The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old December 7th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Always room for one more

Well, she wouldn't be at home today! Sure it's 46* but it's a little breezy and it's raining. I may start up the stove early. Is the Saturn a stick shifter? Wish mine was. Maybe she wouldn't be bored if you taught her the game.

So it's Pearl Harbor Day. I haven't heard anything about it on the radio. The carrier my Dad was on in the 60s was ordered in 1943, for WWII, and was commissioned a week after the war was over. That was some good planning. Not many people left that remember those times.

Haven't done jack this afternoon. I'll probably go to bed early and go in for overtime tomorrow. Except it isn't for money, it's an opportunity for people without any time off left to make up some comp time so we can take Monday before Christmas off. I don't need the comp time but it doesn't expire so heck it's an extra day off. And it's going to rain all day tomorrow so it's not like I have a bunch of plans.

Tiger is out playing in the rain. He's nuts.
Old December 7th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Olds Friends:
I haven't really done very much today. It has and still is rainy and has been in the 40's all day. I did a little stuff in the office today getting ready for the NTOC Christmas Party on Sunday night. My wife and I went to Dalrock Diner for lunch which is one of our go to places. That is about it for the day. Most of my outside Christmas lights have tripped the GFI's and are not on. We will get started on the inside decorations tomorrow.
Mike, it is Pearl Harbor Day. I actually had a brother that was stillborn on the actual date and would have been my Mom and Dad's first child. I cannot imagine what they went through at that time. They never talked about it. Not much point in making a post on here about it since many of the people on here don't seem to give a damn about the military as evidenced by the poor responses I received from my post on Veterans Day. That is one of the reasons I only post on this thread anymore. I guess a lot of them think freedom is actually free.
Later Guys
Glenn

Last edited by redoldsman; December 7th, 2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Oh no, not again...

Pearl Harbour Day, - sorry, harbor.
I was on the Arizona Memorial at Pearl a long time ago, I guess thay don't allow anyone on it anymore because the ship is still sinking, or actually it's rusting away and has compromised the foundations of the Memorial.

Glenn, I think people care about the military just it's they don't give a damn for the governments anymore. Yes, this is a very different age, and the sad reality is that a lot of young men gave their lives for all of our freedoms and that are being undone one by one now. I'm not going to go into that discussion here, But I do study history, and what I'm seeing about this day and age draws a lot of parallels to other societies; - failed ones. Our society has made a lot of mistakes over the past 20 years that are getting incredibly difficult to undo, and I'll leave it at that.

Allan, I never met Adolf Galland. In one respect I wish I would have, but on the other, we wouldn't have had much in common except for a love of airplanes.
The movie "Battle of Britain" was filmed in 1969-70 and used converted Spanish-built Hispano-Aviacion Ha-1109 or 1112 models for the Bf-109, and the Heinkels were CASA 2.111s. All of those planes flew with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines. The Spanish airforce had mustered them out earlier in the year. In some cases, the Merlins improved their performance, but in crucial ways it hindered it. Most of those planes that the studio bought are still flying; - except for the Heinkels. The last flyable one crashed a few years ago killing its crew; - it belonged to the CAF and I had toured it earlier that summer. The reason it crashed was they lost an engine on take off, and the plane was built and trimmed for a set of props that rotated in the opposite direction of the Merlins that were on it, so it rolled over on its roof and crashed. Very sad, I had met the pilots and talked to them earlier that summer. They told me it was an absolute bear to fly, noisy and hot, and it trimmed and flew funny. They could get it to do things, but only because they had a lot of hours on it.

Mike, my grandfather told me that crews had figured out ways to do quick couplings and had special jigs made to do the job quickly. A good crew could swap out a set in under 3 hours. The problems started when other companies were contracted to build the engines under license or they used concentration camp labour to assemble them; then all bets were off, and soon there were very few flyable planes left. The engines were a lot smaller and lighter than the types you deal with.

Jim, cool that you actually got to meet Galland and Tuck. I would have loved to have met them. Did you get to talk to them, or was it a photo-op?

Well, that's about it for me tonight; time to kick up and take it easy...

Have a great evening!
Old December 8th, 2018, 05:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nope, not like that either Mike. She would be at home because she doesn't like wind and rain Wind gets in her ears and gives her bad headaches and colds.. The Saturn is AT; runs fine and only has 114K miles on it. She knows what the game is and understands the strategy but she doesn't want to be on the ice where it's cold. On the few times she did come with me she spent the whole time reading a book so no point asking anymore.

