The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Inline
Trying to fish and so far getting perch
Well if they're like this you got no worries
Old March 5th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Oh no, not again...

Not much happening in my little world, pretty boring actually.

Certainly not going to be trying to catch or torture fish; - they belong in the water. Can't stand fish of any type and am allergic to them, especially shellfish. Brings to mind an old German saying that translates to the following; "Fish and relatives begin to stink after three days." So you guys can keep 'em.

Mike, I can appreciate your sentiments about staying at your job; I'm kind of in the same boat. I was never cut out to be a chemical process operator, it took them 20 years to make me a good one. Now I'm training new ones, and having a blast. (Those who can't, teach...) My passion is history, I'd have made a good history prof, but the demand for one of those here in North America is next to nil. My career path would have probably ended up the same or worse, right now I make more than most history profs probably do. (The union is a great thing, even though I'm not in it anymore!) But, there are days and then there are days; having a few of those now, wondering why I'm still doing this...too bad I don't have the same kind of pension plan my father did, I'd be retired and on easy street by now if that were the case. Oh well...some of us are condemned to have to work until we're 65 as a result; those people who said 401Ks were a great idea had already made their money and got out when my idiot company bought into the idea. As a result, where they claimed it should have returned an average of 20% and tripled by now, it's averaged from a height of 11% and dropped down to a paltry 5% now and barely doubled. Bloody liars...And it was the usual story, idiot management spent all the pension money and booked it as revenue somewhere and then couldn't see how it could repay it out. Good thing is I won't need much, after 30 years of shift work I probably won't last too long after retirement anyway.

Weather supposedly is supposed to be getting warmer. Doesn't really feel like it, and it can't warm up soon enough.

Still gearing up for the big coin show this weekend...maybe that's why I'm in a bit of a funk.

Have a good night!
Old March 5th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Marc, why would the coin show put you in a funk? I thought you'd love that. Then again, I like fishes and other seafood....
Old March 5th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Oh no, not again...

The reason it does is because one is always apprehensive about how successful it's going to be, - or not, if it'll be a crashing failure. For the past 3 years we've been very worried because the economy in Alberta has more or less been in the toilet, - contrary to what our righteous and esteemed and honourable leaders would like us to believe. We keep expecting that this next show is going to be "it", and it'll be a bust where everyone will lose money. We saw the Calgary show more or less implode; - where it was once getting close to the same size as ours, it's now a 1/4 of the size and gets maybe 1/3 of the attendance, Ours coin show is still the largest show in all of Canada, including Toronto, (otherwise known as the Centre of the Universe, or the Progressive Cultural Mecca of Canada). It compares favorably with a mid-market US show like Baltimore or Detroit. So we have a lot at stake here, and I always tend to feel like we either forgot something or something is ready to go horribly wrong; yet, I've got a great team and everything seems to work out right. The show is also a ton of work; there's essentially 2 of us administrating the whole thing, I'm going to take both Friday and Monday off, I'll need the recovery time, because it's non-stop pressure until it's all packed up and the truck is headed back to where it's stored.
I very rarely get to buy anything at these shows; I'm usually to busy doing something to wander around and check things out. Plus, I'm the president of the local coin club and the show's sponsor, so there's a lot of PR work involved. If our press packages work out, you might see me on TV in the news. A couple of years ago, the CBC actually ran a good article on us that really helped attendance out.
Though right now, it's more or less up to the Gods; we've done everything we can think of and are just watching the clock wind down.
Anyway, that's why I'm in a bit of a funk...and why I'll probably end up being pretty quiet over the next week, - no point in me dragging everyone else down.
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:01 PM

Stupid me, forgot to mention the Oldsmobile's at the Sweetherts and Orphans show last weekend: Mike Payton's '49 turtle back which is painted purple with white tuck/roll interior; 234 engine w/3 deuces; and Rick Winn's new/old '53 88 hard top with Dyna Flow T/M! The Old's hydra-matic plant burned in '53, so they used about 7000 Buick transmissions to have a car that moved and they could sell! Rick said it had no "punch" like an Oldsmobile. Very interesting. Really a nice car, 1st '53 I've seen in a very long time.

