Moog Single Rate vs Variable Rate ("CC") Springs

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Moog Single Rate vs Variable Rate ("CC") Springs

The darned car is dragging its butt again, like a dog with worms

I'd replaced the original springs with a used set from a 98, then a year later I installed 1" boosters, and now she's sittin' low again, so I guess its time for a new pair.

I was wondering what experience others have had with the Moog "standard" single-rate springs versus their variable-rate "CC" series (I assume that means "Cargo Coil").

The car's got swaybars front and rear, so it's not a floater, but I don't want to feel like I'm driving a hardtail either.

For my application, Moog lists the spring rates as 132 lb/in vs 236 lb/in, so the difference is not small.
ASSuming that my current springs are somewhere between 75 and 100 lb/in, and knowing that they don't feel TOO soft, I'm leaning toward the "regular" springs

What do you think?

Thanks!

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Hookers under Hood

Eric,

I hope this can be of some help in your decision.
Initially I had the original springs and shocks in the rear of my 76 when purchased.
The rear sat a little lower than the front after new springs and shocks were installed in the front.
I tried 3 different combinations before settling on the height I wanted in the rear.
The regular rear springs didn't seem to do the trick, I then added air shocks and with 50psi I was able to achieve a height I could play with up or down.
The air shocks only lasted 3 years, at that time I put in the "CC" coils. They call them comfort coils here.
Tighter coils in the top of the spring for comfort, not sure if this is the cargo coil you speak of.
They did put the rear at a little more than stock height with a decent ride along with new Gabriel gas shocks.
The rear didn't take long to settle and ride height was again a little lower than the front.
I then switched to 76 vista cruiser wagon coils, it put the car up 2 1/2 inches in the rear , a firmer ride for sure.
I'm still running the wagon coils along with the Gabriel gas shocks, I like the rear sitting up that bit higher now.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hey, Eric, was the ride any harsher with the CCs than with the stock springs?

Thanks,

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Never mind - I read too quickly. You said, "... with a decent ride..."

I ordered the CCs. Got a trip on Friday, Gotta get 'em installed.

Thanks.

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Hookers under Hood

I think you will be happy with the "CC" coils, nice ride. Enjoy the trip.

Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Funny thing is I drove about 650 miles this past weekend, and the darned car was lower when I got home than it had been when I left.

Thanks!

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 02:33 PM

Did you check the trunk for excessive baggage - unwanted stowaways or similar?
Old June 7th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nothin' in there but a hundred pounds of tools and two hundred pounds of Bondo.

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

Haha, My first thought would have been a 650 mile round trip, with a car load of cheerleaders. They do love pink!!
Old June 7th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wife would have definitely made me put the cheerleaders in the trunk.

Heck, a few weeks ago, she barely let me put a stripper, who had just crashed her car, in the back seat -- and she wasn't even cute.

- Eric
Old June 9th, 2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Eric,

I hope this can be of some help in your decision.
Initially I had the original springs and shocks in the rear of my 76 when purchased.
The rear sat a little lower than the front after new springs and shocks were installed in the front.
I tried 3 different combinations before settling on the height I wanted in the rear.
The regular rear springs didn't seem to do the trick, I then added air shocks and with 50psi I was able to achieve a height I could play with up or down.
The air shocks only lasted 3 years, at that time I put in the "CC" coils. They call them comfort coils here.
Tighter coils in the top of the spring for comfort, not sure if this is the cargo coil you speak of.
They did put the rear at a little more than stock height with a decent ride along with new Gabriel gas shocks.
The rear didn't take long to settle and ride height was again a little lower than the front.
I then switched to 76 vista cruiser wagon coils, it put the car up 2 1/2 inches in the rear , a firmer ride for sure.
I'm still running the wagon coils along with the Gabriel gas shocks, I like the rear sitting up that bit higher now.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Eric
I've been thinking of doing this to my 77 with the vista cruiser springs. Were the ones you used stock springs or the heavier duty cargo control? (That's what Summitt calls them.) Also did you install longer shocks on the rear then?
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Hookers under Hood

Ron,

I'm not familiar with Cargo coils, I used the comfort coils which has tighter wound coils at the top of the spring. The regular coils are not wound tight at the top, this is the only way I can describe them differently . The shocks I used were also listed under the vista cruiser wagon.
They did push the rear up 2 1/2 inches above the rear tire on my 76. I'm now running 255 60/15.
Hope this helps
Eric
Old June 9th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, I installed the Moog CC613 rear springs in the '73 Delta Convertible.

The ride height looks exactly where Olds would have wanted it (I had actually hoped for just a bit higher than that), and the ride is smooth, and just a little bit tighter than it was with the 98 springs (or the 88 springs before them).

Overall I like them.

If in a week or two I feel like I want it a bit higher, I can always re-install the 1" spacers I had in there before.

Interestingly, I had had to fight the 98 springs in when I installed them, and I had to fight them out today, but the CCs, which have an extended height that's a couple of inches less than the stock springs, dropped right in with no prying, jumping, or cursing.

Thanks for the advice, Eric!

- Eric