Bushings

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2019, 04:40 PM

Bushings

What do you guys think about bushings for a 1970 442 restoration? I see Harris is the OEM, MOOG is a trusted replacement over the years and then there are polyurethane. Some Harris out there for sale. Are polyurethane bushings that much better than rubber replacements? I have heard there may be a difference in ride with soft rubber and stiff poly but never experienced it. I want to do a mostly stock restoration but will upgrade in certain areas that are not too noticeable.
Old January 14th, 2019, 05:07 PM
MOTORHEAD

off the frame

I only used NOS new GM bushings and very few used GM originals
The kicks just get harder to find
Old January 15th, 2019, 06:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by scrappie
What do you guys think about bushings for a 1970 442 restoration? I see Harris is the OEM, MOOG is a trusted replacement over the years and then there are polyurethane. Some Harris out there for sale. Are polyurethane bushings that much better than rubber replacements? I have heard there may be a difference in ride with soft rubber and stiff poly but never experienced it. I want to do a mostly stock restoration but will upgrade in certain areas that are not too noticeable.
Anything that reduces unwanted deflections in the suspension will sharpen handling. Unfortunately, this is always a trade-off. The factory rubber bushings were selected to balance handling with comfort. Poly bushings improve handling at the expense of ride harshness. Your call as to what your priorities are. Keep in mind that poly bushings will squeak and require periodic greasing with silicone grease. Also, if you are considering poly for the rear suspension, you cannot use poly in all eight locations. The upper control arms must twist slightly under normal suspension deflections. The stock rubber is compliant enough to allow this. Poly bushings are not. At a minimum, use rubber in the front two rear upper control arm bushings. A better choice is to use the metal ball joint bushings in those two locations. I'll also point out that the factory used bushings with different rubber durometer (hardness) depending on the car and suspension package. Replacement rubber bushings today are one-size-fits-all and are likely tuned towards the soft ride side. I use Moog parts exclusively.
Old January 15th, 2019, 07:26 AM

I put poly bushings all around, there is no harsh ride at all, I would bet money people would not be able to tell any difference at all- until you corner and the car hugs and stays tight, there has not been one squeak from suspension that I have heard, I greased them at install 4 years ago. The car handles great, like night and day from the old worn rubber bushings. Seems silly to use one of each type, ask around, I bet there is not a single other install like that.
Old January 15th, 2019, 03:39 PM

OK thx gents!
Old January 16th, 2019, 08:33 AM

I would only use poly bushings on the shock eyes and the front sway bar.

New MOOG rubber bushings with a set of Bilstein shocks will give good a good ride and handling.

I have done the poly stuff, and unless you live where the roads are perfectly smooth, you won't like them.
Old January 16th, 2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by My442
New MOOG rubber bushings with a set of Bilstein shocks will give good a good ride and handling.
Don't forget a set of good springs.
Old January 19th, 2019, 05:14 PM

I used the polygraphite when i rebuilt my suspension over 10 years ago. They seemed like a good compromise between rubber and polyurethane. I have no complaints but i also have never had the polyurethane so I don’t have anything to compare them too.
Old August 12th, 2019, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
I only used NOS new GM bushings and very few used GM originals
The kicks just get harder to find
I can't recommend anyone doing this, when you process raw rubber and vulcanize it into a bushing or any rubber product for that matter, ozone deterioration starts immediately breaking down the bonds, albeit a slower process and depending on different factors, they all break down regardless. Giving the product a finite shelf life, installing a bushing that was made 10-20 years ago is tantamount to sadomasochism

I should know since this is my job
Old August 12th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Asger
... installing a bushing that was made 10-20 years ago is tantamount to sadomasochism

I should know since this is my job
What? S&M?

(Sorry, but that was tooooo easy. )
Old August 12th, 2019, 08:13 AM

I get paid for the S&M stuff, making rubber to metal parts is the side-gig i do for fun