The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2019, 05:48 AM
Some call me, Tim

Man, what a weekend of winds here in Columbus. Saw some 40+ mph winds locally that made a mess of things. Clear skies out there this morning though. Ready for some warmer temps here.
Old February 25th, 2019, 06:28 AM

Good day all.

Been windy as hell. But it shows +6 outside, and promises such readings for whole week Seems like in 2-3 weeks my work could start? Yes, please!
Today i installed my hitch, fit perfect. And you really wont even see it farther away. Not much else. Soon ill heat sauna, and then its just spending time until i can go to sleep.

Jamesbo - How did you elbow fare?

Allan R - How many games left on the season? Did you hear we have +6?

Nailheadcanuck - Nice to hear you got the clock fixed. Still working? Hah, that line about people trying to pass you on uphill bringed some good memories from far far away, from my youth ( ~15 years back ). Our family has always travelled europe at summer with car and camper. We were 6 on the trip, so we needed equally sized camper to even sleep us all.
Well, that 15 years back in southern europe cars were pretty Small engine-wise, and we happened to have Volvo 940 with 2.3 turbo and 1.5bar boost. Its not that much even, maybe ~230hp realistically, but it was Still enough to actually pass people on long mountain roads, where their overloaded Fiat 600's and comparable just fell to their nose. I always remember their faces when passing with a camper behind Good times!

I quess that pretty much sums my day. So, have a good new week guys.
Old February 25th, 2019, 06:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

I was so tired last night I fell asleep during the 6th end of the Scotties. Rachel Homan was up 5-2 at that point and it seemed like a slam dunk as the Carey rink wasn't playing worth a tinkers damn. Who woulda thunk it? Carey comes back from a deficit with some amazing draws to steal points and win the Scotties?? Good for them. Some truly good curling. Doesn't mean I like Carey though, I like the rest of her team but not her.

Tis the usual -30 here this morning so no going out to whack whitey. Windchill is -37 so I doubt I want to go out today. It will be day 2 and hopefully the last day working on the baffroom.

Jouni - 5 games left. You're so cruel... Here's hoping you get another dump of snow.

Mike - No, I don't take short cuts painting and just hate having only part of the job done behind the tank. Someone will always see it. I know there are mini rollers to get behind there but I needed the toilet removed so I could get the ladder in to reach the ceiling and cut in the paint. I already have a new floor in there so no I don't need to put a new one down. I pulled all the trim in the bathroom and refinished it (oak) so all I have to do is use my brad nailer to put it back. Less than 5 minutes. ezpz

Dan - Good to hear you're still alive and doing well. That's an interesting recipe for wings; I've never heard of that before. What tasted better? The wings or Guiness?

The MIL passed last Friday so the funeral is this Friday. She was 97. Old and nasty. What else can I say? We weren't close so it's not a big deal for me. The FIL passed about 10 years ago and I really liked him; he would do anything for anyone and always was cheerful about it. He wasn't the brightest bulb in the room but he had a heart of gold and I still remember him fondly.
Old February 25th, 2019, 08:57 AM

What tasted better? The wings or Guinness?
Burp! What was the question? I'm taking the rest of the wings to work today. The Guinness has to stay home. Well at one point the state had 100,000 without power, and they closed the Mackinaw bridge due to falling ice. A chunk went through the windsheild of an suv. Good thing there was no passenger, or they would be dead.
Old February 25th, 2019, 12:18 PM

Shait… Got a letter of my life...

Soo, they decided to change fresh- and wastewater pipes on our street this summer. Also they make it mandatory to join in 3 years to separate wastewater-system for rainwater from roofs…. Like ¤#&¤#& And if you dont join in 3 years, its 1,5 times wastewater payment. Which in 3 years will change many times, im sure, until it hits. Who knows whats it after that 3 years in reality? Second, we have so much trees and unbuild-terrain on our yard, that zero driplet of water ever reaches the road. You can quess im pissed.
So, now comes the point - if you replace your house fresh- and wastewater pipes same time, city wont collect the 4400$ fee for opening their mainline. So it should really be done now, due to no fee, and also if city pipes are in need of replacement, so is ours as theyre as old. We calculated and rough estimate for new fresh- and wastewater + separate rainwater pipe runs around 16500$.
And as added bonus, when they replace the mainline, they for sure raise the pressure on mainline. Which in turn dont make good for our house waterpipes. They are in need of replacing soon anyways, but that makes it mandatory to do same time to prevent them cracking. And that adds roughly another 11000$.
So in total im looking around 25-30000$ bill in front of me, and i need to get this money this summer. Yea, i can take a loan for this, but a tad too much for same time for my tastes. No need to dream of own garage now, either. &¤#/&¤##(/¤&#¤#/#&(Q)"/¤(()"
Old February 25th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out and on its way to 60* . I keep hearing rain for the rest of the week but when I see it on the internet it's showing sunny. Guess which one I vote for. Got a couple of phone calls to make then I plan on heading to the shop.

Allan I don't normally take short cuts when painting, either, but I hate taking up the toilet so bad I paint around it. I do pretty good getting back in behind so you can't see it. Besides, if people are looking that hard they have serious problems. Ten foot ceilings? That would be awesome to have, not to paint.

