The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2018, 12:40 PM

It's been a "dank " day [ southern for cold wet and miserable] So, I fixed me up a big pot of Brunswick stew.

1 cooked to death and shredded Boston Butt
1 cooked and shredded chicken
1 diced large onion
1 can diced tomatoes,
2 small cans Shoepeg corn
A poop of Worcestershire sauce
A few splashes of BBQ sauce
A little chicken stock for making it a stew

Gonna fry up some hoe cakes and sit down and eat a meal that would make ya slap yo mama/ Try it, If this isn't good grits ain't groceries
Old December 28th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Didn't sleep a lick last night, so I texted the lead around 5 and said I was staying home. I'd love to make tomorrow for overtime but it isn't looking like that's going to happen. I've slept most of the day. I haven't been sick in years, this really sucks.

Glenn great minds think alike. I did take a picture of that. Make no bones, I don't feel intimidated or afraid or anything like that. It just made me mad. I'd call it harassment over bullying but maybe its tomato tomahto.

That being said, I'm sorry you guys if I sounded like a whiny little girl. I know people have real problems. Despite these morons at work I have a pretty good gig. I hate to see anyone lose their job, but I wouldn't hate to see one or two of them boosted out to the hangar.

My neighbor just called and said he wants me to eat over there tonight. This is one of the very few times I will tag out. I haven't gotten dressed at all and I still feel lousy. Now, being sick really really sucks.

Okay dreary and rainy, gonna go back to bed. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old December 29th, 2018, 12:13 AM

Good morning everyone.

Year ends soon, then its already 2019. Felt like a long year. Which is good i quess Friend got out of breathing machine few days ago. We all hope he could get to condition where he could move back to his own house on lake. His other brother is neighbour there, so he could help on small things.
Yesterday i spend merrily filing 32 piston rings. That was something i wasnt looking. Thank god they are done now. Machinery re-opens 7th of Jun, then ill deliver my block and crank to round 2.. Did some measuring, i have 0,5:1 difference on compression between cylinders since both decks are decked to angle.. Oh well..

Nailheadcanuck - What 303? Peugeot? That book youre reading is really good, its on my collection. I should start now reading Donohue's Unfair advantage. I hate IKEA......

Allan R - How did the last game go? Win?

Jamesbo - That stew sounds delicious! Were gonna make some beefs at wooden stove today

Okay, have a nice day everyone!
Old December 29th, 2018, 06:22 AM

mawn'in

Well with all this rain we had a few graves sink mite so before the monsoons begin again, I'd better level them out

Mike, I hope ya get to feeling better

I think everyone thinks I'm a coke head cause I have the sniffles from November til March

Inline, Here;s hoping for your friend to have a full recovery/ I think ya need to try the stew, I've never had one of my recipes travel across the pond

Have a great day Olds friends

Old December 29th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Thanks Jamesbo I feel worlds better today. Aside from sleeping all day yesterday, I slept all night as well. Totally blew past my 2am wake up for overtime. I didn't care. I have my voice back, more energy, but need to do something about his cough that won't quit.

Beautiful day out. Sunny and warmish. I haven't been out of the house since I got back from the Post Office Thursday afternoon. Not even on the porch with Tiger. I need to hit Walmart as I'm out of critical things. Tiger has been having to make due with dry food only.

My neighbor called me later on in the evening and said my food was outside my front door. She had put together a dish with spaghetti and meatballs and brought it over. She didn't want to knock on the door and disturb me, so she had Tony call on the phone. They really take good care of me.

Okay off to Walmart. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old December 29th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Oh no, not again...

