The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

What do you like/dislike about where you live?

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Gun crime includes simply possessing one...
To clarify, I compared the general category "Violent Crime" as posted from both areas.

The UK has a category called "Possession of Weapons," which includes weapons of all kinds, and which has no corollary in the US statistics (since, even in US jurisdictions where firearms are heavily controlled, weapons possession, in a general sense, is not a crime).

Just making the point that one's exposure to the risk of violence is heavily dependent on one's local conditions, regardless of what country one is in.

You should come to Maine some time - we've got a large house in a very popular tourist area, and you would probably quite enjoy visiting.

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
jfb

I stated this before. 1.my olds was vandalized this year while I worked ,the marks of a true amateur were left behind this is what I disliked about the Chicago land area and tried the whole country in the past. Likes about the Chicago area 1 work you cannot have a life or stability without it and I work close to home around 5 miles.2 I have much lower property taxes then most areas,about 3200 hundred a year and a much lower mortgage. I loved texas,louisiana,and a good number of other states but work and sufficient wages were another matter but still excellent people around me at all times.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:02 AM
1988 Delta 88

I like not living in Portland but still living close enough to it to enjoy the nice things this area has to offer, especially the green scenery. The downside is their politics sometimes tends to spill over into our area, but that seems to be on the decline somewhat.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:29 AM

Love Vancouver, BC and NW Washington. Great temperatures and usually cools off in the evening after a hot day. I like San Diego too!
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:12 AM
Oldsdruid

Southern Virginia, along the NC border-

Likes: four distinct seasons and moderate weather, rolling hills, low cost of living, low taxes, most towns are large enough to give you some dining and shopping options, and within an hour's drive of cities big enough to have more dining and cultural stuff.

Dislikes: too religiously conservative and intolerant (to the point of being backwards, Taliban ain't got nothing on these Talibaptists), corrupt local governments, lots of drug crime, limited employment opportunity, people place little value on education.

But I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live. Way back in the 70s Halifax County boys corrupted the Standells' "Dirty Water" and sang "Oh, South Boston, you're my home".
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:28 AM

S.E. Louisiana

The bad: hot/humid summers; crime in the big cities; possibility of hurricanes; some corrupt politicians; higher cancer rate; higher land prices in urbanized areas; illegal immigrants; coastal subsidence/erosion; rising sea levels; no Oldsmobile dealerships.

The good: no ice or snow & few freezing temperatures; reasonable taxes; good food; fresh, reasonably priced domestic seafood; relatively low priced fuels, incl. non-ethanol; reasonable gun regulation; abundant health care facilities; lots of free antenna TV; conservative politics.

Last edited by Ozzie; August 6th, 2015 at 03:22 AM. Reason: added information
Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:41 PM

I grew up in Southern Ohio and after college lived in Iowa, Chicago, Gilbert AZ, and back to the suburbs of Chicago. I love being within an hour drive, or a train ride to the city and the lake. But I miss living in the middle of the woods like I did as a kid. Now I live in a subdivision on a 1/4 acre with a two car garage and horrible taxes.

I'm looking forward to the day of at least owing 5 acres with a separate garage for a shop.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:33 PM

balboa island newport beach CA

I live on Balboa Island, Newport Beach CA. I like everything about where I live except I have to rent a garage for my collectible cars and have to do my work in a carport. Otherwise no complaints. Some winters I have to run my heater for a couple hrs but no AC needed. Utilities really low but the houses are really expensive. Lee
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:43 AM
car nut farmer

Like about SE Kansas:
Living in the country, I farm so I have plenty of room, good neighbors, strong car culture, quiet, fishing, hunting, few regs. and moderate taxes.

Dislike about SE Kansas:
Two hour drive to any major metro area, very cold damp winters, very hot humid summers, spring and fall are too short, poorest area in the state and getting worst, poor medical.

Plan on retiring near KC or Manhattan area, drier climate and amenities.
Old August 5th, 2015, 08:23 AM

Born and raised in Victoria on Southern Vancouver Island, now live about an hour north of Victoria. Lived in Ottawa, Halifax and Seattle and have been around the world with the navy (130ish cities, 30ish countries) and don't think I'd really want to live anywhere but here. Except maybe southern Australia if it weren't for all the wildlife that wants to sting or eat you.

Some may say I'm sick, but I miss the Ottawa winters and the fall colours in the Gatineau hills. I really did enjoy the area but couldn't see myself settling there.

