Researching Tall Spindles

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2017, 01:13 PM

Researching Tall Spindles

Ok maybe you guys can help me out here. As part of suspension upgrades I want to run taller spindles and not taller ball joints. I see alot of drop spindles, stock spindles but very few tall spindles. I am going to be running stock size front disc or possibly 12" camaro rotors since I believe they work with 15" wheels. I know all about the B/F body spindle swaps and I have no interest in going there. Of course I'd love the AFX spindles but not for that kind of money. I'm also trying to avoid increasing bumpsteer problems. So who makes a tall spindle that will improve geometry, not use stock upper A-arms and maybe even improve upon bumpsteer issues from factory design? I have found L&H customs but it seems they went under and Global West has a new spindle but it seems to be only sold in their kit. Now based on their new front end kit those spindles probably cost as much as the ATX ones plus the redesigned steering arms. I have found a set of spindle that seem like a good compromise but havent found anyone running them. They are made by Southside Machine. Have 2" drop and a 9 1/4" overall height. I have emailed them about some more information and I'm waiting for a response. I'd prefer one with little to no drop to save any steering arm issues. When you run the drop spindles do you have increased issues with bumpsteer? Also will there be issues with the steering and 15" wheels or larger wheels if I plan to run 17" on the 71? Ok I thnk thats all the questions I have for now.
Old February 9th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Administrator

This was an interesting post:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-solution.html
Old February 10th, 2017, 06:29 AM

CPP has a knock-off of the ATS AFX spindle that's made with cheaper material and processes.

Frankly, if you want to do it without killing the wallet, then tall ball joints get you all the same benefits and you can get various brake adaptation kits. If you want C6 brakes, then the AFX is the highest quality option.
Old February 10th, 2017, 07:52 AM

When you put a taller spindle in it moves the top of the tire outward. To correct that you either have to pile on the shims to move the upper control arm toward the engine (reduces header clearance, etc.) or get a shorter control arm. This is why they come in kits and probably also why you're shying away from the B Body spindles.
You'd be better off and probably a lot happier buying a kit in the long run then trying to match parts to fit. Do it once and do it right.
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:28 AM

I am planning on buying a complete kit from one vendor but I'm trying to find an inexpensive alternate tall spindle compared to AFX that isnt a drop spindle. I know when you go taller you need the shorter arms up to to allow it to all work correctly. I know plenty are running taller ball joints but was looking for the correct spindle option.
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:52 AM

You can use the Ridetech or CPP spindle with UMI uppers. You will have to change the uppers regardless of what vendor you use for spindle. The UMI arms in the link do not require shims as they are adjustable.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=956

I personally would stick to Ridetech spindles because they are not just selling products they do their own development, but I see you want no drop. Most tall spindles have at least a 3/4 to 1" drop. UMI develops and tests their own products as well with their in house vehicles.

Last edited by csouth; February 20th, 2017 at 10:59 AM.