The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2018, 01:24 PM

Mike, Jes set the jacks on solid cap blocks
Old October 26th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Always room for one more

I thought about cap blocks but wondered if they'd split if they got too much force on them. What about blocks of oak, like the huge things tow truck drivers have? Of course, I'd have to go find some. Or maybe plates of steel? I'd have to find them, too. There's a metal place close to me, that would be easy.

Old October 26th, 2018, 03:51 PM

Put the steel plates over the cap blocks to distribute the weight
Old October 27th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Dreary looking out but the rain is gone and it's going to be nice tomorrow. Not sure how warm it's supposed to get today, but no rain is a plus.

Busy at the Awful house today. Got there kinda early and didn't stay too long.

I've been wanting to go look at a convertible Mustang, but the guy is not easy to pin down for a time. He only wants to text, and he's fairly quick answering, but he won't tell me what a good time is. I think I'll just text him one last time and tell him when he actually wants to sell the car, let me know.

Going for pizza tonight, couldn't tell you the last time I was up there. Gonna meet my friend up there. He goes to some place close by and has his wife's jewelry cleaned, so I said I'd meet him. I thought I might take Tiger, but he'd be impossible driving an hour home with the left over pizza.

Guess I'll find something to do. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old October 27th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,

What can I say? It's been a hectic few days and I was really tired by last night. Then to cap off the day I got an email from my best friend who just found out he could have brain cancer. He's at the Hopkins being assessed today. I have my fingers crossed that the diagnosis is wrong.

Mike - I'm sorry I missed Sandy's birthday. I know it means a lot to you. My belated BD wishes. From the sounds of it, you might have to reinforce your flooring for tiles? Maybe extra sheets of 1/2" plywood to beef it up? Good luck with the floor jacking; I hope it solves your problem with the stove sag.

Marc - Hahahaha, I didn't say what day the film at 11 would be.

Glenn - Good to hear everything is going well for you.

Jim - sounds like you might have to start the cooking school du jour again.
Old October 27th, 2018, 01:36 PM

Allan, I hope that the prognosis for your friend will be better than what it could be. I got an email from FB notifying me of Sandy's birthday. I'm not sure what to do. I was down at my brothers house this afternoon, looking at options as to whether or not to replace a 40 year old septic tank, and replace the failed drain field, or to hook up to city water and sewage. Either way $5-7000 is a low dollar amount, it may be much more. I was hoping that the hook up to the city down there would be cheaper, but it may not be. I will take a day off next week to talk with the officials as to get a dollar amount for the permits.
Old October 27th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Oh no, not again...

Not much on the go today, took the Electra out to breakfast today with the coin guys, went to the usual "Albert's" on 124 st, it sucks so hard it draws vacuum but we've been going there for the past 10 years so we kind of own shares by default. Went to the flea market on 111th, and came a away with a nice 1974 Seiko and an Admiral from about 1940, all for the cost of a breakfast. Both run, so I don't have to do anything except clean them up. Then ended up driving to the south side, visited the coin shop, but nothing good there.

That wreck of a pocketwatch I was working on the other day is actually running, and I don't know why. It has so many inherent problems, yet it's pounding away happily on my desk right now. I'm not going to complain, nor will I sink any more time into it. One I am a little cheesed off about is my very incredibly rare German "Kriegsmarine" chronograph pocketwatch. I spent a fair bit of money getting it repaired (the mech is way beyond my meager skills) I demagnetized it this morning, but I still can't get it to regulate. It runs and works, it's just the hairspring is slightly buggered up and won't regulate. It runs like an absolute toilet. So no matter what I do it will loose time. I have to try and find a new hairspring for it, but I'm not entirely sure who made the movement. This watch is the 3rd of 2 known; the other survivors are both in worse shape. The rest of the production run is lying on the bottom of the Atlantic with about 1000 German U-boats. They were used to time torpedoes and for navigation. It has a stopwatch feature with a flyback so it's quick set. One of the others was auctioned off at Christie's in London a couple of years ago, and it fetched an outrageous price. I bought mine at a Surplus store in Victoria, the owner thought himself an expert on WWII collectibles yet didn't know anything about this watch, let me have it for $50.So, the research and the search continues; I think I've narrowed down the maker to a guy in Berlin who was an agent for a Swiss company. So the reason why this one survived in good condition is because it probably was in the shop getting fixed and missed the boat. These things were assigned to boats, not to individuals. Right now it's in my pocket and it's run continuously for 10 hours, which is the most it has ever run without banking and quitting. It's actually sounding better now than it did this morning, - weird.