Here's my take on NAPA parts. A couple years ago I needed a distributor for the blue van. I thought, NAPA has the best electrical parts, I'll go there. Premium distributor with module was 80 some dollars. It was bad. I went back and said I wanted my money back. Nope, no return on electrical parts. I said I didn't want to play this game all weekend, getting bad parts. Sorry. So I got the second distributor and installed it, went to Autozone and got a module to keep in the car for when the one on the new distributor went bad. Lady says, you want the whole distributor? It's only 60 bucks and comes with a cap and rotor. She brought it out, exact part as NAPA. Same manufacturer, same part number, same everything except Autozone would have paid me 20 to take the cap and rotor. Sheesh. Used to be you couldn't beat NAPA, now most of them are the same caliber as anyone else.

Well plenty to do. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Old February 25th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Inline
Jamesbo - How did you elbow fare?.
Much better than your new water pipe bill, Geeze Louise

BTW, I'm on well water even though it is now running along the front of the house on the street
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:37 PM
Always room for one more

Well I wouldn't say I hate technology but it doesn't always do me any favors. I was looking at the internet this evening and it all of a sudden quit. Got a message, not connected. Tried a couple things then called tech support. Over 30 minutes later she couldn't figure it out, sent me to the local store with my jetpack. He said, I don't know why you're here, everything is working. I got back home, nada. So I started with the random buttons and something came up that asked for a number, I gave it a random number that the jetpack spit out, and it started working. WTF.

Went to the shop and the car I wanted to move was dead. Which is fine because it also had a flat and I didn't have any air. So I didn't stay there long. Beautiful this afternoon. I hope it keeps up. It's a little chilly tonight but I'm in for the evening, in fact I'm hitting the sack. Hope everyone has a good night.
Old February 26th, 2019, 04:41 AM

mawn'in

Another brake in the rain, so going to replace our sign post

Tim, I almost bought a duplicate of your car to match my 69 trophy blue drop top. Unfortunately sum moron had tried to carry a fence post in the truck and bent the rear shell where the trunk lid sits

Jouni, dig [drill] a well

Y'all do know that wings are probably the worst food ya can eat. Pure chicken skins

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

My baffroom project is finished and it turned out really well. Those 10' ceilings were a beach to reach and cut in especially since I have height stability issues. After the cut ins, I opened a brand new roller package and started on a lower wall. WTF?? Roller lint everywhere!!! I had to make a trip to Lowes to buy new rollers and then wait for the paint to dry so I could sand it down and get rid of the lint that was stuck in the paint. The new roller worked flawlessly and gave a nice even coat and finish. The room is a lot brighter with dove gray paint so I'll have to tone down the lighting to something less bright than the 4 100 watt LED's that were in there. I was bushed after working on that room all day. Reinstalling the terlot was actually very easy and after the water connections were made and no leaks seen I did a test flush to make sure the new wax seal was also doing it's job right. Happy camper now that it's done.

Jouni - That's quite a bill you're getting. I wouldn't like it either. Oh, you'll like this - on our water bill, we get charged for the square footage of the yard and roof run off even in the winter. Why? Because it's a healthy money grab for the city. Our water lines are good for quite awhile and they're all high pressure so I don't see any bills coming our way for a long time (knock on wood).-24 here today. I'll take that over a $25K water project bill.

Mike - Internet is fickle. When ours goes south it's usually the modem that needs a reboot. Honestly I'd love nothing better than to boot that sucker as hard as I can but that's another topic. Our SP charges a lot for the services unless there's a fixed term contract. And when there's a need for service call they do take their own sweet time about getting a tech out. Most of their service techs are simply farmed out to Joe Wannabees with a car or van with a roof ladder to make everything look official. No company logos or anything. Some of those guys look like they belong in prison when they show up at the door. 90% of them are imported and also smell bad.

Dan - I don't do cheekin wings exactly for the reason Jim said. I can do home made cheekin drums that are skinless. All the Cheekin we eat is usually boneless / skinless. I can hardly wait till it's warm enough to fire the grill up and throw a steak or some poke on it.

Got a curling practice today at 1:00 with Carl. It's been a real advantage being on the ice setting up and making shots we know will happen the next day. Carl is getting much better at controlling his out turn and board weight shots. I think we need to work a bit on his guard and draw weight though. I want to practice my out turn and in turn control and normal weight shots. I need to figure out the exact ice I need to make them. So far it's been close but not quite there. Hahaha, spoda warm up to only -13 today.
Old February 26th, 2019, 07:46 AM

And good afternoon folks.

Off from garage. Now i dont have anything to do there until i get new parts. Kinda good thing. Been +4 today. Felt pretty cold
Not much else. Just figuring out what to do with the water-pipe thingy…
Some good news is, that i got special permit to be free of joining to rain-water pipe. That solves many problems. But it Still leaves hefty bill for replacing other pipes…..
Money-wise that special permit was worth like only 2-3000$, but it frees me from one major hassle and problem.

Allan R - That sounds ridiculous. The rain is Still coming from the sky…. Just wait until they start to charge for breathing air per persons on your family….

Jamesbo - Funny story.. We have a well on yard. When our great city build their fresh-and wastewaterlines on 60's, they forced everyone on the path to join it- and to prevent people using their own Wells... - Yup, THEY filled them all with rocks. And they are forbidden to be built on area where city pipelines run, only option is to join on them. Business is business.....

