Video - 67 Cutlass Handling

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2018, 01:03 PM

Talking Video - 67 Cutlass Handling

Video after doing suspension upgrades to a 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible. The car weighs 4,060 lbs full of gas, so very heavy, not including my 260 lb frame, but fun to drive after the mods ->

* 330 High Compression engine, so not a big block
* Stiffer 1 1/8" front sway bar (correction = 1 1/4")
* Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar
* stiffer coils springs and shocks
* tubular front and rear control arms
* tall ball joints.

If I emptied my trunk of tools and such, I would probably lose 50-75 lbs. I weighed using four point scales at the dyno shop, so it's accurate. Maybe I've got too much rust, bondo, and undercoating (haha).

Last edited by pmathews; August 10th, 2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: corrected sway bar size
Old August 6th, 2018, 02:35 PM

are you having fun or what?? Great running Old Olds!!
Old August 10th, 2018, 05:30 AM

Great video!
Do you mind sharing the parts you used here?
Are both sway bars and the control arms from Hellwig? Curious what springs/shocks you used also.

* Stiffer 1 1/8" front sway bar
* Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar
* stiffer coils springs and shocks
* tubular front and rear control arms
Old August 10th, 2018, 03:07 PM

* Front springs are Moog 6041, with a 1/2 coil cut (was a little too high with the full spring)
* Rear springs are cargo coils (CC501), sits a little too low, so I installed a 1# spacer
* Front 1 1/4" sway bar is cheap aftermarket, probably Chinese, but works fine. It stays flat in the corners
* Rear sway bar is Hellwig 55864, a bit pricey at $280, but I didn't want to bolt the sway bar ends to the rear control arms. The Hellwig unit is independent.
* Front A-arms are tubular, bargain units off eBay, so they took some grinding and massaging with a hammer and torch to fit, but I only paid $100 for uppers and lowers, so it was worth the labor
* Rear tubular control arms are cheap eBay specials with adjustable uppers to help with pinion angle, and they work perfectly
* Shocks are KYB KG5507 and KYB KG4515, not bad, but I could have done better on these. They are a little too soft for my stiff springs.
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't think it's performing very well. I need to road test it myself to verify....

Great looking car BTW!!
Old August 5th, 2021, 05:30 AM

Update?

Originally Posted by pmathews
* Front springs are Moog 6041, with a 1/2 coil cut (was a little too high with the full spring)
* Rear springs are cargo coils (CC501), sits a little too low, so I installed a 1# spacer
* Front 1 1/4" sway bar is cheap aftermarket, probably Chinese, but works fine. It stays flat in the corners
* Rear sway bar is Hellwig 55864, a bit pricey at $280, but I didn't want to bolt the sway bar ends to the rear control arms. The Hellwig unit is independent.
* Front A-arms are tubular, bargain units off eBay, so they took some grinding and massaging with a hammer and torch to fit, but I only paid $100 for uppers and lowers, so it was worth the labor
* Rear tubular control arms are cheap eBay specials with adjustable uppers to help with pinion angle, and they work perfectly
* Shocks are KYB KG5507 and KYB KG4515, not bad, but I could have done better on these. They are a little too soft for my stiff springs.
Paul - Curious how this setup is performing? Any changes/updates or regrets?
Old August 5th, 2021, 06:24 AM

Handles great, but sway bar issues

It's running great, my only problem is the larger sway bar is putting a lot of stress on the frame attachment points, and the bolts are pulling through. I had to tap and run a larger bolt on one that pulled through and wouldn't stay tight. I am looking at using 'nut-serts' as a solution.