The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Well, it's pretty famous, They even made a rug ta tell the story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry
That's quite the (embroidered) rug!
Old March 18th, 2019, 07:25 PM
Oh no, not again...

There's a pretty good account of the Battle of Hastings in a neat little book called "A Comic history of England", which was written by a certain Gilbert A'Beckett in 1848. I have an original copy. I'd scan the accompanying image of the William prior to the Battle but it would blow the site's memory limits.
The books were printed by the same people who put out "Punch" magazine and was profusely illustrated by John Leech, who was the most famous cartoonist of the day. If only Social Studies classes could have used this as a text book, more people would study history. The downside though, is you have to be very well versed in the nuances of the English language; a lot of the humour is very sarcastic and dry and uses a lot of word-play.

Allan, you should be so lucky as to be able to chip slush away. The driveway in front of my house resembles a glacier; the piles have melted down and flowed over ice, - just adding to it. The portion at the curb is a good 4 inches thick. I think it'll finally melt by June.

Otherwise, a quiet day. Now I have a hankering for Beef jerky, I wonder why. dang it...
Old March 18th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a couple hours ago. Good trip out, fun time all weekend, shitty trip home. Plane left Melbourne 4 1/2 hours late, so I didn't get home in time to get Tiger.

Had over 850 cars at the show. That's incredible. My favorite car this year was actually an American car. A Chrysler 300 Hurst. Literally everyone who walked past it commented on how big the trunk was. Or the boot.

Think I'll do my catching up tomorrow. I'm beat. Hope everyone had a good week.
Old March 18th, 2019, 09:02 PM

I read up a little last night on the battle of Hastings. Methinks that the medieval days were a game of musical chairs, using the thrones of Kings instead. It is interesting to say the least.
Old March 19th, 2019, 06:24 AM

mawn'in

Chili but still clear.

If ya ever wanta watch a cool movie about the nuttiness of Kings/queens/ real-estate I would recommend "The Lion in winter"

Great cast and some really subtle hilarious humor

Have a great day Olds friends
Old March 19th, 2019, 08:35 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slept good and got up and did some running around. Gonna have lunch then go get Tiger. I don't see us doing a lot this afternoon, though it is nice out. A bit chilly.

Everything looks undisturbed and the shop as well. That's good, I didn't have a chance to go get the other car to leave here.

And that's all I know. Have a good day everyone.
Old March 19th, 2019, 08:55 AM

I have seen that movie Jamesbo, just been a really long time. It should show up on the networks that show the oldies once in awhile.
Old March 19th, 2019, 10:22 PM

What the hay? No posts in 13 1/2 hours! Well, I don't have much to say either, so I suppose that I can't complain.
Old March 20th, 2019, 07:33 AM

mawn'in

I have been patiently wasting for my turn

Mike, Did you see my old college bud Jack when you were down under. Ya coulda recognized him by his Brit wife and Cobra T-shirt

Sooooooooooooooooooo , I have this friend whose a real foodie [Yes, it's possible to be worse than me] Anywho, she's raving about "Bacon Jam" So naturally I have to check it out. Anyone every tried it?
Mine's on the way in the mail

Old March 20th, 2019, 07:52 AM

Yay! My turn!

Ill take another turn when im done with sauna, see ya after it!
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Uneventful first day back. I didn't sleep too well last night so I was tired all day. Glad I'm home. Might do some stuff in the yard this afternoon.

Jamesbo you know that was the first thing I did when I got home was look for a car like that. A place in Tampa has 5 of them. A little rich for me, though.

Beautiful out. Sunny and around 60. My neighbor is starting to clean out the garage. I should go over and make sure she doesn't get rid of anything that's worth anything. She doesn't have any interest in car stuff, so it's all junk to her.

Gotta call Verizon to see why my jetpack used 2gb while it was turned off for a week. If I didn't hate Spectrum so much I'd think I made a mistake changing companies.

Okay gotta go. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old March 21st, 2019, 07:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all,
Went to the boneyard on Tuesday. Can't believe the carnage that a car that was set the day before suffered before I got there. It was like the car buzzards got there overnight.

Going to the Home and Garden show this afternoon to get some idea what new triple pane windows and insulation upgrades will cost. Somehow I don't think this is going to be cheap.

