The *NEW* Good Morning Thread! - Page 675 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > General > The Clubhouse
The *NEW* Good Morning Thread! >

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old March 9th, 2019, 04:14 PM

Old March 10th, 2019, 08:15 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice all night, and when I finally got up for good around 830 it was raining. Thought we might have as nice a day as yesterday. Nope. Got plenty to do inside though.

Awful house was packed this morning. I guess all the people got up too late for church, so they went to breakfast instead. If I was by myself I would have kept on truckin' but since Tiger was with me we stayed. As much as I hate a crowd, it's kind of nice to be around others, and talk with them, instead of talking to them and not being answered back.

I think we should change our clocks once a month, so it's always light at 9pm.

Okay gonna go find something to do. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:07 AM

Love dem Deuce and quarters

Safe travels Mike

So Is Dr. Rolf a cardiologist? How's de stew?
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:17 AM

So Is Dr. Rolf a cardiologist? How's de stew?
I have the answer for neither. The food from them was not spicy, but I woke up at about 5am with really bad acid reflux, and have been dealing with it all morning. The down side is, I may have to scratch it off of my list of eateries. Dang it.
Old March 10th, 2019, 05:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat View Post
I think we should change our clocks once a month, so it's always light at 9pm.
I'm surprised our government hasn't found a way to tax daylight savings time!
Old March 10th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It has been cooler today and overcast. We had a NTOC meeting today and it was at Sonny Bryant's BBQ so I got a good lunch that only cost me 14 bucks. Getting ready for the trip to New Orleans. We are leaving in the morning so you boys won't hear from me for 5 or 6 days. I think New Orleans has the best food in the USA and I will be lucky if I only gain 5 or 6 pounds. The Expedition is gassed up and ready. I hope all you guys have a good week and I will be back on Friday.

Glenn
Old March 10th, 2019, 07:46 PM
Always room for one more

Turned out to be a beautiful day, in fact it's still 69* out. I washed the dogmobile for the first time in over a year, it looks brand new. Well...

Safe trip Glenn. Run up to Ponchatoula and say hey to John.

Dan you can keep going there, just sleep standing up.

Found a couple boxes this morning that I went through. Loads of snapshots I had taken over the years, who even does snapshots anymore? A lot of them were of my beloved Max. He was my first German Shepherd and lived to be 16. Lots of cars I've had over the years, my first house, really cool to see them. Also there were a lot of newspaper articles I saved, and a clip that held a pager. Hm.

So I had thought about getting a home incinerator. That way I could burn all my refuse and not have to pay a company to come pick it up. Anybody know anything about these? I saw a few that are totally contained that don't smoke or anything, and it burns everything down to ash. Sounds good.

Well bed time. I'm stiff from crawling all over the car. And it's tall so I had to get up on a ladder to wash the roof. The first day of Daylight Saving Time was a success. Good night everyone.
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Oh no, not again...

Just got in from the coin show; - it was a good one, no trouble, lots of people through the door, (even with the lousy weather on Friday) and everything worked out great. As I said earlier, I have a great team, and they pulled through again. As for me, I'm absolutely exhausted. I took tomorrow off, I'm going to sleep.
Sold a couple of watches, bought a couple of Thalers...broke even. Not bad I guess...

I'm done...tomorrow...later...
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:53 AM

Good Morning.

Back at home again. Was a good trip minus one too soft bed on hotel where we stayed for one night, and got my back hurting for two days.
Not much else, just a regular trip with two guys on board.

Today ill get my stuff to balancing, so its getting closer to completion too.

Well, have a day all, i now continue to follow this again.
Old March 11th, 2019, 05:59 AM

Sounds like the meet went well, Marc. Good when a plan all comes together, and well!
Mike, It's fun to look at old photos, isn't it. We looked at a lot of them while moving, found a bunch.
Checked codes on truck and they are p0010 and p0200. Has nothing to do with 02 sensor. Has to do with variable valve timing. Went on line and looked about it. Now I'm all freaked out!! No only joking, everything I look up on line it seems is so overblown and dramatic, been there before on other issues. As soon as the weather straightens up I'm going to check out wiring issues and maybe replace the Variable Valve Timing Solinoids (can be done easily) but I don't plan to get into the engine itself. All the alarmists on line say if if I don't tear it down and replace entire drive train then soon it will explode and ruin the complete engine, I may loose control and get me and my family killed! Seriously if I can fix it easily I will, if not I'll just drive the thing. The variable valve timing is to increase the fuel economy on the highway, I plan to use this truck as a work truck mostly.
Yesterday it was supposed to get pretty warm so I went out to look at the truck but even though the temp was up in the 40's it was windy and damp. Actually kinda miserable, so I gave it up and vegged all day. Take care guys.
Old March 11th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got a late start this morning, don't know why. Got up around 830, must have just took my time. Nice out, sun comes and goes.

