The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old January 16th, 2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat

Jamesbo just dig your crawl space deeper so you can stand up.

Mike, That's exactly what I did when I added on my screen porch [it has a roof under the floor and is insulated] I moved the well pressure tank, hot water heater and furnace where I could get to it, this "leak: is way up under that bath. Do you know a good midget plumber?

BTW, I'd fry up sum pineapple rings to go with them poke chops
Old January 16th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Do you know a good midget plumber?
]
Old January 16th, 2019, 01:09 PM

Thanks but I think I'll pass on that one Allan, He looks like a good candidate for Howard Stern's Midget bowling
It;s pretty obvious "learned people know different stuff

:
Old January 16th, 2019, 02:44 PM

After all these years on this site, I clicked on this Good Morning thread. What an interesting read. Anyone welcome? Since retiring (and the stroke) I seem to have a bit more time to explore.
Old January 16th, 2019, 02:54 PM

Morning all, still hot as hell down here. One day I'll be like you Allan and be able to say it's snowing outside
Good luck with your missus Glenn, hope all goes smoothly.
That link will explain the robotic surgery for any interested.
Have you got a mechanics creeper handy Jim?
Take care everybody,
Adrian
Old January 16th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

Aron you're more than welcome. Hope you stick around. To say we touch on diverse topics would be an understatement.

Just got back from the Awful house. There were a couple of new people there who weren't quite up to par. I used to call and see who was working but they can't tell me that anymore. Hm. Got my medicine refilled and now that's it for the evening.

I gotta go up on the roof and check the chimney. I can't get a fire to light for love nor money. Way too much smoke rolls out into the room when I open the door. I wouldn't think something has built a nest or anything because the top of the chimney is enclosed. Who knows. I'm not doing it tonight.

Jamesbo that would be me on that Jeopardy episode. It would have been funny to dub in crickets after each answer.
Old January 16th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Adrian - whoaaa I couldn't take that. I'd make a terrible Dr. In fact I probably wouldn't last more than a couple days is Doc school.

Jim - Toooo funny! I agree with Mike - crickets chirping would have been a great backdrop. I guess Alex Trebek gets to live another day.

Aron - Welcome to the fray! Love to hear what's going on in your world.
Old January 16th, 2019, 03:25 PM

Allan maybe I should have watched to whole video before uploading the link, very detailed indeed.
Old January 16th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Oh no, not again...

Well, I had an appetite before I started that video. There are now a few things I will never view the same way again. Just about yacked on that one...I'd have never made it as a doctor or a medic.

Glenn, hope all goes well with your wife...
Old January 16th, 2019, 11:01 PM

Well, I'm not that knowledgeable in football, but I knew all of the answers for that segment. Aron, welcome! Glad to have you here. I see that you are selling the Silver Bullet. I hope that it goes to a good home.
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:08 AM

Hi guys, all going well here. Sure seems like this winter is dragging on and on though yesterday we actually saw some sun -how refreshing! Welcome Aron, sorry to hear about your stroke. Last thing I heard from you, you were dealing with a smashed in garage door. Hope everything turned out on that. I remember reading your articles in JWO, always looked forward to them. I hope you are now doing well.
Mike, I hope you figured out your wood stove problem. I did see a squirrel in a flue once at a customers house. It got stuck and died- not good. But sometimes it's just a problem of heavy air like when it's real humid. Actually the only thing that causes the smoke to rise is heat- heat rises. But you need a fire to get heat, but you cant get a good fire unless it drafts properly.... vicious circle type thing.
Glenn, hope all is well with your wife.
Dan, it turns out I'm not going to be able to go to the Kazoo swap meet anyway. I do like that one though, but usually not much Olds stuff there.
Take care all.
Old January 17th, 2019, 06:33 AM

Morning! 8 AM and company today.....good. sunny and 60, very pretty. Was fun writing for JWO and Brad Bishop. SB gave me a ;lot of material. Yep, garage door replace, and back of garage ($8000), plus $2500 for another custom cruiser, and about 6000 on the SB. All great now. Think Mike and I will get the SB out today and turn all the juices, both in the car, and me. He'll drive, of course..
Old January 17th, 2019, 07:14 AM

mawn'in

A little frost on the pumpkin dis mawn'in

Welcome new [and not so new] guys to the asylum

Maybe today will end the 4 year debate about how many different hoods there are with and w/o holes

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 17th, 2019, 09:23 AM

Good evening.