Last edited by Aron Nance; March 6th, 2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old March 6th, 2019, 06:20 AM

mawn'in

Still cold as a __________________

I love all fish, I jes finished off sum anchovies mixed with EVOO, minced onions, garlic, minced bell peppers, pasta and Parmesan cheese. About the only fish I won't eat is Tilapia

I'm pretty sure, I'm gonna wek til lunch on the day of my funeral

Mike, Sally getting a little old I'm gonna vote fer Jennifer Aniston

Have a great day Olds friends
Old March 6th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Still cold as a __________________
Indeed. This is seriously impeding my time playing pasture pool.
Old March 6th, 2019, 09:20 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nailheadcanuck
Not much happening in my little world, pretty boring actually.

Certainly not going to be trying to catch or torture fish; - they belong in the water. Can't stand fish of any type and am allergic to them, especially shellfish. Brings to mind an old German saying that translates to the following; "Fish and relatives begin to stink after three days." So you guys can keep 'em.

Mike, I can appreciate your sentiments about staying at your job; I'm kind of in the same boat. I was never cut out to be a chemical process operator, it took them 20 years to make me a good one. Now I'm training new ones, and having a blast. (Those who can't, teach...) My passion is history, I'd have made a good history prof, but the demand for one of those here in North America is next to nil. My career path would have probably ended up the same or worse, right now I make more than most history profs probably do. (The union is a great thing, even though I'm not in it anymore!) But, there are days and then there are days; having a few of those now, wondering why I'm still doing this...too bad I don't have the same kind of pension plan my father did, I'd be retired and on easy street by now if that were the case. Oh well...some of us are condemned to have to work until we're 65 as a result; those people who said 401Ks were a great idea had already made their money and got out when my idiot company bought into the idea. As a result, where they claimed it should have returned an average of 20% and tripled by now, it's averaged from a height of 11% and dropped down to a paltry 5% now and barely doubled. Bloody liars...And it was the usual story, idiot management spent all the pension money and booked it as revenue somewhere and then couldn't see how it could repay it out. Good thing is I won't need much, after 30 years of shift work I probably won't last too long after retirement anyway.

Weather supposedly is supposed to be getting warmer. Doesn't really feel like it, and it can't warm up soon enough.

Still gearing up for the big coin show this weekend...maybe that's why I'm in a bit of a funk.

Have a good night!
youre still at it because,like you said youre good at it.[img=left]https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

Old March 6th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Trying day at work. The guy I share my desk with made a couple mistakes yesterday, which is no big deal we all do them, but he about had a stroke. It probably took him two hours to fix what should have taken 5 minutes. He had to go check and recheck all his sources. He had to ask everyone the exact same question, and when the answers differed he couldn't get past it. He did sign off pretty much all the wheels today so I had a free day to do nothing. Not necessarily a good thing, I still had to put covers on and roll them out. Sheesh. If he's still on this kick tomorrow I'm going to banish him to another desk.

Sunny and cold today. At least there isn't any wind. Still think I'll stay in. Why go out in the cold if I don't have to.

You're not going to believe this, but I got my passport in the mail today. It took them less than a week. I sent it on Feb 26 and they got it on the 28th, and they processed it and mailed it back and I got it today. They used their own envelope and sent me back the one I sent them, which they requested if I wanted express return mail. Hm. I wonder if I can take it back to the Post Office and get my money back. That's 25 bucks.

I don't know, Jamesbo, Sally Field is still a cut above Jennifer Anniston. JA is just too flakey to be that attractive. Well, I still wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers...

Hey Aron does your friend's car have the Dynaflow script on the rear fender?

Marc your coin show sounds like car shows and church. Any committee really, a few do all the work.