Greg you got me thinking. The dogmobile's check engine light has been on for weeks. I assumed it was one of the oxygen sensors. Maybe I should have it scanned to see exactly what is going on. The low tire pressure light is also on. The tires are aired up to 35. Although the sticker in the door jamb says 36 up front and 49 in the back. The tires the dealer put on it are only rated to 44. Hm. I think the bulb coming out is going to be the fix for that.

Marc glad the show was a success. You've earned a well deserved day off. Don't forget to take down your banners from the overpasses.

Got a couple errands to attend to then I need to start assembling my bags. The flights are all set and my friends will be waiting for me when I deplane. Tiger isn't going to be happy. Although they say dogs don't understand time. He could be there two hours or two months and it would be the same to him. I wonder who asked the dogs this.

Okay happy Monday everyone.
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:44 PM

Got 18 in before the skies opened up. Played like a goat

Marc, Glad your show was a success, I used to have a pretty good pile of BU St gaudens. I probably. I should start restocking. I jes need to figure out how to buy low and sell high

Mike, Have fun in Oz

Allan, what in the Wild wild world of Sports do you do with that much beef jerky?

Greg, I've got piles of old photos that will probably go in the dumpster when I go horizontal. I wife actually hing and old pic of someone she thought was a relative that was actually the pic that came in an antique frame my mother bought at a junk shop..
Old March 11th, 2019, 06:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo View Post
Allan, what in the Wild wild world of Sports do you do with that much beef jerky?.
I sure as heck don't hang around playgrounds or schools offering it to kids who need a ride home Some of it goes into the freezer, some gets eaten toot sweet. Y'all know I'm gonna get pestered from local friends who are too cheap to buy their own cuz it's too expensive. Now I know why hunters are the go to sources for cheapsters.. I mixed the spices up a bit so it's a mix of Teriyaki and Traditional blend. I use it sometimes for in between snacks that are high in protein.
Shameless plug for Cabela's

Marc - Good on ya! BTW you probably didn't know but Shane Blakely did a flyover on the Hojo on Sunday and was plugging your show from the Global 1 copter. The lot didn't look all that busy at 10:00 but I'm sure it picked up. Did you need to fumigate your clothes afterwards from the rug perfume? Sorry I didn't make it to meet you. Maybe another time. Maybe I'll PM you when we both have time and we could meet up for coffee klatch?

Tomorrow is oil change day for the Sonata. Been too cold to get it done lately and it's overdue. Amazing thing is the level is still full and the oil appears relatively clean even after 8K km. I'm impressed with that Pennzoil full synthetic Platinum. And, it's on sale right now for 29.00 for 5L!
Old March 11th, 2019, 10:17 PM

Allan, did you get a letter from Hyundai?
Old March 12th, 2019, 06:31 AM

mawn'in

Maybe the rain has stopped fer a while

Boy, This thread really covers alot of information, We've gone from watches, coins, babes to beef jerky

Have a great day Olds friends

Oh and Curling
Old March 12th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all,

Last batch of jerky is in the dehydrator as I type. It will be ready around 1:00 pm. Already my son is starting to pack goody bags for his buds to test. Told him I'm not the local dealer....samples are ok but not on a continual basis.

We had a lot of melting go on yesterday with almost record temperatures and suntan weather. Colder this mawnin and no return to the tropical weather for at least a week. Figures, Ma nature musta been having a hot flash, but is now back on her cycle....

Ordered new shoes for the Sonata last night from Costco. Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's . Probably have to wait a week to get them in but I'll wait a week after that to book the install just in case that white crap makes another appearance.

Dan - What letter? I've had letters in the past asking if I wanted to trade my ride on a new one, but nothing else. Something I should know about??

