The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old January 31st, 2019, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ausraven
hey clint, good to see ya mate 😁
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

A shockingly nice morning here! But that will go to hell in a handbasket starting tomorrow. February will usher in -24 to -30 temps.

Marc - Great story and picture.

Adrian - Maybe bundle up about 15-20° of that heat and sent it our way? You and the girls would be loving it here.

Clint - Who are you??? hahahaha, nice to see ya bud. Did Lynne's surgery go well?

Dan - Too funny. (FB profile)

Well I spose I might go out and wash the car again this morning since it will be cold the next week or so. I don't like having a dirty car.
Old January 31st, 2019, 08:12 AM

Lambo prankster gets zapped

https://taphaps.com/lamborghini-pranksters-feces/
Old January 31st, 2019, 08:23 AM
Running On Empty

Glad he taught those ****-ants a lesson.

Old January 31st, 2019, 08:47 AM

Hey Clint, don't be a stranger. I'd say that the little pr!cks got what they deserved.
Old January 31st, 2019, 12:09 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Interesting day. Not a lot of wheels in the house. We were done by 10. Took an hour for lunch then sat around until 2. Tomorrow promises to be more of the same. Maybe we'll get to leave when we're done.

Hi Clint good to hear from you. Maybe this spring I'll finally be able to go out and see you. I just found out we have 2 positive space passes so I can go and not get bumped.

I think the video is a fake, but amusing. I haven't seen fake poop in years.

Marc those are magnificent buildings. So the whole congregation got wiped out and the building remains empty? Didn't anyone ever think to start things up again or claim the building as their own? Civic center maybe? Hope you're malady has about run its course.

My neighbor wants me to go to dinner with him tonight. His wife has Rheumatoid Arthritis and got a chemo treatment today and is totally wacked. He can't do a thing for himself like fix his own dinner so he wants me to go with him. Eh, I don't care. He's paying.

Beautiful out but cold. Warmer temps (during the day) are coming our way for the weekend. No way I'm going anywhere near the city over the weekend.

Adrian good luck at grandad's house. Too bad the mother has to be a pain.

Well okay, have a good afternoon everyone.
Old January 31st, 2019, 03:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Afternoon Everybody:
The weather has been pretty much like yesterday being cloudy and in the 50's. Tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be in the 60's with Sunday in the 70's. Pretty crazy weather but I will take it.
The big thing today was taking my wife back to the doctor for her post surgery follow-up. The doctor told her they did extensive lab work on the tissue removed and all was good. He told her she has recovered very well and released her. It is amazing that she had a hysterectomy two weeks ago yesterday and has now been released and is free to travel. Great news for us. Other than that it has been a pretty uneventful day. I hope you guys up north are thawing out or will soon.
Jim, I enjoyed the video. Who knows if it is real but the little dipsticks go what they deserved. Too bad he couldn't zap both of them.
Mike, enjoy the dinner.
Allan, I have never been too big on chiropractors. My brother encouraged me to go and I must say I don't regret it. I had to pay out of pocket since they don't take Humana. I am probably in for somewhere between $500 and $600. That kind of eats into the savings I made by installing my own toilets.
Later guys.
Glenn
Old January 31st, 2019, 05:29 PM
Oh no, not again...

Dan, Neat FB comic there, and Jim, the Lambo driver getting back at the idiots...love it.

Allan, hope you didn't wash your car; it'll be a frozen mess if you did and if you were out today you wasted your money. I guess we're going to get nailed with the same kind of cold and snow over the next day or so that the rest of the country is, oh well...

Mike, they use that church as a tourist attraction (costs 5 Euro to go up the elevator) and they're turning the church part into an art gallery/public venue. What worries a lot of people is if it where to become a Mosque; at one point there was a possibility that it could, so the City has repurposed it and it is not for sale. Enjoy your dinner.

Adrian, - that's fantastic; and project management is in great demand right now, you can write your own ticket when you graduate. I did something similar and did a diploma in Adult Ed a few years ago, proving once and for all that you could teach an old dog new tricks. It's well worth the heartache, time away and added workload to get it done. Good for you!

Glenn, glad to hear that your wife is very well on the mend. Must be a load off your minds.

Clint; welcome!