Snowy miserable day today, already shoveled twice. Went out to breakfast this morning and on the way home almost got side-swiped by some broa..ah, person, who wasn't paying attention and tried to do a lane change with a half-occluded mirror in a snowstorm Just flippin' brilliant. I hit the horn and she had to be an inch off my right fender when she pulled back and I'd already tried to slow down and was bouncing off the curb. She had the gall to just smile and wave as she noticed me...then she disappeared off the the right very quickly, almost cutting someone else off. It was pretty slick and I only have "all-season" tires on the LeSabre. Luckily the curb was all snow covered and icy so the car just bounced and didn't scuff the sidewalls out of the tires.

Jouni, - it's not a Peugeot, it's a 303 Olds V-8, the original Rocket and fore-runner of every Olds V-8 built. My 53 Olds has the original (and in original condition) 303 V-8. Looks like my avatar, - that's the 303 I built for my buddy who gave me this car. It's in his 53 Olds Super 88 hardtop which is currently getting painted.

Mike, I can empathize with the harassment and bullying issues; it's a fixture in most shops, we have the same issues up here and just fired a couple guys over it. Having been the brunt of some of the same for a number of years, I feel your pain; it's not a nice place to work. Hope they make examples of those idiots and fire them, no one deserves to get s--t on at work.

Jamesbo, - Gonna have to try that stew; sound delicious. Just one question, and it's only because I'm a dumb Canuck who hasn't got a clue of American idioms; WTF is a "Boston Butt?" I almost got thrown out of a Save-on today when I mentioned I was looking for one.

Allan, - Enjoying the weather yet? And yes, the streets are crap, see the note above. You'd like the Yellowhead, the whole thing was a curling rink.

Time to get some more leftovers ready... have a good evening!
Old December 29th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Evening everyone,
Well I had a nice post ready to go yesterday and then 'poof!" away it goes to the death throws of cyber space. Kept waiting for the autosave to come up so I could clik on it and restore it but it was snafu too. Gotta love technology huh?

Marc - Yup, same here. I just came in from the second shoveling. It came down quite heavy here in the north for several hours and we got an accumulation of close to 8cm. According to the weather peeps that didn't happen but I guess they didn't have to clean walks or cars... . I didn't have to go out other than that so I don't even want to guess what the streets are like. I'm guessing if it keeps up we might have another seasonal ban here. I don't trust All Season tires. They may be fine for summer, but I run winter ice radials on all 4 corners of our 3 cars. The Blizzak WS80 on the Malibu and the Goodyear Nordic on the Sonata/Saturn do a good job holding the road. Admittedly the bigger cars benefit more from them. Boston Butt is about the same as pork blade roast. I don't much care for it myself. Re: the Olds? I'd probably restomod it. And I wouldn't paint it either; just wet sand the patina and shoot some satin clear over it.

Jim - Jouni's friend isn't going to recover. He had a fatal brain hemorrhage.

Mike - I'm sorry to hear you have a skin cancer. Those F boys are plain ignorant A holes. How insensitive can they be? This isn't something to joke about and I don't blame you one bit for being pissed at them. Don't worry, Karma is a bitch and I'm sure she'll find a way to repay them. In the meantime, work on getting over that sickness.

Jouni - Silver medalist! Hows that? BTW when Sweden plays Denmark at anything, they abbreviate the teams as SWE and DEN, the leftover letters spell DEN and MARK. Cool huh? Sorry nothing like that for Finland. Why do you hate IKEA? They have a great 'Start the car' commercial.

Glenn - Hahaha, you can feel good about the gas mileage as much as you want. Rowlett TX has some of the cheapest gas in the country so it really shouldn't be too much of a dent at the pumps for you. In Canada fuel is pretty expensive for the most part, mostly due to taxes on it so I tend to be a bit more conservative with the amount of driving I still do. Although after conversion to $US and US gal, I did score a major windfall yesterday with my corporate gas card. Came out to $1.90/gal.