Okay, have a day all.
Old February 26th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Making some hash for lunch today. I had a ring of Kohbasa that needed using to it's in the mix with the taters and onjuns. I made plenty so my sons hollow leg can get filled up before he heads off to work. Add the red peppers just before it's served to add some color.

Forgot to plug in the Sonata, so I just did that. It should help a bit even if it's only for an hour and a half. Weird that the temperature dropped to -29 now. Musta pissed off the weather Gods.

Jouni - I know. And you should see all the administration and rider fees that get tacked on. We use about $10.00 worth of water. The bill ends up close to $65. Someone's getting rich off this scheme. And now the city says they have a 140 meelyun budget they want to spend on building homes for the homeless. They're asking the gubment to kick in about a beelyun to make it work. I can think of better uses for the money. I don't pay taxes to feed, clothe and home the homeless. I did make a nice donation yesterday to the Wounded Warrior fund to help military vets with PTSD. I always make a point of thanking the military for their service. This was a small token of appreciation for the job they do.
Old February 26th, 2019, 09:45 AM

AHEM! I know that chickens wings ain't too healthy, but, I like them and only eat them a couple of times a year. Went to the Orthopaedic place today. Number L5 disc looks like ****, really compressed and bulging, but they don't think that it is the problem, but rather L4, as it appears the nerve is getting cramped a bit at the facet. Gonna try gabapentin for 30 days to see if it helps. It is supposed to dull the nerves a bit thus reducing the pain signal. Also getting a topical cream from the pharmacist. Can't remember what it's called. Oh, and more snow, what else. Spring is just around the corner, or so they say.

Last edited by 1969w3155; February 26th, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old February 26th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, Gabapentin is really good for nerve pain. I have peripheral neuropathy in my toes and it burns like a fire. I started using Gabpentin last year in small doses and it didn't do squat. When I increased the dose to 600 mg 3x a day that seems to be the magic number to control the pain. Good luck with your treatment and I hope there's something short of surgery that can help you with that disc. Maybe hanging upside down for awhile? Don't laugh - it's a recognized treatment to stretch out the spine.
Old February 26th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Painfully slow day today. I wanted to start the day signing but the guy I share a desk with snuck in and screwed that plan up. He is slow, dim-witted, and OCD. Had a guy rolling the wheels out so I sat and did nothing all morning. I took tomorrow off to go to the doctor so at least I have a reprieve.

Beautiful out. Not sunny, but bright enough, and warm. Good day to wash the car, if one were to have a garden hose. Maybe I'll borrow one from next door.

Dan I've seen those inversion tables. Looks like a lot of fun. Are they talking about surgery at all?

Okay gonna go do something.
Old February 26th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:
I missed yesterday. Let me see if I can catch up.
Mike, I actually remember when Delta had the old crop dusters parked at Selman Field (the airport) in the 60's. I think they were no longer flying but still had Delta painted on them. The Biedenharn family in Monroe was one of the original shareholders of Delta. Joseph was the first person to ever bottle Coca Cola and it was in Vicksburg, Mississippi. They were by far the wealthiest family in Monroe. The original home was later occupied by Emmie Lou Biedenharn who was a daughter of Joseph. She was an opera singer at one time and never married. The home is now a bible research center and museum. I can remember that all the Coca Cola truck has a Fly Delta's Big Jets bumper sticker on them. Delta held their shareholder meetings in the board room of Central Bank up to the late 90's. My wife had an uncle who actually worked for Delta and transferred to Atlanta for a short while and then moved back to Monroe because it was home and he and his wife did not like Atlanta. He passed away in 1956 at the age of 36 from leukemia.
Mark, I worked for a Buick dealer in Monroe, LA from 1964 to 1966 when I went in the USAF. Buick built a great car but I think it was on par with Oldsmobile. Pontiac was a step below. I love the old nailhead Buick. When the Gran Sport Skylark came out in 1965, the dealership got one and prepped it to run on the new dragstrip that had just opened in Monroe. It was balanced and blueprinted and had 4:88 gears in it with Hooker headers. It never could hang with a GTO due to the small valves. This was when there was a GM limit of 400 cubic inches on A body cars and Buick claimed the engines were bored on the underside. It was a fun car. My best Buick story was when I got to drive a 65 Riviera Gran Sport from Shreveport to Monroe which is 100 miles. I-20 was brand new. I never really opened it up because I was afraid of getting fired and going to jail. It did see 85 on a lot of the trip. The was a fine automobile and would really cruise.
Going to dinner locally with the friend that has the 27 Olds tonight. It is a local Asian restaurant. Will be a nice relaxing time. Better go and change my clothes and get ready. Take care guys.

Glenn
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Always room for one more

Finally sent off my application for a passport. I travel March 12. Hope I make it. Cost me a bunch in expedite fees, that's okay.

Glenn we did crop dusting until I think 1966, so those planes were probably still in service when you saw them. Malcolm Biedenharn is considered one of the four founders(I looked it up).