Well, I'm feeling a bit better today, still hacking and snotting everywhere, but things are getting a bit better. Not quite as tired, and today was a busy day. Taught a class and then did a bunch of voice-overs for some computer based-training modules. ("Hi, I'm Troy McLure, you might recognize me from such health and safety films as "Can't touch this", or "It's OK to ***** your finger, but don't finger your....") So I'm pretty hoarse and coughed out. Tomorrow, more training sessions and hopefully an "early-out"...probably need the extra time to shovel snow or something stupid anyway.
Time for a late supper...something easy, like "Jewish Penicillin", otherwise known as chicken soup.
Have a good evening guys!
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Marc, Yup I washed the car around 1:00. I spent the better part of an hour washing and drying it thoroughly; all the door jambs and weather seals got wiped down and dry. I only live about .5 km from the splash and dash so because there was no traffic i just went 10 k and got home with nothing on the car. It was also a good time to top up the washer fluid.

I even had a chance to use some wax on an area of the outer trunk seam where the spot welds are. They're showing some surface rust so I got em now before they could get any worse. Likely in the spring I'll buy some touch up paint and do a proper job. I also managed to get the inside glass and floor mats all cleaned! It's already -4 so I don't think I have any worries about it freezing since most of the afternoon was +4 and any dripping the car did was finished within 2 hours. Over the years, I've also learned that prior to using the car wash in cold weather, fill the gas tank and also shoot some WD-40 on the gas tank door electric release components.

Not a waste of money my friend. I did notice that the Henday hasn't been exactly nice to the front end paint on the bumper cover. All those sand and rocks from idiots cutting in front have taken a bit of a toll. But tomorrow I'll have the cleanest car in the Saville parking lot. Not looking forward to more snow, but that will give me an excuse to fire up the snowblower.

It's good to hear that you're on the rebound. That would be funny if you actually did put those one line out takes into the training videos. It would take some of the monotony out of them, but I guess it has to pass company muster? At least your sense of humor is still intact
Old January 31st, 2019, 08:19 PM
Oh no, not again...

Allan, your dedication to fight against the evil calcium chloride is admirable; I wish I had the time to do the same. I'll be touching up the LeSabre this year, it's starting to go at the rear door arches. What's scary is how fast bare steel turns dark brown; indicating that the whole piece is now iron oxide and there's no sheet steel left. I'm scared that once I start grinding I'm going to be left with a large hole. That sort of thing destroyed my last LeSabre. The factory goofed the rust proofing on the passenger's side rear siderail under the rear door and into the trunk. I only found it after I'd replaced 3 of the 4 shocks and that was my last side. Imagine my shock when I realized that I'd thrown away $1500 in parts on a shot unibody. So, it lasted one more winter before I sent it to scrap. I'll be checking this one with a fine-tooth comb in the spring before I sink any money into it.
I do have some fun with out-takes, but it's with the people who are doing the mixing and collating on the CBT. In this day and age one has to be very, very careful. So while with the guys here I might get away with some inappropriate language, with the girls at work it was doing accents and voice changes. It also helps that I can curse in a language they don't understand and regardless of what's actually said, it's usually the tone and the expressions of someone cussing something that can be hilarious.
It's funny; there used to be a time when sarcasm was respected and considered funny; nowadays too many people are too wrapped up in themselves and they tend to take things and themselves far too seriously. (Like in that movie "Good Morning Vietnam", a person voted "most likely to need a Barret-Jackson") I found that out the hard way; the boss who had to read me the Riot Act had a hell of a time keeping a straight face when he did it, and in fact ended up losing it and just telling me not to do it again. He still laughs about it. There used to be a time when I'd send out "rants" to friends; here again, one got too far and ended with me getting into hot water, even though the boss couldn't hold a straight face long enough to ream me out. Soo...have to play PC; just smile and nod, and being an ex-immigrant I learned to do that very well. It's pretty bad when the society here is getting to be as bad as the one on the other side of the Wall was when it comes to character assassination and denunciations.
Old February 1st, 2019, 06:27 AM

So, I guess you remember that a guy that has werked with the Super model for 20+ years finally made the connection that he used to date a lady whose grand father owned [ and family built] my 1896 farm house. They used to come WAY up here in the country for Sunday dinner. Here;s sum pics

headed note.
Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 1st, 2019, 06:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Lord give me the patience to deal with yet more snow and freezing temps. It's -19 and windchill of -26. I didn't see that on yesterdays news and I didn't plug in the car. Spoda be somewhere in the vicinity of 20-30 cm of snow by Saturday too.