Been busy last few days. And to top that, some f*******ing snow Today i woke up with 6 inches of snow waiting for some poor fellow to go out and do something with it
Enough of this, wheres the overhyped climate change when you need it??? Not much else here.

Jamesbo - Condolences about your friend

Aron Nance - Welcome!

Allan R - I see you guys buried your opponent on Curling, nice work! Whens next game? I wasnt there when Norm was here ( i remember him Still from old posts ive scrounged). I dont have anything against anyone, everyone has their own way of typing and expressing themselves, and face to face things are different, Some guys just write the way they do. Only thing i dont like, and its not only for this american car hobby, is when older people have their cementized ways of doing things, and everything else is "wrong" than their way. I just skip those guys usually. Hanging on the past & established ways are just stalling the developing, be it good or bad

redoldsman - Did your wifes surgery went well?

Okay, im off to sauna with my two best friend; beer in right, and beer in left hand….
Have a day all!

Last edited by Inline; January 17th, 2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old January 17th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

A good day at work. I'm really getting the hang of this NDT stuff. We finished way before lunch but guess what. My buddy went and started drama with the lead so it was another three hours sitting around. Eh, one more day, and it is Friday and I'm leaving so I can get ready to leave for Florida.

Greg I think the problem is there just isn't any wind to create a draft. The stove isn't like a fireplace where the chimney goes straight up. The smoke curls around some baffles and there's a layer of brick above that, it's some sort of reburn system, so I can't just hold a lit piece of newspaper up and get it going. It's raining today so I'm not going on the roof.

Adrian thanks for the video. I believe that falls into the category of TMI.

Leaving in a few minutes to go have these stitches out. I can't wait. I'm thankful for the doctor who removed the skin cancer, and he did good work. But it hurts to yawn.
Old January 17th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,

It's friggin cold here today. With windchill it's -22°F. Without wind it's only -4. Still not nice and to add insult it's also snowing. How ridiculous.

Jouni - Yeah, I hear ya about winter and snow never ending. Gee, what a shocker - you and your best friends heading for the sauna. No surprises there. You might have to get your wife to bring a couple more friends down in a bit? Tomorrow is my next game, playing Norm Campbell. I thought we were playing him on Wednesday but instead we played the Itterman team. Should be a good game but the bad thing is I have a spare player coming in to cover Carl, who's away visiting his daughter in Calgary. Hopefully John turns out to be a decent replacement.

Jim - There's absolutely no way there can be any doubt. There are 7 hoods for the 72 Cutlass models. Says so, and lists them in the Assembly manual by part number. Joe P is simply wrong saying there are only 4. He obviously forgot to include the 2 W29 hoods. Holes? Nope. They're called piercings in the manual. Good football video. I didn't get most of them either.

Glenn - How's the missus doing? Hopefully no blood clots or other issues. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Aron - Always sad to put one of the stable up on the blocks. Good luck getting your ask. That's a unique application of the HO and I'm sure the new owner will appreciate your work on it. Just curious, did the Dr take away your license when you had your stroke?

Greg - how's Jack doing?

Marc - Same here, which is why I turned it off fairly quick. And for good measure I'm having dogs for lunch with onjun, kraut, relish, mustard annnnnndddd.....ketchup!

