The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Worst boneyarding ever- dog injured

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2015, 09:31 PM

Worst boneyarding ever- dog injured

Went out to my collection today
took the red pit bull 'cause she likes to chase critters
The main part i needed said "do not sell" and the doors of the car didn't want to open but I scouted some other stuff and got a trinket or two.

Dog is whining like she got a racoon cornered... in a trunk
Some dolt took the steering column out of the car and took/lost the keys, so I had to remove the trunk lock. Two critters. Put the dog aside, popped trunk, then the coons got lead poisoning, then the dog jumped in and took one out and elsewhere to finish the eviction notice. No problem, been done before, some bites and such but the dog is fine.

Went and scouted other parts, look here and there, takes maybe 1/2 hour, then ready to head out. Dog goes the other way and I call and call for like 3 minutes to get her back... ok I guess. Over the ditch, get the pail of tools and parts, head up to the road. halfway up I stop to make sure the cell phone is with me, better find out now if not. Then I notice the dog's puffy lip.

Inspection reveals upper canine broken right off, hanging askew. She was so pretty too, I am just sick about it. She has been out here many times and climbs trees in town and has been hit by a car [the car was OK], but never hurt this bad. Then I have to get everything loaded and her wet muddy **** into the car for the ride home. Call home for advice, get no-answers.... have to text all family members to get an emergency advice call. She's not bleeding real bad, but I was just frazzled all the way home. I still have not gotten a real good look at it.

Now I am wondering if she got kicked by a deer or something when she ran off for a few minutes during the walk back to the tools. I did not see what happened, so can't be sure. I didn't hear a yelp or anything. She was pretty much OK after serving the eviction notice to the coons. Looks like she'll lose that tooth and part of the mandible.

Damn dangerous out there. I have never had a dog come home with more than small bites and scratches and cuts from sheetmetal maybe.

Kind of bummed out
thanks for giving me a shoulder to cry on.
:-(

I am not 100% convinced this was an accident and not a malicious attack. That's a strong tooth in a Steffordshire Terrier.

Last edited by Octania; March 15th, 2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old March 14th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Senior Moment Member

Poor guy. Keep us updated.
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:40 AM

I think she bit into something hard. If she'd been hit, you'd see more damage.

That can be fixed, go see a vet.
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:41 AM

I didn't know that was possible.
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:15 PM

Good possibility that she did it while thrashing around the raccoon. She might have hit something that was hard. The tooth is going to need to be extracted, and if it has any broke part in the jaw, that also needs to come out. Only way to tell will be with an x-ray. Then she will need to be on a strong antibiotic for 10 - 14 days. Vet will probably prescribe 500 mg. of Cephalexin b.i.d. .
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I think she bit into something hard. If she'd been hit, you'd see more damage.

That can be fixed, go see a vet.

It might be able to have it reset in place, if the entire tooth is sound, and root is still intact. It would require that the tooth be held in place with something like human braces, and I seriously doubt that the average veterinarian would attempt to save that tooth. The biggest problem is infection, and the difficulty in attempting to keep the wound clean until it heals. I have seen teeth in humans extracted when they become dislodged as much as the tooth in that dog. Usually, when the tooth is only out of alignment with the other teeth, and that an x-ray indicates minor fracturing of the bone that supports the tooth are braces applied in an attempt to save the tooth, however, it doesn't hurt to ask. It all depends on how much you want to spend, and how far you are willing to travel to find the expert that can do it.
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:45 PM

Well we are not super wealthy but she is going to the Dr. Monday I guess.

She has had coon encounters before and hit and bit lots of things but never anything like this. There's more to the story that makes us suspect that she got hit by a person, but I can't go into detail. I can't prove that either, she was out of my sight when it happened. I think.
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:09 PM

Your dog will be fine.
A friend had a lab that got that tooth knocked out too.
Lab didn't care, owner didn't like it.
Lab looked kind of red neck with that goofy smile.
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:49 PM

It was driving the dog nuts we went after it with the proper instruments and now have a loose tooth

So far so good. I was so upset when I first saw it.
Old March 15th, 2015, 04:03 PM

Hope your dog is alright.
Old March 15th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by matt68F-85
Your dog will be fine.
A friend had a lab that got that tooth knocked out too.
Lab didn't care, owner didn't like it.
Lab looked kind of red neck with that goofy smile.
which one?
:-)
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:41 AM

Ellsworth Reo seems fine today. Doctor visit after work or so I hear, unless the vet friend hooks us up. That's a lot of tooth to come out.
Old March 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Hope all turns out well Chris.