Well, cheeken in hot sauce for dinner with some salad and rice. Who could ask for more on a cold winter night?
Old December 30th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
It is very unusual for me to be the first one posting today. It is cold (mid 30's) and overcast here and supposed to rain this afternoon and tonight. Our downstairs heat is working intermittently and it is about 65 in the house. There is a problem with the fan. It will work when it feels like it. I will try but doubt I will get anybody out tomorrow. Thankfully we have a fireplace with gas logs. Just flip a switch and it comes on. Just another joy of home ownership.
Allan I noticed regular gas yesterday for $1.78/gallon. The E85 is about a nickel a gallon cheaper but no all stations have it. The trick to driving a big gas guzzler is to refuel at 1/4 tank. It holds 30 gallons so you don't ever want to let it get near empty. Too much sticker shock.
I think I am going to try Jim's recipe for Brunswick Stew today. Since my daughter can't eat pork and the grandsons won't, I will probably substitute a rump roast for the Boston butt. I don't know what it would be them. Maybe I will call it Rowlett Stew. I hope I am not desecrating your recipe.
Mike get well. Sounds like you have good neighbors.
That is about it for the morning guys. Have a good day.
Glenn

Last edited by redoldsman; December 30th, 2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old December 30th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Glenn you got the worm. Look at you.

Dismal here today as well. But it's over 50. Gonna be inside stuff today.

Just got back from the Awful house. Busy but not crowded. I just wasn't feeling it yesterday and Friday I was half dead. Hadn't been in in over a week. Everyone missed me. It's like Cheers.

Walmart, as usual, was a complete disaster. I must have been in safe mode because my head didn't explode nor did I start griping at people. Glad it's done with for a while.

Well, two more and it's the new year. Hope everyone is getting ready.
Old December 30th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Brrrr. It's cold outside campers. And it's friggin snowing - again....this is getting old in the tooth. With wind chill this morning it was a brisk -4°F. New years eve here is spoda get colder; closer to -35°F and there's talk about cancelling the outside festivities and having the fireworks early at 9:00 pm so even the kids can stay up and see it. I will be comfortably at home with the fireplace going and snuggling in my favorite fleece blanket...

Glenn - It seems like there's more stations selling E85 in the US than here in Canada. I've yet to see an E85 at the pumps. It's either 87, 89, 91 or 94 R+M here. The Malibu is a Flex fuel car so it could do anything. IDK what the margins are on gas there, but here they're supposedly quite tight. I notice the price for regular is close to 12¢/L less than mid grade and around 23¢ /L less than premium. Seems like lots of Valero, Sam's Club and other small chain sellers. We have only big oil here so there's not so much competition. So if you filled the Expedition at 1/4 tank you'd still take around 22 gallons. At $1.78/gal that's only $39 which is nothing. 2 days ago when I was filling the Sonata (lucky me it only took 7.5 gallons ( I needed it full as I was taking it into a car wash and I don't like condensation in the tank) the guy in front of me took a little over 20 gallons but he had a truck. Probably didn't fill it either as the price on his sale was $68.00 Big difference filling up here and there.

Mike - I went to Walmart 2 days ago. It was really quiet. The guy in the electronics section was really helpful and almost had me talked into a new cell phone till we found out that the only problem I was having with mine was a blocked sensor. Cleaned it off and it's back to full normal. Gotta say the new technology is really impressive. I looked at the Samsung S9 and Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. My other option was an LG G7. Tis the season to be frugal, fa la la la la etc.... So many people overspend at this time of year and take the next couple of months to recover. Not us.

Marc - Just when you thought it was over...more snow. I think this time can handle it with my leaf blower. I'm not going out driving today unless I absolutely have to. Fortunately my missus isn't that demanding and we're pretty well stocked up on most things. Just thought of another good couple of kit builders - Hasegawa and Monogam
Old December 30th, 2018, 10:41 AM

Good evening.

A day-trip to wifes parents was on order today. Thankfully its over now. Nothing wrong with them, just tired of constant visiting to here and there around christmas.

Some pizza and then to sleep.

