The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Kidney Stones

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Kidney Stones

Have any of you gone through this before? I'm experiencing my first one now and it is horrible! Any tips for the pain?
Old April 12th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Morphine.
Old April 12th, 2014, 04:51 PM

had them 19 times since I was 21 years old. get to er and get pain shot. only thing that works
Old April 12th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 324rat
<snip> get to er and get pain shot. only thing that works
x2- it feels like your giving birth to an alien through your ...
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:06 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Pain killers and lots of them. With one of them the pain was so bad, I had dry heaves so bad I blew out the blood vessels in my eyes so I was bleeding from my eyes. Not good. Had 2 shots morphine then a Demerol drip. Still felt the pain but didn't care. That one required surgery. Hope for a easier time for you.

Larry
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

I've been popping the oxycodone every 4 hours. Seems to help. Of course, it is my wife's from after giving birth. The pharmacy that has my pain meds is conveniently closed.
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:28 PM
major noob

My dad has them it happened cause a change from California water to north Carolina water drink cranberry juice to help limit them once you pass this one it helps my dad out
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:28 PM

Careful with the Oxycodone (Hillbilly Heroin). They work but they are a b*tch when you have to stop using them.
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:11 PM

Yep, no fun at all, went to the E.R. for mine. Cut back on soft drinks, and drink more water.
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

I don't drink much soda (maybe 2-3 glasses a week max). Doc said we are in the stone belt. Guess that goes along with the Bible belt.

Hopefully I don't have any issues getting off the oxycodone. Going to switch over to my pain meds once I can get them from the pharmacy.

Thanks everyone! This down time is allowing me to catch up on threads I haven't read in a while.
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Justin

Here is one I just passed a few months ago NO Pain killers at all as I am a recivering addict 9 years this July !!
16A0AB51-AE47-4D7D-A8F1-246510AF82A3.jpg

Any ways drink lots of water it helps flush the stone out as well as lines your walls for less damage. Yes get a scan done some are to big to be passed and they need to brake them up so you can or put a tube in your piping to help them out had that done when I was 21

Any ways good luck

Ps try and catch the stone so you can have it tested to see what caused them

Last edited by oldstata; April 12th, 2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Holy cow! Much respect. I'll try to catch it when it passes. Right now the intense pain is in my right front side by my hip. I'm assuming as the stone moves, the pain moves with it. I'm dreading when it's about to be passed.
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by molasses4masses
Holy cow! Much respect. I'll try to catch it when it passes. Right now the intense pain is in my right front side by my hip. I'm assuming as the stone moves, the pain moves with it. I'm dreading when it's about to be passed.
From my experance passing it at the end is a breeze, I hate when the pain is in the kidney shooting you in the back or stabbing. When it's more in the hip/ front area on me it's usually about over. Even after you pass it it still takes a few days for your body to fully heal.
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Administrator

All kidding aside it's very painful and can be serious, you may want to get checked by your doctor as posted above.
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Hookers under Hood

I get them also, Oxycodone, Oxycocet , Percocet, all the same they only work for a few hrs at best. As others say once the pain comes around to the front its more intense but your almost thru it if its not to big. If you are throwing up and running to the bathroom every few min and just can't deal with it ( Keeling over pressing down hard) go straight to the hospital they will likely give you intervenes with morphine drip until its passed. I hope you pass it soon!!!
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Hookers under Hood

Cheers oldstata I know what your going thru, I was on Percocet from 2002- Feb 2013 A5-325 for my neck injury that happened in 2001. A block of steel picked held by a magnet moving on an overhead crane hit me . Going thru with getting off them was the worst I felt in my life. I couldn't believe how much better I felt once I got off them. I just deal with my bad days now my way. I put my wife thru a lot during the first 3-4 days its really indescribable as you know. If it wasn't for her I would have gone crazy.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:37 AM

just passed another one myself. Drink LOTS of water (About 1-1.5 gals a day) A neat trick that seems to work is 2 oz of lemon juice in 8 oz of water... helps to dissolve the most common types. I was skeptical, but it seemed to help. for me it was the last 1/2" of travel was the most painful! Best of luck! and avoid Iced tea!
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Engine Builder