Gotta go start getting ready for the battle of the Henday and then Saville. See ya later. BTW, nice oak tree Jim.
Old February 1st, 2019, 07:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

There's a lull in the action. Things are slow but we should be done by noon. It's going to be about 60 today so I got some things to attend to at the shop.

So yesterday the light bulbs turned into the ballast being bad in the fixture. I said good luck to you I don't do electricity. Oh come on it's easy just do this and this. I said nope. He pressed until I took the ballast apart( by diking wires) and then I said now what, you don't have a new ballast. So I'm guessing he's going to Home Depot today to get one and then he'll want me to change it. I've told him before I don't like electrical work, but his game is to see how far he can push someone. Well, his wife does make me an awful lot of food.

Jamesbo what about the oak trees by the street? Does he have any pictures of those?

Marc I tell people where I'm from our cars rust up to the windows. That's a great idea, not selling the church so they keep control of it. I want to go to Lubeck Castle some day.

Here comes some wheels. Gotta do something.
Old February 1st, 2019, 08:18 AM

Mike, That's one of 4 in the pic. The street is right at the bottom of the pic [house is very close to the road]

BTW, Looks to me like the ladies are cooking up some of John's favorite meal Fried chicken
Old February 1st, 2019, 09:29 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning All.
Jim, those are some great pictures. If only walls could talk. I wonder if somebody told a joke in the kitchen since all the ladies are smiling. When I was a kid we used to all go to my grandfathers every Sunday. The adults would sit on the screened front porch and talk and all the kids would play outside. Now the old house just sits there in the tiny little town in north Louisiana. It belongs to my cousins daughter who doesn't live close by but I believe at least maintains the roof and keeps it structurally sound. It is in the country and parts are over 100 years old. I hope nobody comes along and does something stupid like burning it down.
Allan, sorry you are back in the deep freeze. The coldest I have ever been in is -3 when I was going to tech school at Chanute AFB in Rantoul, Illinois. Do not want to ever be that cold again.
With the back improved I am taking myself off light duty. I have things I need to get done but will take it easy on the back.
Have a good day guys.
Glenn
Old February 1st, 2019, 10:08 AM

Cool pics, Jamesbo. Allan,we are at 10° right now, warmed up a bit. They are now calling for 50° on Monday, with rain most of next week. There will be flooding problems up by the Hardy Dam, as they currently have a 17 mile ice jam on the Muskegon River. Ok, my turn to rant. I had a doc. appt. on Monday, that was cancelled via a phone call by them on Sunday due to the weather. They called back as they said they would on Tuesday. That appt. was for this morning. I show up at the designated time, and sign in using the computer kiosk at the entrance. It CONFIRMS my appt. day and time. I wait, and I wait. I walk up to the registration window, where they log in people who don't like the computer. They promptly tell me that I don't have an appointment, and that I missed Mondays Appointment!!! I said that you called me on Sunday, and cancelled due to the weather, and called back on Tuesday to make a new appointment. "We don't have you scheduled". To which I replied, "It's in the kiosk's computer!" , We don't have anything to do with that". "Do you know how much *&%#@ pain that I'm in?" Do you want to reschedule? Was their reply. I waited to respond while looking out the window across the street where the competing healthcare facility is located. Yes. Gee, they screw up, and I'm the moron? Well, they will send me an email asking about my appointment, and was i seen at the designated time, and was I treated with professionalism. etc. etc. They will get an earful. Hey look, the sun is shining. Maybe it will dissipate that black cloud over my head. Well, off to work, and a handful of Ibuprofen
Old February 1st, 2019, 12:36 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo if the trees were getting cut down for the turn lane, that would put the road what, about two feet from your front door? Don't people have any brains?

We left work around noon, and of course I stopped at the Awful house. It's beautiful out. Waiting on some laundry to finish and I'll go over to the shop for a minute.

Dan that's incredible what your doctors office is thinking. Or not. I hope you can get in soon and get some relief. What is it with places these days?

Glenn I spent many days on Chanute AFB(as a civilian). My sister's then dumbass husband was stationed there and my Mom and I would drive down to visit a lot. My best friend was in school at the University of Illinois, so I'd go see him while my Mom and sister visited. Octave Chanute was an aviation pioneer.