Beautiful evening. I'm hitting the sack, a little early for sleeping in but I'm tired. Here's wishing a good Hump Day to you all. Good night.
Old February 26th, 2019, 07:08 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike:

I found something on the internet about somebody from New York saying he owned 80,000 and wanted to change the location of the shareholder meeting. Malcom Biedenharn stood up and said he owned 580,000 share and wanted to welcome Delta back for the following year. I saw the article where he was one of the four original founders. Sorry I guess original founders is redundant.
Glenn
Old February 26th, 2019, 08:45 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good evening guys,

Been a bit busy not accomplishing anything worthwhile, but it was time consuming.

Jouni, what Allan doesn't say is that our esteemed and enlightened government has figured out a way to charge us for air, it's called a carbon tax. Technically, we're being charged for farting it full, not breathing, so it's a consumption tax. The more you do, the more you pay, as if that will fix the world. We also pay for run-off, sewering rain run off and basement sumps, and like Allan says, there are a number of hidden charges that take the $10 of water consumed and turn it into a minimum of $100 per month. Our power and gas bills are exactly the same way; there's no way I could burn the equivalent amount of gas that my total bill ends up being. This is how we justify employment in Canada; 10,000 people end up working in government or in some public utility and are supported by 2000 (and ever decreasing) people who actually generate money in private industry or small business. The funny guy with the orange skin and the wicked comb-over is actually right when he says Canada is not open for business, it's too busy fleecing anyone who has money in order to support those who add nothing to the economy.
I'll stop right there.

Allan, Good to hear your bathroom project is finished; I wouldn't have been able to hold it that long. And I agree; chicken wings are not food, but they are tasty if done right...it warmed up today, it was only -28 this morning, the last few had been -35. It's a veritable heatwave! The last time we saw this kind of a weather pattern was in 1979. It lasted for 3 years. Don't hear much about climate change no more...wonder why...maybe they all froze to death waitin'...can only hope...I am so not looking forward to this month's gas and power bills, it'll bankrupt me.

Mike, It's been hit and miss with Napa for me. And yes, I get a great discount because of the company I work for which helps blunt the pain. Sorry to hear that 'vert you were looking at didn't pan out; or that your car was flat and uncooperative yesterday. One of those days I guess. Sending off for a Passport now and going to get it before the 12th? Wow...that blows my mind. Here we can wait for 120 days. And it's called "efficiencies".

Glenn, - interesting story, I had no idea about Delta. Thanks for sharing that, and your Buick memories! I've been a bonafide Buick nut all of my life and only a recent convert to Oldsmobiles. We had 2 Oldsmobiles when I was growing up and they were both expensive dogs, so my dad thought they were cursed and never owned one again. The first one was a 62 Super 88 hardtop with a bad Slim-jim and a burned up set of bearings, and the next one was a 69 Toronado that had the CV joints fall out of it. I loved the cars, particularly the styling, but my dad never looked at another Olds again. I had much better luck with mine; I taught my (future) wife to build engines on a 64 Dynamic 88 394, and we had a 60 Super 88 that heated like a sun at -40 and ran like a top. We also bought an Alero brand-new in 2004, one of the last ones.

Dan, sorry to hear about your back. Mine has been 'holding", (knock on wood) I have a good idea how lousy you must feel. I hope that stuff gives you some relief. Inversion tables may work, don't get depressed if they don't do a thing for you. It sounds like any way you load your back up it's going to hurt.

Well, that's it for me, off to the sack...going to have to drink the corporate Kool-aid tomorrow, I have to run a new hire course. At least that's still happening, we're still hiring people, even if they are all directors. We're still chronically short of operators, but these new directors won't approve the budget to hire them. I guess the product just makes itself by itself. Here again, I'll stop right there.
Old February 26th, 2019, 09:52 PM

Allan, they are starting me on at 100 mg and may increase it if it is not effective. I go back in 30 days for a follow up. They want me to wait until the weekend to start using it, due the side effects, mainly sleepiness, and want me to wait until bedtime and continue to use it even though there may be other side effects ( I don't have the rap sheet yet, so I'm not sure what it will entail), saying that the effects will lessen over time. I have thought about an inversion table, just don't know yet. When my doctor set up the appointment, it was for physical therapy with pain management. Somehow the P.T. was lost along the way. No mention of surgery by the specialist that I saw today. My Dr. was already running the surgery options by me, if it comes to that. My dad had a mix of Olds and Buicks. Before in went into the service, he had a '38 Olds that he left in the care of his best buddy, who ruined it. We came down from Alaska in a '50 Ford woody, after that it was a '55 Buick Special, a '57 Buick, a '49 Buick (recession and lack of construction jobs around 1960). He then had a ''55 88 that my oldest brother rolled, a '60 Dynamic 88 flattop, a '64 Dynamic 88, which was a red two door with a white interior, 394 4 bbl, 320 hp and posi, which he hated, as the car would get sideways in a hurry in the wet. That was followed by a '67 98 two dr sedan ( gold with an aqua interior), a '71 98 Regency, and then '74 98 Regency, which was his last Olds before switching to Chevy vans for boat and travel trailer towing duty. The 98's did a good job at that as well. Speaking of chicken, I like gizzards as well, but again only in moderation..yum.
Old February 27th, 2019, 03:36 AM

mawn'in

Jouni, My final suggestion is build a systurn and keep the snow for water use during the spring summer

Glenn, My Ex's mom lived right up the road in Bastrop, La. I've been to Monroe many times

Mike, I missed sum thing. Where ya headed?