Jim - I didn't put much about curling in the posts cuz I figgered you were plumb wore out with it. BUT, this past weekend, since ya brung it up, Team Wildcard (Brendan Bottcher) played in the 1-2 page playoff against top seeded Kevin Koe. It was the battle of AB, which was nice in a way cuz AB was gonna go home wit de trophy and 1/4 million + in cash and funding for the next year. Came down to the very last rock, and to be honest I was hoping Wildcard would win. But nooooo, Koe unleashes a guided missile and wins de Brier by 1 point. Next year Brendan, next year. 3 times lucky they say.

Greg - Good luck with the truck. I looked up those codes and like you said it might be an easy fix. What letter code did the P0010 show? P0200 - does it show what injector? Personally it bugs the crap out of me if there's a CEL on the dash but like you said it's going to be a work truck. Did the PO say how long the CEL has been on?

Jouni - Always feels better to be back in the comfort of home no matter where you've been visiting. When you're away just remember to click your heels together and repeat "There's no place like home" till you feel better.
Old March 12th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well it's down to the wire. Got to finish getting all my stuff together then head to the airport. Been to the chiro this morning and Awful house. Need to get over to the shop somehow and bring the truck home, so it looks like someone's here this week. Sounds dumb but hey can't take chances. My home security system won't be home.

Looks like it's going to be nice this week. Of course since I won't be home. Eh, it will be hot and sunny where I'll be. When I get back I expect we'll be full swing into pollen season.

Sunny right now, maybe 50. Should be a nice day for flying

Well see you guys in a week. I'll try to check in but the hotel's wifi is hit or miss. Heck, maybe I could log in with this fancy phone. Have a good week everyone.
Old March 12th, 2019, 08:57 AM

Old March 12th, 2019, 09:08 AM

Allan, this isn't just Hyundai. I talked to my buddy who is a senior applications eng. at Mahle. It is an industry wide problem, they have been working with Ford and FCU to get this resolved, and have one dynometer dedicated to this issue. Basically it amounts to the fact that mfgs.are asking small displacement enignes to do the work of larger engines. Too much stress @ peak torque. Ford was getting engines back ( 3.5 ecoboost) with destroyed ring lands and no evidence of why it happened. It is a nano second timing event, that we cannot preceive, that sends a shockwave from the piston down to the crank, and in Sonatas' case the rod bearings. we talked for about 40 minutes Sunday night. Can't really get all of the info posted here.
Old March 12th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks Dan,
My Sonata is older than that and has the 3.3 Lambda Gen 2 engine. The recall doesn't apply to it. Although other recall notices for the car have been applied and errors corrected. Thank you for remembering I own a Sonata.
Old March 12th, 2019, 11:29 AM
O'smobile

Talking insert laughing crying imogi

Originally Posted by citcapp View Post
To all of the Good morning posters.

When I opened the thread this morning there was a prorn/spammer on the site and when I went to delete his post and ban him I hit thread delete by mistake. I have sent Omicron and Oldsguy a message to hopefully recover the thread. I Sincerely apologize for this error and hope it can be recovered

cictapp
Pat
Old March 12th, 2019, 11:39 AM

Yep, Our ole friend Pat made a boo boo and the 1st "Good morning thread" is forever lost to cyber space BUT we recovered quickly
Old March 12th, 2019, 12:22 PM

Evening.

Been doing loads of small fixes to house, which i havent had time during winter ( ) until now when work-starting closes every day.. SoonŽ i have my electric-box done. Its kinda Evolution 1, might update some day, but it still beats separate relays/ fuses hanging at the end of the wires around engine compartment.

Allan R - So youre getting some warmer air at last? Good to hear

Jamesbo - 675 pages now, wow. How much dis the old thread have? Any idea?

Okay.. Have a day all. Ill probably watch some tv, go shower myself with drinking water and go to sleep.
Old March 12th, 2019, 01:20 PM

Jouni, sorry, I can't remember, Pat [Citcapp] was a prince of a guy, unfortunately he went home to glory several years ago.
Old March 12th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Oh no, not again...

Finally recovered from the weekend, amazing what 2 nights of good sleep will do. It was a good show; no hiccups, no issues, lots of people went through (> 1100) and the dealers reported good sales. I saw a lot of people at the appraisal table, but this time I didn't see anything unique or interesting, all run of the mill stuff. Amazing how many people there are who are looking to liquidate inherited collections. It was to the point where anyone who came up that was under 50 automatically was assumed to want to liquidate. Scary; because that's going to be the story of a lot of our collections in the next few decades, the cars too. Younger people have other priorities and just don't seem to be into the same things we are, so it'll die off with our generation. Pretty sad, really.

