Road noises / delrin bushings

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2013, 04:30 AM

Road noises / delrin bushings

Would someone with experience tell me, if delrin-bushings on lower/upper control arms makes signifigant difference in road noise or not?
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:52 AM

I've never heard of "delrin" before. I know polyurethane is a common material they reproduce bushings in. It is supposed to give less body and suspension roll when cornerning compared to rubber.

When I replaced the bushings and suspension parts on my 64 98 I used rubber bushings. Whatever material your new bushings are made of you are going to notice quite an improvement over the 30+ year old bushings which are in your car now. I would say tires have more of an effect on road noise, but your handling and steering response will improve if you replace the control arm bushings, ball joints, and steering parts.
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I've never heard of "delrin" before.
Delrin is a much harder plastic than polyurethane. Global West (for one) sells delrin bushings under the Del-A-Lum brand name. The reduced compliance improves handling significantly. The downside is increased road noise and vibration. You can't have everything.
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:09 AM

Delrin etc.

I already have fresh Moog rubbers in both upper and lower control arms, also new ball-joints upper and lower. I have tried with different alignment set-ups from stock to non-stock. Not really satisfied with the driveability. Considering to correct positive camber curve problem, and bumbsteer issue, and add some positive caster. These will not happen with original sheetmetal control arms. Performance control arms are often offered with delrin bushings, thats the reason I am interested to hear experiences, if someone has alredy done that and been there
I would definetly go with stock lower control arms with Moog rubber, but there is a one big downside using them. I don't like the idea of my front wheels moving backwards in my wheelwells when adjusting the desired amount of + caster. This looks stupid. There are tubular lowers on the market to correct this by moving lower bj towards to front of the car.

Last edited by slade69; September 16th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.