Adrian - You'd be loving it here right now. In the deep freeze, snow falling, icy roads, in other words normal life in Alberta. Also gas prices down to 82.9/L. I'm a little surprised it's still going down because I was expecting it to jump. Yesterday I went to check the Sonata tire pressure as I saw the mileage was down more than it should be. The RF was only down 2lbs but the LF was down to 24lbs. I had to put it in the garage and warm up the valve with my MAPP heater to get the valve unfrozen. I hate when that happens but at least it's back up to 30 psi now. If it was in Oz, it would never be wearing winter shoes or have that kind of problem...
Old January 17th, 2019, 12:52 PM

On a lighter note,

Ya jes can't fix stupid

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...SzIxN7gT5CE0hg
Old January 17th, 2019, 01:58 PM

Morning all, well last night on the news I found out (if correct) that on Tuesday Australia had the 15 hottest places recorded on earth. The hottest was 49.1 degrees (120.38 F) I think it is climate change, we are getting hotter while the cold parts of the world get colder. Looking at mid 30's today and high 30's tomorrow.
Welcome to the thread Aron. I went AWOL for a few years but I'm back now
Hopefully you can get your fire sorted Mike. No point having cold weather if you can't sit in front of a fire and have a whiskey
Good luck with the game Allan.
Hoping all went well with your wife Glenn.
Gotta go out today and get some presents for Allegras birthday that is next week. She will be 5 Time flies when you become an adult lol
Take care everyone,
Adrian
Old January 17th, 2019, 02:05 PM

Just found this on a local weather facebook page. Let's see how true it is, find where you are and see if it's correct or close, should be interesting.

-Black 40ºc+, orange/red 30ºc+, blue 0ºc, pink / purple -5ºc, brown -20ºc or lower.

Old January 17th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Always room for one more

Well that didn't take long. Didn't even see the doctor, one of the assistants took the stitches out. She said I don't have to do anything now. Just let it be. Yay.

Well Happy Birthday to Allegra. I remember when she was born. That's a profound statement, Adrian. When I was but a wee one, I would tell my Mom that school, waiting for vacation, what have you, would never end. It will never get here. She said, don't rush things. Time goes faster when you get older. Boy if that ain't an understatement.

Well the pork chops are thawed and calling my name. Now if I only had some apple sauce.
Old January 17th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Afternoon Guys:
We got home about and hour ago. Everything went perfect. The surgeon is the neatest doctor I have ever met. He is just neat guy and very highly respected. He is one of the premier robotic surgeons and teaches other in the process. He told us about the robot this morning. It cost $2 million and the hospital has three of them. We had never been to the hospital my wife was in and it could not have been better. All the staff was great. The best thing about the whole procedure is there was not sign of cancer. They sent the parts (a good car term) to the lab in the hospital and they test them on the spot. If there had been cancer it would have required additional surgery and they would have done it at that time. The send tissue off for a more detailed analysis but expect nothing. I slept on the fold out bed and only slept about 3-4 hours. I got up this morning and the right side of my lower back is killing me. It is usually the left side where I had the old injury. I don't need this right now.
Adrian, thanks for the video. That was exactly what the doctor described. Medical science is incredible.
Welcome Aron. For the rest of you, Aron and I are friends and are in the NTOC together where Aron is a long time member. One of the things we share in common is that both of our first cars were 1940 Ford sedans. Aron is a good guy and has lots of stories and will fit in well with this group.
Glenn
Old January 17th, 2019, 03:32 PM

Great news Glenn,
Old January 17th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Oh no, not again...

Great to hear, Glenn!

Welcome, Aron! Sorry to hear you had a stroke; - hopefully you recover all right.

Jamesbo, I had to laugh at the snowman, ain't karma a b---h! I've always wanted to smash a snowman like that, but always wondered if someone would do just that, build it around something. A buddy of mine fixed the County and it's grader a few years ago; the grader would come by and clip his mailbox into the ditch every time it drove by clearing snow. He notified the County, sent them bills, and got fined for not having an acceptable mailbox. Each time he fixed it, they'd destroy it. So the next summer, he sunk in a 12 ft section of drill pipe filled with concrete and welded his mailbox to that. The grader came by after the first big snowfall, and there was a loud bang as it was spun around, the blade was busted off, and the ***-end was sticking out of the ditch it had landed in. Went from 50mph to a dead stop inside a second. The operator was badly shaken up, but not hurt too badly, the grader was a write off, and the mail box is still there to this day. Lawsuits and possible criminal action was threatened, the RCMP got involved, and the County came out and took measurements and found that the mailbox was located at the correct distance from the road, so they had no legal leg to stand on. It was the grader operator's last day on the job.