Btw, regular gas is 6,35$/ US gal here currently, and its cheap now!
​​So you can all feel good even if you get single-digit numbers

Allan R - IKEA is like hell on earth for mens. Furnitures after furnitures between cheap crap stuff, and never-ending aisles which you must walk all through to get out. Not counting womens need to touch and look every one of those cheap crap items even they wouldnt have any means to even consider buying em.
Seems like your team did really well, congrats about silver! Next year maybe gold?

Nailheadcanuck - Ah, you were speaking about engine. I must have missed some earlier post, since i thought 303 was some marquees model. Any pics of the car?

Have a day all!
Old December 30th, 2018, 11:22 AM

Marc, Jes ax them fer a poke shoulder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_butt
Old December 30th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Allan:
My wife and I just got back from lunch at the diner and ran a couple errands. I filled the Expedition up with E85 which was $1.73/gallon. It was down to about 1/8th of a tank and took 25 gallon and was a little over $44.
Old December 30th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - I never let my car get below 1/2 especially in the winter. I don't like E85 as an option. I'm really glad we don't have that here. Just 87, 89 , 91 and 94. Our 87 is the least expensive fuel I can buy but I'd rather run that than E85.

Jouni - Well it looks like it's the battle of Finland and Canada at the Spengler Cup. Good players all the way around but you know I have to cheer for Canada.

Jim - how about pokin a tummy??? Love that Pillsbury doughboy.
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Oh no, not again...

Allan, I don't know about you, but I've had enough of this winter already. Two shovel sets again today. This morning the wife informs me that her sister and family are coming over and we have no milk or coffee cream. So guess who ends up trundling out and brushing off the car, shoveling up the driveway in the dark and then dumping yet another $60 at Save-on. It was just getting light out and that was at 9 AM. And then after that, they weren't drinking coffee or tea anyway, they wanted water. So it was a trip for nothing. Well, ok, maybe not; I was able to enjoy a nice cup of coffee anyway.

Jamesbo, thanks for the clarification. But I wish you could have seen the expression on the face of the teenage moron at the meat counter yesterday when I asked for some Boston Butt; - I really thought they'd call the cops and I'd end up in jail. It took some fast talking to get out of that one.

Mike, glad to hear you're feeling better. I hate Walmart and absolutely refuse to set foot in one. Then a couple of days ago, I found out they were the only place in town that had an ethnic European section in it and that they still sold Spaetzle. (A type of German egg noodle) So I had to go there. They had some other nice goodies including some jams and Marzipan confectioneries that come from my hometown of Luebeck. Now I hate Walmart even more.

Glenn; Man, you've got it good out there, warm and cheap gas...who could ask for anything more...We're the exact opposite; we're sitting on the cheapest oil in the world that nobody wants, it's cold here and we pay just about as much for gas as they do in Europe.

Jouni, There should be some pics in the vintage section or further back on this thread. It isn't very much to look at right now; it's complete but needs a fair bit of work.

One thing about this car; I don't know if any of you can appreciate it or whether it's just a case of delusions or dementia coming on but do you ever look at a car or start working with one and get a "read" on it's soul? Sure, a car is an inanimate object; a collection of parts and fluids that when properly assembled, work and do something. But over the course of my driving life I've owned, bought, sold, destroyed, or restored 37 cars, and each of them had a sort of "personality" that either worked with me to keep it alive or didn't. This car is a "fighter"; it wants to stay alive. It doesn't want to end up as a parts car or get crushed. It still runs when it probably shouldn't, and it responded to parts applied in a very positive fashion. Yeah, I know this is weird, and you probably have figured by now that the cold and snow has addled the brain, and you might be right, but every car I've owned has had some personality quirk that shouldn't be there and defies the laws of physics or mechanics.
Anyway, bottom line is that there might be more to mechanics than just assembling parts or tuning. Why is it that 2 cars off the assembly line can be so different in the way they run and work and last, even thought they were assembled from the same batch of parts by the same people? One of those mysteries in life, just like how do flies land on ceilings.