Allan, - no, I had no idea that Global plugged our show from the traffic cam; - but it isn't the first time. It's a bad intersection, and the parking lots are small. The extra snow and crap didn't help either. We got the lots plowed on Friday and that helped, but the congestion is inevitable. The first year we did the show there the parking lot in front of the HoJo was a pay lot owned by someone else; - they wrote over 300 fines that day. By Monday we got a call that their phone lines had melted down with all the profanity and threats that they were forgiving the tickets they issued. The next show we had signs posted, and their lot was empty and they had no revenue at all. Then they gave up and sold it to the HoJo. But that's great; we got some good publicity again. And yes, let's do coffee some time.

Dan, that's why I always buy normally aspirated cars. Turbos are neat, they build tons of power, and they go wrong and can cause interesting things to happen. Doesn't Hyundai still use Mitsubishi sourced designs for their engines? Mitsubishi should have lots of experience with turbos or supercharging from the war.

Mike, have a good trip; lots of wine, women and song, Oz is good for all of that! Stay safe! (Er, what was that my old crazy uncle used to say? "No glove, no love"...yeah, whatever!)

Jouni, it's finally warm here. It was 4 degrees and I was walking around without a coat, felt like spring.

Jamesbo, yup; this thread goes everywhere. And it's better having beef jerky than a beefy jerk; - still haven't got that bovine picture out of my head. She'd look great on a grille. At any rate; if the rain has stopped, does that mean another round of whitey smacking?

Greg, the only CEL you really have to worry about is the one that keeps flashing, that usually means your vehicle is about to have a major incident and that you are doing damage if you drive it. If it's just a regular solid "check engine" light, take your time, buy the parts. Invariably it's the most insignificant problem, but the most expensive and hardest to get to that's causing the light to stay on. That's how dealerships continue to make money.

Well, the dial came in for that Ball-Hamilton that I've been playing with, and the watch has been working flawlessly in my pocket for the past 2 weeks. I'm going to consider it fixed. It's not bad for a $100 investment, it's now a $600 watch if I can find a buyer.
Now, here's one thing that might be interesting; I have a line on another "Oldsmobile Service Guild" Gruen Precision 510 wristwatch from the 1950s. I already have a brand-new NOS case and an XL burgundy leather strap for one, and depending on the condition of the mechanism and what's wrong with it, I might have one for sale. Would there be any interest here before I put it out to the world if I get it running?

Have a good evening!
Old March 12th, 2019, 09:39 PM

Marc, the service bulletin covers normally aspirated cars as well, which mine is. About four years ago the turbo version of the Santa Fe was 260 hp, it is now down to 235 hp. Makes me think that they were having problems earlier, and starting backing off on the power to help alleviate it. I can't honestly say for sure if the Hyundai's are Mitsu sourced engines or not. I have never heard of that before. I think that my next vehicle will have a six under the hood, fuel mileage is nice, but I miss having a bit of power. Having the engine wind up to 5000 rpm's just to pass someone just doesn't cut it.
Old March 13th, 2019, 04:56 AM

Hi Guys, I just noticed I had put down codes 0010 and 0200 in the earlier thread, actually it was P0010 and P0020, ( same problem, different bank). Got snooping around the truck yesterday (weather in the 50's and sunny- so nice). I found the wires unplugged to both Variable Valve Timing solinoids (VVT)!. Ahhh something is going on here, they both didn't just unsnap and fall off.... I specifically asked the seller what the light was on for and he told me O2 sensor. He lied to me, I'm sure. I looked on the net about problems with this system and one was if the truck is driven at higher speeds under light load ( highway), the cam timing is advanced to give better fuel economy. Then when you slow down and go back to city type driving, the cam retards back to normal. The problem comes when the cam "sticks" advanced. It will run poorly at low RPM and maybe stall and not restart. I think this is what happened and the PO unhooked the wires so it doesn't advance. I plugged them back in and took truck for a drive for about 40 mile trip, 20 of it on interstate with cruise set on 70. No problems and no light. Well I'll try it that way and see. Pisses me off he lied about this, he actually told me a fib....
Neighbor who's house burnt now has lost his son, the one they were caring to when their house burn't, oh how sad....
Next couple days are supposed to be warm and rainy, I'm sure will be flooding all over.
Mike, hope you have a good trip!
Old March 13th, 2019, 06:07 AM

mawn'in

So, If I'm gonna get as good as Norm, I need to practice, practice, practice

Only problem is I'm never sure if I making a good habit or reinforcing a bad.

