Ball joints, a-arm bushings. - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Ball joints, a-arm bushings.

Old January 10th, 2018, 09:20 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 31
Ball joints, a-arm bushings.

Thinking of tackling too and bottom a-arm rebuild. This will be my first time. My question is do I go for a pre packaged complete set or collect piece by piece? It's insane that 2 moog ball joints can cost nearly as much as a whole rebuild kit.

https://www.ebay.com/i/201402209642?chn=ps&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frove r.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-117182-37290-0%252F2%253Fmpre%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww .ebay.com%25252Fi%25252F201402209642%25253Fchn%252 53Dps%2526itemid%253D201402209642%2526targetid%253 D398677331039%2526device%253Dm%2526adtype%253Dpla% 2526googleloc%253D9033505%2526poi%253D%2526campaig nid%253D1028253084%2526adgroupid%253D54605285710%2 526rlsatarget%253Dpla-398677331039%2526abcId%253D1130036%2526merchantid% 253D6516924%2526gclid%253DEAIaIQobChMIk-KCt4DP2AIVBtVkCh1VfQfnEAQYAiABEgKVwfD_BwE%2526srcr ot%253D711-117182-37290-0%2526rvr_id%253D1413151086220
1965Jetstar is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:31 AM
  #2  
Phantom Phixer
 
Charlie Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 2,133
Most "kits" are cheesey China made garbage .
NOS GM made parts are the best , when you are lucky enough to find them .
Old USA made , aftermarket parts are next best .
Moog parts come after that . And are acceptable .
I see what you mean , I did a quick search on E-Bay for a Moog K5073 balljoint .
Which is the lower joint for a '65 Jetstar .
Prices ranged from $143.94 (Summit Racing) down to $74.99 (West Coast Parts ) . For the same Moog K5073 ball joint !
On my '63 Dynamic 88 I had several years to gather parts . I shopped E-Bay daily and found all NOS or NORS parts for the front end . And I paid less than I would have from the K***** company .
Charlie Jones is online now  
Old January 11th, 2018, 05:32 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 31,242
If they are correct, rockauto has them for $64.89
http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/moo...ll+joint,10070
oldcutlass is online now  
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:20 AM
  #4  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 31,261
Go read my response to your other thread. If you think the Moog lower ball joints are expensive, wait until you try to find the correct, out of production, UPPER ball joints.
joe_padavano is online now  
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:31 AM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
Most "kits" are cheesey China made garbage .
NOS GM made parts are the best , when you are lucky enough to find them .
Old USA made , aftermarket parts are next best .
Moog parts come after that . And are acceptable .
I see what you mean , I did a quick search on E-Bay for a Moog K5073 balljoint .
Which is the lower joint for a '65 Jetstar .
Prices ranged from $143.94 (Summit Racing) down to $74.99 (West Coast Parts ) . For the same Moog K5073 ball joint !
On my '63 Dynamic 88 I had several years to gather parts . I shopped E-Bay daily and found all NOS or NORS parts for the front end . And I paid less than I would have from the K***** company .

just messaged the seller for a compatibility chart. Hope these will do. https://m.ebay.com/itm/1965-1970-OLDSMOBILE-VINTAGE-MOOG-K5150-Ball-Joint-Quality-Made-in-USA-LEFT/332496410559?epid=656455226
1965Jetstar is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:41 AM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 31
Im not sold on moog yet either. Is there an alternate US manufacturer half the cost? I feel like moog is overhyped due to warranties that rarely get used. I'd rather pay half the cost if the replacement timeframe is the same and not deal with warranties.
1965Jetstar is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:31 AM
  #7  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 31,261
Originally Posted by 1965Jetstar View Post
Im not sold on moog yet either. Is there an alternate US manufacturer half the cost? I feel like moog is overhyped due to warranties that rarely get used. I'd rather pay half the cost if the replacement timeframe is the same and not deal with warranties.
Sure. Half the cost, half the quality. I've previously cheaped out and had to re-replace ball joints after a couple of years. I don't do that any more.

The ebay upper is a smoking price. Note that the uppers are different RH/LH due to the bolt pattern.
joe_padavano is online now  
Old January 11th, 2018, 11:54 AM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 31
SOB!!! I just logged in to ask if left/right was different part numbers and you already answered. Thanks Joe.
1965Jetstar is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:00 PM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 31
65 cutlass calls for same part number right and left? I am working on a 1965 jetstar 1. I know it's not a cutlass but find it odd that the delta or jetstar would have right/left specific upper ball joints but the cutlass does not?
1965Jetstar is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:49 PM
  #10  
Phantom Phixer
 
