1986 cutlass g body

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:31 PM

1986 cutlass g body

I just purchased this car and i was told buy the original owner it has eibach lowering springs installed. I hate the way it sits. The back is lower than the fron and it scrapes th tires. I do t mind the height of the rear and would like the front to match but..... i dont the tires to scrape and if i could dont want to sacrifice the ride quality too much. Right now the ride is harsh and the back is low. No good. I dream of having a car that gives me the traction and the cushion of the charger on fast an furious 1. Lol. I know they have a movie set budget but is it possible for everday people to achieve. You can see in this pic the difference between the front and rear by looking at the difference in the space between the top of the front tire and the fender as opposed to the rear. Its bad to me
Old May 24th, 2016, 02:42 AM

I put a set of Moog Cargo Coils in the back of my '87 Cutlass Supreme. The ride quality is excellent and the ride height is stock. They are inexpensive too: under $100. The car rides firm but not at all harsh. I have Monroe Sensa Trac shocks all around. Full disclosure: I removed the 'Buick' V6 it came with and installed a 500 Cadillac. The front springs are 307 V8 Cutlass springs with a rubber spacer. Ride height is stock. The front is too soft and I'm wondering which Moog spring to put in front.
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

From the photo, it looks like those IROC wheels have too much negative offset, which is likely why they rub.

Also, the best way to lower the front end is to dump that belly button motor and drop a 455 Olds into the car.
Old May 24th, 2016, 05:55 PM

Ill look into the cargo coils android. I need a softer ride with the added performance benefits. This thing feels like a lowered civic with a cummins diesel.. i had about 150lbs worth of tools in the rear and my two sons in the back but they combine for about 150lbs. I removed the tools and its better but not like i want it. I had a bone stock 84 cutlass calais and it rode like a dream and would shred the tires with the stock engine.. i like the lowered look and dont mind it. I look at the clearence tomorrow Joe and see what im working with. Im not sure if it rubbing on the top or the sides considering the offset. Its not currently rubbing since i removed the tools but its still not right. Picture was taken with no tools in trunk.