The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old November 29th, 2018, 06:12 AM

LOL...I just wanted to see the replies. Sometimes when you go into a thread that has been started for a while, you come in clueless and if you don't understand the topic, it is funny because you sort of conjure up your own conclusions. Sorry guys, just having fun. Good morning by the way.
Old November 29th, 2018, 07:04 AM

So what did cha have fer breakfast ?
Old November 29th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
So what did cha have fer breakfast ?
Well someone was kind enough to bring in Dunkin Donuts so I just got me a double chocolate donut...for some reason it taste better when its free.
Old November 29th, 2018, 07:43 AM

I know what ya mean by real honey, I buy mine at the farmers market, or at a road side stand when I go north for a car show. I use honey quite a bit when I make BBQ sauces. Funny, we say tennis shoes, not sneakers, and pop is not coke, but generic for soft drinks. So, if someone asks do you want a pop? I reply, "what kind do you have?" I miss our former colleagues as well. Gotta go get xmas stamps, and head to the insurance office to turn in the roofing info, so I can get lower insurance.
Old November 29th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I know what ya mean by real honey, I buy mine at the farmers market, or at a road side stand when I go north for a car show. I use honey quite a bit when I make BBQ sauces. Funny, we say tennis shoes, not sneakers, and pop is not coke, but generic for soft drinks. So, if someone asks do you want a pop? I reply, "what kind do you have?" I miss our former colleagues as well. Gotta go get xmas stamps, and head to the insurance office to turn in the roofing info, so I can get lower insurance.
Haha..coming from New York to Chicago was a difficult transition, and I do remember being teased when I would say soda. Then I got used to saying pop and now I live in florida and its back to using soda....lolol.
Old November 29th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Well, y'all have made me hungry a=gain

I'm gonna go get my Varsity fix

Old November 29th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Things are rolling right along. Thought we'd get an extended lunch but nope, probably won't get one for awhile since we were lacking earlier this week.

Welcome Oldskool. What part of Florida? I have family in the panhandle.

Actually I grew up saying gym shoes. Don't know where I got sneakers from but eh, no one knows what I'm talking about most of the time anyway. Absolutely it's pop.

One of the guys was late today so he brought donuts. They are better when they're free. And there were two of my favorites, Boston Crème and chocolate filled. Whoever made the donuts today went a little overboard with the powdered sugar.

So one more day and I get to shave off this ridiculous beard. I thought it would be fun to do No Shave November. I look dumb as hell. Though I can get ready for work a lot quicker in the mornings.

Jamesbo I had heard that someone took after Blue Vista and he got offended and quit showing up. Don't know what it was all about. A quick look shows he was last on the forum January of last year.

Lunch is over already. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old November 29th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Thanks! Glad to be hear. I live in Tampa FL. Weather is perfect today. Its in the 50s..nice enough to take the bike out. Probably cooler up at the panhandle. Haha, just read about the beard. I have been growing mine out for the last 4 months and it has gotten pretty bushy. Just trimmed and tapered it last night and it feels and looks great. I was not much of a beard guy but its growing on me....puddump pump...

Last edited by Oldskool98; November 29th, 2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old November 29th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,

Kind of a crappy commute today since I had to route through the city. Tuesday and Thursday are like that and for some reason today the traffic was kinda ugly even with dry roads. What's funny is AFTER all the freezing rain and slippery roads where the city couldn't be bothered to send out any road maintenance with sand or salt, today when the roads are dry and dusty whattaya see? Yup plow trucks and sanders looking for work. Nice gig if ya can get it. Stay home when it's ugly and waste tax $ driving around doing nothing when it's nice. End of rant - for now I guess.

Curling at the Granite - today was, ummm, different. We were up 3-2 after 2 ends, then in the 3rd we took 5 points, and stole 3 more in the 4th. The other team just gave up. Too bad, I was in the zone. Their 3rd player was kind of a rude a$$. I'm behind him in the 'house' watching his skips rock come down the sheet. It's getting close to the rings and I know he's going to sweep it past T line. I'm allowed to be in the house and watch the line, so I mentioned to him that I was behind him. So he backs right into me before I can move and has the nerve to say "Don't touch me". Huh?? Oh well, we just attributed his bad manners to being a loser. Normally when you tell someone where you are it's a courtesy to let them know and they appreciate it. Oh, and when the opposing team goes to sweep their rock, they DO have priority on the sweeping. I have no trouble with that except when they casually sweep to prevent me from sweeping hard to get the rock deeper and maybe out of the rings. I'll have to remember that next time we play them - block them off with lazy sweeping on any of our deep rocks. Naw, that would be playing their game. I guess I'm still a little pissed at the thirds attitude. I was actually surprised when they decided to shake hands after the 4th end. Most teams will try to stage a comeback and even out the score. I would anyway because I tend to curl more competitively.