Norm, practice pointers appreciated
I'll be back

have a great day Olds friends
Old March 13th, 2019, 06:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Last day of league curling today, and then the windup luncheon. Menu is roast biff. Wonder if they make their biff as good as I do.

Greg - Somehow I'm not surprised that the seller lied. BTW, did you spray down the contacts for those plugs with electrical contact cleaner before hooking them back up?

Dan - My Sonata only has 235 hp and it's a V6. But it does have plenty of grunt when I put my foot down hard on the go pedal. It's a 5 speed AT. Fastest I've had it was a little over 110 mph. No problem getting there either.

Marc - Nice not having to worry about -30 temps going to the Fort isn't it? I think I'll still have to scrape this morning. Yeah, I hear ya on the rush to cash in on the stashes. We have quite a collection in our SDB but that all goes to our son. He's already started collecting what he considers 'keepers' in the quarter, loonie and toonie market. I recently got one of the colored toonies that commemorates armistice. It's a mint copy still packed in its cardboard/cellophane package. One of the guys at curling knows I flip for hammer using a resemblance day quarter with the poppy on it and got it for me. Most of the time it's a victory for us getting hammer using that coin.

Jim - Y'all jess gots ta be good nuff ta make yerseff happy and nuttin else. Sumtimes practice don't makes ya better. Know whut I meen???

Ok, that's it for now. Gotta go get myself looking like a curler.
Old March 13th, 2019, 09:55 AM

Allan, yours will do 130 mph if you are so inclined. When they went to 249 hp a couple of years later, the top speed was 140 mph.
Old March 13th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Honest Dan I don't know. When I had it up to 180 km/hr (111 mph) it was still going. I don't like driving that fast and in all honesty I didn't even look at the tach. Steering is very sensitive at that speed too. I don't ever want to have to repeat that episode. There is a video of my year (2007) on the web that shows it's capable of 152 mph

Old March 13th, 2019, 02:57 PM

Jean-Pierre Sarti:
The danger? Well, of course. But you are missing a very important point. I think if any of us imagined - really imagined - what it would be like to go into a tree at 150 miles per hour we would probably never get into the cars at all, none of us. So it has always seemed to me that to do something very dangerous requires a certain absence of imagination.
Old March 13th, 2019, 10:30 PM

Allan, I was going by an old review online that showed the 130, I know that the 249hp version will do 140 because one was in the news a few years ago in a police chase where they clocked the suspect at 140 mph, which was then verified by several sources as the top speed of that car. I am inclined to think that the 150 mph is due to a chipped prom in the cars computer. My Saturn Aura was supposed to hit 140, but had a electronic limiter built into it. I think that the fastest that I had it was 110. A little too old for that **** now a days. It is also why I have no interest in the mega hp cars now being produced. Too much power to control.
Old March 14th, 2019, 06:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all,

Quiet here today and a nice mild cold start to the day. Trash guy was just here and I spose he will be slipping and sliding everywhere with the freeze that's all over the sidewalks. Not much that can be done with that seasonal hazard I guess except be careful.

The last game yesterday ended up being a tie, and since we weren't playing for the BMW or Cadillac that's ok. I feel really good about how I curled as most of the points we got were from my draws. I won't be re-joining this particular team in the fall as there are controversial decisions and disagreements between the skips calls and expectations for BS plays. That's been a sore spot all year.

Nice to see pavement re-emerging on the roadways, but holy mackeral they've been covering up some monster potholes with that snow.....
Old March 14th, 2019, 07:39 AM

mawn'in

Cool but clear,

Family coming this mawn'in

Then we get to start mowing and weed whacking.1st time of the season. Joy of joys

I've never drove past 130 in a car and that was when I was young and stupid. As a passenger in another college friends car, he over steered on a dirt road and we rolled a few times. We ended up under the car [sand windshield [crushed] in a road side ditch with gasoline pouring down on us. If it had been for our heads in the ditch, we've been decapitated or had our necks broken.