Marc - You sure do know a lot about the historical planes. You're right - we do appreciate the front line military.

Glenn - Are you using LED lights? If not that would really load up on your circuits. The LEDs use almost no power by comparison. That's sad to hear about your brother. It must have been very devastating to them. You and I know that freedom is not free; it's always got a cost and usually it's blood. I recently saw an article on my FB feed where students were asked where Pearl Harbor was, what day it was attacked, and what the historical significance was. Only the last 2 (who appeared to have some military attachment) knew the answer. I was shocked that it has been forgotten so quickly. It's not right, and I blame both the school system and the parents for that failure.

Gonna spend most of today catching up with the Canada Cup games on the PVR
Old December 8th, 2018, 07:05 AM

Came back from the mountains cause I didn't want to get iced in

My friend brought them both to Atlanta about 20 years ago ago to give a talk. I never went out to dinner with them,Just shook their hands and said Thanks, I enjoyed your presentation. Ironically they seemed to be very congenial to one another

I wish I could remember which CO member made the statement, " My uncle is still on the Arizona"

Have a great day Olds friends and Curl straight
Old December 8th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Been gone and home. I waffled back and forth about going in to work this morning, then about ten minutes before I would have had to get up anyway I woke up, so I went in to work. We cleaned. Not a bad gig and we left by 9. Stopped at the Awful house on the way home. If I would have stayed home I wouldn't be done at Awful house yet.

I was in grade school in the 70s and we talked about WWII and Pearl Harbor, not a lot, but it wasn't uncommon. I couldn't tell you why, the area wasn't overly military. Although, the town I grew up in, Park Forest, was a planned community built for the returning soldiers. At that point the war was -only- 30 years ago. I don't remember talking much about The Great War.

Jamesbo we're supposed to get rain down here all weekend, were you guys going to get ice up there for sure? Perhaps I should go get the pickup truck, in case it gets colder than it is. I don't have any plans to go anywhere before work Monday. Well, Awful house in the morning.

Marc quick disconnects and cannon plugs do save a lot of time. We used to be able to change an engine (not a 777) in less than two shifts, because we were professionals, and because we had incentive. When we finished we could go home. Changing an engine is hard work. Well, our crappy leads got to where they'd tell us it was a do and go, and then when we finished early we'd be assigned to another plane. So we threw out the anchor. I don't miss those days.

Well I need to find something to do around here. Inside of course. Maybe I'll just play with Tiger all day. I wouldn't mind. See you's all later.
Old December 8th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Always room for one more

So I sit here going through all the forums I belong to, look at Facebook, craigslist, etc, and here is something I read from a Corvair forum. It probably wouldn't have struck me except where this guy is from. I won't put his name so I don't have to get his permission. This is referring to December 7.

He is from the same town as Glenn. Is the whole town as patriotic as you two? I hope so. I go to a town every year that has tanks and equipment all around, lots of veteran-type organizations, lots of veterans.

It was a very sad day indeed.

What is even sadder is that I heard on the nightly news tonight that None of the few remaining survivors were able to make it to this years remembrance ceremony, the first time in history that a survivor was not present. There may never be another survivor at the remembrance in the future.

If you are fortunate enough to know a survivor please let them know how proud and thankful I am for their service.

Glenn if you know anyone with a Corvair it's probably this guy. Sounds like a good man.

I think I need to start up the stove. It feels rather chilly in here. Oh, did someone say chili?
Old December 8th, 2018, 08:40 PM
Oh no, not again...

Well, on another note, I picked up a nice watch today. It's an old English Verge-Fusee pocket watch. It's in beautiful shape and it's banging away happily on my desk. I'm happy because I don't have to do a thing to it, it's perfect. It doesn't hold time worth a damn, but who cares, they never did back then anyway. It's a high-end watch, made by a John Catchpool out of Dover. Apparently he's a "known" maker who only is listed for a couple of years; my watch has a serial number of 60 and it dates to 1800. I got a great deal on it, the coin dealer who had it didn't know what he was letting go. I asked him if he was happy with the deal, he said yes, he's making money, and I said fine. But it's not every day that you get a working and highly collectible watch for a third of what it's worth on the open market.