Got my new shiny cemetery sign up yesterday. The old post was shot.

Sum'in flung a crav'in on me fer this stuff. It's REALLY good.
https://www.southernliving.com/recip...b-salad-recipe

Old February 27th, 2019, 06:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning from the tropical north today.Only -13 right now. Not sure if I'll even wear a coat outside.

Off to the Saville shortly; the Wednesday game I believe will be going downhill ever since the introduction of Carmen to the team. I don't feel inspired to play well, so we'll see what happens.

Dan - Good luck with the Gabapentin. I doubt you're going to have any side effects or results with a dose that low, but I wish you the best results. Inversion table - that's not exactly what I was thinking but I bet it will work.

Jim - Looks tasty.

Mike - As Marc said, getting a passport that quickly here would be the same as no taxes or death. I'm guessing you're heading to Oz again.

Marc - Well said. our gas bill is on an averaging plan. Makes the winter pain less of a pain. Doesn't take long during the summer to build up a credit for the next season.

Glenn - Great story about the old days. I probably would have opened it up just because.

Ok, time to go make myself look like a curler.
Old February 27th, 2019, 06:56 AM

Good afternoon everyone.

Been a cold day, only +5 Its good to boast about "high" temps until redoldsman comes and returns me to the earth Or Jamesbo.
Today been just hanging around, and doing minor fixes to few things. Nothing interesting. After ill write this, to be known ill go heat sauna and take six cold ones….

Jamesbo - I quess i need to just bite my teeths and pay the new pipes. Afterall, at some point they need to be repaired, might aswell now. Im just glad i dodged the rain-water BS

Allan R - This time, lets play for Euros? Ill bet you lose Sorry, had to I know how inspiring it is to even go somewhere when some unwanted gets just somehow invited to circle where others got along very good and have great time together

Nailheadcanuck - More and more you and Allan tell about your country, more and more it sounds like ours. Im not totally sure, should i be happy or sad that somebody has as su*** government. Sometimes you even wonder are other people paying any attention, when government does something they know people would hate, they offer some beanies to public, and people just smile through it since they got what, 0,5% lesser taxes whih got reverted back and more after few months..

Weird that you guys need to wait so long for passports? I can just go ( and actually soon should) to internet, select from database my picture if i look even remotely same nowadays, and depending of my needs and money, i can get it even for tomorrow as express-Service. Usually takes around week with snail-mail, and i can just walk to my closest R-kiosk to redeem it ( express-passport need to be gotten from police-station).

Hmph.. Off to heat sauna. Have a good day everyone!
Old February 27th, 2019, 09:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
The weather is crappy here today. It is not cold (60 degrees) but it is overcast and damp. Supposed to rain. We were scheduled to go to the Sweethearts & Orphans car show in Waxahacie (about 35-40 miles away) this weekend. We have been the last three years and it is a fun show. You see lots of Studebakers, Nashs and Hudsons and other cars you never see. It is the only place I have ever seen an Allstate. It is looking like I am going to cancel since it is supposed to rain Saturday. I have until noon tomorrow to cancel my reservation but will probably be out the $88 I paid for registration and the dinner (for 2) on Saturday night.
Marc, I will try and not get political which is hard for me but you have probably seen one members of one of the parties in this country openly embracing socialism. As Ronald Reagan said, "socialism works great until you run out of the other guys money".
Jim, as you know Bastrop is not the garden spot of North Louisiana. Monroe has suffered serious social and economic decline. I actually grew up in West Monroe on the west side of the Ouachita River. It has experienced more growth and done considerably better than Monroe. An old friend of mine was mayor there for 40 years and was finally defeated last year. It was pretty much his own fault because he said he was not going to run for re-election and then changed his mind. Another candidate had emerged and gained enough momentum to win. He has a PHD and was an economics professor at the university prior to becoming mayor.
Allan, I did open the Riviera up several times. I just didn't leave it open very long. Man that thing would run. When you floored it you could hear that giant sucking sound of the two Carter AFB's sucking air and lots of gas. I would love to have one of those cars today.
As Bugs Bunny used to say, "That's All Folks"

Glenn
Old February 27th, 2019, 09:42 AM

Glenn, My ex mother in law wasn't exactly Princess Grace of Monaco, She deserved to live there
Old February 27th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Warm out, but overcast. It's pretty humid so I wonder if it's going to rain. It rained on my drive up to the north side this morning.

So I went to see the chiropractor. Saw three of them, actually. They did a lot of feeling and bending and pulling and pushing. Found out I have some fairly serious degenerative arthritis in my hip. My doctor had told me that but didn't say anything else about it so I didn't believe him. They took several Xrays as well, and had me lay on some stretching machine. I feel a little taller now. The good news is they can help me be rid of the pain I have. They are big on nutrition so they can help me lose some weight and also help some other issues I have(like that damn restless leg syndrome).

My reward to myself for being so responsible about my health? Had lunch at Awful house. Hey, I was dangerously close to my favorite pizza place and had planned on going there, but the one doctor said absolutely no tomatoes. She said I had a lot of inflammation and tomatoes cause that. So no ketchup, NO PIZZA SAUCE, nothing. Geez.