Anyway, I'll stop there...Have a good evening!
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Marc - Yes sir, I'm ready to kick Winter's butt and enjoy some warmer weather. Bring it on! I hear you on the car's personality. Strange as it seems I also 'sense' what a car is doing or wanting. It's not something I can put into words, but rather a 'feeling' I get when I'm driving or working on it. So yes, I understand what you mean. I think a lot of car guys do. Hahahaha, what's not to hate about Walmart? But when they have what you want or need......
Old December 30th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Always room for one more

I suppose I shouldn't, but I really get a kick out of the winter snow shoveling stories. Maybe because it hits close to home. I grew up not real far from Lake Michigan, and it seemed that every time it snowed, we got "lake effect" which about tripled what we normally would have gotten. I remember many days of shoveling multiple times in a day. It got to where I ran out of places to put the snow.

There was a long time where I couldn't even fill up my pickup all the way because the pump would shut off at $100. At 34 gallons, I'd need a small loan each time I needed to fill up.

Marc I agree whole-heartedly about a car and its personality. They just give a feeling you learn to read. Or, sometimes, the movies that get made in jest are really documentaries.
Old December 31st, 2018, 04:04 AM

mawn'in

Speaking if food, [to my neighbors in the frozen norte] In the south, It's a new years day tradition to serve, Turnip greens [with pot licker], black eyed peas [ I like mine covered in chow chow], poke and corn bread [ in my case Hoe cakes] It brings ya luck and money for the whole new year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_liquor

Mike, Remember when we all went to Mary Mac's and they gave everyone a sample of Pot licker and Sandy asked me what the heck she was tasting

So, I need to start soaking my peas today

Old December 31st, 2018, 09:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni - Congratulations to Finland on their Spengler Cup win. Tight game went to Shoot out.
Old December 31st, 2018, 10:27 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone Happy New Year.

Jamesbo I guess that's why I never have any money, I don't eat greens. We should go to that place again.

Lollygagged the morning away. Got up around 5 for Tiger and then couldn't get back to sleep. So of course as soon as it started getting light out he wanted to go out all the time. Finally decided to get up around 930. Stopped at the vet on the way to the Awful house. Sometimes Tiger thinks I have too much money. Actually he had picked up a rash of some sort, like he did before, and needed some medicine.

Dreary out, but not raining right now. I think I'll putter around a little bit and make sure I'm in early tonight. Before the neighbors start shooting their guns into the air.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old December 31st, 2018, 02:11 PM

Happy new year everyone!

Its 2019 now, dont live in the past!
Old December 31st, 2018, 02:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Happy New Year Jouni. I like living in the past, it's why I love my Oldsmobile....
Old December 31st, 2018, 04:46 PM
Always room for one more

So we went back out this afternoon to run a couple errands, and on the way home drove past my old house on the other side of the lake. My beloved Max is buried in the back yard and I think to myself that I'm looking after him. So we drive past and there's a new mailbox, with my old one laying on the ground. Hm, I thought. I lived in the house for 5 years, and replaced the mailbox 7 times. The last one was welded steel tubing, set in concrete, with a standard size mailbox in concrete inside the large box. I think I used 500 pounds of cement mix all together. It would get all scratched up and there were things like broken bottles and bricks on the ground all the time from people trying to bust it up. The new flimsy one isn't going to last a month. I think I'll keep driving past and see how long it stays. Silly people.

Heard some fireworks start up around 530 tonight, and gunshots that I could hear around 7. We're in for the night. If Tiger wants to go out he'll need a vest and hardhat. The rednecks shoot real bullets randomly up in the air. Brilliant.

One of the favorite morning servers at Awful house we think is getting fired. She's off MTW and the manager called her and said if she didn't come in tomorrow she's let go. She said she's not going in. We'll see if the manager is bluffing. If he ain't he's going to start a firestorm he can't contain I'm pretty sure.