It's running really strong; it's hard to image it's 220 years old. For what it's worth I may try and regulate it, it's gained 15 minutes today, which is pretty normal for a watch from that period. One used to set them twice a day, at 7 AM and at 7PM when the church bells would sound. (That still happens in a lot of cities in Europe)

The Oldsmobile Service Guild watch is getting a new case. I found a NOS Gruen case that is a perfect match. Now all I'm waiting for is the stems to get here, and then I can finish the restoration. I'm happy to report it's now working perfectly. It taught me some valuable lessons about incabloc balances.

Another rare wristwatch case came in, a WWII vintage German Navy (Kriegsmarine) for my Alpina KM 592. It is currently in a battered old Siegerin KM case, which is ok, but I wanted a better one for it. (no idea when and why it was recased, probably the original rusted away or was damaged during the war) The Siegerin case looks like it's spent a lot of time in salty water, the plating's all gone and it's corroded. I wanted one of the chrome steel ones, and it's taken about 3 years, but one finally came up. I'll probably case that one tomorrow as well.

So this weekend's project is going to be my boss's German-made mantle clock from the 50s. He wants it cleaned and functioning. Right now it runs like a toilet, and the chimes don't work. If I screw this thing up...hoo boy...I'll have a look at it tomorrow, hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

I'll try and post pictures of the Fusee when I have some better lighting; if anyone interested in seeing it..

Have a good evening!
Old December 8th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Late Evening to ALL:
My wife and I started getting a few Christmas things setup in the house today. I have some Department 56 items I bought over the years that include Graceland and Dick Clarks American Bandstand. I got those setup on a table in the den. We have accumulated more Christmas stuff than we can put up in the house so we try to rotate some of it each year. We have a copy of Norman Rockwell's Stockbridge at Christmas painting that we actually bought at his museum in Stockbridge when we were there for the Christmas Festival a little over 20 years ago. That is a story for another day but it was like a fairy tale. It has been cold and lightly raining here all day. Miserable weather.
Mike, I have not seen the guy in the Corvair. Rowlett is not a big city so I am surprised. If you feel like it send me a pm with his name. Rowlett is pretty patriotic but we don't have a park with old tanks or anything like that on display.
Marc, it sounds like that watch is almost like a barnfind. Congrats on it.
Allan, I have a few LED lights outside. I have a big wreath that I hang above the entrance which is about 18 feet high. It is about 3 or 4 feet in diameter and I put new LED lights on it last year. It really looks nice. I have C9 lights on the facia on the front of he house. My wife came out and cried last weekend when I had the big ladder out putting the lights above the second floor because she was afraid I would fall. I intended to put them up until I am 75 if my health permits but that may change now.
Jim, hope you got back safely. There is some crazy weather right now. Lubbock which is in west Texas got 10 inches of snow today. That is a lot of snow for anywhere in Texas.
That is about all I have sports fans. I hope to be on briefly tomorrow. We have out NTOC Holiday Party tomorrow night.
Glenn
Old December 9th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Quiet at the Awful house this morning. Had a nice visit with some of the people. That's it now until next weekend, sigh.

We've had -a lot- of rain. Yesterday when I got home I saw that the lake was down a foot or better below my dock. Someone finally wised up and opened the valve so the lake could accommodate all this rain. This morning the dock is completely under water. Don't know of the valve was closed or what. The water is up into the yard in the low places and Tiger went wading out into it. I said, don't go too far or you'll be swimming. I don't know when it's going to stop, but I'm at least thankful it isn't what they're getting a little further north.

Glenn after Christmas I'll fly out and take down the lights for you. Because if you put them up, they must come down. I don't decorate at all for Christmas. It hasn't been too many years that this hasn't been a good time of year for me. And besides, if I put a tree up in the house Tiger would pee on it.

Marc I can't imagine a watch from 220 years ago. I can't imagine much from that long ago. I've been reading a book about a radio station I listened to up home, and they talk about the 20s and I can't imagine that. How shallow my mind must be.