Charlie Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 2,133
Originally Posted by 1965Jetstar View Post
65 cutlass calls for same part number right and left? I am working on a 1965 jetstar 1. I know it's not a cutlass but find it odd that the delta or jetstar would have right/left specific upper ball joints but the cutlass does not?
That's the way it is . Also note that the Jetstar joints fit only Olds . Not any other GM make. The Cutlass joints will fit Chevy , Pontiac , and Buick .
Charlie Jones is online now  
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:55 PM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 31
Thank you. Is the 98, Delta, jetstar, the same front end parts for 65? Finding the right parts is harder than the labor.
1965Jetstar is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 01:39 PM
  #12  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 31,261
Originally Posted by 1965Jetstar View Post
Thank you. Is the 98, Delta, jetstar, the same front end parts for 65? Finding the right parts is harder than the labor.
All 1965-70 Olds full size cars use the same front suspension. Yes, they are not the same as A-body. These cars are not popular to restore, so the market for these parts is small, thus the limited sources and high prices.
joe_padavano is online now  
Old January 11th, 2018, 01:44 PM
  #13  
Phantom Phixer
 
Charlie Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 2,133
Originally Posted by 1965Jetstar View Post
Thank you. Is the 98, Delta, jetstar, the same front end parts for 65? Finding the right parts is harder than the labor.
The control arm bushings and ball joints are the same on all 65 Olds except F-85 (Cutlass) . I see that the lower control arms use 2 different bushings also , front or rear
None of these parts fit anything other than an Olds , except the lower control arm bushings , which are shared with Chevy .
Charlie Jones is online now  
Old January 11th, 2018, 01:49 PM
  #14  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 31,261
Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
The control arm bushings and ball joints are the same on all 65 Olds except F-85 (Cutlass) .
That's because other than the F-85s, Olds only built full size cars (Eighty Eights and Ninety Eights) in 1965.

From 1966-1972, the only car lines were F-85, Full Size, and Toros.
joe_padavano is online now  
Old January 11th, 2018, 03:37 PM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
All 1965-70 Olds full size cars use the same front suspension. Yes, they are not the same as A-body. These cars are not popular to restore, so the market for these parts is small, thus the limited sources and high prices.
JOE. I found an old post from a couple years ago where you referenced a complete front end rebuild kit from Kanter. Was this one of your trial and error experiences on your way to only using Moog? Thoughts on TRW?
1965Jetstar is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 05:56 PM
  #16  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 31,261
Originally Posted by 1965Jetstar View Post
JOE. I found an old post from a couple years ago where you referenced a complete front end rebuild kit from Kanter. Was this one of your trial and error experiences on your way to only using Moog? Thoughts on TRW?
That post is likely from before the time I got my 67. I have used Kanter for suspension parts for my 62 and was less than impressed.

Moog, TRW, McQuay Norris are all quality brands. Only Moog is currently making parts for these cars. The TRW and McQuay Norris replacement parts do show up as new old stock. FYI, the "T" in TRW is Thompson, which made OEM parts for Olds for these cars. You'll note that the center link, pitman arm, and idler arm can be either Saginaw or Thompson, and the diameter of the tapered stud is different between the two. TRW stands for Thompson-Ramo-Woolridge. Thompson was the car guy, Ramo and Woolridge were the space guys. Combines my hobby and my job.

I interviewed with TRW in Redondo Beach when I graduated college. I seriously considered going to work for them because there was a parts counter in the building where you could get employee pricing on TRW car parts! They even had the parts store paper catalog on the counter.
joe_padavano is online now  
Old January 8th, 2019, 06:02 PM
  #17  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 479
I do have (only a few) N.O.S. Left & Right Upper Ball Joints --- and the rest of this Front End --
in U.S.A. made parts -- but as indicated ------ Jetstar I parts are not cheap -- particularly, if you want QUALITY -- and that IS a smart move on this car.....
And don't pay attention to the answer offering Cutlass / Jetstar ball joints --- those are "toys" compared to yours...
Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... West Hempstead, New York..
mobileparts is offline  
Old January 24th, 2019, 06:05 PM
  #18  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 479
I haven't heard from you in the three weeks since you made your many queries and received some answers that are solid (Joe P's and mine) and others.....
Guess you are busy saving pennies... Because that IS necessary on this front end. -- but if
you can "swing it, monetarily" during this wintertime, I would. be able to give you your maximum discount, while things are slow..
Give me a call when you are ready --- your car will LOVE you....
Craig. 516 - 485 - 1935
mobileparts is offline  
Old February 9th, 2019, 03:41 PM
  #19  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 479
Hello????

You seem to have disappeared...
You're not buried under a tremendous snow bank somewhere, are you????
Let us know if we need to send out an APB.......
mobileparts is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
brandon reynolds
Parts For Sale
2
December 10th, 2013 07:52 AM
hotwheels69
Parts For Sale
0
April 3rd, 2013 08:48 AM
65 starfire
Chassis/Body/Frame
1
January 29th, 2008 12:06 PM
65 starfire
Parts Wanted
3
January 9th, 2008 10:41 AM
<al>
Chassis/Body/Frame
2
June 8th, 2004 02:18 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ball joints, a-arm bushings.


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.