Canada is not doing that well at the WWCC this year. Likely because we have a goat called Chelsea Carey at the helm.
Old March 21st, 2019, 09:24 AM

Evening.

Was a longer sauna than expected… Postman has visited me twice this week. Today i received my cam and everything to heads.
Now im just short of some head-gaskets mostly. And yeah, my block and heads…. Inspected my gaskets and noticed that i have two identical sets of exhaust gaskets, and no intake gaskets. Doh.. Tomorrow ill think ill head to garage to do some fuel-line plumbing. Bought some vapor-guard hose-ends, which fits normal hose with clamps to hard-lines with AN-connectors. Ill throw those pesky AN-hose connectors away, hate em. Not much else?

Allan R - That "like a goat" is my absolute favourite, always make me chuggle when i see it written….

slantflat - Do you guys pay for data used on internet connection?

Jamesbo - I believe its your turn next?

Okay. Have a day all. Spring is wonderful thing.
Old March 21st, 2019, 01:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another night of not sleeping well and another day of being tired at work. I thought maybe I had developed narcolepsy today.

Nice out but a little cool and windy. There was supposed to be rain in the area today but none of it was here. That's a good thing.

My internet is powered by a jetpack hot spot and the package I pay for is for 15gb of high speed a month. After the 15 is gone it gets terribly slow until it renews. I really couldn't tell you what I pay a month for this, but it was cheeper than my cable internet.

So I want to go look at a car in Dallas. I haven't talked to the guy yet but I have a feeling he's a jerk. Also the car has been for sale for over a month. It runs and drives now but he's going to keep the engine so I'd have to make better plans to retrieve it. Not sure it's all worth it but it will jumpstart another project I have and propel it light years ahead of where I'll ever get it.

I want to take a nap, but I know if I do I won't sleep good again tonight. Guess I gotta find something to do to keep me going until bed time. Eh, we'll see.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old March 21st, 2019, 01:32 PM

Finally Spring

Spring has arrived in Iowa !! Living in Iowa is a love/hate kind of thing. Within the last two weeks we went from a blizzard and winds, to heavy rains the next week and flooding, to now melting temps this last week. While my area hasn't experienced the flooding seen on the news, our flooding is mainly low areas in my town/village and when the antiquated/neglected/town tile was overwhelmed and intakes covered from the blizzard, and compacted down to covered in a solid mass of ice due to the rains over the deep snow..
Monday I hand washed the old girl, rensed off, dried off with a shammy with the bullet heater going. Ready for a drive tonight after work, burn off the gas that is in the tank, fill up with 91 and some Klotz and retune the engine's timing back to 35/36 and lay some rubber down.

My man cave isn't heated so will be nice to get things cleaned out and my escape back open.. :-)
Old March 21st, 2019, 03:39 PM

Yea! Finally got into my barn today! I could push in the top of the door a inch or so. (it wouldn't move at the bottom due to the ice). My wife pushed a golf putter in the top of the door as I pushed it. Then I could push in a flexible funnel in the opening and then put ice melter salt thru the funnel into the barn on the floor. It actually worked! There really wasn't much ice in there but enough. Boy I sure won't let that happen next winter!
Take care guys.
Old March 21st, 2019, 05:42 PM

Morning everyone, sorry I've been off for a while, been busy with cleaning up grandad's place on my days off.
I see you were in my neck of the woods Mike, how'd you like the heat? We currently have 2 cyclones up the top end of the country and they are big ones. The military was evacuating people on one of their big planes I saw on the news last night. Doesn't look good for them up there.
Been trying to get back into my study now I don't have to go down to Grandads every week but its hard finding motivation at the moment since Tink's mother is still causing issues for us.
Take care everybody,
Adrian
Old March 21st, 2019, 07:31 PM
Oh no, not again...

G'day everyone,

Been a bit slow around here, not much going on. Going to be heading out to BC in another week to help out my parents, they're both getting on and my mother wants to move, so we have to get a veritable mansion packed up. So it's going to be a "working" trip. I'm going to be gone for about 14 days, and most of it will be incommunicado.

