Cutlass 66 shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2017, 12:12 AM

Cutlass 66 shocks and springs

Need some help. I have some front tubular control arms wich will lower the car 1,5-2" with stock height spring and shocks. My car needs new springs and shocks so what to buy. I guess I need to order stock height for the front, could not lower it more in front. Found some shocks from Hotchkis, Sport Suspension Shock Absorbers 79010002. That I think will work, but what about the rear springs? Should I order 1 or 2" lowering springs or just stock height springs? Will the car have to much rake with stock springs in rear and 1,5-2" lowered front end?
Thanks..
Old December 30th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

First of all, I assume it is the lower control arms that you have that lower the car, correct? To lower the car, these arms must have either the spring pocket dropped. Effectively, this locates the spindle "higher" relative to the bottom of the spring when the weight of the car is on the spring, thus dropping the car over the tire. The spring remains at the stock compressed height, so you want to use stock length shocks and springs. I've found that about a 1-1.5" drop at the front end looks really good on the A-body cars, especially with a little "rubber rake" by using slightly staggered tire diameters.
Old December 30th, 2017, 07:24 AM

You are right Joe about the control arms, in my case it will be new lower and upper arms. And I guess I order some stock height springs and shocks for front. Rear I need to figure out, keep it stock height or put in lowering springs. It would be Nice to see some picture of a car with either setup. Do you know some god stock spring brand?
Old December 30th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds77
You are right Joe about the control arms, in my case it will be new lower and upper arms. And I guess I order some stock height springs and shocks for front. Rear I need to figure out, keep it stock height or put in lowering springs. It would be Nice to see some picture of a car with either setup. Do you know some god stock spring brand?
I try to use Moog suspension parts exclusively. I find that the A-body cars tend to have a "tail down" look in stock form, so I like to drop the front about an inch or so. If you also drop the tail, you'll potentially have that problem again.
Old December 30th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Administrator

You don't have to replace the rear control arms, just the bushings. X2 on Moog parts.
Old December 30th, 2017, 09:33 AM

All the bushings will be changed, rear control arms, body bushings, new springs and chocks, and new control arms in front. This is an old Arizona car so all rubber was bad.

I kind of like both tail down and up, but up looks more aggressive..
Old December 30th, 2017, 09:38 AM

One thing.. Is the stock Moog spring very soft? I do not want that boat feeling when I drive.