The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Reasonably priced chrome re-platers

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
delete

Reasonably priced chrome re-platers

I am thinking about getting my rear bumper re-done this winter. I don't mind shipping it. Can anyone recomend a good (not great) replater that can do the job for a reasonable price. Also like somebody that if they say four weeks it doesn't take any more than six or seven.

Many Thanks
Old October 21st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

I've had good luck with Tri City although I've never shipped to them or had a timeline - always drop off at fall carlisle, pick up at spring. Prices are reasonable, and most of mine have been pretty big bumpers (55 stuff).
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM
Oldsdruid

Second on Tri-City, Elizabethton TN. http://www.tricityplating.com/

Been several years since I had one done; think it was $400 at that time with a lifetime warranty. That was a big bumper too, 74 Cutlass rear. I'd have had them do the front too but it was two pieces @$400 each, and I found NOS top and bottom for $350 the pair. I sure hate to drill license bracket holes in that NOS bumper too. Been holding off for a while.
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM

I ended up using Keystone/LKQ (yes, that Keystone/LKQ...they bought the old NorthStar) for 3 of my '68 bumpers ...2 rear-1 front. I just dropped them off at a local LKQ office and they rode the truck to/from their replating plant (in MN ?). Turnaround time was quoted @ ~ 8 weeks and they were back in 6-7 for the first go-around....& price was verrry reasonable.

More details start here...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post171812
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM

I used Sandy's Bumper Mart in Syracuse NY for my front 70 Cutlass bumper. Great work - smooth and really no blemishes, grind marks or anything showing through like some cheap re-chromes. They say they do not call it show chrome because people are so **** and picky, but I would say it is pretty close or definitely much better than street re-chrome and much better than what you see on repro bumpers. I think they also do potmetal chrome, etc.

I think I paid $380 for the bumper and I dropped it off and picked it up.

They also do perfect show chrome for more money, but like I said their regular chrome is darn nice for <$400
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM

I just had both the front and rear bumpers for a 1969 Cadillac re plated at Sioux Plating, and am very satisfied with both the quality and the service. The cost was $1200, and every other company wanted almost double that to do them. They guarantee the work for as long as you own the car, which is what most "lifetime" plating companies do. The back side of the bumpers isn't like a NOS bumper, but I haven't seen many plating shops that finish the backside like they originally were done. I asked about this, and was told that it is because of the new process that is being used today. The plating industry has gone through a lot of changes as a result of the EPA rules.

For small items, both steel and pot metal, I use a local shop, New England Chrome Plating. The work is good, and the price is reasonable. They don't do big bumpers, and send the bigger bumpers to Sandy's in upstate New York. Smaller pieces are done in house. Going from memory, I think that the last time that I sent them door handles, it was $75 for the handle and the button. I give them the part when I go to the swap meet in Amherst NH, and the next month, they bring it back. They also ship by UPS.

New England Chrome Plating Inc

63 Thomas St, East Hartford, CT 06108 (860) 528-7176

Sioux Plating Co Inc

428 E 9th St, South Sioux City, NE 68776 (402) 494-2477

Last edited by Junkman; October 23rd, 2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add address
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:15 PM

Long Island new york has GOTTA have a buttload of options near it.
I'm sure they are all pretty damn pricey too tho......

I'd stick to places near you to save on shipping costs.
Use the yellow pages or GoogleMaps.
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM
delete

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Long Island new york has GOTTA have a buttload of options near it.
Due to environmentals regulations we don't. The few guys that are left are prohibited from doing parts that big. Its a PITA. Pretty soon all our rechroming will have to be done in Mexico.
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by oldsconv
I used Sandy's Bumper Mart in Syracuse NY
I used them too. Very good job. I had my front done and I had two 442 rear cut-out bumpers and they blasted and acid dipped both & took the better of the two. No extra charge. I paid right around $350 each
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Due to environmentals regulations we don't. The few guys that are left are prohibited from doing parts that big. Its a PITA. Pretty soon all our rechroming will have to be done in Mexico.
I'm in the Chicago suburbs and there's ton's of places that do it.

Sounds to me like your area is too densely populated and there's probably been too many health violations

There's gotta be places just outside of the major metropolitan areas.
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:58 AM
GM Enthusiast

Sounds to me like your area is too densely populated and there's probably been too many health violations
Absolutely right Aces. Builders will shoe horn a house on any piece of land left around here which is why our traffic problems are so bad. Unfortunately, there is no one left around here doing chrome plating work, which is pretty frustrating.

I will try Sandy's in upstate for my 71 rear bumper so thanks for the tip!
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM

I sent a 1965 Cutlass front bumper to Ogden Chrome. They're done with it and it should be showing up here anytime now. Total price for shipping both ways, plating, environmental fee, $425 This bumper will be going to Ralph in Germany but I'll take some pictures to post before shipping it.

I had never heard of Ogden Chrome until hinz57 posted about his experiences using them:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ir-polish.html

John
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:16 AM

X2 on Ogden Chrome

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-plating.html
Old October 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Hey Ron I also used New England Chrome. About $400 looks pretty good. Shipped in, then drove to pick them up, about 3-4 hour round trip
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM

plating

i have been useing a plater in St Paul MN who is very reasonable and want to get the bumpers replated on the 41 and hope to do them for a lot less than most of you guys are paying

I had some major bracket done on a rivera and it was much cheeper than anyone else was paying

hardly any of the workers speak english and the building is not new, but for my $$ that about all I can afford!!