So that's about it...have a great evening!
Old October 28th, 2018, 05:41 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Pizza was excellent and it was a nice drive up there. I swapped out the dogmobile for the Cruze and took it. I haven't driven that car in months. Still thinking it's going away, though. On the way home I stopped at my work and used the blaster machine on a TR6 rim and the white DUKW's anchor. Both turned out beautifully. It's supposed to be in the 70s today so I can get them painted up.

You know Marc some time around the era of your Oldsmobile there was a clock in the middle of the steering wheel that wound itself as you steered. Don't know if the other divisions had it.

That's a tough one, Dan. City water is nice, but being stuck with yet another government entity (and accompanying bill every month) isn't nice. I wouldn't have guessed that the city would make you pay to hook up, at least all at once.

Allan I don't have tile down yet, it's just the plywood floor. The carpet has been long gone because my dogs chewed it up or whatever. Tiger is not near as hard on carpet as the other two were, so I might consider putting carpet back down.

I decided to skip the Awful house today. Gonna get myself together and go over and work on the Dodge van I got off that church last year. My plan is to mount a generator, air compressor, and water tank in the back. That way I can drive it to anyplace on the property that I need lights or work and I won't have to have utilities installed. It's a 3/4 ton Maxi so it should be a good platform. Anyone need three rows of seats out of a Dodge?

Well I guess I'd better do something. Have a good day everyone.
Old October 28th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Oh no, not again...

Mike, I've been looking for one of those clocks, it was available in 1952 and apparently was an 8 day clock. It was located below the hub in it's own housing on the steering wheel. I have no idea whether it bolted on the spoke or if it was cast in the wheel, but I'm sure it was an incredibly rare option as it seems it was offered for 1 year only. The 52 wheel was a 3 spoke wheel, and the 53 is just 2 spoke, so I'd have no where to put it. But hey, it would look great on a wall in the garage...you'd just have to make the mount to the wall able to spin, because that's how it was wound up, by turning the wheel.

Just found out this morning that both of the clubs I belong to have lost a member; the coin club lost it's longest surviving member, he had a membership number of less than 100, and he was at one point the leading authority on Canadian paper money, and the watch club lost it's master machinist; this guy could fashion and make anything out of metal; I have on my watch chain a model of a clevis that he fabbed out by hand. Considering how much he shook it was amazing he could do anything, but he made wonderful stuff out of metal, and just recently he knocked out all the dents in a watch case for me. He died of cancer. Both guys were in their late 80s, so they had good long lives. And they both will be missed, not only by family but by all of us who they came into contact with, for their wit, personality, skills and knowledge of what they were passionate about.
Old October 28th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not a great Sunday. It's miserable outside. No snow thank God, but it's cool and windy. Marc can verify that. News from the hospital just now isn't all that great. There's a chance this tumor could also cause vision loss. It's already taking a serious toll on him and his family.

Looks like I'm giving my sickness away to the rest of the family. I was getting a bit better. now I'm walking around the house with a fleece blanket draped over me to stay warm. My Mrs is not pleased with me; nothing new there i guess

Marc - Interesting story about German clocks of WWII. A visiting Swiss agent goes to a German watchmaker with a complaint about his watch. He says, "My clock is defective. It only goes 'tic...tic...tic...tic...' unlike the others, which go 'tic...toc...tic...toc...'." "No problem", says the watchmaker, taking the clock from its owner. He then shines a light in the clock's face and says menacingly, "We have ways to make it toc."