Allan, hope you're staying warm. About the only advantage to the weird weather we've been having is the fact you could probably use your neighbor's driveway to curl on. The ice layer that's underneath everything is nasty. We have a transplanted Aussie as a "site leader" at our plant who's never seen snow before except as a tourist. We've had a nasty spate of slips and falls lately which are threatening our safety record. He's of the impression that it's purely behaviorally motivated and can be corrected by a sanctimonious sermon from the Mount with regards to walking properly. And of course, we being good Canadians, we sat there and listened politely as this guy made a bit of a spectacle of himself.

Mike, Pork chops and apple sauce? Yeah, not bad, you've given me an idea.

Adrian, yes, the map is accurate, we're at the bottom end of the brown area in Alberta. It's -20 C right now. I'm still waiting for climate change to affect us here, I figure a little bit more warmth couldn't hurt us here, but so far it hasn't materialized. If anything, the winters are getting longer again.

So today I had an interesting commute home. I have a 2001 Buick LeSabre as a winter beater, and like most modern GM products, the wheels don't like holding air. Most manufacturers figured out the mystery of the tubeless tire back in the 50s, but GM forgot it. Anyway, after a quick cursory glance at the tires in the dark, and I set off from the plant. The air compressor in the back (load leveler) wasn't shutting off, and that's usually an indication that I had a low tire. But it didn't look bad, or so I thought. So, I get moving, the car feels sluggish, and the tires feel square. I figure it'll go away, but it doesn't. Don't hear anything because the heater is on full blast. I get out on the highway, accelerate to 45 mph, and the car feels horrible. And then I start hearing something; turn off the heater, and sure enough, there's that "whoop-whoop" of a bad tire. Well, I'm thinking, like hell I'm going to go and put a spare on it in this weather, so I turn into the next intersection and head towards a tire shop, a Fountain Tire. I get there, they get me right in, and long story short, I'm out $150 and I have a new tire. The old one was completely shot and wasn't salvageable. Kudos to them for getting me in and out within a 1/2 hour. I'm going to go back there and buy my next set of tires for that car through them. Now hopefully I won't have to worry about it for the rest of the winter.

Anyway...I've had enough excitement for today, hopefully I won't burn the house down trying to cook something. Have a good night and stay warm!
Old January 17th, 2019, 09:27 PM

Jamesbo, serves them right. Driving onto someone else's property because you don't like their snowman. Adrian, that's just rude posting a multi colored map for a color blind guy to ponder over. I think that I am in the pink, blue, purple zone. I know that I'm in Michigan, it's just the colors may not be accurate.
Old January 18th, 2019, 05:26 AM

mawn'in

Misting a might
Got a ()()^(*&_)(* busted fence post, which are a PITA to replace cause the 8' sections are made of of staggered 16' boards. Gotta remove alot jes fer one post

After I do some fence mending, I'm headed norte

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 18th, 2019, 05:57 AM

Morning,Glories! Still figurein' it out. Nope, wasn't Dr who disallowed, was sweet wife, Juju. When I do get out, she's behind the wheel.
Insanely slow progress. although I do see progress daily. Just not quick enough. That includes typing, by the way. Thanks muchly for the warm welcome(s)! Exciting day planned, self therapy and ;ion tv. Whooppeee!
Old January 18th, 2019, 06:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Another morning started out with the furnace running like a freight train. Bill Murray knows what it means (Ground Hog Day) It's cold out there campers! And just for good measure it's snowing again. Gaahhhh! Good thing the car is plugged in; but I suspect the commute will be a bit different on the Henday and Whitemud this mawnin.

Glenn - Good to hear everything went well, and that the doctor was professional and understanding.

Jim - Dats zactly why I went wit 10' boards on my fence. No overlaps. Much easier to werk wit. BTW, you use screws or nails to fasten? I went wit screws cuz they're much easier to werk wit both ways.

Mike - so everything is back to normal? Strange that you can't get the stove to vent. Even an open window should give it the draw it needs to work properly. Have you ever had the chimney cleaned?