Make your way to the ER. Nothing less than Morphine will help to any real extent. I stopped counting at 50 and it's probably well over 100 of the little buggers. Drink as much water as you can. Once the morphine relaxes you it most likely will pass. It'll quit hurting once it is in the bladder. You'll never know it came out the end other than the momentary interruption of the stream and the tink on the porcelain.

Pain killers are addictive but if you have real pain, AND quit taking them when the pain is gone, you have nothing to worry about. Though this does not apply to those who have been addicted in the past.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
All kidding aside it's very painful and can be serious, you may want to get checked by your doctor as posted above.
I did go see the doctor on Friday (after noticing blood in my urine). He has ordered an X-ray for me.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Thanks for all of the solid advice everyone. I had a pain free night, but that's probably because I took meds every 4 hours. Going to play it by ear today and see what happens.
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Hookers under Hood

In the event it comes back in which sometimes it fires up again, I take a medication called KETOPROFEN EC 100 mg 2X a day along with RATIO-TAMSULOSIN 0.4 MG once a day when I feel I'm getting another stone, this helps to open up the tube so it passes better. Its prescription up here in Canada not sure down your way. Go heasy on the oxy ohhh, first time use can make you very itchy and hard time breathing if you take to many at one time. Hope you have a better day ahead .

Last edited by 76olds; April 13th, 2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=oldstata;683210]Here is one I just passed a few months ago NO Pain killers at all as I am a recovering addict 9 years this July !!

Not to steer away from the thread, just have to congratulate oldstata on 9 years. I have been down that same path, I have been recovering for 13 years. Just had my 13th birthday. Once your down that path, not easy to get out. Helps with a good woman. One day at a time. Cheers bro and keep up the great work, your an idol to your young one's
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Justin

[QUOTE=Kyle's 77 Cutlass;683538]
Originally Posted by oldstata
Here is one I just passed a few months ago NO Pain killers at all as I am a recovering addict 9 years this July !!

Not to steer away from the thread, just have to congratulate oldstata on 9 years. I have been down that same path, I have been recovering for 13 years. Just had my 13th birthday. Once your down that path, not easy to get out. Helps with a good woman. One day at a time. Cheers bro and keep up the great work, your an idol to your young one's

Thanks Kyle ! It's like being reborn lol.

Oh yeah congrats on the 13 years as well

Last edited by oldstata; April 13th, 2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:10 PM

Yes I know that feeling. Nice to wake up, see your family and enjoy your family. It was wasted time before, now it's time well spent.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I just saw this thread. I personally have never dealt with them. My father on the other hand has an 15 in scar from emergency surgery from kidney stones. My father told us he felt some pain during the week prior to having to get taken to the er. nothing really bothersome until that night . Well they get him doctor say's you need surgery like now. What they pulled out was not one not two but all in all over 18 ! kidney stones 3 where as big as a bouncy rubber ball you get from vending machines just over half an inch ! There was no way he could pass those and the doctor could not belive prior to that week he felt no pain. I was very young when that happened but my dad tells the story because I eat some tuff that can lead to kidney stones. This was all before they went it and broke them up eswl style. The doctor gave him the stones in a little plastic display container all cleaned up kinda weird but I guess it was unique situation. He still has em somewhere in the house.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 13th, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Ugh. I don't even want to think about it again It was awful.
Morphine was my only ticket out of that hell. If I had access to heroin, I probably would have used that too. Anything.
Throwing up out of the car window at every stop light on the way to the E.R. was beautiful as well. I probably scarred a few kids for life.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

I had to drive myself home from work (yes I worked after being diagnosed) and about passed out behind the wheel. Probably not a wise decision.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Hookers under Hood