Mike - I don't know the building code in GA. Up here the joists can't be more than 16" on center and the floor must be at least 3/4" ply or 1" OSB. If you have a crawl space you might also want to check whether you can put some 2x8 blocking between the joists where the stove is to stiffen the floor up. I'd move the stove first though if it's possible. We stayed away from tiles as they tend to feel cold and they're uncomfortable to walk on.

Dan - I still have the last conversation I had with Sandy in my Messenger account. I go back and read it every so often. She was up late one night and I messaged her and we chatted for a bit. I didn't even tease her with stuff about Teepo, like the time we zinged her about the 710 cap. Good memories.

Jim - I had to look up cap blocks. Should work as long as the soil there isn't too soft.

Another inside day today. Time for chicken zoop.
Old October 28th, 2018, 01:08 PM

I'm back from de mountains

Allan, Down erre when ya get people the top soil ya got good ole Georgia red clay. It pretty muc like brick and should hold the jacks fine

I was speaking to my 92 YO uncle this weekend whose is an opera buff.He likes to tease me with riddles about opera. I know a little but am not in his league. Anywho Last weekend he raddled off about 6 names of operas and asked me why those were the only ones he listened too growing up [ on the radio] I thought about it all week and finally figure out why. They were all French operas. When he was a pup,[1930's] there was so much dislike for Germans and Italians, they didn't even play their music

Amazing how the world has changed
Old October 28th, 2018, 02:37 PM

Worked half a day today, feeling crappy, but I gotta go get the groceries, and then I'm going to hunker down for the evening. Oh, and carve the pumpkin.
Old October 29th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Oh joy, everyone here is sick now.....

Jim - didn't know that about GA. You headin out to learn what whitey is trying to avoid??? 47/45

Dan - traditional punkin?
Old October 29th, 2018, 08:55 AM

Dan - traditional punkin?
As in orange with a carved face 'n lit up? yep.
Old October 29th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hahahahaha, nope like this:
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Everybody:
Lucy and I had a nice walk this morning. After the food I ate this weekend I need to be walking all day. It wasn't as bad as I expected when I stepped on the scales this morning. We had a nice time over in Marshall, Texas on Saturday and yesterday with my wife's cousin and her husband. They are a little older than we are but my wife and her cousin are more like sisters. It is funny that I have known her cousin longer than I have know my wife since we went to the same church when we were kids. We went up to Jefferson, Texas about 15 miles north of Marshall on Saturday. It is a historic town but there is not really a lot to it. We had dinner at a restaurant in the old hotel by the train station called The Ginocchio which was the name of the hotel. It was one of the best meal I have had in a long time. I had blackened red snapper and it was outstanding. It was not a cheap place but worth it for a special occasion. We had lunch yesterday at Jucys Burgers (not misspelled). It was the best burger I have had in a quite a while. It was probably at least a third pound and had grilled onions on it. I could smell the onions when we got out of the car. Finished it off with Blue Bell Ice Cream. Have a pretty busy week ahead. I have to take my wife to the doctor for a spinal injection on Tuesday and then take the Olds over the Arlington (about 30 miles) to get the leak fixed in the rear tailshaft. It won't be ready until the following week.
Allan, did you carve that punkin? What a nice job.
That is about it for the moment. Have a good day Olds Friends.
Glenn
Old October 29th, 2018, 12:01 PM

As usual, smack whitey this morning.

Now, I'm officially beginning "THE BIG PURGE"

Dumpster arrived this afternoon and I'm starting to throw away 40 years of crap accumulated on my farm [which is now a cemetery. ] It;s gonna feel good to get rid of junque
Old October 29th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Busy for a Monday. Started out like gangbusters and then tapered off and was the last one finished. I didn't care, we still left a little bit early.

