To Bag or Not To Bag?? That Is My Question!

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM

To Bag or Not To Bag?? That Is My Question!

Ok C.O. enthusiasts, my 64 Cutlass project has been a blast! I’ve done A LOT of work to this car. Now that it is a safe daily driving machine, I’m looking to put a little spice in my car game. I would like to install an air ride suspension on all 4 corners. Watching a car while being pancaked to the ground is VERY cool looking to me. I’m sure that this will be a major evolution (time, knuckle busting work and $$$$). My question is:

Is it really worth it???
I never driven a car on bags. Will the ride be terrible??
What are some of the experiences that YOU had with the ride and installation??
What are some of the brands that you prefer.

I would like to have input from individuals who have experience on this topic beforeI jump into this project.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
car guy

I am a big fan of bags and when done right the car will ride and handle great...... but I don't like bags on muscle cars. Full size cars and trucks yes but not a-bodies.

If you still want to do it Ridetech is the only way to go.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:48 AM

Full size cars and trucks yes but not a-bodies.
I agree with Richard. IMHO, an air bag suspension would be perfect for a B/C body, but for an A body you're better off going with rebuilding the suspension stock with poly bushings and upgraded sway bars.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow. As I was reading your OP, I was thinking about how best to express my opinion, then I scrolled down one post, and OldCutlass had already expressed it perfectly.

You can't beat perfection, so +1 to his post. "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu."

- Eric
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:37 PM

Smile

Wow. Ok. Seems like its not too popular on A bodies. I don't understand why. BTW, I like oldcutlass response! LOL!

Last edited by plee3 64Olds; October 23rd, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Justin

There is a new member with a 65 442 clone that has a sir ride maybe he will chime in I can't remember his user name

If I come across it I will edit

My opinion is it does look cool but I wouldn't put them on a
A body either
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Registered Luser

Don't do it.....and to what Richard said, they look cool on wagons also! Even A-body wagons!
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:02 PM
Justin

Rcdynamic88

This is his screen name in the w29 board hopefully it's the same here
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:46 AM

Ok gentlemen, looking at the posts on here, it is starting to sway me in the opposite direction now. I'm still confused about why people prefer not to put air ride on an A body. Can some one help me understand??
Old October 24th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't like that crap on anything. I think it looks stupid.

When the bags are down, it looks like your springs are broken, when they're up, it looks like you put a car on a Blazer chassis, and when they're in the middle, it looks like you never did anything.

When people make the cars go up and down, it just looks undignified, like sitting on one of those rides outside the supermarket entrance that I used to beg my mom for dimes to ride back in the day.

- Eric
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:04 AM

Can some one help me understand?
Of course, it is a matter of taste. I believe the B/C bodies are better suited to an air bag suspension since they were originally built more for comfort and luxury. An A body is better suited to upgrading the suspension with sway bars, poly bushings and upgraded brakes. That's just my $.02.
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:49 AM
car guy

Bags let you have a car undriveably low at a show and looks sinster. You can bump up and cruise still very low. My opinion trucks and 50's-70's big cars look right like this. When I see a A-body or F-body done up like this it just doesn't do it for me. The exception mentioned above if a wagon. I'd roll a Vista on air any day. Cars like your Rivi are prefect for air. First car I ever did air on was a 65 Riviera.
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Of course, it is a matter of taste. I believe the B/C bodies are better suited to an air bag suspension since they were originally built more for comfort and luxury. An A body is better suited to upgrading the suspension with sway bars, poly bushings and upgraded brakes. That's just my $.02.
I'm starting to understand now. Bags are more suited for big luxury cars like yours (Olds64). There would be no problem with your wheels tucking into both fenders and quarter panels when the car is lowered. A bodies have a more muscular slightly raked stance. With the wheel and tire combo I have in mind, I would have major problems with the wheels tucking into the fenders and quarter panels.
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Drop it a little and it looks fine, but I agree with Eric, doesn't look "right" to me. I am convinced that if you add all of the aftermarket parts to do the up/down that it will screw up the suspension and maybe the frame over time.

"Bagging" is not my thing but I did see a '68 Cadillac Coupe de Ville that was bagged and though not my personal taste, it worked on that one. As a side note; the lines on this car were perfection! You look from the front fender and all the way to the tail not a millimeter of deviation. PERFECT fit and finish. This Caddy belongs to a guy who owns a body shop. Truly talented bunch...and consequently not cheap.