No Kidding nothing like driving down the Highway pushing stones and wanting to throw your Johnson bar out into traffic !!
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:48 PM

As others have mentioned get to the ER. I've been down this road too many times to count. Dilaudid is the drug that works for me as it is 10X stronger than morphene. But when you request your own pain meds, the staff thinks you are an addict seeking a fix. Anyway, you need to see how big the stone is to see if it will pass on it's own. And once it gets into your bladder, it will make it out the rest of the way without incident. If it is too large it will need to be blasted (ESWL) to break it up. Also make sure they analyze the stone to tell you what it is so you can try to control it. Cut back on your salt intake too.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:50 PM

I finally passed mine an hour ago... it took a month for tbe entire trip through the system! It was bigger than the one in the previous picture but smaller than my last one...

A small grand marnier to celebrate!
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:17 PM

Kidney stones run in my family, and I've had gallstone attacks which are apparently just as bad. I still remember in Grade 3 my dad hitting the floor almost in tears begging us to call 911 before school from kidney stones and me being terrified, this is my dad the framer who used to fall off buildings, or wipe out off dirtbikes and not even be phased by it. The first time I had a gallstone attack and went to the hospital not knowing what it was after being in the worst pain of my life for several hours. They hit me with a syringe full of morphine, and although it took the edge off and calmed me down it didn't actually get rid of the pain. I think it was the second of third time I went there to our notoriously bad and slow local hospital that I got shoved off into some corner where nobody could see or hear me with only an anti-inflammatory iv drip of some weak **** that literally only lasted for 5 minutes or so, right afterwards my nurse went on a 2 HOUR LONG LUNCH BREAK, and when I tried to flag other nurses down for help they kept telling me that "only my nurse could help me" BULLSHIT! So if I suddenly fell out of my chair and started dying you would wait for my nurse to show up? Now one rule about gallstones is you never give anything by mouth, your stomach is so unstable you will puke it up, and you actually welcome the puking because it moves your stomach and gives you maybe 20 seconds of relief which will actually make you force yourself to puke, right before I left they gave me a single tab of morphine in my mouth, I swallowed it and puked up a whole pill into the tray not even 5 minutes later. I walked over to the nurses and said "Excuse me, I puked up my pill can I please have another or can you not give it to me by mouth I have gallstones I cannot eat anything right now" And the nurse kept saying to me over and over "You have to wait for it to set in" and I kept holding the tray with an entire pill in her face saying "But I puked up the whole pill, Its NOT going to set in" it was like I was speaking a different language, I have never been treated so poorly by people who obviously did not care in my life. Luckily I managed to get rid of the attacks by removing a few things from my diet.

Sadly hospitals, especially in the states are so paranoid for getting nailed by the government regarding drugs, they'll shut down anyone who they thing is exhibited "drug seeking behavior" The stupid thing is EVERYONE who goes to the hospital is there because they want drugs, I am suffering in the worst agony of my life, and you have medicine which is designed for this exact situation. You have to ask for painkillers and hope for the best.

Dilaudid is much stronger than morphine, dilaudid is basically prescription heroin. One 8mg dilaudid pill is equal to about 0.1 grams of good quality heroin, it does wonders for pain but as you can imagine is very addictive. I have seen many lives destroyed by opiates, both people who started with the street drugs, and people who were prescribed them legitimately and than had it get out of control for some reason, myself included for a few stupid years of my life there, which is why I know so much about them.

A friend of mine a few years ago, we were both around 20 at the time I think, got shingles, and then got post trapagic neuralgia as a result, which meant a bunch of nerves in his back got destroyed, and then came back 1000 times more sensitive. Wearing a shirt was painful for him, someone who hadn't seen him in a while would hug him and he would be on the ground in pain like someone punched them as hard as they could or hit him with a weapon, and this is a guy who did MMA through his teenage years with a very good win/loss record, and was once attacked with a machete, so he is no stranger to pain.