Oldskool - Good one. Have you heard this one? A guy waltzes into an on line forum, posts a cryptic comment and then leaves. Everyone gets confused and starts talking about food. Too funny
I say pop, know that I grill food on the BBQ, and I wear whatever shoes I feel like at the time. Running shoes aren't named right IMO. Most people who buy them don't run, in fact most of them barely waddle. I don't like wearing socks or any kind of closed footwear because of my foot neuropathy. So anytime I can wear open sandals I'm in heaven. Gotta protect my feet somehow.

Jim - y'all git sum stuff there we can't git up here. Prolly y'all git large portions too instead of the measly ones we get here for $$$$. Last time I was in TX I ordered a burger combo and fries from a fast food joint. SHEEEE It , the burger was the size of a small dinner plate, the fries could fill half a shoe box, and the onjun rings the other half. And the pop? A good 28 oz I think. Total bill was less than a 10 spot. If I ever lived there I'd prolly be over 350 lbs and be able to go to vegas and eat at the heart attack grill for free.

Marc - Hahahaha, ya been schooled bud. Don't worry none about it. I got schooled too. I think Jim did it to me. Now I know that I hafta go to GA or LA to get some good bbq poke or biff. And cajun sausages too - I think I'd love to try some cajun creole, jambalaya or gumbo.

Dan - Cool beans. Usually our insurance company reviews our upgrades annually but when we do something interim we do the same thing as you. But only a bit different. Here all we have to do is phone them, tell them what has been done and when. No proof required apparently. They don't ask who the contractor was or how much we paid. They just want to know what type of shingles we installed, and ours are 50 year high impact with a 15 year warranty on ANY type of partial failure. 2 years ago we had the hailstorm from hell. It damaged a lot of properties here and some houses needed to be completely resided. We got off lucky with only 2 golf ball size holes in the garage siding, but it definitely left marks on the siding. Not enough to warrant replacing. The one piece of siding was a bit of a PITA because the downspout had to be temporarily loosened. We didn't see any significant lowering of premiums even with the work done.

Glenn - Marcs spot on. The "Outback" steak house used to have a good rep here about 10-15 years ago. They had this giant deep fried onjun that was the size of a mega softball or small watermelon. Hmmm, mebbe it was a small watermelon dressed to look like an onjun. They're soooo popular here that they had to close down 2 of their locations. Almost every single item on their menu has the word Aussie in the description. Slight overkill??? Mebbe just like an elephant in the room. Swiss Chalet, Red Lobster and Olive Garden? Picture this giant toboggan slope and see all the companies sliding downhill on it? That's those clowns in a nutshell. I remember when they were quality places and affordable. Now they're pathetic attempts to lure the unsuspecting in.

Mike - So, you gonna shave it off? Got a before and after when it happens?? I can't stand leaving my growth more than 3 days before it starts to bug me. Is your beard anywhere close to Adrian's? That would be impressive.

Washed the car at the local splash and dash on the way home today. Wow it was busy. That's so unusual for a weekday at noon. You'd think most folks would be having lunch but I guess their priorities are all different. When I got home I sprayed some WD40 on the remote gas release just to be safe. It's such a lovely day here at almost 40° I just let the car drip dry. Gotta get fuel later. Gas here is down to 93.9¢/L which is fantastic. I can get the corporate rate of 85.9 which is even better. Ok, time to change and behave.
Old November 29th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Always room for one more

Well I guess I'm not supposed to have trailer lights. I drove out to Harbor Freight and guess what, no lights. Instead there were big empty places on the shelves where the lights used to be, and a sign that said trailer lights clearance, 9.95. So it's off to Northern and pay way, way more. Sheesh.

The beard is coming off. Now, if it looked like it did when I was younger it would be red and that would be cool. No I'm not going for the Adrian look. That I think would take years. I should go to the barber shop and get one of those straight razor shaves. I've wanted to do that for years.

We did okay at work finishing up. Just as I suspected, the F boys are sandbagging because no one is supposed to keep track of how many wheels we sign off. I've always been the odd man out and struggle to get all my wheels, and now I'm going over. Might be time to run one or two of them out so the rest will shape up. If that's possible.