Okay see ya.
Old December 31st, 2018, 05:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening and Happy New Year my Olds Friends:
I made a bastardized version of Jim's Brunswick Strew today. I cooked the chicken in a stock pot yesterday and put the rump roast in the crock pot last night and let it cook on low all night. It really shredded up nicely. I used the broth from both the chicken and roast and then the chicken stock. Our son and daughter-in-law are coming over tomorrow. So we will have the stew, our black eyed peas and my wife will make some cornbread. I will follow-up with a report.
Allan, I often say we can't live in the past but I sure do like to visit there. To me that is what old cars are all about. I bought me an I Like Ike button to display with my 54.
I hope all you guys have a Happy New Year and 2019 is good to all of us.
Glenn
Old December 31st, 2018, 09:28 PM
Oh no, not again...

Happy New Year to all of you!

Not much going on, don't think I'm going to make it to midnight. Busy writing another article for the coin magazine. I've had about as much of the 18th century as I'm going to handle tonight, so it's time to put it down. So there. that's my living in the past, I do it constantly, if anything, I'm all about the past. My office is a museum, the newest thing in here is the computer and it's already 2 revolutions out of date.

Glenn, you're right; the past is the one place no one can ever go to, but it is sure fun to visit.

So what does the future hold? I wish I could say... but then it would be the past if I could...
But here's wishing you all the Best for 2019!
Old January 1st, 2019, 02:39 AM

Happy New year

Once again to my friends in the snow belt, Glenn's stew is Texas style. In Texas BBQ is beef, in Gawga it's poke, in North Carolina their sauce is a mustard base, ours is a tomato base. Vive la difference Like most old recipes there are a few thousand variations

Glenn, Let me know how it came out

Mike, Up here [because there are so many horse farms] the city has really cracked down on fire werks. There's sum kinda religious festival [ a few weeks ago] that I heard a few . It might of been Indian [dot not feather] not real sure but because it was religious, they didn't say much. Anyway, there are signs up on sum of the major roads " Fire works scare horses to death"

Gotta get cooking
Have a great year Olds friends
Old January 1st, 2019, 07:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning and Happy New Year everyone.

Quiet as a churchmouse here right now. I woke up at around 1:00 am so I went downstairs to wish the missus and my son a HNY. Couldn't get back to sleep for close to an hour.

Nothing special planned for today. The new year is already pissing me off with another offering of white stuff.

Jim - no bruswick stew here. I might make jambalaya instead.
Old January 1st, 2019, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Jim - no bruswick stew here. I might make jambalaya instead.
They probably make it with moose up there
Old January 1st, 2019, 08:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well, almost 12 hours in and things are status quo. Word was at the Awful house this morning our server won't get fired because the manager failed to put her on the schedule. So I don't know who called and gave her the ultimatum.

No bullet holes on the cars that I can see, everything seems undisturbed. It was funny, I was talking on the phone at midnight and of course all the fireworks and guns went off and kept going, but then about ten minutes later everything stopped abruptly. Didn't think much about it until I saw it was raining. Hm. Usually that stuff goes on for a good couple hours after midnight.

This morning when I got up it was foggy, and when I was ready to leave it was sunny. Not sunny now. It really needs to dry up so I can get some work done on the car. Maybe before the week is out.

Okay gonna go find something to do. Hope everyone has a great year. I'm expecting great things.
Old January 1st, 2019, 10:03 AM
Oh no, not again...

Good Morning!
Pretty quiet around here too; - not much happening. They had the fireworks and all the public stuff on early so as to be "family friendly", so they fired everything off by 9:00 PM. Looking out at the streets at midnight it was like a veritable ghost town, nothing was going on at all.