Jamesbo it's time for my annual trip down under. You guys are right to question my theory on getting a passport in time. Well, per the State Department website, I paid a lot of extra money for expedited service, and I even sent the application expedite, and also paid for expedited return service. They say 2-3 weeks, I'm hoping it's closer to 2. If not, I have a plan B.

So now I have a little extra time this afternoon, wonder what I can get into. Still have to go to work tomorrow so it's bedtime early tonight. It's kind of nice having a break right in the middle of the week. Might try this again.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old February 27th, 2019, 04:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Glenn, My ex mother in law wasn't exactly Princess Grace of Monaco, She deserved to live there
You really didn't like you ex MIL did you. It is interesting that we have a Bastrop, Texas although it is pronounced differently, more like bass trop. It is a burb east of Austin and a really nice little town. We go to the Veterans Day show down there every year. They had a huge wildfire down there several years ago that burned lots of homes and took several lives.
Old February 27th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Oh no, not again...

Glenn, - agree with your comment 100%; I'm running out of money. Here's a Churchill quote; " Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery". Reagan was a bit more to the point though. The problem is here that our esteemed PM has never read a book, unless it was on grass or the thing that rhymes with it, so he wouldn't know what these guys said or meant by it. Seems that statement might be true in your guy's case there too.
A nailhead with only a single carb also runs sweetly; I try and flog mine to the coast every year. Ah, yeah, fuel consumption can be prodigious. But then again, my last 394 Olds almost bankrupted me when the wife used it to go to school; it was costing a tank a day to go from the west end of Edmonton to Fort Saskatchewan. So they all use about the same...I'd love to have a Rivi like that now; but they're getting expensive.

Allan, hope you enjoyed the weather. That's it until May.

Jouni, yeah, we all complain about our governments, at least they allow us the right to. I've lived in countries where that sort of thing would get you shot. Like Winston Churchill said, "Democracy may be lousy, but it's better than all the other forms of government that were tried", - OK, not a direct quote, but something like that. But, even though they tell me that my vote matters and that all votes count, why is it that I have this indescribable urge to lower my zipper any time I walk into a voting booth. Canada is a really beautiful country, the scenery is spectacular and the air is clean, ( regardless of what some think) but the weather is terrible. The only other reason why I won't leave Canada is because I honestly can't afford to live anywhere else, they've taken all of my money or rendered it worthless. "Nuff said.

Mike, Sorry to hear that; have to watch your diet? Yeah, the best thing you could do is cut out sugar. All of it, no ketchup, no soda, no sweets, no nothing. I did and the weight peeled off, and it took a load off my frame and brought me back from a diabetic future. The Awful House probably smothers everything in sugar, most restaurants do, they can't use fat or salt to enhance taste. But sugar will kill you dead faster than fats or salt will; it's just all-around bad for you. Once you eliminate sugar, everything else is then done in moderation. That at least allows some pleasure in food and life. The alternative if you listened to the so-called "health professionals" is you'd end up shooting yourself on a tofu and celery sticks diet.

Dan, here's hoping the stuff doesn't have any nasty side effects. I know how that works, I can't handle cortisol-steroids which I need to control COPD and asthma. Every time I use it, I lose total control of my extremities and limbs and cramp into a fetal position until it wears off. Most of the time it's very rare to have any effects, but, here's hoping it'll all work out.

So I'm done for today...nice thing is that Ball-Hamilton is still working, so I might have solved it's running issues. The bad thing is I'm out a further $20 because I had to send a dial for it back to Texas because the seller made a mistake and sent the wrong one. This thing is starting to get expensive.

Have a good evening!
Old February 27th, 2019, 09:08 PM

Thanks Marc. Due to the sleepiness side effect, they don't want me to start it until this weekend, so I'm not going to work overtime until I know how I react to it.
Old February 28th, 2019, 05:43 AM

mawn'in

Well,The city arborist lost his long battle with cancer. It's gonna be a crowd for his funeral. I hope this place dries out quickly

Glenn, She was without a doubt the most self absorbed person I've ever know.. Had to be the center of attention 24/7

Mike, I
I've got some water seeping into my chimney and a friends[engineer] suggested Siloxane. Ya may wanta try it on your basement walls.

I Ooooooooooooops and misread the article about the 1000 hp Suburabn. The 65 K figure is IN ADDITION to the base price. That kinda makes it close to a GT 40. Think I'll pass at 140K

Old February 28th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

When I took out the trash at 6:30 i was surprised to note the temperature was a balmy -7! Wonder how long it's gonna last. According to my phone and Accuweather not long so we'll see.

Marc - You following the SNC Lavalin debacle? I watched Jody Wilson-Raybould respond to the Justice committee buffoons yesterday. I missed her prepared statement (apparently 35 minutes and covered exactly what the Q&A from the buffoons did) but during the heckling from that group she appeared very poised, thoughtful and had clear answers to the questions she was allowed to address. Now I'm not a Liberal, but I have to admire her for the manner in which she conducts herself, and the office which she previously held. If more polly tishins were as focused as her, this country would be much better off. I wasn't too impressed with the scrum Andrew Scheer and that idiot Jasmir Singh held, and even less impressed with the one the PM held. He's a master of evasion on direct questions. I'm constantly amazed that reporters don't fire back that they'd like a simple yes or no to the question instead of a misdirect. Personally I think and hope this goes to fruition of downfall to the existing Fed gubment.