Marc - Huh??? My 98 had the load level system (for the rear) but that compressor is in the engine compartment and has absolutely nothing to do with the tire inflation. You have me wondering WTH??? Fountain Tire?? Well good for them. I used em and I'll never go back. They had 3 tries at balancing my winter tires and 3 times they screwed up badly. Also when I asked about some other work, their prices made me think I had to rob a bank to pay em. I won't go back there again. For tires I'll stick with Costco. Man it's so cold here one of the valve stems on my Sonata froze. I'd been meaning to check the tire pressure as I know the LF is prone to losing air. Last time I checked was in November and it was down to 20 psi. I checked the RF and it was down only 2 psi and a easy top off. The LF? The reading was the tank pressure because the valve was stuck shut. I tried to release it by pushing in the stem but no luck. Pulled the Saturn out of the garage and put the Sonata in. The garage is only -4 so that helps a bit. I figured the only way to release the valve was with heat so I fired up my directional propane heater and positioned it about 12" away to warm the valve. Took about 5 minutes and then it released. The gauge said it was down to 24 psi. Topped the tire up to 30 psi and it should be good to go. Interesting enough I didn't feel the car pull to the left in normal driving or hiway. What tipped me off is the amount of fuel mileage I was down to. Only 10.7km/100 instead of the normal 9.8km/100.

Off to the Saville in another hour. Time to pray to the curling Gods.
Old January 18th, 2019, 09:44 AM

Not much going on here. Allan, is that compressor under the hood for the load leveler rear shocks? My '79 Toro had that, and the compressor was under the hood. My 1990 Lincoln Continental had a system with air bags at all four corners. What a nightmare, I had that car from 1994-2000, it was a money pit. It was $2500 to replace the bags which were part of the strut set up. I had a local garage pull a set out of a junkyard to replace the rears, which were the ones going bad. Cost me $350 installed. They held up until I traded the car in a couple of years later. Supposed to get down to 0° this weekend/overnight. I may try to get a pic of the "Blood Red Wolf Moon", if it isn't cloudy along the lakeshore.
Old January 18th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The long week of training is over. Funny, part of my training was training another guy who's going to be there next week. Since there's only four days next week and we need 40 hours of training, the two new guys came over today. One of the regular guys took off, so it was just the one guy running back and forth between the two machines keeping track of us and setting us straight on some things. He said we did a good job teaching and the new guys were quick studies. I go back to the cushy desk job next week.

Allan instead of looking like a tough guy I just look like I got beat up. But I'd say everything is normal considering I don't have to do any extra care. I've had this trouble with the stove before. I think it's just the weather. The stack doesn't stick too far above the roofline, so there isn't always a lot of draw. I clean the chimney every spring after I'm done with the burning for the season.

Marc hope your pork chops and apple sauce were swell.

Jamesbo good luck with the fence mending. I use screws in everything I put together. I understand that a house that was put together with screws would fall down in an earthquake. Nails flex a little and screws just break.

Aron when I was growing up TV was my babysitter. Such that even today, if I sit down in front of the TV at 10 in the morning, I won't have budged at 6 at night.

Glenn so glad things went well with your wife. Any chance this will help her back at all?

Okay gonna get ready to hit the road. I told Mom I'd be there late, and I figure if I leave at 5 I'll be there by 10. I certainly hope I can leave by 5. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old January 18th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Always room for one more

Old January 18th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well the curling Gods didn't come through. And of course we had a new guy spare for Carl. The new guy - John - was a complete disaster. Not one of his rocks was of any use and Norm took full advantage of it. Worst loss of the season. I pulled the Mercy card at the end of the 4th end. When something is as hopeless as this particular game I don't need to keep hitting myself in the head with a 2x4 to know when to quit.

I was not impressed with my son this morning. Last night when he came home he unplugged my car and plugged his in with my block heater cord. I didn't find out till I went out this morning to unbury the Sonata. I left him a text that I was a little upset by what he did.
Old January 18th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Always room for one more

That's an easy one. Take son's (now warm) car to curling and he can hoof it to the bus stop. Maybe he thought he'd be leaving before you and he'd plug your car back in when he left.