I suppose I should really start getting things together. I always planned on still going, but wasn't in a big hurry just in case. I'm glad I hadn't said anything to my friends over there yet. Now I really need to get it in gear.

Well have a good afternoon everyone.
Old March 6th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Afternoon Guys:
Aron, we really hated to miss Sweethearts & Orphans this year. It is one of my favorite shows. Glad you guys had a good time and at least we had a couple of nice Oldsmobiles there. I guess I will probably see Rick Winn's 53 in June. That was an interesting thing about the hydra-matic plant burning in 53. They used Dynaflows in Oldsmobile and Cadillacs and Powerglides in Pontiacs. The Dynaflow was a lot smoother than the Hydra-matic but did not have the performance. See you and Juju Sunday.
If you could put Sally Field and Jennifer Aniston side by side at the same age I would take Sally Field in a heartbeat. I am such a sucker for big brown eyes. My wife is proof of that.
It is a beautiful day here today with the temps being in the mid 50's. The sun is shining. Probably going to run a couple errands this afternoon. That is about all I have at the moment.
Glenn
Old March 6th, 2019, 02:22 PM

Hi Guys, found a Ford truck on ebay about 400 miles away I thought I wanted, so I bid on it. Then I sent the ebay # to a friend for him to look at it. He called me and said "Are you sure that truck is a 4x4?". Well sure enough it wasn't. I thought I was using ebay's feature to zero in on specific vehicles (4x4 only), but apparently I wasn't. So I went to retract my bid and couldn't because it was less than 12 hours from the closing of the auction. I called the seller (a dealer in Indiana) but no answer so I left a message. But now another bidder has outbid me... Whew.... Well I found another truck here in Michigan that is a one owner. I'm going to look at that one tomorrow, we'll see...
It's still snowy here. I am going for a night time snowmobile ride tonight, I've went almost 1200 miles this year, but I am ready for spring to come. Propane bills are killer!! I'm ready to take a ride in the convertible! Boy when the weather is like this for so long it doesn't seem possible that in the summer you walk right outside in your shorts,t shirt, and tennys! I'm ready for that. Take care all.
Old March 6th, 2019, 07:12 PM
Oh no, not again...

Greg, what kind of old Ford truck? I've owned about half a dozen of them over the years, all mid-seventies vintage stuff that rusted away before the powertrains gave out. I miss my last one, an extended cab 76 Ranger F-150 with a 360 and a 4 speed. It was a great truck, and it too dissolved to the point where the body was being held on by a prayer. It burned 7 gallons an hour, loaded or empty, - a great truck. For me a 4X4 is a waste of time, I've never owned one, and I've put that 2 wheel drive Ford anywhere a 4X4 could go. (well, almost!)
I understand how you feel about the weather, it's still around 0 F here, and looks to be that way until the weekend at least. (They said the same thing last week too, liars!)

Mike, sounds like your deskmate is angling to get himself into trouble. Get him reassigned, otherwise you'll have trouble!

Sally Field? Well, yeah, she was cute once when things were shot in black and white. Jenn Aniston? she's pushing 50 and still is hot. And now my "old creep" heart is crushed because J-Law is off the market...

oldolds88, yeah, I guess I am good at it...I sometimes wish I wasn't...