It's a beautiful evening out. My too wet to burn firewood from last night is nice and dry now, but it's a little too warm to start the stove up. I'll have plenty of time to use it coming up, even though it's supposed to get up into the 70s this weekend. I'll take that but could do without the rain that's supposed to come with it.

Quiet evening. Might hit the sack early. Tiger is out running around in the back yard, he might be out there all night.
Old November 29th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Oh no, not again...

Just taking it easy this evening. Not much going on.
Back to the bad restaurants...
I forgot about Red Lobster. They advertise "fresh" seafood. The nearest ocean is 700 miles away from here. ... Hmmm. And then there's the old favorite, "Boston Pizza". I can just see you Southerners smirk; "An' jes whut do Yankees know about Pizza?" Turns out not much; the owner/originator is originally Greek and the company is based in Langley just outside of Vancouver. The pizza is tolerable but expensive, but their claim to fame was for a while they were the only gig in town. Every kids or junior hockey team ends up at one on a Saturday night after an away game before heading back to their hotel. And then there was the "Louisiana Purchase", which was more Jamaican than Cajun. I would hate to see what they'd do with a German restaurant; they'd probably call it "Der Gaskammer" or something equally as offensive and have yodelling idiots wearing pickelhaubes and lederhosen serenading people with accordions who are trying to choke down copious amounts of bland uncooked Sauerkraut, pan-fried frozen french fries, boiled franks with bad mustard, dry pretzels, washed down with sweet white wine from a box or flat lo-cal beer.
Ah, yeah, it's probably been done....
Have a good night...
Old November 29th, 2018, 09:26 PM

I really would like to get to the Varsity at least once. Allan, 50 years is pretty darn good for asphalt shingles, not sure if I have ever seen that kind of warranty around here. My roof is only covered from hail damage if it puts a hole in the roof, thereby negating it's purpose to protect the house. Dents from hail are not covered. It is very rare to see hail any bigger than a half inch diameter around here, and I have only see half inch diameter about two times in my life. They do get it bigger 30-50 miles East and South of here.
Old November 30th, 2018, 03:22 AM

mawn'in

Allan I hate to waste food so I want smaller portions of GOOD food,

Atlanta is loaded with mediocre expensive restaurants

Here's a tip, If the maitre d has a Steven Segal, hair do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, leave

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I really would like to get to the Varsity at least oncee.
Come on down, I'll take ya and even teach ya the lingo so ya won't ax fer a soda. When they say, "What ya have?" Jes say, "A chili dog, a PC and a bag of rags" Fresh is their key ingredient and it's really good, I was weened on their food

https://thevarsity.com/food/lingo

Headed norte

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 30th, 2018, 05:06 AM

MMM Chili dog...sounds good but maybe a little too early for my stomach...haha. Not sure what kind of lingo we have down here. I suppose it is a mix of everything.
Old November 30th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Great start to the day at 30°. Spoda get a small snow shower a bit later this mawnin so I guess washing the car yesterday will be a bit of a waste.

Looking forward to a good game at the Saville today. I'm playing against Bob, who skips a team at the Saville but plays 3rd with me on Tues/Thurs. Hopefully he doesn't remember my strategies. I don't think I have to worry about it because he often disagrees with my calls but then ends up saying it was the right one after the shot is made.

Marc - I remember a really really good Jerman restaurant but it goes back to around 1977/78. It was called The Vienna Schnitzel and was on (south side of) 111 Ave and 121 Street. It was killer food. Plenty of it, very tasty and not expensive. There are only a few German places in Edmonchuk now (hahaha, no surprise) and they have such select hours and reservations are recommended. I'd really like to try the Bauernschmaus on 99 Street. It's Austiran and Looks good, probably about the closest I'll get to real German cuisine. I'm still looking for a restaurant that serves Raclette.

Time for brekkie and SSS. Then off to the Saville.
Old November 30th, 2018, 08:52 AM

I think a Hot Dog, a Ring of One and a Coke, sound good to me. A busy weekend. Gotta get silk flowers for my dad's marker at the cemetery, start Christmas shopping, go to a memorial for a co worker who passed away, and work on Sunday.
Old November 30th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Coming to you live from Verizon wi-fi. I got this thing called a hot spot a couple weeks ago, and never hooked it up. Because I was messing around trying to transfer emails I wanted to keep. So I called Charter yesterday and denounced them, and this afternoon when I got home from work I hooked up the wi-fi finally. Not as fast but it's worth it not being with Charter.

So we got done with our work and were out by 11 this morning. Must be some sort of record. Then I spent two hours at the Awful house jawing with various people. The sun is out so I'm gonna go over to the shop and work on the trailer. I bought a set of lights at Northern Tool on the way home. They were only 41 bucks, and probably the same set Harbor Freight just sold out of at 9. Ug.