(Begin rant) I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting sick of this "family friendly" crap; toning things down, de-alcoholizing and running things earlier and dragging in some clowns or face-painters so that the little angels will be enchanted. Leave 'em at home in front of a TV! They can wait like we all had to! Besides, when I was a kid, it was always fun to watch my parent's raucous New Year's parties from a distance, I learned so much about real life that way by overhearing things I shouldn't have. Is it just me or were the late 60s, early 70s a heck of a lot more fun? At least to be an adult? There seems to have been a lot more booze, easier sex if you were single, (as long as you didn't hit on someone's wife) you didn't have to worry about offending anyone, 'cuz if you did, you were likely to get popped in the face and the issue dealt with there and then, and no one seemed to have any problems with all of it. Oh sure, alcoholism and drunk driving were definitely problems, but statistically, the numbers haven't changed much, there are still just as many casualties now as there were then on our roads. And no, I'm not condoning either, drunk driving or alcoholism, but as with anything, there are usually no problems as long as common sense and moderation prevail. The whole point of this is that it just doesn't seem to be fun around here anymore, and last night was case in point. The only people went and watched 10 minutes worth of fireworks were the families, no one else went and the place was cleared out 1/2 hour later. (end rant)

I'll have to get out there and shovel off that skiff of snow that landed last night; - just enough to cover the driveway and the car. Watch, I'll clear it off again and it'll start snowing again. I'm convinced someone somewhere does not like it when cars and driveways are clear of that white crap.

Other than that. gonna take it easy; more or less have to, my back is in a state of spasm and I can hardly walk to begin with. Tried to get into the chiropractor yesterday but they shut up early. Earliest I can get in now is tomorrow. It seems this sort of thing always happens around Christmas; somehow the back locks up, won't release, and I spend most of the Christmas season on horse tranquilizers and in agony. Maybe it's that same someone who hates the clear driveways who also derives great pleasure out of ensuring I remain in agony. There's no logical explanation for it otherwise. My luck I guess.

Might try that stew tonight...

Have a great day, and all the best for New Year's.
Old January 1st, 2019, 10:37 AM

The new year is upon us. Same o' same o'.
That's a lot of stew! Gonna put a bird feeder up today, and watch football. Not much else going on. Marc, I know what you mean, everything is sanitized to the enth degree. We talk about stuff from back in the day that would have merely gotten us a scolding by the police, now, you'll get arrested and be classified as a terrorist.
Old January 1st, 2019, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Nope, jess use fresh or old roadkill. Werks like a charm Jess hafta boil de oi roadkill longer to git it less stringy and ruff... Anything goes - coyote, rabbit, deer, not very offen we git roadkill moose here.
Old January 1st, 2019, 02:29 PM

Aint ya'll glad I'm around to tell it like it is without PC ness
Old January 1st, 2019, 03:54 PM
Oh no, not again...

Originally Posted by Allan R
Nope, jess use fresh or old roadkill. Werks like a charm Jess hafta boil de oi roadkill longer to git it less stringy and ruff... Anything goes - coyote, rabbit, deer, not very offen we git roadkill moose here.
I just about nailed a moose with a 1946 Buick. It was dark and I had just gotten it up to 55 mph, - and then I caught a glimpse of 3 white socks in motion in the headlights up ahead and hammered on the brakes, locking them up. Car almost went sideways, squealing rubber. The damn moose just stood there, admiring the car. Guess she'd never seen anything like it before, something with bigger teeth and uglier than she was. She crossed the road, and good thing I was smart enough (scared enough) to wait, because sure enough, there came the calf.
Old January 1st, 2019, 06:14 PM
Always room for one more

Turned out to be a nice day. A little blue sky and a little sunshine, a nice change. Went to the shop and looked around. Tried to get the white DUKW started and had no luck. All the wiring under the hood is old and poor, and I think the damp conditions were the problem. So instead of draining the battery cranking it endlessly, like I usually do, I aborted. Took the Deuce for a ride instead. Maybe drove three miles. When I got back I could hardly walk. I think I mentioned before that I'm having trouble with my left hip. That clutch is heavy as can be and even on level ground you're shifting constantly. If I were really, really into those trucks I'd sell mine and buy an A3, they are automatic. Sort of detracts from the whole package, though.