Glenn, yes, the Dynaflow is a lot smoother; it essentially only uses one gear, the torque converter does all the work. So starting off the line can be a bit slow if your engine doesn't have much low end torque. That's one advantage of a Buick engine, it has a lot of torque, and the torque curve gets going at a low RPM and maxes out at around 2500 or so RPM. So it's ideally suited for the Dynaflow. I checked the stats on a 53 Olds with a Dynaflow and one with the Hydramatic, and there was only something like .5 of a second difference on the 0-60 times. The Dynaflow was actually marginally faster. The earlier Dynaflows like that in the 53 was slower than the later ones, the 55 and newer ones had a 2 element or twin turbine Dynaflow, which spooled up faster and was more elastic. I had one in a 60 Invicta that was more or less half cooked so I'd have to start in "low" and then switch to "drive" at 40 mph or so. I won a lot of races with that car. Now the last time I drove a 53 Olds I was impressed by the Hydramatic; the car actually was pretty quick; it was impressive. I was looking forward to tricking out the engine a bit and seeing what could be accomplished, but, alas...anyway, if you ever get the chance, take a pre 1963 Buick out for a drive, it's an interesting experience. It probably won't impress you Olds guys too much until you look at the speedometer; the cars are very quiet and will pull like an ox, it'll seem like it's hanging at 2000 RPM forever until you notice the speedo is buried. No roaring upshifts or downshifts, or jerks as it switches ranges, just a hard steady pull. The Dynaflow also doesn't have a passing gear; you don't need one, just step on the gas and the car goes to 2300 RPM and zooms past the lineup. You get a direct foot-to-engine feel with it, it's kind of neat.

Anyway, I've prattled on enough...have a good evening!
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:02 AM

Marc, it's a 2005 F150, just to use as a beater/work truck. Though it's a King Ranch which is a pretty fancy one with heated leather seats and a console/floor shift. I don't care about that stuff but it seems to me the fancier/more expensive vehicles get taken better care of than the cheaper work trucks. This one is a one owner and I like that. He wants 5500 which is about 3-4000 cheaper than they're asking at the lots. We'll see what happens, going to look at it today. My buddy has a 63 Riviera with a Dynaflow and I thought something was wrong with it when I first drove it. As you said it starts out in high gear if left in "D" and will downshift into low if you pull it into low manually. A little different but OK. The 63-65 Riviera was one of the best looking cars ever in my book, maybe 2nd only to the 63 split window Vette.
Went for the night ride last night, did about 57 miles.
Lots of commotion last night about 3-6 am, fire trucks were at the water supply gismo and filling up w water and coming around the lake and going down our road repeatedly. I'm guessing there was a fire down the road. I'll take a ride down there and check it out later. Take care all.
Old March 7th, 2019, 06:48 AM

mawn'in

Still chili but clear

Headed to the big city to take sum food to an elderly friends

IMHO, Sally is "Cute' but Jennifer is 'Hot"

Old March 7th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Sunny and beautiful out. Shed the jacket and drove with the windows down. It's about time.

Pizza was a success today. One of the robots broke and we were at half production, and still took an hour and a half for lunch. The lead went and got it and we ate in the shop. Very relaxing. And, when we got cranked back up we still finished on time.

So the robot, which is an arm that goes to the wheel and torques the tie bolts, started malfunctioning. It would only tighten half the nuts. It needs some part coming from the other side of the world and its ETA is the 17th. So we're starting at 4 every day until the robot is fixed. Where's the luck. I get 2 hours tomorrow, but won't be there next week. The overtime has been scant lately, I hate to miss out.

Jamesbo hope the city treated you right. Along the lines of my precious Sally Field are Barbara Eden, Dolly, Linda Carter...

Greg good luck with the truck. I think the heated seats are worth the price of admission right there.

Marc that guy isn't a trouble maker, he's a nervous nelly. He big deals everything! He's been a thorn in the shop's side for years. I worked with this guy years ago and he was a slickboy. Now he can barely function. I swear he's had a stroke. The lead knows what I'm up against.

Oh and Catharine Bach. She's packed on a few over the years but she is still tops with me.

I think I'll fix the dog his supper and then go find something to do outside. Won't be much, but I want to be out and enjoy this nice day for a little bit.
Old March 7th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

One more Friday game and one more Wednesday game, then on to the Veterans Bonspiel.

Looks like I'm making beef jerky this weekend. Thank you Cabelas and Sobeys.

Jouni - You were spot on. Wednesday team sucks. Mostly Jerome who skips and can't make shots. How's that for throwing him under the bus?