Mike, I heard a rumour that you have a Borgward; - I'm looking for an Isabella coupe or even a half decent and not rotten TS sedan. If you've got one, would you think about parting with it? Your jet-lag is going to haunt you for a while yet; takes about 21 days to "get back to normal" regardless of how long you were gone. If you aren't used to sleep disruptions, the body has a tendency to react very badly to it. I used to be a 12 hour shift worker, and I spent 30 years in jet lag. It took 2 months on straight days and all of a sudden, it was like a whole new world opened up for me. I hadn't been on straight days since 1987, so it was a shock. The last time I went to Europe though, I paid dearly; my body said "you are not doing this to me again" and I suffered hard with jet lag for the first time in my life. Take things in stride, cat-nap when necessary.

Allan, I'm assuming you're referring to curling. The only female curler I know is Kelsey Rocque, she used to work for the same company I do as a summer student, and her father works here as a supervisor. She's a good skip and a great person; she's got a stellar personality. She's looking to get into the pro racket and trying to get a place on the Olympic team again. By the way, it's cheaper to sell the house and move to something new than it is to replace windows and insulate, and the government incentives aren't worth a tinker's cuss either. It's all just crap that reads well in the loonie left wing media, but actually has nothing backing it up. The problem now is this election that has just been called has me in a conundrum; it's the first one I can legally vote in and I haven't got a clue who to vote for. Not because I don't follow what's going on buyt because I'm following what's going on and hate everyone. They're all a bunch of liars and crooks and it'll be all I can do to refrain from lowering my zipper in the voting booth and spoiling the ballot on April 16th.

Jouni, must be nice to have a sauna; - could have used it 2-3 weeks ago when it was -40. Almost seems like a distant bad memory now, - but it could happen again this month, winter isn't over here by a long shot. We'll get at least 2-3 more heavy snowfalls and probably one more good bout of bloody cold weather before winter goes into fall. (We usually end up with about a week of real "summer" weather, the rest of the time it's cool and brown.) Good luck with the engine parts!

Adrian, sorry to hear of your family issues; - must be real royal pain. (This from a guy who's starting to get into his own family issues), amazing how skeletons and buried carcasses get hauled up in times like this, it's tough on everyone else. Hang in there and remember to look out for #1 once in a while.

Greg, you're lucky, spring seems to have arrived there; - we've still got at least another month before I can think about taking the cars out or even letting them see the light of day.

Well, that's about it for me...tomorrow's Friday, thankfully. Have a good night all!
Old March 22nd, 2019, 11:08 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well, another work week in the history books. Even though it was a short week it seemed to take a long time. Must be the jetlag sleep I'm missing. Actually, I don't really suffer from jetlag. I think this is sickness. I picked something up from the plane and it's clung to me all week. Nose, cough(which is hateful), fatigue, and I was just sick around Christmas only. I usually only get sick every couple of years.

Marc I saw that, too. No, I don't own a Borgward. I don't remember who said that, but I've never claimed to own one. Sorry. The Isabella is a beautiful car. I have some odd stuff, though. One thing I do have is a DAF. Not as pretty as an Isabella.

Sleep disruptions. Heh. I worked midnights for 20 some years, slept during the day with a dog or more who wanted to get up every 2 hours. People/sales calling because it's the middle of the day for them, sunlight creeping in around the edges of the blinds. I just call that normal.

Adrian it was wonderful weather the whole time I was there. My phone said it was low 80s every day, no clue what that is in celcius. No rain. I'd have to say it was the perfect weather for a car show.

Since I don't have to go to bed early tonight I think I'll take a brief nap. Funny, there are signs along the interstate in Australia that say, take a 15 minute power nap. The only problem with that is my 15 minute naps turn into 2-3 hours. Anyway, later on I think I'll go to the shop and rustle around there for awhile.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

84* in celcius is 29* I just looked it up. Everyone should try it some time.