I'm gonna have to be extra creative today and find something to do. I'm almost out of dry firewood again, Got to hit Walmart this afternoon then it's off to bed early for work.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old December 9th, 2018, 09:09 AM

Soggy Sunday in the night so sunny south but the snow and ice stayed north of us

Thanks I beat feet early to get out of the mess in the mountains. It don't take me long to closely examine a hot horse shoe

Mike, Your post reminded me of quail hunting in south Georgia with my bird dogs. After a down pour, The river was swollen over a wooden foot bridge/ I was walking safe and south across the wooden bridge but the poor dogs could figure out why one step over the edge and they were swimming. . They'd cross in front of me, fall off the bridge climb back on and cross over to fall off the other side

I leave the Christmas decorating up to the Super model, Only problem is there's not enough clean/ clear surface area to fix a PB and J

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 9th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Sunday Morning Guys:
The weather has cleared off and is a beautiful day here. I think I am going to take the Expedition to the car wash. I got a few more things out of the attic but don't have the trees down yet. This is probably going to be tomorrow.
Mike, thanks for the offer on the Christmas lights. I will let you know what days work for me (just kidding). I looked the guy with the Corvair up and he is not too far from me. I am surprised I have never seen him in town or at a car show. Wonder if his car runs. I think you guys get our weather about a day later so you should have a nice day tomorrow.
I hope everybody has a good day today.
Glenn
Old December 9th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Oh no, not again...

Uneventful day here, more or less did nothing. Bought a few parts for some watches, that's about it. The diaphragm set up for my cruise control in the Electra arrived from the US today. Weird that Canada Post is working on Sunday. This diaphragm looks better than the one that's in the car. Hopefully it will work. Last fall just before my trip to BC I installed a factory cruise set up that I'd spent years squirreling the parts away for. After 3 years of hunting, I finally had it all together. So, over two days. I pulled the dash apart and installed it. A few things happened; I lost a couple of dash lights, (installed new LEDs, 2 aren't working for some reason) and the damn cruise didn't work at all. I wasn't happy, I'm getting to old to gas pedal for 12 hours straight.
So I've been hunting again, and one of the Buick guys had a spare kicking around. So this winter I'll install it and in spring start troubleshooting.

So here are a couple of pictures of that watch. It's known as a "Pair-case", meaning it has 2 cases, the case for the mech and an "outer case" that locks it all in. They're both made from sterling silver, and they're hallmarked for London in 1800. So the middle shot has the dust cover in place, (very rare to have one on this vintage watch) and the outer case is visible.The last shot is of the actual movement. These watches were hand-fashioned and fitted, so there are no real replacement parts if one breaks, it has to be made. The big thing you see is called the "balance ****", it is a guard for the balance wheel underneath. This is made from brass plated with gold and hand pierced. It has a diamond as an end stone, but here it is only decorative and serves no function. There are no jewels in this watch. That didn't start happening for another 10 years or so by this point. The smaller silver wheel is the actual adjustment; on these old Verges it was more or less useless. These watches because of the lousy metallurgy were known to gain or loose 15 minutes a day due to barometric changes along. Add in temperature and then yes, it's in accurate. That's why there's no seconds register on these, what was the point? When the British perfected the "English Lever" style escapement around 1820 or so, that made these Verges an anachronism and obsolete. The English Levers all have a seconds register, and that design became the basis of the great American designs from Waltham and Elgin, to name a few in the 1860s.

Enjoy!

Old December 10th, 2018, 05:34 AM

mawn'in

Chili and soggy,

Now I wished I'd stayed in the mountain to check on things

Marc, That' watch is beautiful in it's simplicity.

If this orb is rotating at 1000 mph, what difference does a few seconds really make?

Mike, I dreamed you let me drive the DUWK into the lake next to my dock. Sooooooooooooo I had to look up some pics when I got up. So the question arises, Looks to me like one would need about 6' curb feelers on that thing to park it

Old December 10th, 2018, 05:36 AM

Old Dog.......