And that's about it. See you all later.
Old November 30th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan - I could go for a heavy weight all the way I'm sorry for your losses. Always nice to visit your Dads marker and place flowers. Take some time to reflect. My Dad was cremated and is in a cemetery in Meaford Ontario along with his parents, and both brothers. Kind of a long hike to get there. That's 2031 miles away. One day I hope to visit. My sister and I bought a really nice headstone for his grave 2 years ago since no one had done that when he was interred. She has visited the site when she tagged onto a business trip her husband took to Toronto.

Mike - hope the new SP works out for you. I also have that feature from my SP. Here they call it Shaw -go wifi. Works pretty good too and automatically connects me with their cell towers as I move around in the city of highway.

EDIT: I'm laughing so hard, I just realized there's a Red Dog. Jim - ya see that??? Nekkid dog wit ketchup. Better put sum clothes on yer puppy.

Last edited by Allan R; November 30th, 2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old November 30th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Always room for one more

Well I'm just going to sell that trailer. Got the lights wired up, all good grounds, and the parking lights flash with the turn signals and I get nothing else. At least it's the correct sides this time. So I thought, it had to be my adapter. Unhooked the truck, hooked up the dogmobile, and nothing at all. I'm done. This is the second set of new lights that don't work, there isn't that much to the system! The trailer is either cursed or I'm such a dumbass I can't see the glaring thing I'm doing wrong. I could see either one.

Allan they say a true Chicagoan won't put ketchup on a hot dog, in fact there is no ketchup on a Chicago Hot Dog. I love ketchup on a hot dog but you know what, I'm not a true Chicagoan, I'm from the suburbs. In fact, I'm not even from the area originally, I'm from Moline.

I'd go to the Varsity again, but I don't want to go by myself. I'd get all the popular stuff and then sit in the Lunching Pad.

And now, meatloaf.
Old November 30th, 2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Well I'm just going to sell that trailer. Got the lights wired up, all good grounds, and the parking lights flash with the turn signals and I get nothing else. At least it's the correct sides this time. So I thought, it had to be my adapter. Unhooked the truck, hooked up the dogmobile, and nothing at all. I'm done. This is the second set of new lights that don't work, there isn't that much to the system! The trailer is either cursed or I'm such a dumbass I can't see the glaring thing I'm doing wrong. I could see either one.

Allan they say a true Chicagoan won't put ketchup on a hot dog, in fact there is no ketchup on a Chicago Hot Dog. I love ketchup on a hot dog but you know what, I'm not a true Chicagoan, I'm from the suburbs. In fact, I'm not even from the area originally, I'm from Moline.

I'd go to the Varsity again, but I don't want to go by myself. I'd get all the popular stuff and then sit in the Lunching Pad.

And now, meatloaf.
This is true being that I lived in both NYC and Chicago, I prefer Chicago hot dogs and NY pizza. There was a place I used to hit up in Chicago on late Saturday nights after some illegal street racing and their hots dogs were amazing. They even had a sign that said ketchup was sacrilegious...lol. Been at work since 8am this morning and still here making up for lost time. Feels like this day is never-ending.
Old November 30th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Oh no, not again...

Allan, the "Bauernschmaus" is actually quite good, but a bit pricey, They're predominantly Austrian, so their specialty is Wiener Schnitzel. They also have a nice Sacher Torte (cake) there. You have to make reservations. The other place that has surprising good food but also pricey is the "Continental Treat." It's a Polish restaurant, but all I ever hear is German in there. It was funny, one time my wife and I went there, we were just minding our own business and the next thing we know there's this young couple at the table next to us, speaking German. OK, now I'm eavesdropping...anyway, long story short, others appear, and then in comes a preacher who is absolutely gunned half out of his mind. The young lady takes off her coat to reveal a wedding dress, and presto, we're unwilling participants in a wedding. They're all speaking German, the loaded preacher, (hiccuping softly) cracks a few bad jokes and then pronounces them man and wife, and dives into the wine. So I ask the waiter, who is a good Pole; does this happen often? Germans getting married in a Polish restaurant? He tells me "You'd be surprised", and after I asked him where all the Poles go 'cuz I'm not hearing any Polish, he replies that he "doesn't know, maybe the Mongolian place next door, but not here, too many #$@%!! Germans..." The Pickle Soup is to die for, and they also do a wonderful Steak Tartare there, as does the "Bistro Praha" downtown.
Well, that does it, now I'm hungry and want Tartare. Gonna make a reservation; - talk to you tomorrow if I haven't come down with e-coli or salmonella!
Old November 30th, 2018, 10:30 PM

Thanks Allan. Mike, ketchup on a hot dog is verboten, nein. Nailhead, that's a funny story.
Old December 1st, 2018, 05:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Foggy as Londontown here right now. Hmmm, speaking of that I wonder where London ever got to. Maybe his work and construction projects are getting the better of him? Or maybe his missus bought him another all expense paid vacation to another exotic place.