Last edited by slantflat; March 22nd, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 04:36 PM

Well good to hear you had "fine" weather when you were here Mike. We got a bit of rain early this week but that's it, now it's humid again
Yeah they encourage you to stop every 2 hours when driving to take a break and stretch. On the holidays they even open up the driver reviver stops. These are little stalls spread out all over the place run by volunteers giving the driver of the vehicle a free coffee and a couple of biscuits. They are cool since they are usually around a rest stop anyway so everyone can get out and have a toilet break if need be as well. You have to remember lots of Aussies have driving holidays and it's good to stop every now and then, especially with kids in the car. That being said when we went to the Dubbo Zoo for Minette's birthday a couple years back Tink and I just drove and had fuel stops and one breakfast stop since we left at 2 in the morning. Took us around 10 hours from memory.
Marc having just packed up a house that wasn't ours I can see where you're coming from. At least you will have help on what to pack and what not. Take your time and don't overdo it. Boxes get real heavy if you're not careful Hopefully you don't have to same "family issues" we are currently having.
Currently 28 degrees here, 9 in the morning with an expected high of 32 so not too bad.
Take care all,
Adrian
Old March 22nd, 2019, 10:08 PM

Well, dang Mike, my memory must be failing me, as I could have sworn that you had a Borgward. My bad. Speaking of bad, I think that my computer is going south, it freezes up, and the mouse/cursor won't work. The wireless mouse flashes like it is trying to connect to the receptor ( not sure what it's called), but the receptor, which is always lit up, shuts off. I have to shut down the computer and restart it in order for it to work. It has done this three times in two days, once with a loud humming coming through the speakers. I may take it in to have it checked before I buy another one. We used to have a Dell discount through Alcoa, but since the company split up, it no longer exists for us.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 04:44 AM

Good day folks.

Its saturday i see. Rainy and windy- roads and sidewalks are melted already, and our driveway starts to show signs of gravel too. Called to work yesterday to ask when we start and what will i do this year, since as some guys remember, i jumped out of that CMM-job mid-season last year after i got totally Fed up for salaries being wrong all the time and savings from stupid things. So, they did buy me "new" truck for this year, and ill begin to drive it, just like i was supposed last year until one got kicked just when i joined and i temporarily replaced him for the rest of the season. Almost laughed after the phonecall, by driving that truck and on the spot im assigned, i earn probably more than anyone else on the Company Plus its good when we get that baby at ~july, i can just drop off for as long as i want/need without hassles. Great s*it!

Visited garage also yesterday, just some minor stuff. Was relieved to junk all those An-to-hose fittings and replace them with regular hose-fittings. Not much else? Waiting for machineries to call me to get my stuff, which costs who knows how much Also had fun repairing my new PoS Ford Mondeo workcar, various things got fixed with self-drilling screws I paid 500$ for it, just received MOT. Ill drive this season with it and just junk it, burns oil like M* but i get it free from work; good used oil

Ausraven - Same here, when we travel, stops occurs when we need to refuel. Longest drive ive done is just few minutes shy of 24 hours with only fuel-stops and no driver-swaps, from Budapest to Tallinn. Otherwise longest is 32 or was it 33 hours, so that i slept few hours during night, wife accomplishing Austria drive-thru during my nap, then i jumped back to Wheel. Can you say i love driving

Nailheadcanuck - Have a good trip

442Fanatic - Did you drive your car as supposed?

Okay, i quess thats that for now. Ill quess ill start to do few delicious steaks on pan soon… Have a day all!
Old March 23rd, 2019, 04:51 AM

Dan, my laptop has done things like that also. I've taken it in and it's always a program with a worm or virus or something like that. It's never actually been a hardware problem yet. It will go to sleep sometimes and the only way to get it to go is unplug it and remove the battery. then it will reboot and run again. It also has a problem sometimes where it turns the cooling fan on and off rapidly really weird...
Got to go over and work in the barn yesterday on my new(old) truck. It was only about 30-35 yesterday so not much thawing, supposed to warm up today.
Boy I would like to visit your country, Adrian. Back when I was in the Navy I was going to transfer onto a ship that was going to go to Australia, the transfer was delayed and I didn't make it in time to go on the cruise. After the ship was back I did transfer and heard all the stories about how beautiful it was and how the local girls just loved the US sailors, sure wish I hadn't missed that!
Last night we went to a local pub for dinner and drinks with 4 other couples. After they all came over to our house, played some cards and drank some more. This morning I have a little "spark knock" in my head. Well it was a good time. That's all I got this morning, take care.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 06:08 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out and sunny, a bit cold but it's supposed to warm up into the 60s. Got a long list of things to do, I wonder if I'll do any of them.

Dan that was you that said that? Well, I do have some weird stuff, might as well have a Borgward. They are beautiful. There's a guy in Texas that was hacking one apart for a guy that wanted a different engine in it, maybe that's what you're thinking of? Jamesbo mentioned one on here once, who knows.