Tiger has been outside for about 30 minutes. Wonder what he's into...
Old February 1st, 2019, 05:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Marc - Is the LeSabre rusting out on the dog leg? If it is, also check the rockers. Chances are good that they're on their way out. That's exactly what happened to my Regency Elite. I found replacement dog legs and rockers to get welded in but the cancer came back with a vengeance within 3 years. At that point although the rest of the car was in great shape, it was time to call a spade an effin shovel and cut my losses. It was a great car while it lasted and that 3800 Series II was a wonderful engine.

The Henday today was like a ghost town. I wasn't sure if I was on the right road but yup, hardly any traffic compared to usual. Still was a lot of snow coming down but traffic seemed to have adjusted to that. I think most people just took the day off. When I got home I parked on the street and used the snowblower to clean the drive and sidewalks. Forecast is for snow all night so I'm not doing it again till tomorrow afternoon when it's spoda quit.

Dan - Sometimes there's just no explaining stupid. You should have printed up a sign and handed it to them. They might have gotten the message. Up here if I miss an appointment and it's my fault they bill me for it. I've cancelled some appointments because they were in conflict with other more important things. Then I'd get a bill in the mail which pissed me off. So I called the office and they said, "oops, sorry about that. Our computer system was down" Apparently not long enough to retrieve my personal information and generate a bill though. I hear ya on your frustration. It sounds like it should be part of a soap opera.

Glenn - Temps of only -3 are nothing. But thank you for the kind words. Weather peeps here say we're in for extreme cold at least 10 days into Feb. Good think I run full synthetic oil in the cars.

Jim - Looks like the house was well used for social gatherings. I don't expect you could ask for warranty on some of the things you've had to fix over the years
Old February 1st, 2019, 06:09 PM

Good evening everyone!

Another frigid week over. I know I shouldn't be complaining since it is much colder in other parts of the country but I can't help it.

Work is going pretty well. I'm being assigned to a large project with tight deadlines.

Marc, glad to hear you are feeling a little better.

Dan, that's funny pic! Too bad about your appointment. Customer service isn't what it used to be.

Adrian, good luck with your course. I agree with the feeling of seeing a project through start to finish. I've had a few chances to do that as well.

Hey Clint, it's been a while, at least since I've been around regularly.

Allan, I feel like I should be washing my winter vehicle more often after reading your post. I take it through a touchless car wash a few times a winter.

Cool pictures Jim, seeing history is always interesting. Small world.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 05:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Hey, that's strange. I didn't make any adjustments to this keyboard or my posting profile and now the script has changed to Times New Roman! Is this yet another modification the IT department without any notifications to us? Oh well, it's not something really bad. And what I know about these fonts is that experts claim that this kind of font is easier to read.

Really cold here thing morning at -23 but at least the snow has stopped. I'll wait a bit till the sun comes out before I go out to clear the small amount that accumulated last night. Other than that I'm not going out. Just staying inside where it's toasty and watching curling on TSN. Last night local product Brenden Bottcher knocked off favorite Brad Gushue to win the semi final in the invitational Skins game. Good for Brenden, he's a really bright star in the world of curling right now, and plays with a calmness that's unbelievable. His whole team has the same goals and play with frightening precision at times.

Ok, when I press Post, I'm curious to see how this looks on the final product.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 05:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'll be. it changed to Arial font. And now my posting window is also back to Arial font. The mysteries of CO continue
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:17 AM
Running On Empty

Allan - Some of the back-end Admins aren't perhaps the sharpest tools in the shed. I guess for a free website, we have to expect certain things aren't going to be configured correctly. As an example recently they updated the Go Advanced window (I can point out other examples). Yet, notice when you open the Go Advanced window we now see the Paper Clip icon to manage attachments. They are using the incorrect icon or they have not completed setting up the Paper Clip icon feature. You don't use a Drop-Down icon (current Paper Clip icon) if there is no further Drop-Down items to choose from - mis-configured feature setup. I can tell ya, the Manage Attachments feature is not configured correctly, as well. Users should be able to view the attachments of the post they are modifying - instead they see nothing more than the Upload Files windows. Oh well - you get what you paid for.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:52 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slept real good last night, got up just as the sun was coming up. Saw some people at the Awful house I hadn't seen in awhile.

Today I've rented a trailer and am going to move stuff from the house over to the shop, in preparation of digging up my house. Why rent a trailer when I have three? Because two have something on them and the other doesn't have any lights. I really wanted a tow dolly, so I wouldn't have to drag them up as far with the come along, but there were none to have. So I'll be getting a workout today.