Good morning all! As I have said before I don't contribute much because it's such a pain for me to hunt and peck a reply, but I have been following and feel like I am getting to know some of you. As some of you may have read my wife and I have just moved into a big house (purchased) and sold our previous house and our cabin. I would like your thoughts and opinions about what we should do with our dog, Jack.
Jack is a 13 year old Austrian Cattle Dog mix. When he was a puppy he looked more like a Australian Heeler, but as he has gotten older it is obvious that he is a mix. He has been the best dog we have ever had, very smart and super obedient. He has never required a spanking or other discipline, he just wants to please and a stern word makes him cringe as if he had been physically beaten. Anyway a great dog. About 2 years ago we noticed he was very unstable and appeared to be sort of drunk looking when he walked. We took him to the vet and she thought he probably had a spinal degenerative ailment. Since then we took him to another vet and she came up with the same diagnoses. The 2nd vet gave us some steroids to give to Jack temporarily. We found that he was much worse without the steroids so we now give them to him everyday. This new place has a lot of steps and Jack can't do stairs anymore. I made a ramp over the 5 step stairway going to the garage so he can go up and down that- but not easily.
He seems like he still enjoys life and I don't want to end it as long as he is comfortable. The problem is with no. 2's. I don't think he can feel it coming anymore. It comes whenever, of course making a mess in the house. There is no problem with peeing, He still asks to go out and do that business.
Now it is just about every night I am woken by him. Last night I was awakened 3 times by the smell of messes, a couple days ago he attempted to come up the ramp and he had a accident and slipped on his mess and got his right rear leg caught between the ramp and the wall. He was stuck and I had to rescue him. He wasn't hurt but you can imagine the mess that was all over him and the ramp.
Boy, I hate to take him for his last trip to the vet. We really didn't think he would last this long. We had decided that we would put him to sleep if he started to be in pain, but he doesn't seem to be in pain, in fact he seems to enjoy life yet. I abhor regrets and I don't want to
regret ending his life just because I don't like getting up to let him out and clean up his messes....
Well, what do you guys think? I know there are a lot of dog lovers out there. Thanks, and have a great Olds day!
Old December 10th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Greg:
I know there are several of us on here that are pet lovers. We have two dogs and a cat in our house which includes my wife, a daughter and two teenage grandsons. We have a golden retriever, a corgi/shelty mix and a gray male neutered cat. About four years ago we had to put our previous dog Maggie down. She was 9 and we had had her 8 years. I found her as a stray outside my office and brought her home. I think she was a golden/border collie mix. Maggie was absolutely the most beautiful do I have ever seen and very obedient and sweet. She developed an inoperable tumor in her bladder. After shedding lots of tears I said we will no go looking for another dog. If one comes along we will know it. About two years ago our next door neighbors were doing sort of a foster parent thing with Lucy our golden. Long story short we adopted her and she brings us lots of joy. She is really a funny dog. Unfortunately dogs can't tell you when they are ready to go. I am not one to let an animal suffer. You have to make your own choice but it sounds like it is near time when they loose control. It is a very humane process. Dogs become part of our families and we grieve for ourselves and our loss when we loose them. We have had the animals we lost cremated and have their ashes. My thoughts are with you in this difficult process.
Glenn

Last edited by redoldsman; December 10th, 2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old December 10th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Lunch is over but no one seems to be in a hurry to get back to work. It's been a good morning so far.

Greg my opinion about Jack is just to learn to live with it. Maybe give him some Imodium or ask the vet what to do. If he is still full of life, and he's given you that many good years, that's no reason to let him down. It's gross sometimes, but lots of things are gross. He doesn't like it any more than you do, and maybe a little less. You'll figure out how to adjust to make things better. He sounds like a good boy.

Marc I don't know how you can remember all that stuff about all those watches. I guess it's interest.

Oh heck here comes the lead. See ya's.
Old December 10th, 2018, 09:31 AM

Greg, Don't they make doggie diapers
Old December 10th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Always room for one more

Okay went to the skin doctor after work for a thing on my face. Like George Costanza, it was a white discoloration. He did a biopsy and will get back to me. He also looked at the number of funny spots all over my torso and said they all looked okay. Nothing troubled him, so that's good.

We finished up quick this afternoon and left a few minutes before two. Which is nice because we usually leave a few minutes after two.

Still rain. Cold, rain, yuck.

Gonna relax a little then hit the sack. Hope the week started out well for everyone.
Old December 10th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,
Yuck, freezing rain today. Not going to be fun tomorrow morning.