Well it's Awful house then I don't know what. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 10:52 AM

Dan that was you that said that?
Guilty as charged! Not much going on, mild weather about 40°. I may go look at a dining set. My sister wants me to upgrade so we can have xmas eve. dinner at my place.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 12:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It's Saturday.....
The week has flown by.

What haven't we discussed on this thread??? I know - vacuum cleaners. We have a built in Eureka central vac and it's 20 years old. It still works fine because it only gets used 'occasionally'. I remember the missus telling me that if I bought her that and installed it when we were building this house that she'd vacuum at least 2x a week. Hahahahahaha. Guess how long that lasted? Anywho after we got the new carpet installed 2 years ago it just nebber seemed to work well. The power head just would bog down and didn't want to spin much. I thought maybe it was due to the pile being thicker and higher (48oz carpet). Well I did some web browsing and found out that the drive belt in the power head should be changed every 2 years or sooner. Hahaha ours is 20 years old. I ordered some new ones (pack of 4) from amazon and installed one. Ezpz and now the vacuum works like new. BUT, now I need to get some vacuum bags for the canister in the basement. Local shop has them cheaper and faster. I'll get them on Monday coming home from the bonspiel.

Wow! Gas here has shot up a whopping 10¢/L ( that's 45¢/imp gallon) overnight. WTF??? Not like there's a holiday coming, except for the rug rats having a spring break....

Plenty of melting going on here but still lots to go on our lawns. Back yard apparently was hit hard by voles this past winter. I see the tracks in the snow and the torn up grass where the snow has receded. First time I ever saw one of those I thought it was a political mouse that had gotten too fat eating at the trough...

The missus and I took in the Home show at the Expo Center on Thursday. We are looking specifically for upgrades to windows and insulation. I have 2 insulation projects and one is spray foam; the other is attic blow in to R60. Time to rid the house of some drafts. One contractor who we called a week ago came by yesterday and said our attic was down to around R30. He quoted us around $1100 to top it up to R60 with fibreglass blow in. More visits scheduled and I'll see what the average price works out to.

Marc - I know you said cheaper to buy a new house but that's not really true is it? I'd probably have to go through the same BS with that. I'm looking at triple pane windows with double Low E coatings and argon fill. Of course there will be offsets and I understand how this works. However, a trade show discount of 35% on product (not labor) is a good deal and needs to be carefully evaluated. BTW, Kelsey Rocque is the new curling coordinator at the Saville Community Sports Center where I curl Wed and Fri. I know her and we chat weekly. She's already in the pro circuit my friend, but not quite Team Canada material yet. But then, somehow Chesea Carey is wearing the Maple Leaf on her back and IMO she's even less qualified to do that. Kelsey is a very nice young lady. Really short too, but very outgoing and easy to chat with. Nice form on the ice too in case you haven't noticed This is the first time in 20 years that Canada has missed the playoffs and seeded so poorly - 8th place overall and we were the defending world champs last year. Well, let's see what Kevin Koe can do next weekend. Mens world curling starts in Lethbridge then and it will be another week of round robin play. I see his old third, Mark Kennedy has formerly joined Brad Jacobs, and Jacobs (and team) have booted Ryan Fry. That's a good move in the right direction.

Adrian - Nice to see you again. Did you do that nice braid on Legos hair? Looks awesome.

Dan - You might want to try reinstalling your software for those devices. They might have become corrupted over time. You know how to search for and download them? Then just uninstall the old and install the new. Might save you some time and expense.

Jouni - Sounds like you have your work schedule and truck planned for the summer. Nice to be top dog on the totem pole isn't it?
Old March 23rd, 2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
What haven't we discussed on this thread??? I know - vacuum cleaners
I can't imagine why

Allan, I guess ya know when you clean out a vacuum cleaner, ya become one [vacuum cleaner that is]

Went norte early and returned this mawn'in Had a family coming this afternoon and this evening have a welcome home party for a nephew that jes returned from Afghanistan [Army black hawk pilot]

Cooked for my 92 year old uncle that [like me] really enjoys food and variations. Left him some corn-beef and cabbage [ on sale after St paddy day] a home made chicken pot pie and sum New Orleans Cole slaw,[ It has chopped pecans and maple syrup in it along with the usual cabbage, carrots, scallions etc]