Being on the island can be a bit limiting sometimes as going anywhere significant involves wasting three hours and a couple hundred bucks getting onto the mainland and back.
Old August 5th, 2015, 04:04 PM

Lived in the greater Seattle WA area all of my life. Now with all the dot com companies moving in the traffic is horrible, prices on everything are sky high. I have bought a place in Rathdrum Idaho. 5 acres and a nice home. The construction on the 36' x 48' x 16' clear height ceiling shop starts the end of this week and I will retire and be moved in by late October. Won't miss the big city one bit.
Old August 5th, 2015, 04:08 PM
MOTORHEAD

the yard

i water the
garden

blessed by this creature
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
butterfly on the shrub 002.JPG (664.3 KB, 58 views)
Old August 5th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Senior Moment Member

There's this guy in my bathroom window who does everything I do. When I shave, he's shaving, etc. It's really unnerving.

Last edited by z11375ss; August 6th, 2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:19 PM
MOTORHEAD

come see me
LoL

best part of today
olds car and a story

feel thrice blessed
Attached Images
what really matters 002.JPG (788.2 KB, 40 views)
what really matters 001.JPG (786.4 KB, 39 views)
what really matters 003.JPG (715.6 KB, 39 views)
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I guess I only mentioned what I like about living in my town ( elgin il. ) . I hate the fact I live in a heavily hispanic town and the mexican food sucks !!! And I'm mexican lol . I also hate the fact people think its a crap hole. All my neighbors are white which is a big plus because I don't do well around other mexicans., I'm actually the token neighborhood hillbilly since I always have projects / sidejobs and car parts on the curb for the scrappers to pick up which happens within 2 hrs of me putting stuff out lol.
Old August 5th, 2015, 06:48 PM
MOTORHEAD

ditch the bias ply

copper

i rish
i ws
Old August 5th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
come see me
LoL

best part of today
olds car and a story

feel thrice blessed
Awesome Vista Cruiser! My favorite color...
Old August 5th, 2015, 07:17 PM
MOTORHEAD

vista vista vista vista vista

amen brother
Old August 5th, 2015, 07:20 PM

[/QUOTE]BTW, John - what do you think about the mid to upper 100s you are having there?
At least you have low humidity and it cools off below 80 at night![/QUOTE]

Hey Rob! We're back in the low 90's and today the skies are clear, although they're predicting more smokey days ahead. Yes, when we have high temps its usually low humidity like 15-25%. Nights were still warm during the heat wave, but now we're down in the low 60's high 50's which is good sleeping weather in my mind!

I'm sure you've looked at working out here so you could move before retiring. But if you could find something a few hours from your property on the coast you could go there on weekends to putter with your future plans. Medford & Roseburg would be easy. But even Eugene or Salem would still be within 4-5 hours of the SW Oregon Coast. John
Old August 5th, 2015, 07:25 PM
MOTORHEAD

pretty lights

Old August 5th, 2015, 07:51 PM

Its hot and very humid, I hate that. Im from the dry lands in the Texas panhandle, been here almost 8 years in central Texas, and still not use to the humidity. I live in the country which I like, but we have alot of bugs. I hate bugs!!! Spiders, fire ants, scorpions, every species of wasp like creatures there is. Snakes, I hate snakes!!! Copperheads, seen and killed quite a few of them. Rattlers, havnt seen one yet, but they say their here, Coral snakes, extremely deadly. I havnt seen one but my wife says she did. Did i mention HOT AND HUMID? It is. Last 2 weekends Ive been putting insulation in the roof of my shop/ oven. Got most of it done, and it helped alot so far. But man some days I just dont want to go in there. After 5 minutes outside im wet. I hate that. LOL Winters are not too bad. Location is not bad, I can be in Houston in about an hour, Austin about 2 hrs. San Antonio 3hrs, Dallas area 4 hrs. Gulf coast beach 3-5 hours depending which area I go. I think I wont stay here forever, my wife dosent want to move to Lubbock, where im from. She dosent like the lack of trees there and the colder winters. My brother and sister are in the San Luis Obispo, Ca. area, man its gorgeous there, but housing is SKY HIGH.
Old August 6th, 2015, 12:32 AM

London is one of those places where its great to visit to see the culture and vibrant atmosphere of one of the worlds great cities but you wouldn't want to live there.
In the past ten years the south of the UK has become a drop in zone for hundreds of thousands of eastern europeans, Iraqi's, Afghans, etc eager to enjoy our over generous benefits system, our schools are at bursting point and in some inner city schools, english is nearly everyones second language.
The traffic is getting worse day by day and nobody is ever in a rush to finish the never ending roadworks.
Generally people are very insular and rude and would normally step over you if you fell over in the street.
Petrol prices - Don't get me started on that Government rip off.
Sky high property prices, youngsters don't have a chance on getting on the property ladder, unless they have rich parents.