Greg - I'm really sorry to hear about Jack. Making a decision about keeping or putting a pet down is terribly hard and I know what you are going through. I think everyone here has had a similar decision. What I'll say is you'll hear a lot of comments one way or the other, but ultimately it's going to have to be your decision based on how well Jack is doing or struggling. Maybe ask your vet if perhaps giving the steroids every day might be the source of the messes. Jim's right, they do make dog diapers probably just for situations like this. Not much different than changing a baby in a way. I remember my mom's dogs. She has always had one or two at a time. Patches ended up with a skin disease that required a fresh bandage and ointment every day at the same time. Since mom worked, I would take time to run over to her place and dress/change the wound with new ointment and bandage. Patches got very used to seeing me at the same time and would always be waiting at the door. The problem eventually resolved itself. Her other 2 dogs were Shepherds. Conway and Silva. I would take them for walks in the evening after my shift because mom wasn't that mobile. They were very strong pullers. I had to keep Conway on leash because he was aggressive but Silva was mild. She ended up having mobility issues too. Apparently Shepherds are prone to a thing called 'hip displascia" which meant she couldn't walk anymore. It was sad because she was only around 8 or 9 years old. Mom had to put her down because there's no cure and it was obvious Silva was in pain. Conway went on to lead another life at a friends farm where I'm sure he killed chickens and goats. He unfortunately was, as I said very aggressive. Andy had to keep him chained up a lot as a result. Anywho, everyone has a story about their pets, and how they dealt with it. I know you'll find the answer you're looking for. Like Glenn said, pets are like children and it's hard to see anything bad happen to them. My prayers are with you, Jack and the missus.
Old December 10th, 2018, 05:29 PM

Thanks for your thoughts guys. He was a pleasure to be with again today. I think I was just more frustrated about last night when I wrote that this morning. I think we will just keep on and see how he does.
Old December 11th, 2018, 01:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good early morning everyone.

I've been a fan of this guy for 30 years. This is guaranteed to get your toes a-tappin' early in the morning. Well, that's if I can get it to attach here.

See you's at lunch.

Old December 11th, 2018, 06:05 AM

mawn'in

Certainly got my foots stomping, Tanks Mike I needed that.

I got n a funk yesterday so I had to watch the chimp seal joke a few times. [ I watch it for therapy] During the process I came upon a chimp Jeopardy youtube that was pretty good also

Family on the way

Old December 11th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Cold as a ... (fill in de blank). Lots of frost on the car too so looks like I have to warm and scrape the glass. Neat song Mike. The dog in that video looks like Clints old dog.

Think I'll make a sausage and egg muffin sandwich for brekkie. That's about it for now.
Old December 11th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Always room for one more

Ah, an hour's lunch. We haven't had that for weeks. Not many tires in the place today and we're doing pretty well.

Jamesbo, when there's a family that's unusually distraught, do you play the chimp video to lighten them up?

Greg nice looking dog. You won't regret keeping him around. I get that way too, not only with dogs. Get frustrated and wound up. I -usually- come back down to earth about it.

Gonna get ready to get back to it. Don't know what it's doing outside, haven't looked. I don't think it's raining. If it doesn't dry up soon I'll have to pay to have my car worked on. I never like that.
Old December 11th, 2018, 11:22 AM

No Mike, I try to save my levity for CO

Last week really was a tough week. Had to make a house call on a young city employee I know. He's got cancer and is now a shadow of his old self. Also had a 34 year old lady with 3 kids who had lost her husband and was [as well she should be] a complete basket case

Some weeks are harder than others, yesterday and guy from Jersey calls, We go on line to fill out the paperwork, He's gives me his credit card and I go pick out a lot for his mom. He's never seen the place and won't until the funeral

The only thing I can say for certain is People are VERY different. One guy [pre need] who used to work at Lockhead absolutely positively had to have lot C-5, others want the number of their favorite baseball/football player, Some will stand on a lot and say "This feels right" and some don't give a $hit. It's a crazy business for sure. But I'd like to think, I'm helping people out at a time of need and not taking advantage of them like the big corporately owned cemeteries. I'm mean really why in the wild wild world of sports would someone buy a warranty on a concrete vault Think about that one fer a second.

BTW it's a blue bird day outside quit and go play with Tiger
Old December 11th, 2018, 02:18 PM

Morning all, been a crap few weeks down here. Had another heat wave come through last week and topped out at 38 degrees.

Slowly plodding along with grandads estate, man it takes a while to sort out an estate. I’d hate to have to deal with a bigger one that’s for sure.

Monday this week we made the tough decision to put down our beloved Beau. His back hips had gone and the poor old guy couldn’t stand for longer then a few minutes and was in constant pain. Had him since he was a pup. Made 13 years and had an easy life.