Here's something I hadn't thought about in years. Back in the day I installed a heater in the lower radiator hose of the green Oldsmobile. I had another car so the beat up and rusty car spent one whole winter in the garage, plugged in. I don't know why because I didn't drive it for months. Anyway, come spring the car was ice cold. Apparently that heater kicked a$$, because I had installed it with the plug going into the heater on the top of the heater, and it roasted the plug and the whole thing was melted into a glob over the top of the heater. I'm lucky I didn't burn up the car along with the garage.

That car, I tell you what. I treated it with kid gloves. Washed it every weekend, waxed the paint that looked like alligator skin, all the chrome had pits but it shined like false teeth right out of Efferdent. I bought this car in high school, and I still have it. It sits on the side of the house with a cover over it, because a tree fell on it and smashed it flat. Eh, I'll get to it...

Didn't I say I needed to get ready to go?
Old January 18th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nope, that's not it Mike. He knew that I would leave early and he doesn't work till 11:30. This was plain and simple a brain fart. When I'm not using my car I told him he could unplug mine and use my cord. I don't have the power turned on to the car when I'm not using it. Power is switched from inside the house for my convenience. The Sonata started up with no issues, but I still would have preferred it to have had the heater on. I watch the tach to see where it's sweet spot is on the highway. Normally the transmission warms up enough to drop the tach about 300 rpm about 5 miles into the hiway run. Today it took almost 7. I did notice that the rpms were lower today (by about 100) after filling up that low pressure tire. Amazing how much it affects fuel economy.

Have a safe trip to FL and enjoy the time with your Mom. You taking the dogmobile and Tiger?
Old January 18th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Always room for one more

Okay. Ready to go and it's before 5. But not much. Yep Tiger is going with me. I had planned on taking the Cruze and trading it for something better for my Mom, but I'm going to wait until next month. And since Monday is a holiday Tiger would have to stay in jail an extra day so he's going and we're not going to be in a hurry.

I went next door to talk to my neighbor. He had some shoot em up movie on then switched to the news. I said I had to go. It will be after 5 by the time I get on the highway. Should be an easy trip, and I can go to bed as soon as I get there. I just talked to my sister and she wants me to help her with the TV tomorrow.

Okay have a good weekend everyone see you's sometime.
Old January 18th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Oh no, not again...

Allan, the compressor is for the load leveling shocks in the rear. When one tire is low, it tries to compensate by driving up the low corner. Of course we're just talking about an inch or so, not much. But when a tire is pretty much flat, that's all it needs to run constantly. Today it only came on once. The compressor is located up somewhere in a rear fender near the tank somewhere, a nice convenient place so that if replacement became an issue you pretty much have to take the whole car apart to get at it. The shocks in the car are fairly new, I had to get them from Rock Auto because they aren't available in Canada. They were cheaper coming out of the US than the supposed Canadian non-air shock "replacements" were.
I went to Fountain Tire in Fort Saskatchewan. Each Fountain Tire is different; yes, I've had some lousy experiences with some in the city too. The one here in the Park leaves something to be desired too. In all honesty I haven't found an automotive shop of any repute around here, and so to actually come away from one without getting hosed and where they were friendly and helpful was a big bonus. I never had any luck at Costco, it always seems they were sold out on my size or never had any time except in the middle of a workday to do it.

Mike, the pork chops and applesauce was great, thanks for the idea. Take care and have a safe trip.

Jamesbo, What's with you Americans and building fences or walls ...(sorry, I just had to, nothing personal intended...the temptation was irresistible!)

Aron, improvement is good; every day is getting better and you put the bad one more day behind you.

Well, it's cold and crappy out, like Allan said, nothing but white fluffy crap falling all around; seems I get my driveway cleared off and another front moves through. Just going to sit inside and build a few watches this weekend, I have two higher end wrist watches to tackle and hopefully set right again. No point in looking outside, it's just cold and dark, as bloody usual. Unlike Allan, who at least has one thing to do in winter that he likes, (ok, maybe not today after reading through the trials and tribulations) I honestly can't say one positive thing about winter, except that I positively hate it!

