Original ride height

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
There are 2 latch points at the front of the seat. You need to push the seat bottom towards the rear of the car and then lift up. Both sides.

If you mean the upper part of the seat, IIRC it is held in place by 2 large screws. Undo those and the upright will lift straight up.
Yea...the upper part....are the screws easy to see?

Old August 20th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, there are 2 bales down at the bottom that the screws thread through. Rather large screws too. You can't miss them.
Old August 20th, 2018, 07:22 PM

Yes, there are 2 bales down at the bottom that the screws thread through. Rather large screws too. You can't miss them.
Got the back seat out today;...(no build sheet to be found, even behind the seat back)
But, I did find the reason why the rear driver window is having issues...the roller that rides in the slot pictured below was missing...I found it in a bag of small parts that came with the car, but after 4 hours of trying to replace it, I gave up...very, very frustrated...I put everything back together and unless there is an easy way to put that PIA part in, I'll pay someone to do it...had enough of messing with the window.

Old August 20th, 2018, 07:45 PM

Hey Allan, getting back to the topic at hand, if the left front coil was indexed wrong, would it cause the "tilt" I have to the left front?
Old August 20th, 2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 72455
Got the back seat out today;...(no build sheet to be found, even behind the seat back)
But, I did find the reason why the rear driver window is having issues...the roller that rides in the slot pictured below was missing...I found it in a bag of small parts that came with the car, but after 4 hours of trying to replace it, I gave up...very, very frustrated...I put everything back together and unless there is an easy way to put that PIA part in, I'll pay someone to do it...had enough of messing with the window.

This is the piece I was trying to replace....how in the H E double hockey sticks is it supposed to go in??? I tried prying the bars apart to get it to, but no matter what I did, it just seemed like it wouldn't pop onto the pin that's attached to the window....
Window roller

Last edited by 72455; August 20th, 2018 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Link not working
Old August 21st, 2018, 05:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If the front left coil was seated properly and the right side wasn't, yes you'd have a slight (very slight) lean. Not as much as what's showing on your car.

The regulator roller - The whole regulator needs to come out to install that roller IIRC. Do you have a 72 Fisher Body Manual? It covers the windows and components on page 7-10 along with removal and installation procedure
Old August 21st, 2018, 06:09 AM

If the front left coil was seated properly and the right side wasn't, yes you'd have a slight (very slight) lean. Not as much as what's showing on your car.

The regulator roller - The whole regulator needs to come out to install that roller IIRC. Do you have a 72 Fisher Body Manual? It covers the windows and components on page 7-10 along with removal and installation procedure
Thanks for the reply Allan...you have really helped me out since I bought my Cutlass and I really appreciate it. I hope I am able to pay it forward to other Oldsmobilers in the future.

So it looks like I'm gonna stick with the plan of replacing the front coils...a future endeavor. I did buy new upper and lower bump stops for the front control arms...are they covered in the CSM? And does it matter if I replace them now or when I replace my coils? The old ones are shot so I'd kinda like to do it now, but if I have to wait, I will.

I don't have a body manual but I do have a Haynes manual...will that show me what I need to know on the regulator roller?

Oh, and I see IIRC ia lot in your replies...what does that mean?

Thanks again,
Dave
Old August 21st, 2018, 06:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Haynes won't have the details that Fisher Body Manual will.

Bump stops can wait till you replace the front springs.

Sometimes instead of looking something up but I'm pretty sure I'm right - I go by memory. That's what" If I Remember Correctly" is abbreviated as IIRC
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:08 PM

Haynes won't have the details that Fisher Body Manual will.

Bump stops can wait till you replace the front springs.

Sometimes instead of looking something up but I'm pretty sure I'm right - I go by memory. That's what" If I Remember Correctly" is abbreviated as IIRC
Hey Allan I ordered the body manual...question though. Is the track I posted a picture of part of the regulator?
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

yes
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:33 PM

yes
Ok, so if you can recall,two questions. First, if I have to remove the regulator, how do I get the roller onto the peg that's attached to the window? And second, will I have to remove the window?