Is snow in Georgia normal around you Jim?

Nice looking watch Marc. I’m pretty patient but I don’t know if I could work on something so small and intricate, cudose to you.

Better get back to work I guess, have a good one everybody,
Adrian
Old December 11th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Adrian, In the mountain yes 2 or 3 times a year/ Down in Atlanta maybe once a year
Old December 11th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,

Well it was a seesaw battle today if ever I did see one. Lots of 1's and a 2 scored. At the end of the 7th end we were down 6-3 but rallied back to tie the game at 6-6. In this league a tie gives both teams one point. In my other leagues we would have done a skips shoot out to the button for the outright win. Winner gets 2, and loser gets a shoot out win of 1 point. As the French say, C'est la vie.

Adrian - Great to hear from ya mate!! I'm sorry to hear about Beau. I know how heartbreaking it is. Estates are sure a thing of beauty aren't they. I had the unfortunate role of executor for my Dad's estate, but that was back in 1978. I wish I knew then what I know now, but I suspect it still would have been a beast to tame. The siblings didn't really get along at the time and finding the 'happy ground' was likely the same problem as what you might be going through with your Dads wife. Only thing different is Ihad to deal with 5 people who seemed to be at odds instead of 1? Eventually this pain goes away but it's quite a life experience isn't it?

Jim - I liked the jeopardy chimps. After it finished the video came up with multi screens to watch. I picked Wheel of Fortune top 10 bone heads and wasn't disappointed with the intellect they get on that show. Honest, they could qualify as People of Walmart.

Here's sumpin you might enjoy. Do you remember the Apollo space program? this video pokes a bit of fun at NASA, and funding for the space program. There's a whole series of em, but I thought this was politically correct.....

Old December 12th, 2018, 04:43 AM

mawn'in

Clear and cold

Headed to the quackoprator a-gain to hopefully fix my elbow before the spring thaw

Mike, Did you or Tiger feel the earthquake from way up in Decatur Tennessee? I I slept right thru it but the ladies on FB lit up the screen this a.m.

Adrian, So sorry to hear that news.I'm afraid most of us have lived long enough to handle at least one estate. It's a giant PITA and once you figger out how to do it. it's done

Old December 12th, 2018, 04:54 AM

Adrian, so sorry to hear about Beau, Of course it's all part of life but we sure love our dog buddies. Also sorry about your grandpa, I handled my mothers estate and yeah it was a pia, but I considered it a privilege also.
Old December 12th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I did not feel the earthquake this morning, though plenty of the neighbors did. I belong to an email group that people from the neighborhood subscribe to, sort of like here, and it's all a bunch of nervous women who thought the sky was falling. At 0415 I would have been in the shower, I guess the shower floor is shock-mounted. Tiger didn't say anything. Although, about ten till 4 he woke me up barking, at nothing in particular. I told him to can it and he laid back down. Hm.

Good day at work. Our number kept going down, and one of the tire suppliers brought in Sonny's Barbeque. Can't beat that. Tomorrow someone else is bringing in lunch. Don't know who, but competition for our parts must be high.

Adrian I'm so sorry about Beau. I've had enough pets during my life that that sort of thing gets to be a little too common. But we keep doing it. It's how we're wired.

So it's a little cloudy but looks bright out, and it's about 50. I'm going to go out and change the oil in the dogmobile, because I think the rain comes back tomorrow. I'm also going to scout out some firewood that at least isn't drenched and put it up.

Hope everyone is enjoying Hump Day.
Old December 12th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Anutter stellar win at curling!! Actually came to a shoot out draw to the button. The skip didn't like my ice call so he asked for about 8" less. Turns out my ice was right. He missed the button completely and ended up in the back 8' ring about 12' to the right side of the house. Fortunately for us, Harvey (other skip) didn't have his draw weight in his pocket and came up light of the house. Hey, a win is a win.

Very pleasant outside right now but I had to put a lot of ice melt on the walks and drive. It's solid ice and slippery as a pinch of whale $hit on an iceberg.

Heading out with the missus to do some shopping.