Have a good evening!
Old January 18th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Marc - The load level compressor in my 95 Regency Elite was in the front left side of the engine compartment. I also had to get replacement rear shocks but my mechanic at the time got me a smokin deal from a supplier in Canada. Turns out the reason they weren't pumping up was 1) the compressor piston was seized and he fixed that, and 2) the shocks were shot. After that I could haul around even fat porkers in the back seat and never bottom out. I'm really surprised that Buick put the compressor in the trunk. That makes no sense at all. I guess I have a bit of an advantage over you for Costco. I LOVE going mid day. That's when it's never busy and I'm in/out from the tire shop in less than 1/2 hour most times. They have a great selection of tires for the Malibu, Sonata, Saturn and the Olds. Best prices and warranties too. My sister bought some tires for her blue oval. After 2 years one of the tires separated and needed replacing. They said they couldn't get that tire anymore so they simply replaced all 4 at no charge to her. I call that stellar performance. The tires on the Sonata I got from Crappy Tire back in 2010, not realizing they were already 2 years on the shelf when I bought them. Buggers! So the past year and a half I've not changed them. Drove them all last winter, past summer, this winter and I'll run them next summer too. In the fall I'll book the car in and have them install some new Blizzak WS80's. These Goodyear Artic radials are REALLY noisy and they're crap for rolling resistance. They are good in deep snow though. Spoda warm up this weekend bud. Have fun with the watch build. In case you're interested (hahahahahaha) the Continental Cup of Curling from Lost Wages NV is on TSN now and this weekend. North America vs The World. Currently World is kicking butt winning 11-4 in the race to 30.

Aron - As long as the sweet woman is willing to be your chauffeur take advantage of it. My missus can drive her own car but what does she say when she wants to go out anywhere? "Is the car started yet"? I sometimes wonder why we bother to keep her car around when it literally turns less than 1000 miles a year. I don't mind taking her but I also don't like paying insurance on a car that takes up my garage space and forces me to park outside.
Old January 19th, 2019, 07:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

not much new since last night. Except that team NA lost 2 games and is now down 13.5 to 4.5. Surprise surprise surprise - Shuster gets beat by Niklas Edin! That's only the second time in 9 games. Gushue matches Mouat for the 1/2 point, and Koe loses to loses to Cruze. This looks bad for team NA.
Old January 19th, 2019, 10:37 AM

Morning all, currently 19 degrees with an expected high of 35 today. Back to work this morning.
Glad all went well with your wife Glenn.
Have fun up north Jim.
I'm sure there was a reason he unplugged your car Allan, even if it is as you say "a brain fart"
Have a safe trip to Florida Mike.
Take it easy Aron and enjoy the scenery while you can. You miss a hell of a lot when your driving as I'm sure you know
Off to work I guess, take it easy everybody,
Adrian
Old January 19th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Adrian, God awful temps forecast for ya mate. I don't wish that on anyone. Yeah, he totally forgot that I curled on Friday. In fairness, I told him (not on curling days of course) that he could unplug my car and use the block heater cord that was already out instead of plugging in a second one. We chatted about it and it's sorted now. Hard to really get upset with my only child. Weird that I still think of him as my kid when he's 24. I wonder if that ever changes. Something tells me no.
Old January 19th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not a bad trip down yesterday, got here about 1030. About half way through Alabama I sat in 30 minutes of accident traffic, then decided I should get off at the gas station and fill up and grab a bite. Well, everyone in traffic decided the same thing. What a mess.

Got my project started and am waiting on compound to dry. I had no idea a bathroom would have so much damage on the walls. I probably won't finish this trip, but that's okay. It's the spare bathroom that only I use so really no one will be the wiser.

I had a Mercedes W123 wagon once. Its big thing was air suspension in the back. It worked so well that most owners replaced it with standard shocks. Mine actually worked good. There was a leak somewhere and the rear end would sag over night, but when started it would pump up and function correctly. That was about the only good thing about that car, and maybe the $2500 transmission I had to put in it.

Gonna go to my sister's for a little bit. We're probably all going out for dinner tonight so that will be good. Maybe I'll pop in later because Mom likes to watch incredibly boring things on TV in the evening. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Search this Thread