And now for the positive side.
No mozzies.
Temperate climate
Great TV
So many great restaurants from around the world.
The lack of a gun culture, I personally have never even touched a real gun.

London - Great to visit, sh** to live in.
Old August 6th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What's a mozzie?

- Eric
Old August 6th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I hate the fact I live in a heavily hispanic town and the mexican food sucks !!!

That's beyond bad. My buddy's Uncle Charlie would have said "That's worser than terrible!"

We have some good local-owned ethnic restaurants considering the area. A Thai place opened a few months back and rumour is we're getting an East Indian and a Greek restaurant that will be local-owned, no chains. We had some Greek-owned restaurants years ago that would often have Greek dishes on dinner menu, but all the old Greek restaurateurs have died off.

Add to likes about here- we have decent medical care in the city and within an hour's drive of some of the best medical facilities in the US. I find that more important as I get older...
Old August 6th, 2015, 07:32 AM

We do have really good thai food but I'm not too big into that. We do have some great bars with good bar food which I like since firdays nights we walk 2 blocks to the local bar which is a really nice place.
Old August 6th, 2015, 07:45 AM

We have some good local-owned ethnic restaurants considering the area.

That's the one thing I miss about living in Chicagoland... good restaurants! You know you're in trouble when you ask a local for a good seafood place and they suggest "Red Lobster". Damn, I miss Shaw's! (and the Omega, and Portillos, and Tortellini's, etc)
Old August 6th, 2015, 09:06 AM

Omega is awesome and portillos is just about as good as it gets for chicago style hot dogs and italian beefs.
Old August 6th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Oldsdruid

Italian beef I like (a lot!), but putting tomatoes and dill pickles on a hot dog just ain't right!

Then again I've never had one so I might like it- provided you leave the 'maters off it!
Old August 6th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Either Muslims or mosquitoes or some other form of pest, according to Wikipedia.

Personally, I consider never having been able to touch a gun to be a great handicap, sort of like castration.
Old August 6th, 2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Either Muslims or mosquitoes or some other form of pest, according to Wikipedia.

Personally, I consider never having been able to touch a gun to be a great handicap, sort of like castration.
You are kidding, right? What is so awesome about touching a gun? I own several guns, although I do not 'carry', just curious about your statement.
Old August 6th, 2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
What's a mozzie?

- Eric
Mozzie - mosquito
Sorry that's just my London slang.
Old August 6th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
Mozzie - mosquito.
Good. Because if you wanted to live in a place with no Moslems, Londonistan would not be that place.

- Eric
Old August 6th, 2015, 04:12 PM

Like: That I am 10 minutes from Summit Motorsports Park, close to the lake, not in the city, super cheap taxes, property is inexpensive, no city people or thugs.

Don't like: Not many restaurant options less than 30 minutes away. Ummm.......that's about it.
Old August 7th, 2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Good. Because if you wanted to live in a place with no Moslems, Londonistan would not be that place.

- Eric
I was just having this conversation with my son and I was reading that by the year 2051 the Uk will be a majority Muslim country.
Any room for me in the US?
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Administrator

I assure you we have issues here too.
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:29 PM

Any room for me in the US?

Sure, all that we ask is that you do it the correct way. Get your citizenship and pay taxes like the rest of us and you are more than welcome here. It's the illegals we have a problem with.
Old August 7th, 2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by chadman
Sure, all that we ask is that you do it the correct way. Get your citizenship and pay taxes like the rest of us and you are more than welcome here. It's the illegals we have a problem with.
Sounds good to me!!!
My boy is moving to downtown LA on the 17th of this month to do a masters at USC. If he eventually wants to stay we may well go down the route of citizenship. And yes I suppose I would have to grudgingly pay taxes.
This thread has got me thinking while I have been sitting in roadworks for the past 45 minutes what else is good about where I live and I managed to think of a couple more that perhaps most of you don't get.
Free health care for everyone, no matter how poor or wealthy you are.
Great sport, football ( with a round ball) and cricket ( sorry Australians)
Can't think of anything else!!
Old August 7th, 2015, 10:28 PM

Can't think of anything else!!
Hmmm, I can think of a few things: Theakston, Morland, Robinson, Mackeson, Sam Smith, Fuller's, Young's.
Old August 7th, 2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by 71rocket
Dislike about SE Kansas:
Two hour drive to any major metro area
That would be a plus for me.
Old August 8th, 2015, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Hmmm, I can think of a few things: Theakston, Morland, Robinson, Mackeson, Sam Smith, Fuller's, Young's.
Good point. I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: What do you like/dislike about where you live?