He was up north with his girlfriend at the time, and would come down to town to visit for a few weeks here and there, eventually he moved back. His doctor up there had him on something like 240mg of oxy a day, plus gabapentin, and anti-inflammatories of some kind. This did not get rid of the pain, but simply made it tolerable enough for him to get up and function just barely.

When he came back to Vancouver he could not find a doctor who would continue his prescription, even talking to his old doctor. Even being told "you are too young to be in this much pain" ahaha are you kidding me? That guy should not be a doctor, pain does not work that way. Now after being on 240mg of oxy a day for years you cannot just stop cold turkey, he would go into agonzing withdrawals, which those alone make your whole body ache down to the bones and you very sensitive to pain, when you combined those with the intense pain he had from his condition he said it was enough to make him seriously consider suicide to end it. He was completely dependent on these pills.

He went from doctor to doctor down here with no one helping him, at once place the nurse said "Oh you're just addicted to these pills blah blah blah" and he said "OF COURSE I'm addicted, I've been prescribed 240mg of oxycontin a day for years, opiates are famous for how physically dependent they make a person, yes I need them legitimately for pain, but obviously I am addicted to them too. Him being turned away again and again for his legitimate need lead to him turning to street heroin just to get by every day, including needles towards the end, and after a long battle with that he is finally clean, but still not doing well, he finally managed to get himself off the methadone program which really isn't that much better than heroin, but the governments love because they would rather have you wired on their dope than a dealers. For example, someone on daily witnessed methadone ingestion pays somewhere from 30 cents to maybe a few dollars for their actual dose, and then they pay a 10 dollar "dispensing fee" which goes straight to the government, do the math.

I'm working on getting him to save up money to order some Ibogaine, which is a completely natural plant root that has the ability to reset the addiction centers of the brain for all drugs, but its especially useful for opiates because about 45 minutes after taking it it completely kills the withdrawals, and then over the span of 3 days resets the addiction centers of the brain to the point where its as if the drugs were never taken, re balances the brain and gives you the ability to be happy again. When you do something that makes you happy your brain releases endorphines, natural opiates, when you build up an opiate tolerance your endorphines stop working and you are miserable all the time, which usually leads to you going back to the drugs. Ibogaine also stays in the bodys fat cells and fools the addicted part of the brain into thinking it has opiates for 6 months to a year afterwards, compeltely killing cravings until the point where the brain has fully recovered. The acute heroin withdrawal lasts anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks or so, this is the one you see in the movies, but the post acute withdrawal lasts anywhere from a month to a year afterwards, this is the one that drives people back to using, and again this also works for alcoholism, cocaine, speed, etc, but works especially well for opiates.

The funny thing is, ibogaine is only illegal in two countries in the world, one of them being the US. No pharmacutical company will back it because you can't trademark a plant, the doses cost pennies to make, and it only takes 1-3 doses tops to get someone who actually wants to quit off heroin or other drugs for life.

Its a shame, because for killing pain, physical and emotional, opiates cannot be matched by anything else, but they are so addictive it is a slippery slope. Nevermind the tricks your brain can pull to make you want the drugs, a person who is totally straight and clean off heroin can have their brain make them feel like they are in pain again, or sick, to try and fool them into getting high, it is literally the devil incarnate.

Sorry for the long rant guys, but I like to get information about this subject out, ibogaine saved my life and maybe someone else here knows someone else struggling with painkiller addiction. Feel free to send me a PM if you are looking for more information.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:38 PM

ibogaine, I will have to remember that
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Senior Moment Member

