you would get all the benefits from a extreme kit. I would also wonder about bumps and rattles with that large of a rim. Just some thoughts.
You are exactly right about the flexibility of the convertible. By "bumps and rattles" with a large rim, I assume you are referring to the lack of bump absorption in the very short sidewalls (which is also correct).

Frankly, I rarely spend that much on a complete car. Seems like a ton of money just to be able to adjust ride height. In any case, the WHEEL diameter is irrelevant for ride height. Its the TIRE diameter that matters. 275/25-22s are shorter than the 275/60-15s that are commonly used under the back of these cars. Selecting the right tire eliminates the need for a $3500 adjustable suspension.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 02:28 PM

Detroit Speed Kit 3

2" drop spindle / coilovers /adjustable shocks / heavy sway / front and rear

Car handles / corners aw-sum
Want to enter orange cone race some time soon

2 thumbs up

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1964-197...eed-kits.html#

Old February 22nd, 2018, 07:07 PM

That set up looks great!!

I was talking to a friend of mine at work and he said the same thing that Joe seems to be hinting around to. Don't bust your wallet and keep things somewhat simple. I think I'm going to take his advise and spend money on other odds and ins...
Ok the setup I have in mind is going to be 22''rims and not rubber band tires, but definitely not meaty tires either.? Hope I'm painting the right picture..
Questions are what spring/shock combo would give me a very comfortable ride, not stiff, but just right. I believe my upper and lower control arms are good but of course I would like to replace the balljoints and bushing throughout. Should I consider drop spindles as I do prefer the 'tucked' look. Clean and classy is the goal. As mentioned 455 '71 ac deleted. Thanks guys