Glenn glad you had a good trip. I'd like to take a road trip some time when I could enjoy myself. It seems whenever I'm traveling long distances I'm pressed for time.

As usual, I'm going to sit Halloween out. Nothing good comes of it in my neighborhood. Actually the last couple years there have been hardly any trick or treaters around. Most of them were adolescent types that really shouldn't have been out. I think it was a front for casing the place.

It's beautiful out so I think I will do some painting. The rim and anchor that I blasted the other day need painting, and does a headlight bezel for the blue van that I've had for about three years. That rim turned out so nice I hate to paint it. Now I just need to find someone who need a TR6 rim.

Okay the afternoon awaits. See you's all later.
Old October 29th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo you snuck in there before me. Don't throw anything good away. I'll be right up.
Old October 29th, 2018, 01:26 PM

Mike, I think ya need sum rusty hog wire and other objects d'art. Empty paint buckets, old cow feeders, broken screens and broke freezers. I'ms getting sick and tired of being sick and tired of this junk
Old October 29th, 2018, 04:02 PM

Angry

A long busy day and I wanted to chew out a couple truck drivers.Work as a semi and heavy equipment mechanic and my boss also owns a trucking place.Had to change a blend door motor in an International and this driver had a pile load of garbage in the passenger seat area including on the floor up to the seat.I took out 4 full garbage cans full of garbage before I worked on it and this driver had $20.00 taken from his paycheck for a cleaning fee.Then it was a Kenworth another driver put diesel in the diesel exhaust fluid tank,this one was a nightmare and seen this so many times.I am waiting for parts which are on order now.My boss chewed his butt out for it.Fixed a John Deere front end loader too,had an oil leak which an oil line was leaking.
Old October 29th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Always room for one more

Well Summit is done for the season. It will start back up in April. Good turnout. The yellow W30 was there but I couldn't get a picture. Ah well, there's always next year. The sole other Oldsmobile was the 67 Supreme 4 door hard top with the Chevy engine. Well, whatever gets it going, I guess the 330 was toast.

Jamesbo I guess I don't need any of that stuff, I have enough paint buckets and scrap metal sitting around of my own. Don't throw out the sand blaster by mistake.

Okay off to bed. Up extra early for overtime. Good night everyone.
Old October 29th, 2018, 09:51 PM

Allan, I always love the pumpkins that people carve (like the one you posted). lessee if i can find one in my files.
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:18 AM

Headed to the big city to get my ivory cleaned

Then the purge begins

Mike, I promise not to toss anything you could use. Do yo need a model A head light

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:40 AM
Always room for one more

Hell ya I do.

Good morning everyone.

Jamesbo stuff like that is right up my alley. What I really need you to find is a tail gate and glass for Trailering Special 83 Suburban. Or maybe a side window for a Deuce and a half.

Busy this morning but not like yesterday. Came in early just in time to participate in the fire drill. We're going to have another one in a couple hours. I expect that one will last awhile.

Question for the all knowing. Can I take my car to a body shop and have them adjust the doors and glass? Or where would I take it if not there? My convertible leaks and I'm gonna take the carpeting out and get new stuff, but before it goes back in I'd like it to stop leaking at least a little. That's where the water is getting in, between the two side windows and over the top by the top frame.

Okay back on our heads.
Old October 30th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning All:
I have to grab a shower in a few minutes and get ready to take my wife to the doctor. She has a spinal injection this morning and we are hopeful this will give her some relief from the pain she had been having.
Mike, you may find a body shop that will do that work but it may take a few tries. Most are just interested in doing insurance work since that is where the money is. A trim shop may be better at adjusting the windows. Getting a convertible to not leak can be a real challenge. All the weatherstrips on my 54 have been replace but it still leak like crazy. I never take it out in the rain but have been caught at out of town shows a couple times. That is why I converted it to electric wipers.
Dan, I am not sure I will be able to eat pumpkin pie again. That one is funny.
Later Olds Friends
Glenn
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:06 AM

Glenn, don't worry the pies are fine! I have a good friend of mine with degenerative disc disease, who has had a spinal injection for pain relief. Not sure if it is the same injection that your wife is getting. I know that the injection hurt like hell, but it gave great relief from pain. The down side is that it only lasts a couple of months and he is getting it done again. I hope that your wife has better long term results.
Old October 30th, 2018, 09:44 AM

Glenn, Good luck with your bride

Mike, I'm gonna vote fro trim shop to help ya with de leaks
Old October 30th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Always room for one more

Just beautiful out. I'm going to go do the painting I was going to do yesterday.

