68 Cutlass upper balljoints from rock auto

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2018, 10:25 AM

68 Cutlass upper balljoints from rock auto

Hello everyone,

Looking for some help to make sure I'm not doing something wrong here. So I was going to change out my upper balljoints and ordered from rock auto, parts came in and went to put them in and they seem to be wrong I checked the assembly manual and it shows part# 7801332 but I couldn't find that part # online the part # rockauto sent shows gm part # 88876949. Rockauto says they fit but the bolt holes don't line up at all and it looks pretty clear they are not interchangeable. I have a second set of upper control arms that I double checked the balljoints with and they also look like the other old ones I pulled out. Going to return these if there incorrect but does anyone know the correct ones to order from rockauto or if there is a magic trick to make these work. I ordered the acdelco # 46D0009A.

Thanks
Old November 6th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm not sure what you got, but I've ordered Moog parts from RockAuto many times with no issues. Moog K5108 is the correct upper ball joint for all 1964-72 A-body cars.

It appears from your photo that the grease boot design has been changed on those AC parts. Pull off the boot, install that ball joint from the top of the A-arm, and reinstall the boot from the bottom. The spindle will compress the boot and hold it in place. It won't look like original but it will function correctly. Your old boot is now in the compressed state after all those years.
Old November 6th, 2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm not sure what you got, but I've ordered Moog parts from RockAuto many times with no issues. Moog K5108 is the correct upper ball joint for all 1964-72 A-body cars.

It appears from your photo that the grease boot design has been changed on those AC parts. Pull off the boot, install that ball joint from the top of the A-arm, and reinstall the boot from the bottom. The spindle will compress the boot and hold it in place. It won't look like original but it will function correctly. Your old boot is now in the compressed state after all those years.

Awesome thanks I'm just going to return these and get the Moog ones ordered.

Thank you