Spoon sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Hookers under Hood

Spoon sway bars?

Anyone here running the SPOON line sway bars?

I plan on gathering the last of my suspension parts needed over the winter to finally finish my 76 prior to an engine transplant .

I'm in need of a rear sway bar and possibly rear upper/lower control arms, looking for new parts only. ( my 76 was not equipped with a factory rear sway bar)

Since Summit is my preferred place to shop for parts, I only see their Summit Branded sway bar along with the Original parts group.

Looking for suggestions on Diameters etc. Is bigger better for a heavier car such as my 76? Should I upgrade the front as well?
Thanks
Eric
Old December 14th, 2017, 08:19 PM

A 1 1/4" front bar and a 1" rear bar would provide good handling without ruining the ride. The stock rear bars from then weren't very thick and were kinda long and had extra curves and bends that reduced their effectiveness further. Take your original rear control arms and have them boxed and replace the bushings. The lower rear control arms should be reinforced where the bolts attaching the sway bar go through.
Old December 15th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

These cars are understeering pigs from the factory. 1" was the largest factory rear bar, but going even larger at the back will make the car more neutral.
Old December 15th, 2017, 10:59 AM

If you plan on running this on the street primarily, leave the upper control arms either rubber of spherical bushings if you're gonna run polyurethane or a hard bushings on the lowers. All that leverage on the outside, something has to flex on the inside and if it's not the bushings, it's going to be the frame.
Old December 15th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
If you plan on running this on the street primarily, leave the upper control arms either rubber of spherical bushings if you're gonna run polyurethane or a hard bushings on the lowers. All that leverage on the outside, something has to flex on the inside and if it's not the bushings, it's going to be the frame.
Let's clarify this a little. First, this effect has nothing to do with the sway bar, it's a function of the design of the four bar rear suspension. Even with NO rear sway bar, the upper control arms twist when cornering. In fact, the stiffer rear bar reduces body roll and actually reduces the amount of twist in the upper arms. Second, the frame will NOT be flexing (at least not from this effect) - it's the upper control arms that will flex. The stock rubber bushings have enough compliance to absorb this twist without hurting the arms. Poly bushings do not. A metal ball joint bushing at the front of the upper arms will be even better and eliminate any potential binding.
Old December 15th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Hookers under Hood

I had no idea what to do with the rear suspension. I only know I want a decent rear sway bar and hoped it would give the car a different feel.
I think I'm going to order the 1.125 SUM- 720209 rear sway bar, since that's what the suggest for my 76.

It doesn't look like other rear sway bars I've seen but if it gets the job done then I will be happy.
I'm going to leave the lower control arms as is for now since they are a little pricey.
I finally have my wife talked into allowing some cash to go towards the car, its been a couple/few years since I made a bunch big purchases haha.
Plus, the engine is finally on the front burner, so I want to finish with the suspension, with only what I'll need initially, then optimise it once I know how much power i will be planting to the ground.
Thanks for posting here Joe, your experience and knowledge is very valuable to me. I really appreciate the information!!
Thanks again to all!
Cheers
Eric
Old December 15th, 2017, 01:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76olds
I think I'm going to order the 1.125 SUM- 720209 rear sway bar, since that's what the suggest for my 76.

It doesn't look like other rear sway bars I've seen but if it gets the job done then I will be happy.
Actually, it looks very much like the factory 1973-77 rear bars, just slightly larger in diameter. Probably not a bad choice.

Old December 15th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Hookers under Hood

I left the front sway bars as stock when I replaced everything. I used stock Moog ball joints along with all the other components, I replaced all the bushing (stock) on the sway bar and rubber links.
Should I look at installing and better front sway bar. I don't want the car to throw me on top of my wife in the passenger seat once I get more power into it haha.
Eye, don't mind being aggressive with er' but pffffft anuf-said haha.
Old December 15th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, it looks very much like the factory 1973-77 rear bars, just slightly larger in diameter. Probably not a bad choice.

Thanks, I just put one on order. Put-er'-ther, Just the info I needed Joe! Also thanks for posting the photo for all the other 73-77 guys here that may be contemplating about purchasing one.
Much appreciated!!
Cheers
Eric
Old December 21st, 2017, 11:34 AM
Hookers under Hood

I ordered this Sway Bar from Summit on Dec 15th showed up at my door in Toronto Ontario today Dec 21.
My first choice for buying parts, even thou our CAD dollar sucks, I will still shop in the Great U.S.A
My 76 should feel like a different animal this spring!!
Put-er'-ther
Eric

SV100226.JPG
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:01 AM
Hookers under Hood

I've been reading, The front sway bar should be replaced with a new rear bar. Also since the rear is 1.125 the front should defiantly be upgraded. I'm looking at the 1 1/4 or 1 5/16.
My car didn't come equipped with a rear sway bar so the above 1.125 i posted will be added.
Should I purchase a new front one now? Will I have ill handling if not? I believe the original front bar is 7/8
I'll appreciate your opinions,
Eric
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76olds
I've been reading, The front sway bar should be replaced with a new rear bar. Also since the rear is 1.125 the front should defiantly be upgraded. I'm looking at the 1 1/4 or 1 5/16.
My car didn't come equipped with a rear sway bar so the above 1.125 i posted will be added.
Should I purchase a new front one now? Will I have ill handling if not? I believe the original front bar is 7/8
I'll appreciate your opinions,
Eric
There are two effects going on that you need to consider. First, since these cars understeer dramatically in stock form, increasing the REAR bar (only) will make the car more neutral and potentially even make it oversteer if the rear bar stiffness is great enough. The other consideration is that the more the car leans in turns, the less precise the handling. Increasing the front bar improves this effect, even while partly negating the neutral steering aspect of the rear bar. Whether or not the larger front bar is a net gain or not is unfortunately a trial and error determination, as it will also depend on things like the tires and suspension alignment. I'd put the back bar on first and try it. If you find the car is too tail-happy for your liking or if the roll is still too much, then upgrade the front. The other consideration is that you can usually induce oversteer with the throttle, so you may want a more understeer-biased car. This is a matter of personal preference.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:23 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There are two effects going on that you need to consider. First, since these cars understeer dramatically in stock form, increasing the REAR bar (only) will make the car more neutral and potentially even make it oversteer if the rear bar stiffness is great enough. I'd put the back bar on first and try it. If you find the car is too tail-happy for your liking or if the roll is still too much, then upgrade the front. The other consideration is that you can usually induce oversteer with the throttle, so you may want a more understeer-biased car. This is a matter of personal preference.
I will give it a try leaving the front stock. As always, I really appreciate your feedback! I'm sure this will help other 76-77 guys here as well if they are considering and upgraded rear sway bar or adding one.
Cheers'
Eric