Interesting. Gas here is down to 89.9/L. With my corporate card I can buy it for 81/L. That would be around $1.99/gal (US after $ conversion.) This won't last of course and when the price hike comes it will be staggering. Likely somewhere around 20¢/L or more. The gubment here has imposed a production cutback of oil around 9% effective Jan 1 to reduce the stockpile that is giving us consumers a bit of a break. They're also planning to impose a higher carbon tax effective the same time which will again make anything oil related about 5% more expensive. Yeah, way to go Rachel, that's not my idea of being Santa Claus.
Old December 12th, 2018, 01:51 PM

Morning everyone, thanks for the kind words. I know it gets better but it still stinks at the time.
Good to hear you’re still on top of the game Allan and as you said a wins a win.
If we’re lucky we might get some rain soon from that cyclone up north which should give us a bit of a break from the heat.
Time to get some work done around the place before I go to work tonight, have a good one everyone.
Adrian
Old December 13th, 2018, 04:21 AM

mawn'in

Chili but clear [for a day or 2]

Headed notre to fix the throttle on Das Boat before the monsoons arise

I had sum limbs fall on the quest house roof during the ice/snow storm. I got to climb up there and have a look see, I hope I don't have any holes in it/ May have to take sum duct tape up there jes in case a temporary patch is necessary. Dial 91 and keep your other finger on the next 1 Wish me luck

Allan I'm really werking of the curling lingo so when I visit I won't sound like a complete neophyte. What's a draw weight?

Had a funeral yesterday and another family [unexpectedly] show up late yesterday.. soooooooooooo I may have ta beat feet south on Saturday for another funeral. Duty calls [or dinner bell rings] which ever you prefer

Old December 13th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Trash day so I gotta get with it shortly and put out some offerings for the trash dude. He likes our place because we don't generate a lot for him to pick up.

Jim - Draw weight means throwing the rock with just enough speed that it lands where it's spoda in the house. Draw weight can vary with each thrower - and that's what sweeping is for. If it's light (not enough weight) good sweepers can drag it another 8-10 feet before it stops. Ice call is putting the broom where the thrower should aim. After that it's assumed that the thrower knows whether its an in-turn or out-turn. In the house, I call line and the sweepers are spoda call the weight to me as the rock comes down the ice. Most of the time they don't so I have to use my stopwatch to get a split time. That will tell me how much weight the rock was delivered with. Generally a split of 3.75 seconds means it's house weight, unless the ice is really keen. Keen ice means the rock needs less time like around 4.15 seconds. Of course it all depends on many variables that you'd gain experience with as you learn the game. Waaaay too much stuff to summarize here. Ya know that most rinks offer beginner lessons and intro clinics dontcha??

Hoping de commute from hell will be slightly better than Tuesday when the Groat congestor was down to only one lane.....

Hmmm, I see some stations here are bouncing the price of gas up close to 101.9 overnight. It won't last. I hate when they jump prices by 12¢/L like that. ( 45¢/Gal). I bermember when price increases used to be around 2-3¢/gal and that used to outrage the motoring population.
Old December 13th, 2018, 06:17 AM

We're your assistance, I may skip Curling 101 and go straight to the pros
Old December 13th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Lunch, and day 2 of catered in. Barbeque again, but from a different place. I don't know who brought it this time. I could get used to this.

I think I'll take up Jai alai.

Got the oil changed in the dogmobile yesterday. Depending on how much time before the rain comes I might see about the trans fluid. That takes a little longer but isn't a big deal. I need to start cleaning it for my trip to Mom's. We usually ride around in it so I need to get the nose prints off the window.

Gas around here has been holding at 1.99 for a couple weeks anyway. It was going down a cent or so a day, it can keep going.

Low number today, we should be in good shape. Hope everyone is enjoying the day. One more to go.
Old December 13th, 2018, 09:34 AM

Been a couple of days since I had anything to say. went and did blood work today so the doc can see if the statin that he put me on last summer is having any effect. I'll find out next week when I see him. Been under the weather for a few weeks, seems to be a stomach bug that I can't just shake, a couple of co workers had it also, but it didn't stick around for them. Forecast calls for freezing rain just north of me. They are not sure if it will be a large area that is affected, or if some of it will come as snow. gas prices have been bouncing around here as well, lowest that it got to was about $2.19 gal. about a week ago, but it has been fluctuating by .20 a gal since then, up to 2.39, and back down again.
Old December 13th, 2018, 10:04 AM

Search this Thread