Greg - Good luck with the King Ranch. That's a pricey truck. Hopefully it's been maintained and doesn't have a zillion miles on it. My cousin buys them every 3=4 years but he's a farmer and gets a good deal from the local dealer.

Marc - The weekend looms. Got more heebie jeebies? Good luck with the event. Ready for the snow tonight?? dammit.

Jim - She does have nice hooters.
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:02 PM
Oh no, not again...

Allan, yes, the heebie jeebies are there, so much so I screwed up while teaching a class today. Nothing went right, looked like an unprepared idiot. At least I was able to self-depreciate myself with a little humour and salvage things somewhat. If you're going to be incompetent at least acknowledge it with a bit of humour and sarcasm, tends to deflect the pain somewhat and shows that for the most part, you still have your wits about you and that you're not actually an idiot, just unfortunate. Still got rave reviews on the feedback forms.
So a weekend of curling awaits? Have a beer for me, or two, no, make it three...
I am so not looking forward to more $%#^*&!! snow. It's the last thing I need.

Greg, I've been looking at the idea of one of those newer Fords, but know next to nothing about them. I've heard they have issues with spark plugs welding themselves into the heads and that the transmissions are crap. They're cheaper than comparable GM products, don't know why.

Mike, Hope you didn't miss one of those wheels......the prospect of seeing one bouncing happily down a runway would be a little disconcerting, - particularly to anyone sitting in the plane. Had it happen once on a car...watched as one of the rear wheels passed us and went bouncing into a ditch...couple of pairs of shorts followed it soon afterwards.

Well, that's it for me...I'll probably sign on again on Monday. Have a good weekend!
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Nailheadcanuck
If you're going to be incompetent at least acknowledge it with a bit of humour and sarcasm.
It sounds like you've been watching the rebuttal testimony of Gerry Butts and the SNC Lavalin fiasco.Nothing about that whole sordid mess gives me any confidence in Canadian leadership. You'll do just fine at the Con show (see what I did there?). I think you're the kind of guy who knows how to land on his feet without hurting his back....

A beer or 2 or 3?? Who do you think I am - Jouni?
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:06 AM

mawn'in

Cool but rain heaed this way

Since the Super model has brown eyes, I thought I'd share a pretty set

Kinda a bovine Natalie Wood don't cha think?
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:29 AM
golden rocket

Jamesbo, that's a Jersey cow. probably one of the best milking, if not the best, due to high butter fat content in the product. Butter fat is what makes the moolah for the dairymen/women. Dad had a couple along with some Holsteins (black and white cows) and always made more off the Jerseys. BTW if you get a chance to buy beef on the side, go for black angus, angus, or chrolais, real good marbeling, and tender, compared to some other breeds.
manually milking twice a day (4AM and 4PM) makes for a long day when you is 12.

Y'all have a good weekend, regardless of the weather.

mike
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning it is....dammit anyway. Like a snowman on a flat rock here. An all day event from the sounds of the weather peeps. Yay for us... Should make the commute to the Saville fun. Apparently they have a B ball tourney also scheduled for this morning and parking will be at a premium. How dumb. No one but seniors actually do sports in the morning; we should all have reserved stalls.

Marc - I feel your pain my friend. Just what we don't need or want. I thought this long winter of discomfort was over, but nooooooo....This might also affect the attendance at the show?

Jim - y'all lives dangerously. Do ya tell her she has the eyes dat remind cha of a bovine?? I think her sister Lana has nicer brown peepers.