Norm maybe if you contribute to the website everything works like it should. Otherwise you get whatever.

Allan was the Regency Elite dangerous to drive when you got rid of it? Why didn't you just have the rockers and doglegs done again? Did you like its replacement as well? You know the rockers are one thing that never seem to rust on a Corvair. The rest of the car rusts to hell. At the end of the world there will be two things left. Cockroaches and Corvair rockers.

Okay the fun now starts. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Allan was the Regency Elite dangerous to drive when you got rid of it? Why didn't you just have the rockers and doglegs done again? Did you like its replacement as well? .
Was it dangerous? Uh, yeah, when I was changing the winter tires the jack went through the rocker and took out the rear brake lines. On close inspection, the entire rockers on both sides I could put my hand through the bottom with steady pressure. Replacing the brake lines are a PITA, and they were showing corrosion too. So if you like driving without being able to stop, it was a peach. I bought the car for $3500.00 from an auction. Then I found out it had the odometer cluster tampered with, and the car was from Barrie Ont which is notorious for using high levels of calcium chloride and sodium chloride in the winter. I had it for 8 years and in that time it cost me north of $5,000.00. Part of that was the intake manifold plastic gasket and an exhaust system. Why not just get the rockers and dog leg done again? Because that would cost me over $3000 on it's own and there are very few shops that will do rust repairs here. The first time I replaced them, GM wasn't making replacement parts so I had to go to a wrecker to get them. At the time they ended up costing me $500.00 and the labor/paint to install was another $2500. That's why. The car was not worth the cost to repair and yes I looked it up. I also looked at the detailed repair folder for the car and decided it didn't need to get any thicker. The replacement car is my Sonata Limited with the 3.3L eng which is still going strong. Aside from the tune up and brake pads I did back in 2015 (normal mtce) it has cost me nothing, so yeah I really like the replacement car.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:30 AM
Always room for one more

That's ashame, an otherwise good running car relegated to the scrap heap because it's too expensive to fix it. Eh, I guess that's called planned obsolescence. Now, if you had a barn you could have gotten a project car with a blown up engine and done a custom swap...

Well I got the trailer and went to the shop to scope things out. Trouble is, I can't find my come along. If I were a smart one I would have found the come along yesterday and had everything ready to go. Nope. Now I will be wasting time trying to find it. Actually I should just go get another one, they aren't that much and I'm not spending the whole day looking for it.

It's really nice out. Supposed to be 60 I think. That's fine with me. Tiger goes out and instead of spending a few minutes he spends a half hour. It's good for him.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 11:02 AM
Always room for one more

So it only took me an hour to get the Corvair loaded. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm over 50 and still winching cars by hand and working on them laying in the mud. Maybe instead of fixing the basement I should buy a rollback.

Next up is the Vista Cruiser. That one's a little heavier and of course it's on an incline. It will probably take a couple hours. Eh, that's what I have planned for the day. If I move two cars then that figures out to $29 apiece. I couldn't get a wrecker for that amount.

But now a little lunch.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Honestly Mike, I have to agree. It was a shame and you can bet I had my heart strings tugging hard to tell the float operator to put it back on the ground in the driveway. It was a very sentimental moment but I had to look past that and focus on reality. The engine had over 300K on it, and was starting to leak oil from somewhere; I never bothered to track it down. It was starting to have issues with idle too which I think were related to the coolant sensor. It would normally idle around 750 rpm in drive. Then something happened and it started to go down to around 590-610 which is low for that engine. I tried resetting the IAC and that worked for around a minute but that's all. Then the cooling system started to malfunction. I'd already done a lot of repairs to this car and when I tallied up what it was costing me, it literally made no sense to go on sentiment and keep it. Sure I could have done a band aid repair on the brake lines, but how long till that fizzled out too. Not worth the hassle and peace of mind. Sometimes it's best to cut losses and walk away. I still have pictures of the car in my files.

These are from when I had another set of repairs done - The quarter panels and dog leg rusted out and there was a gaping hole in the trunk drops from rust out. This one also cost me close to another $3000). Ever see the Michael Douglas /Kathleen Turner movie called 'The War of the Roses? This car was that movie without the drama from the wife.

All said and done, I wish I still had this car. It was the one I got married in and brought my son home from the hospital in. I sold it with close to 340K on it. Still ran well for a car that was close to 20 years old. My 1983 Ninety Eight Regency Brougham.