The dayshift fire drill was a complete waste of time, as far as I'm concerned. The email everyone got said that it was mandatory that we participate. In TOC 3 we were the only department who did what we were supposed to. And then as an added bonus, when the drill was over we had to go stand in the hall, which was the tornado drill. Which was odd because all the other people were trying to get past all of us and the foreman got mad when the trash guy came through with his little trolley and everyone yelled at him. So that signaled the end of that drill. In addition the gates to the parking lot are closed and no one can get in, or out.

There's a really good trim shop near me, I'll ask him what he thinks about the windows and the doors. I think the top could use some adjusting anyway.

Okay gonna go enjoy this day. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old October 30th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - Hope that injection helps your missus. No fun being in pain.

Dan - Hahahahah - good one bud! Punkin pie isn't my favorite though and now it's even less so.

Mike - Just a thought on the windows: What about taking it to a glass shop for that, and like the others said try a trim shop for the doors. When the rear doors on my 98 were out of whack they used a lever type of tool to basically muscle it into the proper position. I think they actually bent the door a bit doing it but it worked.

Jim - have fun with the deep six project.

Crash and burn at the Granite today. The front end on this team needs new bushings, ball joints, control arms etc
Old October 30th, 2018, 01:30 PM

Took ten loads [garden cart] to the dumpster. Can even tell I'm purging. Some of this crap has become kinda like permanent fixtures. I used to have a nice wood working shop [with house parts/paint, nails, screws etc] that slowly become a mite one day finish this project junk room Ya can't tell you how many implements [sans handle] I was going to replace. I'm werking from the top down. Then sweep out everything left. I'm gonna bring back my hand truck from the mountains and toss 2 broken freezers

When I finish the shop [ my garage isn't too bad] I gonna tackle the green house and a few of the 3 out buildings.

As luck would have it, miss News lady wants to come tomorrow and do the story on the cemetery [which could be a real shot in the arm]

So I gotta balance getting filthy purging tomorrow with looking spic and span for the TV with going to a friends funeral [ not at my place]

Never a dull day

Old October 30th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So is she gonna show up this time?? Already has a swing and a miss.
Isn't it fun sorting through all that stuff you haven't seen for decades???
Old October 30th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo is this a project that's going to take awhile? I could take a couple days off next week and come up and help after I get back from my Mom's.
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Oh no, not again...

Not much to report from my end, teaching a lot of "emergency" safety courses as the plant I work for makes quickie changes in production. Makes for long and exhausting days.

Haven't got the gumption to tear down another watch; all this talk about sore backs is making mine act up, and of course, swinging a Scott Air pack on and off a couple of times hasn't helped. I have degenerative disc disease, my L-4 and L-5 are worn right out. The money I spend at a chiropractor or in Robax is incredible. You get good days and bad days, and believe me, I'm kind of worried what it'll be like to tackle another restoration again. 10 years ago it was still possible; fortify with enough beer and anything is possible. However, diabetes and bad backs being what they are, can't do that anymore and I'm a little worried. The last thing I want to do is start something and then have to junk it because my body says "no".

Glenn, I can empathize with your wife's struggles, I hope things get better for her.

Allan, - Still throwing rocks at the moon, er, bullseye? Have to admire that you can still do that, my back says "no" to that sort of thing.

Jamesbo, - I admire the fact that you're attacking what gets a lot of "collectors" (ok, hoarders?) in trouble; more power to you and I hope you get it cleared up like you envision it. It's a great feeling and a load off the mind when done.

