55 Olds 88 steering question

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2018, 07:01 PM

55 Olds 88 steering question

I have a friend that has a 55 super 88 and is interested in replacing the stock steering column and box with something newer like the Tri-Fives use . Has anyone done this, and who makes a p/s box or column that will work without major modifications ? Part of the reason he wants to to this so that he can have tilt, and recently a vibration has developed. He has had the front end checked by a very reputable and knowledge individual. Tires rebalanced, all the normal things. Nothing appears to be causing the shake. Any help is appreciated.
Old November 30th, 2018, 07:00 AM

Rocken, your friend could probably install an aftermarket steering column from Ididit or Flaming River to get a tilt / telescoping steering wheel. Or, he could search for a parts car. I imagine tilt steering was available in the 50s. I'm not sure about telescoping steering.

For the steering gear the best bet is to have it rebuilt professionally or do it yourself if you can find the parts.
Old November 30th, 2018, 03:01 PM

Thought about an Ididit or Flaming River, just would have to get the correct length. If the box is good, the shaft would have to be cut and add a rag joint. The box was rebuilt a few years back, but not that much mileage. Mainly it is the vibration that no one has been able to find. Not having dealt much with Oldsmobiles, I don't know if the box is similar to a Tri-Five Chevy or not . My guess is not. My hoist is tied up until spring, and he won't be driving it anytime soon. Maybe then I can look at it and hopefully find something that others have missed .
Thanks,
Old November 30th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Olds64
Or, he could search for a parts car. I imagine tilt steering was available in the 50s.
The first tilt wheel in an Olds was 1963 , And then only in full size cars .

Old November 30th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by rocken
Thought about an Ididit or Flaming River, just would have to get the correct length. If the box is good, the shaft would have to be cut and add a rag joint. The box was rebuilt a few years back, but not that much mileage. Mainly it is the vibration that no one has been able to find. Not having dealt much with Oldsmobiles, I don't know if the box is similar to a Tri-Five Chevy or not . My guess is not. My hoist is tied up until spring, and he won't be driving it anytime soon. Maybe then I can look at it and hopefully find something that others have missed .
Thanks,
The '55 Olds shares almost nothing with tri-five Chevys . Any modifications will have to be fabricated by hand .
Power steering was available in '55 . But , the steering system , from the steering wheel to the spindles will have to be brought from the parts car . Everything is different .

As for the vibration , have the wheels/ tires been checked for out of round ? Have you checked the king pins for excessive play ? Are the shock absorbers in good condition and properly mounted ? Have the wheel bearings been inspected , re-packed and adjusted properly ? Do you have a 1955 Oldsmobile Shop Manual ?
Old November 30th, 2018, 08:35 PM

The owner has had all the normal things checked by two reputable shops. As I said, next spring I will put it on my hoist and maybe I will find something that the others have missed.
Thanks for all the replies