Here's a tip; go to the ER. I thought I was passing a kidney stone 5 weeks ago tonight and it turned out to be a section of my intestine had died. I was rushed to surgery and am on the mend as we speak. I was waiting to urinate blood as that is a sign the stone is passing. Then I was going to the ER and get some pain killers as the stones usually follow up with me the next day by me passing another.
It turned out it was much bigger than a kidney stone. If you don't have to, don't self diagnose. If my intestine had ruptured I may have been a goner! Now I have a nice big zipper just above where my zipper is! Beats the alternative.
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
ibogaine, I will have to remember that
Its main side effect is that it is also a psychedelic, but its through this psychadelic action that allows it to adjust the brains firing patterns, and thus strengthen and weaken certain neurons, neurons work like muscles and the more you use them the stronger they get, and literally certain patterns of thinking become easier than other ones, which is why doing something like heroin for a few years just totally alters your whole personality and makes it so hard to quit, your brain literally sort of defaults to that thinking
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:59 AM

Red face Best wishes for less agony

There are several compositions of kidney stones. If you catch it you can get an analysis and learn its composition. Avoiding the components may help.
A friend of mine gets them from time to time. He lies in a tub of really hot water until the stone moves into the bladder. Assuming that it gets that far things usually get better. If it gets stuck it's not good. Size and barbs matter. If it gets stuck go to the E.R.
I had one stuck in a fold of the kidney about 5 years ago. "They" offered ultrasonics to try to break it up. The treatment may or may not work, but it also beats up the kidney some. I declined the offer and used the lemon juice treatment. It dissolved the stone enough to free it from being stuck in the fold, and allowed it to pass. I definitely felt it as it passed, but fortunately it did pass. Now I'm watching my dietary intake and using lemonade regularly. So far, no re-occurrence.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Engine Builder

Originally Posted by 76olds
In the event it comes back in which sometimes it fires up again, I take a medication called KETOPROFEN EC 100 mg 2X a day along with RATIO-TAMSULOSIN 0.4 MG once a day when I feel I'm getting another stone, this helps to open up the tube so it passes better. Its prescription up here in Canada not sure down your way. Go heasy on the oxy ohhh, first time use can make you very itchy and hard time breathing if you take to many at one time. Hope you have a better day ahead .
Ketoprofen was linked to several massive heart failures and taken off US shelves about 15yrs ago. I know I bruised very easily when taking it. I wish it was still available. Was great for controlling migraines.
Old April 14th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Smitty275
Ketoprofen was linked to several massive heart failures and taken off US shelves about 15yrs ago. I know I bruised very easily when taking it. I wish it was still available. Was great for controlling migraines.

You kidding me??? I still take them when I get a stone I still have about 25-30 tabs from my prescription Sept 2011. My wife takes MAXALT RPD 10mg for migraines, they dissolve on the tongue and are very effective for her. The are a little expensive thou.
Old April 15th, 2014, 04:10 AM
Engine Builder

I have Maxalt. Have found them to work better just swallowing it and drinking a Coke. Yes, they are expensive. The caffeine in the Coke, or any other caffeinated drink, is proven to improve the absorbtion and action of a drug.

Not kidding on the ketoprofen. But knowing how the US drug administration works I think they over reacted. Someone didn't like that there was a drug that actually worked and was available over the counter.
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Hookers under Hood

Smitty , I did a search and called my doctor 2day, the 12.5 mg Ketoprofen was taken of the shelves here as well due to people using them and abusing them as pain killers. They are only available thru prescription now, well here anyway. Good to hear the maxalt is working for your migraines I don't get them but I know how brutal they can be when my wife gets one, Throwing up the whole deal.
Cheers buddy !!
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:18 PM

I just passed the one that has been inside me for over a year,it was first noticed nov 2012 and was in the same spot nov 2013 and finally started moving a couple weeks ago and as of today is gone. I have been on medicine to keep them from forming and this one has probably been in me before I got on the medicine,I have to watch it since I only have one kidney. I do not have the pain I hear people talking about,a little blood in the urine and when it gets to the bladder it feels like a bladder infection and some discomfort coming out. I have passed about 5 of them and had three blasted and I hope this one is the last.

Quick Reply: Kidney Stones