The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Company policies

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:13 PM

Company policies

All I can say is, it's a good thing we are not trying to win WWII here...

company currently owned by a European bunch of investors. They buy companies, change stuff, spend money on Clever Plans from consultants, then sell in 5 yrs or so.

One of their latest policies is that EVERYTHING possible should be bought from their favored company, let's call it NTD.... stuff you may want to buy from Grainger, McMaster, etc. - general needs. I have never had much luck finding exactly what I need at NTD. If they do have it, it's overpriced at say 50-100% higher than other places. But, if we buy ENOUGH stuff, they will give us a discount [kickback?].

The other day I thought I would look up to see if it's possible to get a new brushless Dewalt impact. My supervisor said "they cost too much" and so that will not happen. He refuses to shop at less expensive places like Amazon.com or epay, probably due to corporate hassle if doing so.

At the local Lowe's I find the BL impact for $300
Across the aisle is the same impact, PLUS THE DRILL for $300.

Here's the pair for $245 delivered?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261317755957...84.m1423.l2649

And "NTD" has....
NOTHING. No impact at all.
Grainger has... mostly antique 18V nicad or at best 18V lion tools....

I request a quote from Grainger for the dewalt 20V BL impact- it comes back $350 for JUST the impact. And, to get that offering was like pulling teeth.

Not the way I would run a company.
While buying Shipwreck Tools Chinese offerings is probably not the best course for all tools, there is certainly a vast array of sellers we can choose from nowadays, with very significant $ savings, or, for the same $ you can have much better tools.

Oh, PS, my home impact is the BL Dewalt.... it's a superb tool... and it's made in China. I was amazed to see something MIC that was so well done.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Octania, when I was in manufacturing I had to justify my purchases from outside vendors when they decided to implement similar policies. These things go in cycles, unfortunately it has to get worse before they realize it doesn't work and then it will get better. If you make a lot of noise and **** and moan, you will be labeled as not a team player, will be replaced. My advice is to just run with it for a while.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The same tools are listed for 405.00 retail up here. BUT, they're on sale right now with free shipping for only 248.00. Unfortunately, I don't need either of them. I looked at the epay link and not only would it cost a fortune to ship, they won't ship to Canada. So I looked up the sku and found:

http://www.blackrocktools.com/dewalt...-dck280c2.html