Mike, Based on my experiences: A bodyshop will adjust your convertible but it'll cost you. They may not know how to adjust the roof, and that has to be done carefully or you could rip things. I had the people who redid my roof do the alignment, and they promptly buggered up one of the release catches to the point where I had to buy a new handle. But bodyshops are better equipped to line up doors and a good bodyman can set up a set of doors inside an hour. A lousy one will take all day and a box of shims and still not get it right.

Anoldslady: Welcome, and please give us a name, even a pseudonym, it's better than a handle, unless it's your given name; if that's the case I apologize...
Old October 30th, 2018, 08:46 PM

Mike what year of convertible? When I had my '73 Cutlass (40 years ago), one of the windows was way out of whack, so I removed the door panel and loosened the nuts on the tracks for the window and farted around with the adjustments until it was good. When I had my '77 Cutlass, the inner door framework had changed so much that I couldn't access anything with the door panel off. Just take the M35 over to Jamesbo's place and load 'er up. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Pumpkin pie anyone?
Old October 31st, 2018, 05:05 AM

mawn'in

The Super model decided she didn't wanta watch "Date line " early in the morning" "too upsetting"

So, She turned it on the Hallmark channel. WAY to upsetting for me. I'd rather see unsolved mysteries of murdered ex wives. Than a hour of a family looking for their lost dog

Purge day may be on hold today. It's gonna be kinda like a frame off restoration of my life. I gotta keep it down to manageable bites, like eating and elephant

Old October 31st, 2018, 06:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone, and Happy Halloween.

Spoda start raining here in the early afternoon so chances are we wont see a lot of kids this year. At least I won't because I'm not in the mood. I told the missus that a month ago and she didn't believe me. Now she's sick so she won't be answering the door either.

Jim - Don't let that project go too long or you can add the dumpster to yer collection.

Dan - Is that with vanilla ice cream?? If it is I might take a small slice

Marc - yes sir, I curl 4x a week (Tues-Fri) starting at 9:30. Sometimes I wonder if I bit off more than I should have, but so far alls good. BTW, anoldslady is an ex marine and her real name is Alex. She just found her dream Toronado.

Got the back windows washed yesterday. I suspect that's the last of the decent weather to do anything outside.

A question for the specialists with snowblowers. My Sno Tek has a surging idle. I know what's wrong with it but don't have the 1/64 drill bit I need to ream out the (plastic) slow idle valve. Wondering if I soak it in TB cleaner if that might help dissolve any crud, then I can use a needle to ream it out?? Opinions welcome.

Happy humpday everyone.
Old October 31st, 2018, 10:42 AM

Allan, I'm pretty sure they want it back
Old October 31st, 2018, 10:56 AM

To the gentleman and especially his wife who is living with back troubles. I feel your pain and everything it brings not only to the sufferer but to the entire family. I had my 4th back surgury in February this year, the second within 18mo. My latest did not go well, I walked into the hospital and was wheeled out. I have no feeling in my right ankle/foot. I can now walk but need a special brace on my leg. No matter what, you can always find the strength to recover. I have PT twice a week, I get better every day, but yes it is a struggle especially now that I am really retired I want to work on my Cutlass. It is hard, wish I had a helper but it is what it is. My surgery both #3 and #4 consisted of 4 vertebrea. L3, L4, L5, and S1. These are the very lowest in ones spine, so mostly the pain is affecting the legs. I pray for the couple who is living with this infiction. People just don't realize how bad it can be. Good luck to you all and hope your Dr. is treating you very well.
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:32 AM

Sorry Allan, whipped cream only! A former doctor recommended back surgery to me 20 years ago, I said when I can no longer walk or it effects my daily life. He wanted to know why, I said that I never met anyone that had back surgery that would recommend it. I'm no where near that point yet, but wonder if I can go the next 4 1/2 years until retirement, as it bothers me more and more everyday.