Old March 8th, 2019, 06:40 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
The weather here has improved considerably. It was sunshine and 75 degrees here yesterday. It is supposed to be about the same today but cloudy. I put a leather steering wheel cover on the 54 yesterday. It was from a company called Wheelskins. I got the lead from Olds64 on here and ordered it. I received it about 2 days later. The wheel had three cracks on it and I hated that skinny wheel on longer trips. The color was really a good match and it looks really nice. It took over and hour to get it laced up. I think I am going to get the old gal up on the jackstands today and fix my oil leak. I am replacing the oil filter adapter with one from a 394 that takes a spin on filter. I have an adapter on the old one that changes it to a spin on but that is what is leaking. It is one of those nasty jobs I hate but I need to get it done. This will be the first time I have used my new jack and Bone creeper. At least I can get the car up high enough that my belly don't rub on the frame. Yes guys, I will be very careful and place the 6 ton jack stand solidly under the car.
Jim, you mention Natalie Wood and get my attention. I think she was one of the two most beautiful women ever in Hollywood. The other one would be Marilyn.
That's all I have this morning.
Glenn
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:49 AM

Hi Guys, Well I bought the truck I went to look at yesterday. Its a 2005 F150 King Ranch. Really loaded w/sun roof and leather interior, way more truck than I need but it should last me a good while. Rust is the worst thing, It still looks good but will deteriorate with time. Bad things are : he smoked in it (not real bad but you can tell), the check engine light is on (he said needs a o2 sensor, we'll see), starting of a crack in windshield, and some other small stuff. It drives excellent. Here's a poor pic of it out the front door- wow it's cold out!
Take care guys.
Old March 8th, 2019, 07:51 AM

I used to have black baldies.

The Jersey cows a sweet but the bulls are as as mean as a gut shot grizzly

Greg, Nice truck, ya need to take it out in the woods and beat it up sum so people actually think ya werk,

Jes completed the total extent of my watch repair werk. Put on a new band, Only took 30 minutes
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Glenn, I think there's "Classic beauty" and 'Inexpensive hot"

As far as classic

, this one's hard to beat
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Greg, that King Ranch is a nice truck with a great interior. Too bad he smoked in it because that leather they use smells awesome. Are you familiar with the actual King Ranch? Here is a link to it. It covers 825,000 acres and is bigger than the state of Rhode Island. Here is a link: https://king-ranch.com/
Jim, I don't think women have the glamor today they had back then. I believe that is Grace Kelly isn't it. I was young but I remember all the hoopla when she married the Prince of Monaco. Catherine Deneuve is another one of those classy women.
[img=left]https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.Lad9-dlZziyc1tcDkA4QjwHaLC&w=189&h=282&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.56 24999&pid=1.7[/img]
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Started work at 4, got off at 11. Can't beat that. The new part for the robot is coming from Germany. I think the shop will be starting at 4 all next week.

Greg that's a nice looking truck. Nothing wrong with a comfortable interior. I hope you have good luck with it. By the way, my Ford truck needs an O2 sensor as well. My Ford truck with a car's engine.

Glenn that's some ranch. I hope it stays that way forever. I might be out your way after I get back from my trip. I'd like to go this weekend to look at a car(actually to buy it) but I think I have too much to do. Guy's had this car for sale a good couple weeks, I don't know why someone has jumped on it. It's a V8 Corvair project that runs and drives. I already know the guy is a bit gruff, maybe that's the reason.

Jamesbo a guy came into Awful house when I was there just now that looked just like you. He had bushier hair. I thought maybe you had come down to surprise me. Throw that cow in the water and see if it floats.

I agree, not very many women these days have class, or grace. I may have said this before, I miss when women, and men as well, dressed up to go places. Didn't matter where you were going, Walmart, the grocery store, put gas in the car, you dressed up because you were going out. People always looked their best and you don't see that anymore. Both my grandmothers were like that. No matter where we were going, they always had lipstick and these big giant clip on earrings.

Hope Marc has a good show and doesn't get all wacked from it.

Guess I'll waste a little more time looking at the internet then go get something done. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Always room for one more

This is for Marc and his lost wheel.

United had a 737 lose a main wheel on takeoff one time at O'Hare. As the plane rotated the wheel came off and continued down the runway at about 200mph, went through the fence, bounced over Bessie Coleman Drive, and landed on top of National Rent-A-Car's Buick Century. We never did hear why the wheel departed but the Buick made the news. What a sight.