That and witnessing the crash at Yellow River was enough for me
http://www.gendisasters.com/georgia/...ident-mar-1969

Have a great day Olds friends
Old March 14th, 2019, 08:07 AM

Jamesbo: Wow. The weather here has been warming up the last couple of days, with temps in the 40's. Supposed to hit upper 50's today before dropping back down into the 30's for Sat. But it looks like spring may be on it's way, as temps will be in the 40's next week. We have had a downpouring of rain the last couple of nights, so the snow is making a hasty retreat. Still a couple of inches out there covering the ground. Should be gone by today except for the piles by the roads.
Old March 14th, 2019, 10:45 AM

Evening guys. Been all over busy with fixing our home and meanwhile doing my car since it promises spring now officially, and that means work starts any day. Tho wild quess is ~2-3 weeks. Just came from sauna. Was astonished to found out today that at our nr.1 news-paper had at "news" ( actually an write-up from reader, but had gained space from actual newspaper ) about burning fireplaces at our capital-area. The liner was " WHO pays if my childrens get sick due to burning fireplaces".
Talk about BS. Just a regular story; electricity comes from Wall, as well as heat; its all fine to "greens" as long as its " out of eyes, out of mind". Ill stop there. Let me just say that this has got out of hands especially on our 5,6milj population country.

Allan R - Was that team your speaking about the "wednesday"-team? The one who got replacement you didnt like at all? Scariest stuff ive done with a car ever was driving my Cutlass at 110mph Took two lanes; i quess theres something worn at chassis.. Anyways. Highest ive been is around 135mph, Volvo S80 2.5D. I usually test my cars top-speed, and at summer i come occasionally from work to home when theres ZERO other drivers on the whole 66 miles trip to home. Thats how low-populated we are; and its even on our main-motorways i drive straight from capital-area to home

Nailheadcanuck - Good to hear your weekend went well. Thats how it goes, new generation; new interests. Biggest problem ive seen at our hobby, and by the way; this goes to this site too. Occasionally older people asks and start a topic about what to do to our hobby to preserve it and maintain and gain interest from younger generation; we ( youngers) answer, and yet they Still totally neglet our answers and decides themselves what we want/ need. No wonder its dying, Same thing at our country. Other thing is prices that have gotten out of hands here, you can except to pay +2000$ for completetely raped-up 80-90's STW GM which only selling point is that it have MOT done.

Okay, have a day all. Ill go play with my boy

Last edited by Inline; March 14th, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old March 14th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Oh no, not again...

I used to to love to drive fast, I had a 1969 Buick Wildcat 2 dr hardtop that I built a 455 Stage I for and it also had a 2.45 (or something like that, 1969 only too) axle, the thing went 145 mph at 4200 rpm. I ran it up to that speed on a back-road and crossed over an intersection and caught some air. I thought I was dead; the car hit the ground hard and it was everything I could do to hold on to it and not roll it. I got it stopped, and that was the only time in my life where my knees were knocking and a$$hole was puckering; - never did it again. I was 25 at the time. I still don't know how I got that thing stopped, there were sparks and parts and rubber everywhere. A brand new set of brakes, tires and shocks were destroyed in that little maneuver. Busted a motor mount and crushed a muffler and spilled my beer too.
My current Wildcat is good for about 120, and the Electra hasn't been run faster than 110 mph in a passing maneuver going uphill. It's amazing what modern tires will do, but those cars are still very hairy at those speeds. And a wreck in a convertible at any speed is liable to be fatal, so I'm an total idiot for doing it. Can't help it though, I just love driving the things, and there's no beer or narcotics involved anymore. Still get a rush, but I've toned it down, and only will do speed runs when I'm alone and the only one I could kill would be myself.

Allan, the weather is glorious, and I haven't had to scrape in the mornings. Just went through 2 gallons of washer fluid though. This is so much more tolerable than the -40 stuff.

Jouni, you bring up a good point. A lot of people immersed in whatever hobby they are in refuse to listen, they think they know it all and are right. Then there's the elitist factor; there are a few younger people who'd love to get involved but they can't because the initial investment is too high and the cars are not available like they were in our day. I have a very good income but I would not be able to afford to get into this hobby if I was to start now. And then to top it off, and I saw this back in my day, where I finally got a car and the old guys just stand around and call it down and tell me I'm an idiot for spending money on it,should have bought this, and so on. My coin guys are the same way, they look down on the collectors of modern coinage and mint products because they've all evolved past that and are into something specialized like Roman or Greek coins. So these guys discourage the new members by adopting a snooty attitude, I think that's what you were referring to.

Jamesbo, must be nice, we won't see grass or a gold course around here for at least another 2 months. I'm jealous.