I've been watching Randy Neuman's video I Love LA and now I want a big Buick to ride around in. Doesn't have to be a convertible but the redhead would definitely work. Moose are certainly not a problem in these parts. Deer probably, I tell people that where I'm from we hunt deer with our cars. Lots of deer strikes up home.

Marc I agree whole heartedly about how things are being dumbed down so we all can get along easier. Reminds me of a camp leader that was interviewed. Some group wanted to replace the Cub Scout's matches with benign, non-burning lights to simulate camp fires. What, do you want the boys to burn themselves? The camp lead said, a little.

Think I'll go to bed a little earlier tonight and not sleep so late tomorrow. That truck just wore me out today. This being off sure is nice. I should take a week off every month.

Have a good night everyone.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 04:59 AM

Good Morning and Happy New Year! Last Saturday I was watching Good Morning on CBS. A really neat story came on about a US Navy ship coming back from a overseas deployment. The point of the story was about how the family also suffers when the sailor leaves for 6 months or so. I can relate as I was in the Navy- though I was single. Anyway the twist of the story was it featured a woman sailor's family and her husband at home caring for 3 kids, really a neat story until the next segment. I finally turned off the TV and started a huge rant yelling to my poor wife as I witnessed on nationwide TV 2 males kissing on the lips- one in US Navy dress blues! Ok enough of that....Changing subject quickly....
We had a New Years party at our new house. We thought we would have 30 people or so but the combination of icy roads and influenza made it a small party, but still a lot of fun. It seems the sun never comes out since we moved. I think there has been 3 sunny days in the 2 month we've been here.
Have a great 2019 all!
Old January 2nd, 2019, 05:58 AM

mawn'in

Headed to town to break bread with a college chum for his birthday, Gonna chow down on sum mud puppies

Greg, I'm no fan of Hanoi Jane [ In fact I wish she would become the sex toy of a Greek infantry battalion] but for 70 she still looks good. You've obviously missed her new series with Lilly Tomlin "Frankie and Grace. Pretty disgusting theme but well written and funny. Lilly IMHO is a stitch

We've come a long way since "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" was controversial

Allan, Speaking of road kill. Do y'all have possums up there? Down ere when the get hit and dry out in the road, they make excellent Frisbee

Old January 2nd, 2019, 08:55 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got up earlier this morning but haven't done a thing. Decided against the Awful house and have been watching Jay Leno's garage on youtube. Sun started to come out but now it's cloudy again.

Jamesbo have fun downtown. I haven't been anywhere near there in I don't know how long. I used to drive downtown Chicago just for the heck of it.

I read not long ago that possums were quiet critters and kept to themselves, and they fake death so others would leave them alone. There was a possum that lived under the porch at my other house and when I'd go out the back door he'd come out and hiss at me and run around the yard, nothing like its description. I guess he didn't read that article.

Okay gotta go find something to do. I should have gone to work today. Maybe not. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 08:57 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got up earlier this morning but haven't done a thing. Decided against the Awful house and have been watching Jay Leno's garage on youtube. Sun started to come out but now it's cloudy again.

Jamesbo have fun downtown. I haven't been anywhere near there in I don't know how long. I used to drive downtown Chicago just for the heck of it.

I read not long ago that possums were quiet critters and kept to themselves, and they fake death so others would leave them alone. There was a possum that lived under the porch at my other house and when I'd go out the back door he'd come out and hiss at me and run around the yard, nothing like its description. I guess he didn't read that article.

Okay gotta go find something to do. I should have gone to work today. Maybe not. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 09:04 AM
Always room for one more

No idea why that posted twice.

Bumming around the site I came across this. Miss seeing it.