The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Nixon owned an Olds!

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:00 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Nixon owned an Olds!

10. President Nixon mentioned his personal car in his famous "Checkers" speech– a 1950 Oldsmobile.
TRUE. Yep! One of Nixon's few redeeming qualities was automobile ownership. Here's the quote, from the famous speech:
I have just $4,000 in life insurance, plus my G.I. policy which I've never been able to convert and which will run out in two years. I have no insurance whatever on Pat. I have no life insurance on our our youngsters, Patricia and Julie. I own a 1950 Oldsmobile car.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by shimmer
10. President Nixon mentioned his personal car in his famous "Checkers" speech– a 1950 Oldsmobile.
TRUE. Yep! One of Nixon's few redeeming qualities was automobile ownership. Here's the quote, from the famous speech:
I have just $4,000 in life insurance, plus my G.I. policy which I've never been able to convert and which will run out in two years. I have no insurance whatever on Pat. I have no life insurance on our our youngsters, Patricia and Julie. I own a 1950 Oldsmobile car.
.....and...."I did NOT have sex with that woman!" Oh wait, that was some other 'tricky Dick'

At the time of his Checkers speech (which I looked up and read with great interest) his Olds was only 2 years old. That quote was right near the end where he discusses the cost of living expenses - house, mortgage etc. He discloses and rationalizes EVERYTHING. The investigation of his alleged 18K embezzelment??? was not proven and he was cleared of charges. What a guy!
Here's the whole speech: http://watergate.info/nixon/checkers-speech.shtml

It obviously went over well with the American people. They trusted Richard M enough to put him into the office of US Vice President from 1953 - 1960.

He ran for Prez in 60, but lost to JFK in that race. But he went on to the oval office in 68 when LBJ decided to step down after New Hampshire primary elections showed a strong support for Republican Richard M. The rest they say, is history. True story - "I cannot tell a lie..."
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:07 PM

You have Richard Nixon to thank for opening up China to trade with the US. While he was out of office, he did a stint in a New York law firm representing Pepsi Cola. He went to China in the early 1970's and got them to open up to the US. He repaid the Pepsi people for supporting him while he was out of political office by being the first US business to go to China. If you want to learn more about Richard Nixon and his historic China policy, click here..

PS.. If it were not for his mistakes in Watergate, he would be known today as a great and historic president. He wasn't stupid, just made a bad decision.

PPS... This isn't politics, just a short history lesson from an old man that remembers these times well.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Junkman
If it were not for his mistakes in Watergate, he would be known today as a great and historic president. He wasn't stupid, just made a bad decision.... This isn't politics, just a short history lesson from an old man that remembers these times well.
Agreed. Now we return to normal thread talk, with your host "shimmer". Take it away AL....
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:25 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Allan R
Agreed. Now we return to normal thread talk, with your host "shimmer". Take it away AL....
Thank you....uh, thank you very much......Tomorrow we will discuss.......
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:01 AM
Oldsdruid

So did Ted Kennedy (67 Delmont 88) and Malcolm X (1965 98).

My take on Watergate is Nixon didn't do anything the Democrats weren't doing, he just didn't cover his tracks as well as they did.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:19 AM

Ted Kennedy wish he hadn't had an Olds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tedvwsmall.jpg (41.5 KB, 27 views)
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:21 AM

He also owned a 1962 Oldsmobile.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM

Hey Teds oldsmobile did just fine. Mary Jo didn't drown!! There was a small air bubble after the car hit the water.....she sufficated to death. Wow those old oldsmobile were almost water tight!!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
Where were you in '72?

Originally Posted by rocketraider

My take on Watergate is Nixon didn't do anything the Democrats weren't doing, he just didn't cover his tracks as well as they did.
...if it were' nt for Forest Gump!
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:54 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Nixon was one of McCarthys close circle. ranks right down there with Barry Goldwater and Dubya IMO.

Roger.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM

I think the 67 Delmont was registered in his moms name. I think prompted the family promptly crushed the Olds and burned down the courthouse. I wonder if it was a 330 or 425 car. Only two years old at the time.

Originally Posted by rocketraider

Last edited by vistacruiser67; June 5th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Al Graff
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Here is the trivia question and I have no idea what the answer is. Was Nixon's 50 Olds an 76, 88 or a 98?
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Here is the trivia question and I have no idea what the answer is. Was Nixon's 50 Olds an 76, 88 or a 98?
It was a 98
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Okay Allan, how did you know that? I don't think the car in the picture was his was it.
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I looked it up on the web. But you're right that wasn't his car. Supposedly it's one like this:
43033100.jpg

Here's the link http://webfoorfun.blogspot.ca/2008/1...-and-then.html Scroll down to Tricky's photo and write up.
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Justin

There is one just like it for sale in salt lake on ksl for only 700.00 bucks

Great history lesson
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:58 AM

did y'all also know the Beverly Hillbilly's also drove an oldsmobile
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nope, ah shore dint. Ah thunk that show wuz sponserred by Chrysler. Mr. Drysdale and Miss Hathaway ALWAYS drove either Chrysler or Plymouths. So did the guest stars IIRC.

Are you saying that truck was a REO?

Well blow me down and shivver me timbers:
The Ralph Foster Museum's best known exhibit is the cut-down 1921 Oldsmobile truck used in the original Beverly Hillbillies TV series, donated by the show's producer, Paul Henning, who grew up nearby.