The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Any YES fans here??

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2016, 09:04 AM

Zeke, gotta comment on your nice post.

Yeah, 110% agreement on modern music.

My perception of Dream Theater (not a new group by any means) is that they were a progressive hard rock band. Rush could use the same title, but Rush is more Cream-influenced while DT has a lot more King Crimson in their DNA - I could be wrong.

My disagreement is mainly with the MC5. Yeah, many punk rock groups consider them a big influence, and certainly they are prototypical, but not due to the style of music - it was more due to the attitude. The MC5 were members of the White Panther party, which was led by John Sinclair, a MI-based rabble rouser, poet, and manager of the band whose leftist politics dictated their direction. Yeah, they formed around 1965-66 but they really didn't become national until 1968. By then, their craft was honed to the point that their live act was a mind-blower. "Kick Out the Jams" (the album, not the song) was unusual because how many bands have a live album as their debut? It captured the band in perfect form, from a live act par excellence to the revolutionary rhetoric ....but in my mind, the band was not quite mature, so the explosiveness of the LP is the only thing I find appealing.

Their second album, "Back in the USA", is by far more mature, but the producer did a poor job on presenting the band's sound - it sounds lightweight and almost "power pop." But you can see the talent surely was there as they matured. And if you see any videos of the band live, you can see many of the songs from this LP carried on the tradition started with "KOTJ".

By then, they started distancing themselves from Sinclair, who was in prison for a joint or two (there was a famous "Free John Sinclair" concert with many A-list artists). Their third and final album, "High Time", is my favorite, but few of the punk rockers will reference it. Recorded in the UK, I think it's solid all the way through and shows they really had the talent to conquer. Alas, they were a fractured group by then and drug problems fractured the band even more. Listen to this album and you'll think, "Punk rock what?"

Around 2002, a documentary toured several film festivals. Eventually, there was a lawsuit or two, so the doc is not available on DVD, streaming, etc. But pieces of it (if not the whole thing) can be seen on YouTube. The live segment that stands out the most from the doc is the 1970 concert in Saginaw. Here they have the maturity they needed while still putting the amps up to 11 (a la Spinal Tap); compare this rendition of "KOTJ" to that from the album 2 years before and maybe you'll agree. Or not.

Certainly a band that was marketed as the Next Big Thing and almost made it!

So, no, I don't think they spearheaded the so-called Hard Rock Revolution. If anyone was responsible, I think it was Cream, who also started the "Power Trio" trend. Without Cream, there wouldn't have been the Jimi Hendrix Experience, for example. The Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart also prob was a part of the evolution, which was copied by Jimmy Page to good effect. But ya gotta hear some other groups from the UK and even Germany to hear some of the rumblings of hard rock. And, in 1970, an American band (on a major record label) called Sir Lord Baltimore released one of the heaviest LPs I've heard from that period - hearing this album will make you forget about Black Sabbath's first album, although I believe the latter was the group that truly spearheaded what we know now as Heavy Metal.
Old October 7th, 2016, 05:40 AM

Old October 9th, 2016, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Eric "The simple crap today is not music" is what sparked me to write this.

"There is a band called Dream Theater, you will not find them any where near commercial radio but when Mike Portnoy was on drums they were defiantly the most talented band out there."
I saw Dream Theater open up for Yes at Red Rocks a few years back... Incredible show.
Old October 9th, 2016, 07:41 AM

IMO the trouble with some music today is that it is only acknowledged if it's from the New York or LA scene (AKA Grammies). There is so much good and imaginative new music out there it's amazing. I like listening to newly released music as long as it is good music. Not music that's just created to look sexy in a tasteless drug/gang produced video of *** and t*ts.
Old October 9th, 2016, 10:52 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
IMO the trouble with some music today is that it is only acknowledged if it's from the New York or LA scene (AKA Grammies). There is so much good and imaginative new music out there it's amazing.
This is a similar scenario that saw the birth of Punk in the UK in the '70s.
Unless an artist or group was signed to a big label they had little chance of getting much air time.
Punk was a grass roots backlash against big stars with access to very expensive recording studio technology, and also Prog Rock which was getting stale by then with ever longer instrumental solos of dubious quality by apparently self indulgent bands selling albums because they were the only show in town.
See any similarities with the USA Auto Industry in the same timeline btw?.

Roger.
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:41 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Punk started in the US. when the Ramones played the UK all the UK bands formed afterwards. Which there where many many great bands like the buzzcocks who where very talented not to mention the clash.
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:34 PM

Being that this thread is about YES I thought I'd report on the ARW concert from last night.
They were fantastic. Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman were in top form.

Diverse setlist covering all eras of YES music. I would not hesitate to see them if you are a YES fan.

Oh, BTW, Punk Rock is overrated. Played by talentless "musicians" & singers that can't sing with a few exceptions(Ramones, Clash). I'll take Pink Floyd, Genesis or ELP over the Sex Pistols any day.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:39 AM

Blackpage you are correct, this thread was started about Yes. I'll attempt to un hi-jack it by starting a new one Titled Musical Roots. My apologies to 1yesfan if I was the one who caused the hy-jack.

To answer the original question, I'd have to say I'm a Yes fan. Although I've never seen them live, and will make an effort to do so, they are the type of band that can blow you away on stage. Still one of the most talented band out there. The way everything fits together is phenomenal.

Coopercutlass I'll comment on The Ramones there.

PS The Ramones talented???
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:57 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The ramones where Not talented but some bands that formed because of their first gig in the UK where very talented. Not all punk bands are talent less. You gotta really be into punk rock to find the musically talented not all of it is my cup of tea . I can listen to the ramones , waylon jennings , neil young , Anything motown . Im not musically biased. I actually saw willie nelson this summer with kris kristoferson .

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 22nd, 2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Blackpage you are correct, this thread was started about Yes. I'll attempt to un hi-jack it by starting a new one Titled Musical Roots. My apologies to 1yesfan if I was the one who caused the hy-jack.

To answer the original question, I'd have to say I'm a Yes fan. Although I've never seen them live, and will make an effort to do so, they are the type of band that can blow you away on stage. Still one of the most talented band out there. The way everything fits together is phenomenal.

Coopercutlass I'll comment on The Ramones there.

PS The Ramones talented???
The Ramones music has a thread of pop running through it. There is a semblance of melody that makes their stuff "catchy". Same with the Clash.