Old March 23rd, 2019, 02:25 PM

Amish=$$$. Allan, not sure how to do the software thing. Gas here jumped to $2.85 gal a couple of days ago, but dropped to $2.79, which is what I paid today for a fill up, but of course, 30 miles away near the outskirts of Grand Rapids, where I was at, debating if I wanted to part with my hard earned cash for an Amish dining set, it was $2.65 gal. Dammit. Gonna go grocery shopping an get ingredients for making a pizza. Already picked up some blue (bleu?) cheese from the deli, to make blue cheese burgers later in the week.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 04:16 PM
Oh no, not again...

The only thing I know about vacuum cleaners is that mine sucks. The last one we had really sucked, but in a different way, it actually refused to suck, so therefore it sucked. This one cost us a fortune, but it sucks.

Allan, I talked to Kelsey's dad yesterday and he gave me the lowdown on her recent move back to the area. Yeah, she's short, she comes by it naturally. Both her parents are short.
As for renos costing more; - depends what you're up to. I do know people who when it was all said and done ended up gutting most of the interior of their houses at expenses that rivaled building new. I don't imagine you're going to spend that much. My parents dumped about 140K into their place inside the first 2 years and then about the same again over the past 15. Just to paint the exterior of the place is 27K with scaffolding a necessity. So yeah, once one goes down that slippery slope...we ended up deciding against a reno in our old and paid for place and bought a much bigger and nicer place. Sure, we have a mortgage, but it's still cheaper than most, and it's cheaper than rent. We kept our old place up and it bagged a fairly good sum. The hope is when I leave here and retire and sell this place I'll have enough to buy something other than a refrigerator box in Victoria. Right now I'm still at the double door with the bottom freezer model, and that's not big enough for me and a Buick.

Got some steaks for the bar-b- ...uh..."grille" tonight. Looking forward to it; it'll be the first time this year. I can finally actually get to the grille again, don't have to climb a flippin' snowbank.

There is a 1960 Borgward Isabella for sale in California, there's an LA dealership that has what's left of one. The body is reasonably straight and rust free, (a big deal for those as they rusted like shipwrecks) the motor is all there and looks like it might run, but the interior is melted and completely shot. Apparently it's an Arizona car, and it looks like it has spent a lot of time in the desert cooking. They want close to $9K for it, which is OTL. I'd think it'd be worth a 1/4 of that, because most of the interior is unobtainium and incredibly rare. They probably got it for $500 from a junk dealer.

Well; time to stoke up the bar-be-...uh, "grille"...
Old March 23rd, 2019, 04:22 PM
Running On Empty

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...
Old March 23rd, 2019, 04:57 PM

Brewed about 35 miles from me.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 05:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Marc, I'd be curious to know about what Kelsey's dad said. Send me a PM??

Some interesting stuff with her. Her Lead from 2012 - 2014 Claire Tully was the curling coordinator at the Saville at those times. Claire married and has 2 children now so has stepped away from everything to raise the family. From 2015-18 Laura Crocker (her third) took over as the curling coordinator at the Saville during Claire's maternity leaves. Laura has since married Geoff Walker (Gushue Rink fame) and stepped away from the Saville position to skip her own team. Laura used to curl with Chelsea Carey, and I'm really glad she made the break from her. Kelsey took over as the curling coordinator in the fall of 2018 at the Saville. Her team really likes keeping itself tied to the Saville doesn't it? She still needs to learn a lot about the management and logistics of being a curling coordinator. Give her time, she's still young.

Good to hear your vacuum sucks. Ours does too but also in a good way....

About the house, you're right we're not looking to gut and redo everything. I'm looking at 6 triple pane windows, Attic and garage insulation. The garage will be spray foam as the builder (Jayman) didn't seal the rim joists properly and there's a bonus room over top that suffers from coolness in the winter. The ECO tight spray foam will go to the rim joists all around the perimeter. Then I'll have another company come in and seal the trusses up properly (at the top) in the sub cavity and blow in an R30 fiberglass fill. The trusses will then be filled with R40 batts, and then boarded with 5/8 fireboard, taped and mudded. I doubt our projects will cost more than $10K.