Right after I posted last, I looked outside and it was snowing like crazy! It was definitely a WTF moment because I had just finished cleaning the snow off everything. It snowed hard for around 2 1/2 hours and dumped another 2" of snow which I just got in from cleaning. Now the weather forecast has changed from clear and sunny with no snow, to 30% chance of more white fluffy wonderful crap overnight. I'm with Jouni; I want this stuff to stop.

Norm - I'm not really concerned about those functions of the site. I prefer the Keep it simple approach. I was just commenting that I found the font in my post different when I fired up the site this morning, but it reverted back to normal when I posted. Not a hill to slide on IMO.

Back to the curling circuit shortly. Soon as I have a corned beef sammich.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 12:07 PM
Always room for one more

I don't know why I was thinking you were talking about this white car. But it would have had a V8 so that wasn't it.

The latest problem, which I never would have seen coming, is the key for the Vista Cruiser won't turn forward in the ignition. It turns back to ACC, but won't turn forward. It's like it's the wrong key. But it works all the doors and it's worked the ignition before, so I know it's the right key. It's original, so fairly worn. I spent a half hour pounding on the column trying to get something to jar loose, but nada. I finally spritzed some lube in there, I didn't want to but it's all I have left. I don't know how the inside of the steering column works so I can't visualize what is happening or not. So I can take the steering wheel off and see if that gains me access to anything, or I can call a locksmith who will probably destroy the old lock and replace it with one that won't match the doors. Nothing can be easy.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 12:10 PM

Good evening everyone.

Sorry ive been quiet, but since at thursday i visited to see my friend- it was a sad sight really- been feeling down somewhat. His life is done in reality.
Not much else to say. Promised 8" of snow for night. Ehh…. I quess next woke-up aint so "happy".. I quess +2 hours of snow-work WAITS for me..

Allan R - Nah, thats not even badly rusted, you should see our "specials" Heh, poor citizens do whatever it takes to keep em on traffic

Nah, not much else to say, sorry. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 01:45 PM

I had the font differences for awhile. Type in the reply area, and the font would be different from what was seen after hitting the "post quick reply" tab. Both are the same now. Cleared out the driveway, due mainly to a small snow drift on one side. replaced the front wiper blades on the Santa Fe, but not the rear as no one has them around here, no one except the parts stores where they charge double. Time to hit Rock Auto. Hmmm, I think pizza and wings would hit the spot. I'll order those after I do my grocery shopping in a bit.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 05:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:
Mike, I have a homebuilt car trailer out at a stable where I used to board horses. It has been sitting for years since I haven't used it. I am going to use it this year to haul material to rebuild my deck and some dirt for some flower beds and my front yard. I also hope to haul my 57 Chevy from storage to my house. I agreed to haul one of the guys 27 Olds to the Autorama this month. So I went out yesterday and took a look at it. This thing is 18 feet long and 7 feet wide. To my surprise the tires still had air in them. This means I can pull it to Discount Tire and let them install the new tires without having to jack this thing and pull all the wheels and take them to have the tires mounted and then put them back on the trailer. Although my back is almost completely healed it doesn't need me doing those dang tires. I just sold a single axle trailer I had for $500. A new set of trailer tires is going to cost me about $440.
Allan, that white 98 was a really pretty car. Too bad you guys get all that rust. Freeze you asses off in the winter then you cars rust away. Bummer.
The NTOC did our service project at the Fisher House today. The Fisher House is on the campus of the VA Hospital and serves as a place for families to stay when they have a family member in the hospital. It is kind of a Ronald McDonald House for the VA and there are several of them. It is a really neat place. Twice a year we go out and provide lunch for them and leave lots of food for folks to have in the following days. I cooked a big pot of chili and baked a bunch of chocolate chip cookies. Thank goodness for Nestles Tollhouse cooking dough. Our weather has warmed up a lot but it has been overcast for the last two days.
Well sportsfans, that is about all I have tonight. Hope all of you are doing well.
Glenn

Last edited by redoldsman; February 3rd, 2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:58 PM

Our day also to Fisher House to do something good for our Veterans! Really a nice feeling, and something we are proud to participate in. Glenn beat me to the punch! A '27 C***y for the Autorama? You better not be talkin' about Gene's Old's, he'll have your hide!
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:58 PM
Oh no, not again...

