1968 delmont 88 control arms

Old September 11th, 2017, 04:19 PM

1968 delmont 88 control arms

i was wondering do anybody know where i can get tubular control arms for my 1968 delmont 88 for some reason mine are sliding back and fourth on the bushing i want something stronger and can handle better please.
thanks
Old September 11th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Administrator

The reason they may be sliding around is the bushings are worn out. Are you going to auto cross your car?
Old September 11th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by danyoung68
i was wondering do anybody know where i can get tubular control arms for my 1968 delmont 88
You can't. No one makes these because there is no demand for them.

for some reason mine are sliding back and fourth on the bushing i want something stronger and can handle better please.
thanks
They didn't "slide around" from the factory. Find and fix what is wrong - likely the upper control arm bushings as noted above.
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The reason they may be sliding around is the bushings are worn out. Are you going to auto cross your car?
its the lower and I have replaced the with polyurethane bushings it put new originals in but they started split once I put the 22s on it and rode for awhile... I can feel my wheel shift as i am driving i have bought everything new even disk brake kit
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:18 PM

Bushings

its the lower and I have replaced the with polyurethane bushings it put new originals in but they started split once I put the 22s on it and rode for awhile... I can feel my wheel shift as i am driving i have bought everything new even disk brake kit
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You can't. No one makes these because there is no demand for them.

They didn't "slide around" from the factory. Find and fix what is wrong - likely the upper control arm bushings as noted above.
that sucks....
Thanks
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:21 PM

what is auto cross?
Old September 12th, 2017, 03:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Have you actually had the front end inspected by someone who knows what they are doing? Where did you even get poly bushings for a 68 full size Olds? Who installed them? Did they even have a clue? What else have you done to the suspension to fit these grossly oversized wheels? Hard to provide useful information without having all the details.
Old September 12th, 2017, 08:28 AM

Have you actually had the front end inspected by someone who knows what they are doing? Where did you even get poly bushings for a 68 full size Olds? Who installed them? Did they even have a clue? What else have you done to the suspension to fit these grossly oversized wheels? Hard to provide useful information without having all the details.
yes it has been to a few shops sir and I'm only on here to help and receive help no to be criticized about the wheels
Old September 12th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

yes it has been to a few shops sir and I'm only on here to help and receive help no to be criticized about the wheels
Again, with out further info (and photos) it is impossible to know what is going on. Every car I've seen with oversize wheels requires the suspension to be jacked up, which plays havoc with the suspension and steering geometry. Given the vacuum of information in this thread, I can't tell if that is part of your problem or not.

I'm sensitive to this because some clueless clown did exactly this to the 67 Delta 88 that I now own, and between the mods for the wheels and the worn (actually, nonexistent) suspension bushings, the front suspension was completely hosed. I've since replaced every part in the steering and suspension to correct this, and have also had to undo several half-fast modifications by that previous owner. For example, there was a large hex nut welded to the outside of one of the lower control arms to act as a steering stop.
Old September 12th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Autocross is a race against time, usually in a parking lot with a lot of turns and short straight aways where the track is lined out with cones. The object is to get through the course in the shortest amount of time based on class of vehicle.

The car does not care what size wheels your running, it cares about the overall diameter of the wheel and tire combined. If you are exceeding 28" then you are running a risk of handling issues and suspension problems. The stock Moog bushings should work fine for your car. The trouble you may be having is the poly bushings that are installed on your car don't fit properly or are worn.
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:44 PM

Autocross is a race against time, usually in a parking lot with a lot of turns and short straight aways where the track is lined out with cones. The object is to get through the course in the shortest amount of time based on class of vehicle.

The car does not care what size wheels your running, it cares about the overall diameter of the wheel and tire combined. If you are exceeding 28" then you are running a risk of handling issues and suspension problems. The stock Moog bushings should work fine for your car. The trouble you may be having is the poly bushings that are installed on your car don't fit properly or are worn.
Thank you I have several cars on 26s 28s and 30s this is the only car I am having problems with. Where can I find these moog bushings
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:46 PM

Again, with out further info (and photos) it is impossible to know what is going on. Every car I've seen with oversize wheels requires the suspension to be jacked up, which plays havoc with the suspension and steering geometry. Given the vacuum of information in this thread, I can't tell if that is part of your problem or not.

I'm sensitive to this because some clueless clown did exactly this to the 67 Delta 88 that I now own, and between the mods for the wheels and the worn (actually, nonexistent) suspension bushings, the front suspension was completely hosed. I've since replaced every part in the steering and suspension to correct this, and have also had to undo several half-fast modifications by that previous owner. For example, there was a large hex nut welded to the outside of one of the lower control arms to act as a steering stop.
I understand your concern but I have been customizing cars to ride big wheels for over 10 years i have several cars with 26s 28s and 30s this is THE ONLY CAR I seem to be having a problem with the only picture I have is when I had it at a show and put 30s on it
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Where can I find these moog bushings
I was able to purchase all suspension parts for my car except the unavailable upper ball joints from RockAuto. I used Moog parts exclusively.
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:53 PM

Old September 14th, 2017, 07:28 PM

I was able to purchase all suspension parts for my car except the unavailable upper ball joints from RockAuto. I used Moog parts exclusively.
ok I will check a few places tomorrow thanks