Dan, thanks for the clarification. As far as Mitsubishi supplying designs, - that was how Hyundai got started back in the 80s, they bought an old Mitsubishi engine and expanded on it. I had heard that they were still in bed with Mitsubishi engineering, but I can't confirm it anymore. Chrysler did the same thing, their last Mitsubishi sourced design was in the Neon, and it was the same as a concurrent Hyundai design as well.

Greg, let's hope you found the issue. Good detective work! I guess there's an old rule about buying used cars, drive it longer than 20 minutes or 40 miles if there are no codes showing, by the end of that period if there are any they'll crop up. Unscrupulous sellers used to pull the fuses and then replace them, that cleared the memory and would take the 20 minutes or 40 miles for the codes to start to reappear. However, if this guy told you this, I'm thinking he didn't have a clue; he probably got a CEL (an evap can alarm or something) and then took it somewhere for them to diagnose, and they told him an O2 sensor was bad and disconnected the solenoids in an attempt to generate some easy revenue. Engine runs "ok",but not right enough to ignore, fuel economy suffers and the exhaust stinks, and it shoots multiple codes. So O2 sensors are perfect; they cost a fortune to buy, and the labour is at least an hour, and every garage has a million burned out ones laying around. Seen a few garages do this sort of thing to generate easy revenue playing on unsuspecting or un-knowledgeable people, I learned from one of these crooked SOBs back when I was 16, it was my first "real" job. It's why I learned to fix and diagnose my own cars myself, he taught me never to trust a shop, and the terrible thing is, he was mostly right. I haven't seen too many honest garages in the past 38 years that I've been driving.

Anyway, just got that "Oldsmobile Service Guild" watch in, it looks like it'll run with some work, but the strap I thought I had doesn't fit. I'll have to order up another one. That's this weekend's project.

Have a good evening!
Old March 14th, 2019, 09:38 PM

Well, back when I was in my 20's, I had my '70 SX at pretty close to 140. On my way home from work in Holland, Mi. which was a 35 mile trip, second shift, and no development (malls, big box stores), still rural back then. Just put the metal to the pedal and she just kept accelerating like a locomotive, I was well pass the right hand turn signal, and she was still pulling when I backed off. My 40 minute trip took 20 minutes that time. I had to slow down for the town of Grand haven, Mi, as US 31 went through it. Next was a slightly modified '66 GTO with 3:08 gears that I got up to 135, verified by the Sheriff who pulled my buddy over and yelled at him (no ticket for him). Finally, I hit 129 in a '76 Vette L-82, with a Holley and a header/side pipe setup. Spun a rod bearing at that speed. This car I destroyed, the pics that I posted here before. That finally got me to slow down a bit, though i did take my then new '84 Buick GN up to 120. Been really trying to behave my self since then, and have for the most part. Marc, I emailed my Mahle Engineering buddy, and he dropped of the North American engine application charts for 2017 and 2018. It shows the specs. for all cars sold in N.A., their engines, who built them, and what vehicles they are used in. Hyundai builds it's engines and KIA's as well, but not Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi only builds engines for themselves. This is the N.A. market, so it may differ elsewhere globally.

Last edited by 1969w3155; March 14th, 2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old March 15th, 2019, 03:50 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo View Post
I'm never sure if I making a good habit or reinforcing a bad. Norm, practice pointers appreciated
There are two areas of my game which require no improvements although I continually practice those two areas:
(1) Driver - Ensure your right (trailing) shoulder is well below your left (leading) shoulder at address. Head & eyes behind the ball. Weight shift from trailing (RH) side to leading (LH) side should occur before the downswing occurs. Strike ball in center sweet-spot. Relaxed soft grip.
(2) Putting - Shorten your back swing and follow-through with swing to hole. Cadence/Tempo important - like a metronome. Use shoulders only. Ensure you're making a straight putting stroke.

The main points I try to address with each session on the range - which always requires more practice on my part:
(1) Long Irons - I have a tendency to 'rock' and/or 'sway' in my swing. I need to maintain my posture and remain still in my swing. I think I try to overpower the ball which leads to an erratic sway I need to stop doing.
(2) Long Irons - I have a tendency to 'lift' the ball which really knocks down on my distance. I need to achieve better control of my hands-forward of ball at impact to achieve further distance and compress the ball.

Tee-time 8:15 am this morning. Supposed to be ~80*F. Our greens are in fabulous condition. The fairways are beginning to dry out and we're seeing some greening up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.