Dan - The reference I posted for 'Red Dog' was in the Menu. I thought it was funny that Jim also refers to his pet as Red Dog. BTW up here (not in Chicago BTW) ketchup, mustard, relish, onjuns, chili are all fair game for hot dogs. I don't like the poke hot dogs though, I prefer the large all beef ones that I need a sausage bun to hold it with all the ingredients. They're so filling it's hard to eat 2. I'm with Mike though - I like ketchup on a dog. Ja, Da, Si, Oui, yes, Not verboten

Marc - That's so weird. An impromptu German wedding?? Did they pick up your tab? What about Haus Falkenstein? Sort of mixed reviews on it - On 111 Ave & 152 St. The interior looks a bit much like they're really struggling to have an identity. Right next door to an adult shop - go figure.

Well in about an hour I'm off for the whole day volunteered to help the local food bank with their Christmas program. My job will be to help staff one of the buses that will be at various Save-On Foods stores throughout the city. They call it Stuff a Bus. Usually it's very successful and helps out a lot of the folks who would otherwise not have a Christmas meal to enjoy.

Have a good Saturday!
Old December 1st, 2018, 07:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I told Tiger we could sleep in today, and after wanting to get up a couple times since around 5, he finally had enough and got me out of bed at 9. Oh it was nice to not be on a schedule. We should have been gone to the Awful house by now, but I started reading an article on the internet. The elder George Bush has died and I was reading all about him. I didn't realize the article was quite so long, eh, what was that about not being on a schedule? By the way, I feel bad that he died, even though he was 90-something and in bad health. I didn't know too much about him at the time, I was more like a kid when he was president. I turned 20 in 1987.

Rain and lots of it. I thought it was supposed to end this afternoon but I don't see it, it's settled in pretty good. Got my mostly dry firewood put in the can last night so I should have a fighting chance at a good fire next time the opportunity presents. Gonna be inside stuff today.

Okay time to hit the road. Have a good morning everyone.
Old December 1st, 2018, 08:58 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
I have a little catching up to do since I was not on here yesterday. The weather here has been crazy the last two days with temps in the 70's and sunshine. I have been in shorts and tee shirts. Today is another of the same and that is a good thing since I have to put up Christmas lights today. It seems like I just took them down. I don't put up as many lights as I used to but probably still too many.
Jim, growing up in Louisiana, everything was a coke. Then I moved to Texas in 1979 and with all the transplants you could hear soda more than anything else. So I started referring to them as cold drinks and still do. Tennis shoes were the term for our shoes back in the day although none of us played tennis. I still use that term from time to time. Thanks for the video on the Varisty. What an operating and it is good to see it is still in the same family. That is why it still exists. Would love to make it there some day.
I know that Chicago is ground zero for hot dogs. I guess putting ketchup on a hot dog there is like putting beans in chili to a Texan. Years ago in our former home, we had some neighbors that moved in and came from Kansas City but were originally from Illinois. Jim invited us over for dinner and said he was cooking his three bean chili. I said Jim, chili doesn't have beans. When we went over he served the chili and it had no beans. I use ketchup on a hot dog if I don't have any chili. I am not a big mustard fan but like it on my hot dog.
Allan, that is a great thing you are doing today to help feed the less fortunate. Nobody should be without Christmas dinner.
Well, that is about it for the moment. Lucy is going to be disappointed since we are not going for our walk this morning. Gotta get started on the lights.
Later Guys
Glenn
Old December 1st, 2018, 05:33 PM
Always room for one more

Well I didn't do jack today. Stayed an hour or better at the Awful house and got home and it poured down rain all afternoon. Puttered around in the house a little bit, but didn't get anything meaningful done. Just one of those days.

Forgot to take stuff out to thaw so I didn't have anything for my supper, so I went back to Awful house. This time Tiger had to stay home. Only a couple other people there, and this morning it was so busy and loud you couldn't hear yourself think.

Maybe we should plan another Good Morning thread get together. We could all meet at The Varsity. What tour could we take this time?

