what springs to raise the rear end an inch?station wagon springs?..help..

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:49 PM

what springs to raise the rear end an inch?station wagon springs?..help..

Hello I have a 1980 cutlass supreme coupe 350 that has a saggy rear end. I just put 255/50 /17's in the rear and would like to replace rear springs and shocks.and raise it to give it more of a hot rod stance.Ive researched for hours trying to find the springs that will raise it.I think the moog cc627 is for stock height. ive read on forums people say to get station wagon springs which is the custom cruiser i believe,supposed to be 1" taller. they show the part# being moog cc623.I need to know if these will fit.I would really like a 2 inch lift in the rear or 2,1/4" would be nice.I was thinking of getting the station wagon springs and getting a 1" or1,1/2" spring spacer for a total of around 2".And then hopefullly stock shocks will work or ill get 2 shocks that are 2" taller i guess..I just really need to know what springs to buy(part#)...any information on this and I would be very grateful,thank you!
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Administrator

I can attest station wagon springs do raise the car, but on yours I'm not sure. I had to go with longer shocks on mine as it raised it 2". However mine is a 67.
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

what about cargo coils ? Also try rubber islolators most on o.e. apps have split and fallen off they are just little rubber doughnuts that co under the spring i think napa sells em for 50 cents a pop . usually they just go on the bottom but you can put them onto each other so you can stack em up top and on the bottom . I dont know if they have them for those cars but the aluminum spring lifts they sell at autozone come in diffrent heights the fit on top of the spring and will raise the stance. You can also try air shocks . I have only ran cargo coils in the past and my dad had air shocks on his 64 impala ss. Cargo coils are also a great way to get a car to launch better.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 30th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:16 PM
*ssholes Garage

Originally Posted by bigjaythe1st
Hello I have a 1980 cutlass supreme coupe 350 that has a saggy rear end. I just put 255/50 /17's in the rear and would like to replace rear springs and shocks.and raise it to give it more of a hot rod stance.Ive researched for hours trying to find the springs that will raise it.I think the moog cc627 is for stock height. ive read on forums people say to get station wagon springs which is the custom cruiser i believe,supposed to be 1" taller. they show the part# being moog cc623.I need to know if these will fit.I would really like a 2 inch lift in the rear or 2,1/4" would be nice.I was thinking of getting the station wagon springs and getting a 1" or1,1/2" spring spacer for a total of around 2".And then hopefullly stock shocks will work or ill get 2 shocks that are 2" taller i guess..I just really need to know what springs to buy(part#)...any information on this and I would be very grateful,thank you!
For what its worth,

I wanted to do the same for my vert and the friend helping me do it said dont do it. I said why? Trust me he says. I did and the rake was perfect. Think about it he tells me, springs and bushings do wear with 30 years of dragging *** around. A new set of springs and bushing are fresh. idk but i thought maybe a new set of stock springs and bushings just might give you the inch your looking for. It did for me, Chris
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:25 PM

I did all new bushings springs and shocks my car at the same. I have run cargo coils, convertible coils as they haved a bit more tensions and 442 coils from a 69 442. The cargo coils sat an inch taller than the vert springs while in and the car on the ground. The 442 springs where the shortest but where way thicker. I have mainly tried all the combos for launching purposes on my car at the track.
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:48 PM
*ssholes Garage

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I did all new bushings springs and shocks my car at the same. I have run cargo coils, convertible coils as they haved a bit more tensions and 442 coils from a 69 442. The cargo coils sat an inch taller than the vert springs while in and the car on the ground. The 442 springs where the shortest but where way thicker. I have mainly tried all the combos for launching purposes on my car at the track.
So which combo gives you best laumch, or is that depending on other factors?
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:01 PM

currently the 442 springs with air bags work good. The cargo coils squated more than the vert springs. I did run edelbrock anti hop bars BUT i bent an axle tube and axle with them . For now the boxed lowers with the 442 springs and air bags works good. Im adding an old set of lakewood coil spring slapper bars which are adjustable soon. The 442 coils i have are o.e. from 1969 and they are as thick as the cargo coils in diameter but not progressive. The vert springs where thinner diameter but where much taller than the stock 442 coils., the vert springs they where just as tall as the cargo coils minus the progressive rate wind. If you have a strong rear end the anti hop bars work great and you keep your nice ride., lower relocation brakets do the same but i have not had money to try em i got the slapper bars in a trade. My rear end may have been screwed before the anti hop bars but i started to have more issues with axle seals and stubborn axles after the addition of them . My 60 ft varried very little between the changes and my times at the track but the diffrence was in the weight transfer in some pictures it squated alot in some less and with the anti hop bars the rear lifted even with the front which is what it's suppoused to do. I dont think my car really falls into needing serious suspension to hook but i was trying to lower my 60 ft. times i narrowed it down to needeing a looser converter .

with 442 coils and air bags is first then just vert springs the anti hop bars

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 30th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:14 AM

There are a variety of different suspension components that will work.However,each car or application needs a certain combination of parts for optimum performance.
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
There are a variety of different suspension components that will work.However,each car or application needs a certain combination of parts for optimum performance.

Well said!
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:55 AM

Could not agree more with you guys. I went with what worked for me. Just thought I would share my experiences.
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:37 AM

Air bags and air shocks will work. I'd recommend new stock springs and air bags/shocks. I put stationwagon spring in my 65 Malibu SS and it rased it 3-4". The first time I drove it I got pulled over by a cop. Out they came. Waste of time and money.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM

Airbags are not the same as airshocks.Airbags are the way to go,if you need them.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:45 AM

I Tried the air shocks on my 1969 cutlass(still have them on) and it didn't bring up my rear end any higher I was a little upset. I am in the same boat I want to bring my rear end up just a little maybe 1 1/2 inch would work. Maybe I will try the wagon springs. Plus she leans to one side (driver side) a little lower.
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Double spring it