Jouni - Euros??? Hahahaha, my friend you already owe me a bazillion samolians and that's at least €5 So yesterday was a classic Jerome 'stupid' moment. He just doesn't get why guards are/should be used in a game. He's so afraid that anything in the house will count against him that almost every shot is a hit. Such a moronic way to approach a game. Curling is a finesse game, and requires skill to deliver the right weight and turn on a rock to achieve the winning points. I know that and use it to my advantage every game that I skip. Anywho, we were surprisingly up 5-2 in the 4th end, and then the wheels fell off the cart. Mostly because of bad calls by Jerome and the front end started to falter. In the 5th end Jerome finally got it together and realized that a rock in the top of the house was better than a hit on an inconsequential opponent rock. I agreed and got into the hack for my delivery. You have to understand that there needs to be total focus and concentration by the thrower for the shot to go well. As I'm ready to throw, Jerome moves the broom. *****! Have to reset. Ready to go now and *****! He moves it again. This happens 5 times so finally I just said $%#!# it and deliberately threw a hog rock out of frustration. (that's a rock that goes out of play because it doesn't make the hog line at the far end). Wanna know the final? I don't remember because we lost by a fair margin. It doesn't help that Carmen continues to #$#(%# up and miss shots, then advise the skip what to do. Also doesn't help that she can't judge rock weight when she's sweeping. Bad news is that she's with us till the end of the season and you may end up balancing your € debt to 0 by the time the season finishes

Jim - Eye is heddin out ta whack whitey mebbe later today. Kin ya figger out whut dat means??? not whut ya do iffn ya needs a hint.

Dan - At that low dose I don't think you'll have any problems with drowsiness. In most cases where there's significant nerve pain, the threshold for Gabapentin is 2100 mg daily. I take 1800 and might have to go up to 2100. At that dose yes it does cause drowsiness but it doesn't affect my ability to drive or focus. It does allow me to get a good nights sleep though. I take 3 doses of 600 mg morning, early afternoon and evening. Interesting that this drug was originally designed for people with Epilepsy. But it has excellent effectiveness for other medical issues as well. I'm curious to hear back how you feel after you commence taking it. If you do feel any drowsiness I'm sure that will be just the initial reaction. I didn't feel anything at all with 100mg.

Wheres' Adrian? Hahaha besides living in Oz?? Love to hear how things are working out on Grandads estate and winding up the final details. Maybe I should call him and chat.

Mike - That's interesting to hear about the chiropractors approach to your pain. I hope it works out for you and maybe they can provide the incentive for you that your Dr doesn't when it comes to nutrition. As Marc noted, cutting down on sugar is one thing, but cutting down on portion size and selection of foods is another. Do they have a dietitian on staff who can help you with that? Awful House is your go to, we all know that but do they have a menu you could choose that would be in line with the nutrition you need vs want? It's a very difficult battle at first and trust me, it's an easy one to fall off the wagon, especially when food tastes so good. You no doubt know what your daily caloric intake needs to be, vs what it actually is. I'm surprised that they said no tomatoes; that's a very healthy fruit. Have a look at these selected quotes
Tomatoes. Whether eaten raw or cooked, tomatoes are full of lycopene. ... Like other non-starchy fruits, tomatoes have a low GI ranking. One study in 2011 found that 200 grams of raw tomato (or about 1.5 medium tomatoes) each day reduced blood pressure in people with type 2 diabetes.
Tomatoes, another superfood for diabetes, are packed with vitamin C, are an excellent source of vitamin A, and are a good source of potassium. They're also low-carb and low-cal, averaging just 32 calories per cup.
I love maters and eat them regularly (I'm type 2 diabetic). According to my registered nutritionist they should be on everyone's diet so I wonder what's up with the people you talked with.

2 more days to the Tim Hortons Brier opener - Bottcher vs Epping in the Wild Card game. Can't wait. I want it to be Bottcher.

Last edited by Allan R; February 28th, 2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old February 28th, 2019, 07:35 AM

I jes got offf my car phone with the police commissioner [regarding parking for the arborist service] Kinda fun to be breaking Ga law by using my car phone while driving.and talking to the big dog

Allan, Years ago, I had a golden retriever that developed mouth cancer. She would chase after and eat any rotten [usually jes bruised] tomato, I picked and tossed out of the garden. When winter came, I'd open a can of tomatoes and feed them to her. Spose to be loaded with antioxidants
Old February 28th, 2019, 09:50 AM

Started my therapy sessions at Baylor Hospital this week. Rigorous PT workout including balancing act and up/down from sitting position, but the best is she had me go up/down stairs (real ones) and I did fine.....and signed off on going to my favorite Balcony Club to hear my favorite garage band...Kenny and the Kasuals, tonight. So excited, first return to my regular Thursday night haunt since the September 2018 stroke at,,,where else....the Balcony Club. A huge milestone for me and my recovery. Still walking 1/2 to a mile a day, w/o cane/walker. Slowly getting the balance/stamina issues out of the way. Sorry for always talking about my illness, but it's all I've known for a bit now. Silver Bullet still for sale. Hope everyone had as good a day as I'm having. Fingers still no doing the walking too good, yet, but they will...…….
Old February 28th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Nailheadcanuck
Mike, Sorry to hear that; have to watch your diet? Yeah, the best thing you could do is cut out sugar. All of it, no ketchup, no soda, no sweets, no nothing. I did and the weight peeled off, and it took a load off my frame and brought me back from a diabetic future. The Awful House probably smothers everything in sugar, most restaurants do, they can't use fat or salt to enhance taste. But sugar will kill you dead faster than fats or salt will; it's just all-around bad for you. Once you eliminate sugar, everything else is then done in moderation. That at least allows some pleasure in food and life. The alternative if you listened to the so-called "health professionals" is you'd end up shooting yourself on a tofu and celery sticks diet.
Your suggestion and the 'point' you are making is certainly well noted. However, no one can survive without sugar - sugar is one of the four required molecules of living organisms. Many have difficulty associating and understanding sugars.