Okay gonna put in a movie or something and relax the rest of the evening. Hope everyone has a good night.
Old December 1st, 2018, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good evening everyone,

Today was a huge success!! 7 buses crammed full of food. Each one brought in over 1700 kg ( 3740 lbs) of food. That's total of 26,180 lbs which will go a good way towards providing for the less fortunate this holiday season. Our bus alone brought in close to $850 in cash donations. That's wonderful considering we were on site only 9 hours!! Cash donations are almost more valuable than the food donations because the food bank can selectively buy product from vendors at the ratio of approximately 20:1. I was really amazed by this but it was confirmed by the food bank director that they can extend a dollar to about $20 in purchase power. Cool beans!!! The other aspect of the giving was shown through the food donations. There were several families that showed up with shopping carts full of food that we had to repackage into smaller bags so it would be easier to load/unload. I was amazed by the first customers of the day - they drove up in their SUV and unloaded 4 (24 can) flats of soup, 8 cases of KD, and 4 large boxes of rice/beans/peanut butter. There were several families that had never been to an event like this and were touched by the spirit of giving. One of them came out to the bus with a shopping car filled with 18 packages of prepackaged food parcels that sell for $5.00 each. This event was huge and I was proud to contribute to it.

Glenn - I guess I better not make you any chili. I use black beans and kidney beans (both rinsed of course) in my chili. I also use AAA beef that's been sliced and cubed. Plenty of onjun, garlic and jalapeno peppers, plus a few habaneros thrown in to ensure yer butt puckers the next day My chili will stand the test of having a spoon or fork stand up in it. None of that weak watered down stuff. I like my recipe because it has some constants, but I can change up the spice ingredients pretty much as I feel fit. So no real recipe except to taste. I think you'd like it in spite of the beans. My missus will only eat it with rice because she says it's too spicy by itself.

It snowed all day here ! Dang!!! And it was still snowing when I cleaned the car off at the Save On parking lot. The Henday was moving nicely and I counted 4 big plows keeping it clean. Spoda snow all night and most of tomorrow. Great, that will be somewhere around 15+ cm before it stops. ( that's around 7" to our southern readers). It might be more depending on Ma Natures mood....

Time to hunker down and watch a show on TV before I call it a day. Been a long one.
Old December 1st, 2018, 06:53 PM

Allan, that was really nice of you to participate in the food drive, I usually try to buy 4-5 turkeys to donate to the local food pantry. Been raining like a son of a gun here, the snows almost gone, but it is back in the forecast for tomorrow. I use beans in my chili as well, red kidney, and the black beans. I have to make it pretty mild now a days due to acid reflux. I also like to make the white chili a couple of times during the winter, scooping it with big blue corn chips. Hmm, now I got the munchies.
Old December 1st, 2018, 07:54 PM
Oh no, not again...

Allan, the "Haus Falkenstein" sucks so hard it draws vacuum. Over cooked, bland and expensive. And just schnitzel too, nothing else. Went there once and that was enough.
The wedding party didn't pick up anyone's tab, Germans are notoriously cheap, especially refugees from Saxony. It was pretty awkward, and we didn't even get a drink out of it when we congratulated them. The Polish waiter just rolled his eyes and laughed when I muttered something about their lack of manners.
Mighty decent of you to help with the Stuff a Bus campaign; my coin club raises money for the Food Bank at it's annual Christmas Auction.
You guys all talking about ketchup; - here in Canada it's put on absolutely everything, from eggs to Filet Mignon. My wife and kid are ketchup fiends, they'd go nuts if there wasn't at least a litre of the junk on hand. As for myself, I've still got a European palette; in fact, put ketchup on anything ethnic that I cook and you're liable to end up wearing the whole mess. Hot dogs, yeah, I agree; mustard but no ketchup, that's for the fries. And as much as I loved Coke, I can't drink it anymore. Now it's just limp-wristed Perrier.
I can't make a good chili to save my life. Always too bland. The crap in the can has too much sugar in it, I end up getting severe muscle cramps after eating it. Need a good recipe; anyone got one?

Just swapped out a headlight in the wife's Rogue. It was a damn sight easier than doing a headlight in a Buick! That's the way things should be! The car itself is kind of "meh", but servicing it and maintaining it is easier than that Lacrosse we used to have. The only bad thing about the Nissan is that buzz-box they have for a transmission; - so we got the fluid changed and bought extended coverage on it. It reminds me of an old Buick Dynaflow, except that it revs a lot higher and doesn't pull as hard. But it's the same idea, no gears to shift, one speed does all.