Good luck with the grill. I've been using mine for about 3 weeks now.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 05:20 PM
Always room for one more

What a gorgeous day, and I actually accomplished something outside. A couple weeks ago Tiger was running full steam after a squirrel and the squirrel jumped the fence and Tiger went head first into it. Knocked one of the boards completely in half and jarred loose a few others. The fence is once again complete and it was nice to actually get out and fix something. I also got extra boards so I can start the fence project at my Mom's when I go down there next.

Allan I've heard now the thinking is not to use spray foam insulation, because it will off-gas and poison you. Isn't that ridiculous? If you moved you'd have to give up your second floor observation deck.

So Dan did you get the dining room set? Nice of your sister to volunteer to spend your money like that.

Well the new dream of a Chrysler Hurst car was short lived. Even the lunched-out non-Hurst cars are a fortune. Also the car I wanted in Dallas is sold, but there is a Valiant, also in Dallas, that is mostly primer and needs a month worth of work to get running(seller's words) and he -only- wants 4K. I think I will set my sights on a first gen Toronado that I can cut up into little pieces.

Gonna clean up in the kitchen a little then watch a movie. Speaking of Valiant, I haven't seen an old rusty tanker push one off a cliff in awhile. Might pop that one in. Although I still yell when the Valiant bites it.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 05:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, that's simply not true. Yes there is off gassing even when it's properly applied. That's why when it's sprayed the house has to be vacated for 24 hours till the product is fully cured. Lots of bad stories out there. Moral is get a qualified technician who knows how to mix and apply. The guy I'm using is the same one who sprayed houses for the DIY guru Mike Holmes.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 05:52 PM

Morning everyone, still warm here but I'm sure some of you would love it
I'm with Mike on this one Dan, is your sister paying for the table upgrade?
No way can I do hair like that Allan, Tink did that for her. Good luck with the home reno mate. At least you will be able to stay in the house while the few jobs get done.
Dan I would say you might even need a full reinstall of everything. I do that from time to time and you'd be surprised at how much faster the computer works after you reinstall everything. Just have to remember to backup all your important files first
Greg there are nice places down here that's for sure and coming in from US naval boat you would only see the big cities. I'm sure the locals would say the same if a boat load of Aussie sailors turned up in one of your ports LOL
Difference between Europe and Australia is that as soon as you're out of the city the scenery doesn't change much so it gets boring quick Inline lol from Brisbane to Perth, east to west coast it is a 4300km drive. You get real tired looking out for kangaroos that's for sure That same distance in Europe will take you through a LOT of countries
You make some nice sounding food Jamesbo. We've tried a couple of your recipes that you have put up over the years and they are always nice.
Time to get some work done around here, take care all,
Adrian
Old March 23rd, 2019, 07:15 PM
Always room for one more

Allan that's good to know. You can't go wrong using a contractor that works for Mike Holmes. When you're done you'll be able to heat that room with a candle(that's a Mike Holmes saying).

Adrian I keep saying I want to go to Perth and then go see the Red Dog statue in Dampier. I was thinking the two towns are close together. Nope. Dampier is a 17 hour drive from Perth. I can fly from Perth to a town closer to Dampier but that's a lot of seat time on an airplane. Home-LA-Melbourne-Perth-[town close to Dampier] and then return. Sheesh. There's lots more I'd like to see in Australia but I can't fit it into my extended weekend. One of these times Tiger might just have to take one for the team so I can spend more than a few days there.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 08:14 PM

Yeah people don't realize just how big Australia is. If you had 2 weeks you probably couldn't see everything you wanted Bud.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 08:42 PM

Mike & Adrian, no & no. Looking at a couple of wood types and stains. I would like Elm with Michael's cherry stain, just beautiful in that combo, the grain just pops. The table, with leafs out to 108" is about $1500, but chairs run $200- 350 apiece, and I want ten of 'em. Ka Ching!!! Might have to skip the Amish craftsmanship and go cheaper.
Old March 24th, 2019, 07:39 AM

mawn'in

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

Unfortunately, it's spose to be like a cow on a flat rock for golf Monday

For reasons unknow, everytime I think of Mr Rogers, Mr Robinson comes to mind

Old March 24th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Running On Empty

Gorgeous day for golf here on the NC coast; and very low wind. Bring it.