The four required molecules of life:
Proteins (composed of amino acids)
Lipids (fats)
Nucleic Acids (DNA/RNA)
Carbohydrates (sugars)

The x3 basic classes of carbohydrates:
Monosaccharides (single simple sugars); Disaccarhides (two linked simple sugars); Polysaccharides (long chain [many links] of both monosaccharides & polysaccharides)

You'll be dead without eating Carbohydrates. The key is to reduce the amount of monosaccharides in your diet & increase the amount of polysaccharides in your diet.

Carbohydrates are reduced (absorbed & eliminated) in your body via metabolism. The fastest molecules to be absorbed by your body are the monosaccharides, then the disaccharides & finally the polysaccharides.
I'm not going to bore anyone with a treatise on biochemistry. Suffice it to say you should stay clear of simple carbohydrates (simple [refined especially] sugars) and eat more complex carbohydrates (fibers, grains & vegetables).

Want to eliminate gout - eat your veggies mate! Want to reduce diabetic neuropathy - eat your veggies mate! Want to bring your diabetes under control - eat your veggies mate!

Finally - drink COPIOUS amounts of water. Water (is required to) and doesn't only break down all four required molecules of life, it helps to eliminate all sugars from the body faster.
Old February 28th, 2019, 11:13 AM

“Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.”

Old February 28th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Long day, I didn't do squat. Again my plan was to start out signing and the other guy weaseled in there. So I let him sign all day. I went to do a couple CBTs and when that guy got to half he came over and I said, oh, sorry, I need to finish this. He acted like he couldn't carry on, but I knew he could because he has in the past. As my grand finale I rolled one tire out just before we left.

Marc this outfit is big on nutrition. Where the tomato bit came from I don't know, I guess my bones are inflamed. I'm going to do my best at following their advice because I'm tired of being fat. It certainly won't do me any favors unless I go to see you and Allan around this time of year and I have to sleep on a park bench.

Don't worry Norm, I'm in no danger of dying from a lack of sugar. I wonder how long I could last without eating anything at all. Probably wouldn't be anyone's pick for a political prisoner; I'd be the last holdout at a hunger strike.

Allan I know tomatoes are good for you, but I'm not a fan. I wouldn't pick one up and eat it like a hand fruit. But I like them in things. Spaghetti sauce, chili, salsa if it's mild. When I go to my next appointment we'll talk about an eating plan and all that. I'm actually pretty excited. And yes I plan on asking them how I could possibly eat well at the Awful house.

Aron keep telling us how you're doing. I want to hear it. With all the bad stuff going around these days it's nice to hear of some success. Hope the band sounds good tonight.

Jamesbo is that stuff for the inside or the outside. Probably wouldn't hurt to put it on both. Except I don't want the inside smelling like tar.

Well it was nice when I left work, but now it's raining. I need to see about putting up some fencing so Tiger doesn't jump into the mud again. The lake is going down and will be down for a few weeks, and he'll be able to jump over the wall and leave the area. Mostly it's muddy and he'll be a mess if he goes in there. I got 100ft of welded wire fence, which won't be enough but it's a good start. It goes in with those green stakes. That stuff is wound up so tight it will probably be a colossal pain in the rump to uncoil it and get it to stand straight. But that's not for today because I'm not working in the rain.

Okay gonna find something inside to do. See ya's.
Old February 28th, 2019, 12:48 PM

Mike, Outside and I son't think it smells like tar. It's clear
https://www.google.com/search?q=silo...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old February 28th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
...how I could possibly eat well at the Awful house.
Mike, the big deal is this. It isn't necessarily (as was suggested by nailhead) Awful House food is probably smothered in sugar, more to the point is Awful House & similar-type establishments use mostly industrially processed food. Industrially processed food items lose the majority (and, in many cases) all of the nutrients originally contained within the food source - meaning the food you eat has no nutritional value. Albeit, your body's entire metabolism is rendered to nothing more than a garbage disposal.
Old February 28th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Running On Empty

Mike- At any rate, good for you to attempt to step up to the plate and get a handle on some more meaningful balanced nutrition by visiting/discussing during your next appointment. Simply put - watch what eat buddy.
Old February 28th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Always room for one more

So Norm, are you saying that the plastic oil used on the grill, and the bowling shoe spray used on the waffle irons, isn't a preferred source of nutrition? Hm. Just about everything they serve comes out of a bag. Obviously I don't go there for the food. Funny, when I was little I ate pretty much anything and everything. My Dad called me "Garbage Gut."