Anyway; that's about it from here...gonna be shoveling the white crap again tomorrow, hasn't stopped "lightly snowing" (those liars at the weather office...)
Have a good evening!
Old December 1st, 2018, 10:51 PM

Good morning everyone. Sunday here. And snow too. Havent showeled even once yet. Since i got tired of shoveling our longish uphill road to house, and still being left down to street, i went and sold wifes Honda and bought 4*4 Subaru Forester No problems getting up anymore

So, for me, its HOPEFULLY 3 more days of work anymore, ending to our independence day, 6.12. looking ahead ~4 month vacation.
Luckiest half got away this friday, a bit jealous for them

AllanAR - we will see on daily basis again on next week and onwards.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 07:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Drab and dreary when I woke up this morning, but it's getting lighter out, and it's supposed to actually be nice this afternoon. We'll see. Though any time it isn't raining is better.

Awful house was busy but not crazy this morning. Saw a friend of mine I hadn't seen in awhile so that was good.

Marc I didn't know the Rogue had a CVT transmission. I have a car built in the Netherlands that I believe debuted that trans. It's a DAF. They called the trans a Variomatic. But alas, I've never driven mine. It exists in a state of disrepair, oh.

I like my Mom's chili. Just ground beef, kidney beans, and a little chili powder. Neither of us likes spicy things, so she makes it mild. Good stuff. My Dad got me putting chili on jelly crackers. Sounds weird but it's good.

Think I'll clean up around the yard a little today. Everything is a muddy mess but there's a few branches down and I need to check out a couple places where Tiger has been spending too much time. It will be early for me tonight so I can get up for work in the morning. This week I have a class Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday to learn how to operate the eddy current machine. I hope it isn't a lot of theory and math, because I don't give a damn about all that. Really it just looks like you put the rim on the machine and the machine does everything.

Hope everyone enjoys Sunday. See you's all later.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 08:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
It is another beautiful day here with blue skies. It is going to be a little cooler today with the high in the low 60's. I am going to try and finish my outside Christmas lights today. I have two short strings that go up higher on the house above the second floor. I will use gutter and roof clips. I have to drag out the big ladder and very carefully climb up against my wife's and daughter's wishes. I do a self evaluation of my condition before I get that high on a ladder. I plan on doing it two more years and after I turn 75 I will quit regardless of my condition. Trust me, I am super careful.
Allan, I would eat your chili anytime and it sounds very good. I actually don't mind beans in chili although I don't use them. Marc, if you want to make some good chili that is very easy, get some Wick Fowlers 3 alarm chili mix. He as one of the chili gods in Texas. Just follow the directions and then you can make it as mild or hot as you want. I don't know if it is available in Canada but I am sure it is available online. Carrol Shelby's (yes the race car Mustang guy) is another good one.
That is about it for the moment. Gotta get the lights finished.
Later
Glenn
Old December 2nd, 2018, 12:58 PM

Did cha miss me?

QUOTE=slantflat;1139715]
Maybe we should plan another Good Morning thread get together. We could all meet at The Varsity..[/QUOTE]

What Mike's speaking of is, Several years ago,Sandy and her husband, John and his better half me and the Super model and Mike, met up at the Fox theater for a tour ,https://www.foxtheatre.org/

had lunch at Mary Mac's [southern cooking] and then drove to the Cyclorama

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlant...vil_War_Museum.

It was a fun day with sum Olds friends that had never met. Since I spent my childhood in the balcony of the Fox and since they've moved the Cyclorama We need to find some other places to tour.

I used to take people to see the Jap Zero parked down town but they moved the sucker a few years back.

Let me give it sum thought.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 09:12 PM
Oh no, not again...

A meet up would be interesting; I'd need some lead time to get things together, but it would be interesting. For one, I've never been to the eastern US, north or south.

Glenn, Thanks for the Chili suggestions; I'm going to look for that Wick Fowler's stuff. I know what you mean about ladders, I had a 6 inch fall about 6 years ago now that resulted in me tearing the quad off my kneecap. Missed the last rung of a step, and landed on my right foot (which was fractured) and the torn quad. I won't go into how much pain that was, I never want to live through that again. Put my lights up last week and I'm glad I did; it hasn't stopped snowing yet this weekend. A ladder today would be positively dangerous.