I'm still alive; things are improving. So to celebrate I went out and bought and prepared some Steak Tartare; yeah, it's a throw-back to my European roots, we'll see if it stays down or, in the immortal words of Brooke Shields, "Wake up dead or something". So far it's been an hour and I feel fine. I don't know; with all the crap and sickness, along with this weather and snow, I just figured I had to treat myself. We'll see if that was a mistake later tonight.

So this morning got up to go to breakfast, shoveled off the walk and driveway, started up the poor old Buick, (unplugged, it was not happy with me) and then started to sweep it off. Managed to snap the antenna off the back window. Just tapped it, and "snap", that was it. Great...Dug out the driveway, and then set off. The car started to fog over, it was just not getting warm. Ok, go to the gas station, notice the sign, damn, it's a buck a litre, expensive, ($4,00 a US gallon) considering a week ago it was 90 cents...as I'm standing there waiting for my debit card to clear, the price changes to 88 cents a litre, things are looking up. Loaded in about 2 quarts into the overflow can. Bloody antifreeze is expensive! Of course my garage stock was out, so I had to buy premix at the gas station. $25 a gallon! Criminal! But, it sure helped, the car started heating again. Went to breakfast, it's amazing just how many people that are out there, who are operating in the upper 10% of their cranial capacity; the roads weren't bad, it wasn't too cold, but everyone was absolutely terrified and looked it. Morons plodding along at 20-30 less than the speed limit, long lines of cars tryi9ng to get by, and so on. So, after breakfast, decided to hit the ethnic store and stock up, and that's when I decided about the tartare. Got home, shoveled again, went inside, just in time for it to dust my flipping driveway again. Plugged in the car though; hopefully it will be happier.

Allan, yes, I checked the rockers and the side rails. This one is still Ok. Yes, the doglegs are starting, but so far, that's about it. Before I shove any money at the car in summer, I'll attack the rails with a pick hammer, I used to play with old Mercedes, those POS taught me a lot about rotten unibodies and the costs associated with trying to repair one. Now, when the car starts to rot, that's when I start shopping for a new one, because it's only a matter of time. With this Buick the car is at about 200,000 miles, it's leaking oil, and I think the plastic manifold has issues. It still runs well enough, but at that kind of old age, I'd only think about doing a mechanical refit if the body was excellent. It's not, so this thing is going into it's final days. It's unfortunate, because I love the car and it has been a very good one.

That white 98 was a pretty car; is it still around? I'm thinking of looking for one of those if this one dies.

Jouni, hope you're feeling better soon; life is too short to be depressed. I know....

Mike, chances are the key has finally hit the point. I had a tumbler set do that, it took 15 minutes to get it past lock, yet it would go back to acc fine. Eventually had to have the key in "just right"; so I decided to take it apart, should be easy, right? Not! I fought with that mess for hours, on some of the early ones there's a tab in it if you can get it to Acc, shove a paperclip in and release the tab, then the whole tumbler should come out. If it doesn't have the hole for the paper clip, then put it in Acc, and look around the inside ring for a yellow tab sticking up, putting it in Acc will expose enough so that you can get a screw driver in to depress the tab (or manipulate it, can't remember which way, it was over 20 years ago now) and then pull the tumbler out. Once the tumbler is out, then use a screw driver to start the car until you buy another tumbler set.
You're probably best off to call and old locksmith and pay the money; - might save your column. But no, pulling the wheel off and it doesn't do a thing, in order to take the tumbler out you pretty much have to take the whole column apart.

I think I'll have a nice glass of wine...or two...maybe three, ah, who am I kidding, I'll polish off the bottle!

Have a good evening!
Old February 3rd, 2019, 06:29 AM
Running On Empty

“You may have forgotten our generosity, but we’ll never forget your greed. You want to sell here. Build here.”

