1972 Cutlass Supreme Sway Bars Question

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2016, 08:10 PM

1972 Cutlass Supreme Sway Bars Question

Hello,

1972 Cutlass Supreme
350 4 Barrel, Automatic

I've always received great advice here so I figured I'd ask again. I've read quite a few posts on sway bars here, but I just wanted to create a post to check if what I read is true.

My car is in storage at the moment so I'm not able to go look but from what I've read, my Cutlass didn't come with a rear sway bar. I'm really looking to improve handling/body roll/cornering.

Would adding just a new front sway bar make a noticeable difference by itself? And if I chose to just do a front, what size would you recommend and/or a manufacturing/company you would recommend?

If I choose to do both a front and rear sway bar, I read that it would require boxed control arms in the rear? I'm quite a novice when it comes to suspension, so would installing boxed control arms be difficult? Lets say I go with front and rear sway bars, plus boxed control arms, what sizes and companies would you recommend I get?

I saw that OPGI offers some of these, but some people recommend a better alternative, usually a cheaper one?

Sorry if its a lot of questions, this would be my first time touching suspension on any car, so I'm quite the novice.

Thanks for any advice!
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Search is your friend:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sway-bars.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-opinions.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s-supreme.html
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by JRev
Hello,

1972 Cutlass Supreme
350 4 Barrel, Automatic

I've always received great advice here so I figured I'd ask again. I've read quite a few posts on sway bars here, but I just wanted to create a post to check if what I read is true.

My car is in storage at the moment so I'm not able to go look but from what I've read, my Cutlass didn't come with a rear sway bar. I'm really looking to improve handling/body roll/cornering.

Would adding just a new front sway bar make a noticeable difference by itself? And if I chose to just do a front, what size would you recommend and/or a manufacturing/company you would recommend?

If I choose to do both a front and rear sway bar, I read that it would require boxed control arms in the rear? I'm quite a novice when it comes to suspension, so would installing boxed control arms be difficult? Lets say I go with front and rear sway bars, plus boxed control arms, what sizes and companies would you recommend I get?

I saw that OPGI offers some of these, but some people recommend a better alternative, usually a cheaper one?

Sorry if its a lot of questions, this would be my first time touching suspension on any car, so I'm quite the novice.

Thanks for any advice!
Depending on your budget you can get the "pro-touring" style rear sway bar that does not attach to the lower control arms, but to the body. It all depends on your purpose and budget.