Mike, why am I not surprised that you have a DAF. The only car in the world that goes just as fast in reverse as it does forwards. Probably won't take much to get it running; - it's a 2 stroke and you just need a slope. Just make sure you've got the right gear selected or you could get a surprise if it lights off. Post a picture of that thing and show the rest here just how beautiful it is. That car makes a 2CV look positively artistic. Another weird car from that period that would be right up your alley would be a Panhard-Levasseur Dyna from about 1959-63 or so. It definitely puts the frog in French cars. Apparently they were pretty quick too. And then there's the much maligned Trabant; - I loved it when "Motor Trend" ran a contest to give one away after the Wall fell; - "Give us one good reason not to crush this car and it's yours", no word if they gave it away considering they couldn't even get it licensed to do a road test. They had to run it on a closed track. And speaking of strange cars, do you know where I could find a 1956-60 Borgward Isabella TS sedan or Coupe?

Jamesbo, - Where'd they move the Jap Zero to? Was it a real one? They're pretty rare, there are only 2 or 3 left in existence. I saw my first one in Seattle last year. It's one of the ones that actually still flies too.

And now off to the old fart-sack...5 AM comes awfully early, probably have to shovel my way out again considering it's still snowing out there. Shoveled 3 times today already.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 01:49 AM

mawn'in

Well tis Monday With the help of Advil, gonna try even with bummed elbow

Nailhead,

It was rotting away sitting outside behind a chain link fence of an "Antique" [read junk] museum. I guess someone bought it and took it away

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 3rd, 2018, 06:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning??? everyone

Ugly morning actually. We got over 12" of snow here yesterday. Like Marc, I shoveled 3 times yesterday and this morning it looks like it's never been done. Idiot neighbor got a single staqe snow thrower and blew his snow all over my sidewalk. He doesn't seem to mind and the problem is he's just stupid. Doesn't seem to know the throw shute has an adjustable tip to direct snow lower. He has it shooting up 25' in the air.

Off to see the dentist this morning to get the pearly whites cleaned. Wonder if I should cancel and go when the roads aren't so bad. There's a parking ban starting at 01:00 tomorrow morning to help the crews clear the roads. Hahahaha, no one ever complies and the city never tows them out of the way or tickets them either. Why even bother? Just plow them in and let them find out the hard way. I'm sick of these idiots.

Jim - ya gonna try tennis? Mebbe it will give you 'Golf' elbow and you'll be cured...
Old December 3rd, 2018, 07:48 AM

I jes can't play today. I can swing the club but when I take a divet it kills my elbow

Gotta save my elbow to bend tonight at the annual ' Buckhead Boys meeting"

James Dickey [who wrote among other things "Deliverance" ] went to the same high school I went to in Atlanta, [about 40 years earlier] He wrote a poem about going home and looking for all his old friends. Anyway, We have party once a year so everyone will know where everyone is and won't have ta 'Look'. It raises money for a charity and is kind cool to have several generations of [Guys only] that went to the same school.

Guess who caters it? The Varsity of course

Old December 3rd, 2018, 08:34 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Okay morning so far on a Monday. We have a "town hall" meeting at noon, that's where some muckity muck spouts off about how much he's contributed to the company and we all fall asleep.

Jamesbo that's too bad you got up so early and couldn't play. Whitey lives another day. Hope you have a big time at the reunion tonight.

Marc there was a guy here about a year or so ago who was installing a 6 cylinder into an Isabella, even though this particular model never came with one. Beautiful cars. I'm pretty sure my DAF is a four stroke, but with two cylinders. I go out and look at it once in a while, but if it never runs that's okay, I just wanted to have a car from my ancestral land. I could buy one out of Chicago that runs, but it has copious amounts of rust and he wants too much. His might actually be a Volvo.

If I woke up and saw 12 inches of snow I'd go back to bed. And probably twitch.

If we went to the Fox, now that the "ghost" is no more, maybe we'd be able to tour the luxury apartment. And, the Cyclorama is in a different place now, with previously unseen sections added to it. I'd still get the ordering wrong at Mary Mac's.

Okay gonna get ready for the meeting. This afternoon I have my choice of digging weeds out of the shop's driveway, or changing oil in the dogmobile. Gonna be nice but cool. See ya's.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:03 AM

Hello fellas...It seems you guys are on first name basis. My name is Howard. Seems the weather warmed up again....I actually took the day yesterday to clean out my garage. After i had organized everything, it still looks like a mess except now I have more room. I have seen some garages that people have on this site and I was embarrassed as to how my garage looked so decided to bite the bullet and give it a clean. Not exactly happy with the results but content. I need to install cabinets and a workstation. I also was thinking of building small room for storage but that will be left on the back burner for while until I can actually have time to build it.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:06 AM

Welcome Howard,

Trust me if ya build a "small room" for storage, it'll be full the very 1st day

Search this Thread