If it starts with a '3' - don't buy it.

https://torontosun.com/news/national...de-gm-vehicles
Old February 3rd, 2019, 06:53 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Aron:
I have no idea what I was thinking. Man I would be in trouble with Gene. I have edited the post and destroyed the evidence. I enjoyed our visit yesterday. It was good to see you continuing to improve. Keep it up. See you next Sunday.
Glenn
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:21 AM

Hey Mike, just watched the CBS show this Sunday and they had a piece on the Awful House. Made me think of you. We don't have any here in Michigan- bummer....
Well it appears our 50" TV set has bit the dust. It can't acquire a signal off the antenna input. I was sure it was the antenna but then I tried another TV set and it works. Also the dishwasher won't fill. We have never had a dishwasher before, it is 20 years old but the previous owners weren't here that much. I guess I will try to fix it. It may need the fill solenoid valve. I have been trying to be frugal and not spend money.
The weather forecast said it was going to warm up today and tomorrow and it did. This morning it's 41. A couple days ago it was 15 below! The cold it supposed to return in a couple days so I guess I will try to replace the front wheel bearings on our 2010 Impala while it's warmer. Problem is all my tools and air compressor is at my barn which has lots of snow around it. I think I will go over with my Quad and bring back some tools and floor jack etc and change them in the garage at the house.
Take care Olds Friends!
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:27 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain this morning though the sun looks like it's trying to come out. Supposed to be nice later on.

I gave up trying to move the Vista Cruiser yesterday and moved the Amphi instead. I got it half way on the trailer, of course it was situated so the trailer couldn't get straight on to it, and I made the mistake of answering a text from that guy Leo. Remember I said he's the closest I'll come to having a son. Well, Leo calls and I end up talking to him for an hour and a half. So it was dark when I got back to the Amphi. I hooked up a flood light and got it up on the trailer and took the whole shebang over to the shop and left it. Came home in a different car. There's -no- light over there whatsoever.

Marc I think the key is just worn out. I think if I could get someone to make one on a hand held cutter it might work, but not many people can look at a key and tell what the code is. I give the trailer back today so it will sit for awhile longer. No pinhole to stick anything into. It's like that on my Corvairs, with the key in the dash. This is the side of the column with the "wing nut" the key goes into. Way much better mmhm.

Glenn that sounds like the trailer I got from Jamesbo. What a heavy duty sucker this thing is. It needs tires as well, but I'm going to dismount the tires and paint the rims then get the new tires. I don't think I'd use a trailer with a single axle. At least for a car.

Well I see that Greg has snuck a post in before I'm finished with this one, so hi Greg I'll read your words in a minute. Hope everyone has a good day. I have no opinion on the game.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Cold morning everyone,

Brrr, -30 and -42 with windchill here this morning. Definitely a stay inside kind of day again.

Marc - I have no idea where it is or if it's still alive. The guy I sold it to lived in the Grove and wasn't really much for maintenance. I told him I wanted 1200 for the car and he wanted to give 300. I told him 1200 or he could walk away. I had a complete history of the car and its maintenance. It wasn't a high maintenance car either. Aside from gas, oil, grease it was typical scheduled mtce. Only thing that was inconvenient was the water pump needed replacing one winter (93 IIRC) and it was cold even in the garage. The back doors had a fair bit of rust starting from the pinch welds and under the rocker chrome. I got 2 Buick Park Avenue doors from Pick and Pull, sanded them and prepped them inside and out then installed them and the trim. It was a pretty decent color match and fitment if I do say so myself. They're great cars for ride and economy. I had the trailer hitch installed to pull my fishing boat, and that was a surprising hit to the fuel mileage! BTW, I'm one of those people who loves a good steak tartar also; I first tried it at the Vienna Schnitzelhouse on 111 ave//120 st which is likely not there anymore. $25/gal for coolant? Are ya nuts? Crappy tire or Walmart wasn't that far away $15/gal unless you need Dexcool, then it's $18.79/gal. I bought a bunch of Dexcool in the summer when it was on sale for around $15/gal (concentrate) I mixed it 50/50 with distilled water so that's even more economical.

Norm - Yes indeed. It's gonna suck to be us. Back in the day if it started with 3, it would be an Oldsmobile. How times have changed.

Glenn - Good deal on the tires holding air. Don't drive too fast with it though. Chili? I'll be right over... Then we can play "pull my finger". Wimmen hate that game

Jouni - Canada vs Denmark in World Curling mixed doubles at Jönköping Sweden. Just in the 4th end watching right now but Canada is giving Norway a run for the money; up 4-2 right now.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:50 AM
Running On Empty

I will be playing in a golf Superball tournament during Superbowl today. It will be interesting to see if the Canada advertisement airs on United States television networks or only in Canada. I suspect the latter.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 09:14 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Canada wins mixed doubles Leg 3. 7-5 over Norway. Now playing Canada vs. Sweden Mens Gold medal game World Curling . This one could be tight.

Search this Thread