Last edited by slantflat; March 8th, 2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Always room for one more

Gee, here's another one for Marc. If this car wasn't 9500 bucks I'd buy it.

Last edited by slantflat; March 8th, 2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Gee, here's another one for Marc. If this car wasn't 9500 bucks I'd buy it.

My father owned a couple of those Deuce And A Quarters.
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
This ^^^ breed ^^^ produces good milkers.
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Well I fixed my oil leak today. I was dreading this and had put it off for too long. I put a tee in the top where the 1/8th inch line connects going to the oil pressure gauge. I added a pressure switch with two wires on it to connect to my electric fuel pump so it will not run if there is no oil pressure. I haven't hooked it up yet but did run the wires up out of the way. The only issue I had was dropping the small ferral that goes on the 1/8" line. I never did find it and had to rob one out of a pressure gauge hookup kit I had. I am really glad that nasty job is done. I don't enjoy that part of owning an old car. My new jack did a good job of getting car up high enough where my belly did not rub the frame. My new Bone creeper was great but getting on and off that thing about 20 times is a lot harder than it used to be. My extra weight doesn't help.
Mike, that is a beautiful Buick. A few year ago it would not have much appeal to me but I guess as I have gotten old my taste have changed some. $9,500 is probably not a bad price.
That is it for the night guys. I am headed to bed.
Glenn
Old March 9th, 2019, 05:00 AM

Glenn, I looked at that link- WOW what a place. I wish we had seen it when we went thru Texas. Yeah, I too find it a lot harder to get up and down, on and off a creeper. It's probably good exercise though- using different muscles than usual.
Well I went down the road early Thursday morning and found a neighbor's house had burnt down- a complete loss. They are a really nice older couple in their 80's. We don't know them very well, but they are really good people. They have a special needs daughter who is in her 50's but has the mentality of a 10 yr old. She lives with them. One of their other sons is in bad shape with a serious medical issue and they were away helping tend to him when the fire occurred. That was a good thing that no one was there. They were gone for a couple days before the fire. I heard the neighbor was watching the place, he saw the fire and called 911. So we don't know what the cause was. Such a shame, Can you imagine? Taking care of your sick son and then getting the news that your house burnt down? I hope they had good insurance. They were not rich people.
Well went for another ride last night with 6 other guys, What a blast! Dark with headlights on going thru the trails, Feel's like being a race car driver! Going later today also.
Went to the SOS yesterday (DMV),spent 418.00 for tax, registration, and plate for the truck and a quad I bought. Geez.....
Well, it's Saturday at 8 am and some one is augering a hole in the ice to ice fish. Sounds like a chain saw. I like it actually, it's nice to see people enjoying themselves.
Have a good day all
Old March 9th, 2019, 06:51 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It seems like a really long time since I was able to sleep in. All of 730. I need to send a memo to the squirrels to be quieter on the weekends.

Greg what a shame about your neighbors. Four Eighteen doesn't sound too bad for a later model truck. Since you bought it from a private person did you have to pay sales tax to the state? You should drive to the ranch and take a picture at the front gate.

Glenn I'm glad that job is done for you. I don't wrench on cars very much anymore, I don't have a good place. Odd, that's why I bought my shop, nice concrete floor, (sort of) a roof, out of the way, but alas the place is stacked up with crap. Maybe I should go over there today and see if there's anything I can get rid of.

I'm well on my way to being ready for my trip. Need to run a couple errands and pick up a few things, then see if I can cram it all into my suitcase. I could get a bigger suitcase, but then I'd have to haul it around with me. Never fails, I always arrive at a gate on one end of the airport, and have to depart on the other end. Eh, I do this once a year only.

Okay gotta get moving. Awful house was quiet today, not a bad thing. Have a good day everyone.
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:43 AM

Yesterday a beautiful sunshiny day, today the same (after hail/high winds/heavy rain this morning). Friday went out and started the Silver Bullet in the garage just to circulate things, jumped on my garden mower and mowed my neighbors and my yards, and then realized left SB running! D-U-M without the B!!!!!! Running fine, but ran out of gas. Put gas in from gas can, and now won't start!@!!! Water????? So handicapped to work on the car...…..
Old March 9th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Everybody:
Aron has covered our weather here this morning. Too bad we didn't have this weather last weekend for the Sweethearts & Orphans show. Aron, if the SB still has points in it there is a good chance you burned the points up by leaving the ignition on. That is if you still have points and not an HEI ignition. See you tomorrow.
Mike it sounds like it is time to clean out. I would probably be in the same shape if I had a place like you have. I only have a wide 2 car garage and it is a side swing on the front of the house since we back up to the lake.
We are leaving Monday morning for a spring break trip with the daughter and grandsons. We will drive to Baton Rouge and see the state capital on Tuesday morning and then on to New Orleans for three days and then Thursday night in Natchotoches which is the oldest city in the Louisiana Purchase. I think it will be a fun trip. The highlight for me will be seeing the WWII Museum in New Orleans. That will probably be an entire day for me while the family is doing some other things.
That is about it for now. Got some things to do around here before we leave.
Glenn
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well, I just finished cutting up the biff and putting the cure/seasoning on it. 9lbs takes a while to prepare. I'll let it marinate until Monday and then I'll fire up the dehydrator and this place will smell like the inside of a teepee.

Yesterday was a morning from hell. It snowed here about 4" by the time I was ready to head out for curling. By the time I got back there was another 3+" so I busted out the snowblower and cleaned everything up. I had to got out later to get it done once again so I did the entire walk down to the community mailbox. None of the people down there take any responsibility for cleaning anything. Hopefully everything will start melting next week. So glad the 'Friday league is done. My team has not been performing pretty much all season so I think I might have to make some changes. Also looking at curling at a facility that's not 45 min highway driving away.

Greg - Nice truck. Hope the CEL is only something as simple as the O2 sensor. IIRC those units have 2 - one upstream and one downstream. Plug in your OBDII and find out what the fault code is. It might even be something as simple as a misfire which is often corrected by new plugs. Looks like a nice truck. I don't care for smoked in vehicles. I bought a 78 Caddy Coupe de Ville once that the PO had smoked in. Even with a good detailing it still had that 'odor'. You having it detailed inside?

Glenn - I only wish I had weather like yours to work on my 72.

Marc - Hope you have a really good Numismaticl event! If I have to go out and get my ears lowered I might show up but right now the roads aren't great and there are road warriors with 4x4's and AWD SUVs that think they're invincible....

Mike - Safe travels. Somehow I don't think you'll be cleaning out your shop anytime soon. You might have to build a new addition onto it to store everything you drag home.
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:04 AM

Norm, LOL! Getting annoyed with the U.S. mint, as I ordered some coins form them last weekend. I got an email from them stating that they shipped on Monday the 4th, so I wondered why I didn't have them yet. I checked the tracking # and they are not supposed to be here until the 15th! How in the hell does it take two weeks for anything shipped in the U.S. to arrive at it's destination? I fired off an email to them, letting them know that it will affect my decision to purchase any coins from them in the future.
Old March 9th, 2019, 04:02 PM

A new bbq joint opened up recently, so I decided to give it a try. Three pulled pork sliders with mango salsa and "wing things", which is a mild pulled chicken bbq with blue cheese dressing and celery. It was pretty good. A local surgeon opened it after encouragement from friends and family. It's called Dr. Rolfs BBQ. He put a neon sign outside. nice little joint. Parking in that area of our downtown sucks, had to park about 2 blocks away. Not what I wanted to do for take out.
Old March 9th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Running On Empty

Those sliders look delicious.....and, a very well constructed and informative website I might add.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 9th, 2019 at 04:16 PM.